Do you like this years line-up?

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 93

nordictat2
Lowly Peon

Re: Overall, Do You Like This Years Lineup?

Postby nordictat2 » Tue May 19, 2015 12:12 pm

I like some of the bands on this years but it seems a few bands have been repeated too soon. Ihsahn played in 2012 and Emperor last year and now Ihsahn again? That slot could of went to someone who HASN'T played BOA yet. Then again, just my opinion :P
INCIPIT - Norwegian Black/Death Metal
http://www.facebook.com/IncipitNorway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu0OOjOfkCI
Norway's M2M Bloodstock winner 2015

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Tue May 19, 2015 12:43 pm

nordictat2 wrote:I like some of the bands on this years but it seems a few bands have been repeated too soon. Ihsahn played in 2012 and Emperor last year and now Ihsahn again? That slot could of went to someone who HASN'T played BOA yet. Then again, just my opinion :P

Ihsahn's not too bad, it was 2011 he last played, and as far as I know hasn't played the UK since. He's not taking up a huge slot either. It's definitely Sabaton that stick out in my mind as being too soon a repeat, played 2 years ago, and have toured the UK many times since. Sepultura, Xerath and those twats Pritchard and Dainton are pretty bad too, but mostly because I don't really like them.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue May 19, 2015 12:48 pm

Skippy wrote:It's definitely Sabaton that stick out in my mind as being too soon a repeat, played 2 years ago, and have toured the UK many times since.

Yep. They feel like the token nod towards those of us that like power metal. It's like "well, we need a power metal band, so we'll book Sabaton". Don't get me wrong, I love the band, particularly in a live setting. But it's an uninspired booking, given how recently they've played and how often they play the UK anyway. I'm glad they're going to be there, but there are plenty of other alternatives they've overlooked.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Tue May 19, 2015 3:35 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Virtually what Dan said. Apart from he missed out Liverpool, which is bigger than most of those places. :x :P

Yeah I thought of Liverpool but figured you could drag your arses over to Manc without too much hassle :P
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue May 19, 2015 3:46 pm

Danroush wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:Virtually what Dan said. Apart from he missed out Liverpool, which is bigger than most of those places. :x :P

Yeah I thought of Liverpool but figured you could drag your arses over to Manc without too much hassle :P

It's strange with Liverpool gigs. Some bands will get a really good turnout whilst other gigs will be pitiful. It's also a problem that most potential punters won't travel from Liverpool to Manchester and vice versa. Then again some of them can't even be arsed going from the pub to the venue on the same street.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue May 19, 2015 8:30 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Danroush wrote:

It's strange with Liverpool gigs. Some bands will get a really good turnout whilst other gigs will be pitiful. It's also a problem that most potential punters won't travel from Liverpool to Manchester and vice versa. Then again some of them can't even be arsed going from the pub to the venue on the same street.

I think the scientific term is "too pissed to move" :P

nordictat2 wrote:I like some of the bands on this years but it seems a few bands have been repeated too soon. Ihsahn played in 2012 and Emperor last year and now Ihsahn again? That slot could of went to someone who HASN'T played BOA yet. Then again, just my opinion :P

To be fair I wouldn't really count Emperor in that, it's two separate musical acts and apart from Ihsahn being in both bands they have little else in common.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue May 19, 2015 8:49 pm

houston4044 wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:Then again some of them can't even be arsed going from the pub to the venue on the same street.

I think the scientific term is "too pissed to move" :P

More like "I wear the T shirts of bands but CBA going to their gigs". Hell I've even seen certain posers with a band T shirt in the pub when that actual band was playing round the corner.

"Oh you've got a Vader top on. I assume you're going" "Er, no!"
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue May 19, 2015 9:54 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:It's strange with Liverpool gigs. Some bands will get a really good turnout whilst other gigs will be pitiful.

I think that's probably true everywhere, though. Even in London, which has a reputation for having decent concert attendance, I've seen some pitiful turnouts for bands that deserved better. That being said, it's hard to understate the effect of promotion on gig attendance. Shows that have been properly promoted get better attendance and those where the promoter has just created a Facebook event and crossed their fingers that that'll be sufficient are generally less well attended.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Wed May 20, 2015 2:54 am

I have to travel to go to gigs because I don't live in a big city, so driving out of my way is too be expected. I don't really care about power metal bands being repeats because I won't be watching them anyway, but can see how it can be annoying. Its more of a shame that we have horrible headliners like Within Temptation and Trivium with no real decent alternative to watch for me.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed May 20, 2015 4:06 pm

Tet wrote:
Skippy wrote:It's definitely Sabaton that stick out in my mind as being too soon a repeat, played 2 years ago, and have toured the UK many times since.

Yep. They feel like the token nod towards those of us that like power metal. It's like "well, we need a power metal band, so we'll book Sabaton". Don't get me wrong, I love the band, particularly in a live setting. But it's an uninspired booking, given how recently they've played and how often they play the UK anyway. I'm glad they're going to be there, but there are plenty of other alternatives they've overlooked.

Maybe but I can see why they've booked Sabaton as they have a reputation for being one of the best live bands around in terms of the show they put on and within power metal, they're pretty much the most popular band in the UK right now.

Their tours consistently sell well (particularly the last one) and they are of the few power metal bands that can draw outside of one show in London. As much as I love Blind Guardian (and I went to their show in London which was very well attended) I'm not sure how well they would have drawn in other parts of the UK had they decided to do a tour. From the organisers point of view, Sabaton appeal to the kids as well whereas many other power metal bands don't seem to.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed May 20, 2015 5:24 pm

But maybe if they gave another Power Metal band a chance then the youngsters may actually give them a listen and the band may grow in popularity.

A few years ago Saxon, for example, were a band that only old farts like me liked, and would struggle to sell tickets even in London. The last few tours and it's full of youngsters. All because they got that chance at festivals. Maybe the same could happen to Helloween, Blind Guardian, Edguy, Stratovarius, etc.

Just a thought.

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Wed May 20, 2015 7:08 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:But maybe if they gave another Power Metal band a chance then the youngsters may actually give them a listen and the band may grow in popularity.

A few years ago Saxon, for example, were a band that only old farts like me liked, and would struggle to sell tickets even in London. The last few tours and it's full of youngsters. All because they got that chance at festivals. Maybe the same could happen to Helloween, Blind Guardian, Edguy, Stratovarius, etc.

Just a thought.

Hard Rock Hell have managed to snaffle Helloween for November. Despite that being a very, very different setup it does give a bit of hope.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed May 20, 2015 8:36 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:But maybe if they gave another Power Metal band a chance then the youngsters may actually give them a listen and the band may grow in popularity.

Just a thought.

But you could also say that they gave power metal a chance in the early years and they didn't see the growth they expected so don't bother now unless the band (i.e. Sabaton) don't require long term investment in order to pull a crowd for them.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Wed May 20, 2015 11:10 pm

fluffkitten wrote:
Hard Rock Hell have managed to snaffle Helloween for November. Despite that being a very, very different setup it does give a bit of hope.

They have? First I've heard of it. That's somewhat the trouble - a lot of people seem to think rock festivals should book power/heavy metal bands, whereas they want little to do with them.

houston4044 wrote:
But you could also say that they gave power metal a chance in the early years and they didn't see the growth they expected so don't bother now unless the band (i.e. Sabaton) don't require long term investment in order to pull a crowd for them.

Didn't give them growth? If it didn't give them enough growth I don't think they'd still be here, particularly as 2010 (a very power metaly year) gave them a significant crowd increase (I believe - forming the basis for their current success).

I think the issue is more of a lack of interest and knowledge from the bookers, and an unwillingness for those bands to come over here when they have a safe market in Europe. It's incredibly disappointing.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed May 20, 2015 11:34 pm

What I meant is that with the shift from power metal focused line ups to the line ups of today, the bookers may have been aiming for higher attendance numbers than what they've achieved and maybe power metal bands don't help them reach that number/growth level so have given up on it for the most part.