Do you like this years line-up?

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 93

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Re: Overall, Do You Like This Years Lineup?

Postby Warlock » Thu May 21, 2015 1:25 am

I'd be very surprised if Blind Guardian or Helloween didn't get a big crowd! And even if they didn't its only a couple of bands, I'm sure they will still be making money with all the mainstream stuff this year

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Thu May 21, 2015 2:57 am

houston4044 wrote:What I meant is that with the shift from power metal focused line ups to the line ups of today, the bookers may have been aiming for higher attendance numbers than what they've achieved and maybe power metal bands don't help them reach that number/growth level so have given up on it for the most part.

I don't think they can really tell whether or not that's true. The same year they booked Avantasia, one of the biggest power metal bands going, they had a MASSIVE increase in attendance, a couple of thousand over the previous year, which had far fewer big power metal names. Coincidence? I think not (nothing to do with the fact they booked the likes of Slayer at all).
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu May 21, 2015 8:34 am

You could go by the size of the crowd, and by all accounts I've read Avantasia had a very small crowd watching them.

mathewxentrix88
Leather Rebel

Postby mathewxentrix88 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:26 am

houston4044 wrote:You could go by the size of the crowd, and by all accounts I've read Avantasia had a very small crowd watching them.

But how many in that crowd bought tickets for the festival on the Avantasia announcement alone?Quite a few i would imagine,that's why i keep banging on about the lack of balance on the lineup.For example-the Dark Angel/Nuclear Assault announcement months ago would have persuaded the thrash fans to go but they still keep booking more and more thrash when the festival simply doesn't need any more.It's good for me by the way as thrash is my favourite sub-genre,but the power and trad fans have been shafted this year-again.I know it's too late for this year but Sabaton on one day and maybe Helloween or Powerwolf for example on another day would been enough to convince power metal fans to cough up for a weekend ticket.Look how well the Edguy tour went and the Blind Guardian gig for example.There is a fanbase out there that they are ignoring.
Yes i know we have done this before-but it still annoys me.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Thu May 21, 2015 9:36 am

houston4044 wrote:You could go by the size of the crowd, and by all accounts I've read Avantasia had a very small crowd watching them.

Yep - I was pretty much at the rail and there was no real crowding - but it could be more of how much difference one band makes on ticket sales - a complete one-off like that could be the difference between someone going and not going, despite the rest of the line up, even if its just a day ticket.

fluffkitten wrote:Hard Rock Hell have managed to snaffle Helloween for November. Despite that being a very, very different setup it does give a bit of hope.

HRH/Hammerfect have quite often had more 'Bloodstock Bands' than Bloodstock - Kamelot, Vicious Rumours, Iron Saviour, Queensryche, Raven, Iced Earth, Dream Evil etc. I presume its 'out of season' and for a touring band, trotting round the mainland festival circuit in summer is more attractive.

In addition to Gandalf's Saxon example, Testament are another that has a massive profile boost after playing BOA - before they struggled to 100 people to their gigs, Kreator are another, so are Europe.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Thu May 21, 2015 10:03 am

Skippy wrote:
fluffkitten wrote:
Hard Rock Hell have managed to snaffle Helloween for November. Despite that being a very, very different setup it does give a bit of hope.

They have? First I've heard of it. That's somewhat the trouble - a lot of people seem to think rock festivals should book power/heavy metal bands, whereas they want little to do with them.

http://www.hardrockhell.com/news.html/Helloween/

Would have preferred them at BOA or failing that Hammerfest.

Skippy wrote:
houston4044 wrote:
But you could also say that they gave power metal a chance in the early years and they didn't see the growth they expected so don't bother now unless the band (i.e. Sabaton) don't require long term investment in order to pull a crowd for them.

Didn't give them growth? If it didn't give them enough growth I don't think they'd still be here, particularly as 2010 (a very power metaly year) gave them a significant crowd increase (I believe - forming the basis for their current success).

I think the issue is more of a lack of interest and knowledge from the bookers, and an unwillingness for those bands to come over here when they have a safe market in Europe. It's incredibly disappointing.

The change happened in 2011, another year with a lot of power metal but the crowds watching the bands seemed to have shrunk. There seemed to be a big change in what people were looking for and BOA has (over?)catered for that.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Thu May 21, 2015 12:53 pm

someone else wrote:

Yep - I was pretty much at the rail and there was no real crowding - but it could be more of how much difference one band makes on ticket sales - a complete one-off like that could be the difference between someone going and not going, despite the rest of the line up, even if its just a day ticket.

Not just "could be," but is. I knew a fair few people who came because of Avantasia, especially as travelling down to London to see them would have cost nearly as much as a weekend ticket anyway when you include all the expenses. They still enjoyed other bands too, but Avantasia playing was often the thing that finally got them to buy a ticket after years of umming and aahhing.
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

jonny_chaos
Lowly Peon

Postby jonny_chaos » Thu May 21, 2015 2:01 pm

I really like this year's lineup. I don't even mind Trivium, not really. I mean, sure, I'd rather something more metal, but it's all about supply and demand and Trivium WILL sell tickets, like it or not. They ARE a metal band, it's not as if Bloodstock have gone and signed The Spice Girls or something. ;)

I will probably pass them up in favour of Delain, but that isn't the point. The point is that Bloodstock is a metal festival and Trivium are metal (albeit watered down).
LATE FOR THE KILL, EARLY FOR THE SLAUGHTER

florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Postby florencethemachine » Thu May 21, 2015 7:19 pm

Genuine question incoming; Has anyone ever seen Trivium live or listened to enough of their music to hold an informed critical opinion? I know three or four songs by them and I don't like any of them.

I basically want just want to validate my own opinion of them without having to listen to their discography.

The songs I know are:

Pull harder strings martyr
Down from the sky
In waves
Anthem

If the rest of their tracks are in a similar vein to the ones listed I will steer clear.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu May 21, 2015 8:53 pm

florencethemachine wrote:Genuine question incoming; Has anyone ever seen Trivium live or listened to enough of their music to hold an informed critical opinion? I know three or four songs by them and I don't like any of them.

I basically want just want to validate my own opinion of them without having to listen to their discography.

The songs I know are:

Down from the sky
In waves
Anthem

If the rest of their tracks are in a similar vein to the ones listed I will steer clear.

You've pretty much listened to a good selection so I guess if you didn't like anyone of them then they won't be up your street. Although I will say that having seen them live they are really good, alot heavier and good at hyping up the crowd.

Ember to Inferno= metalcore, sometimes they play a track or two off it but only occasionally.

Ascendancy= Metalcore with a bit of a "thrashy" edge, I would imagine a good 4/5 songs will be played at the fest. "Martyr", "dying in your arms", "Like Light to Flies", Ascendancy, Drowned and Torn Asunder and "Gunshot" are usually the tracks they play off it.

The Crusade= the "sell out" album, the one they were accused of trying to be Metallica. Usually only play "anthem" from the album.

Shogun= Guitar orientated album with progressive elements thrown in. Probably the least "Trivium" sounding album. Normally only play "Down From the Sky", "Into the Mouths of Hell we march" and "throes of Perdition"

In Waves= Heavier version of Ascendancy basically. The tracks they normally play off the album are normally: In Waves, Black, Watch The World Burn, Inception of the End, Dusk Dismantled, Built to Fall.

Vengeance Falls= Basically In Waves pt II, hopefully the new album will be out before BOA so they play less off this album as it's their worst one. Strife is the only song I'd come close to recommending.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:00 pm

someone else wrote:

In addition to Gandalf's Saxon example, Testament are another that has a massive profile boost after playing BOA - before they struggled to 100 people to their gigs, Kreator are another, so are Europe.

If the crowd for them was small then surely the amount of people convinced to buy a ticket off the back of them alone was small as well.

I wouldn't attribute Saxon and Testament's resurgences to BOA alone, Saxon appeared on a few tv shows are the early 2000's that helped to boost their profile again and Testament had a big media campaign behind them after "Formation of the Damnation" came out, toured with Priest and Megadeth. Both also played pretty prominent positions at Download as well, you could argue it was a mixture of all those things that boosted their profiles again.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Thu May 21, 2015 11:23 pm

florencethemachine wrote:Genuine question incoming; Has anyone ever seen Trivium live or listened to enough of their music to hold an informed critical opinion? I know three or four songs by them and I don't like any of them.

The songs I know are:

Down from the sky
In waves
Anthem

I'd say that's pretty decent mix, although I haven't heard any of Vengeance Falls. Your missing the Shogun stuff, which is pretty decent for them, but you've hit most of the song songs. Most of the rest sounds pretty bland to me, and from what I heard at Download last year, the sound even worse live.

houston4044 wrote:
If the crowd for them was small then surely the amount of people convinced to buy a ticket off the back of them alone was small as well.

I think the thing there is that more people will be interested in going to see a one-off, unique band that don't play that often, as oppose to a band that play in the UK more often. I'd buy a ticket for Avantasia alone, but as much as I like Sabaton, after seeing them plenty of times, they are only another band to see when I'm there, not a reason to go. Don't think the crowd was THAT small either, it wasn't huge for a sub-headliner, but it wasn't tiny by any means.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Fri May 22, 2015 9:12 am

houston4044 wrote:
someone else wrote:

I wouldn't attribute Saxon and Testament's resurgences to BOA alone, Saxon appeared on a few tv shows are the early 2000's that helped to boost their profile again and Testament had a big media campaign behind them after "Formation of the Damnation" came out, toured with Priest and Megadeth. Both also played pretty prominent positions at Download as well, you could argue it was a mixture of all those things that boosted their profiles again.

I think GTR was being broader for any 'unfashionable' band being put infront of a big audience - be it Download, HRH etc. Testament played BOA before FoD, at the time they were playing places like JBs in Dudley and BOA was their first big show in years. Their profile was so low that they were on the 'cancelled' 2007 bill as a mid-card under Blind Guardian and were added as a 'bonus' Thursday headliner infront of a few thousand which pretty much set the ground work for where they are now, as the likes of Metal Hammer pretended they'd liked them all along.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Fri May 22, 2015 11:36 am

houston4044 wrote:
someone else wrote:

That's not really true at all, bands like Empreror and Immortal being other good examples, as they bring in punters on their rarity value, whereas Sabaton will probably pull a big crowd but considering how many chances people have had to see them in the UK lately, they're unlikely to bring in people who otherwise wouldn't have gone.
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

mathewxentrix88
Leather Rebel

Postby mathewxentrix88 » Fri May 22, 2015 1:39 pm

Yep.I agree with Dan,i reckon Bloodstock would get 8000-10000 through the gates pretty much whoever they booked as it's an established fest.It's the rare bands like King Diamond,Avantasia,Dark Angel et al that will persuade those extra few thousand to turn up-which is why i wish the bookers would be a bit more imaginative sometimes.As i said before-Avantasia had a smallish crowd but i'm willing to bet that hundreds of people within that crowd wouldn't have been at Bloodstock at all it it wasn't for the their booking.