Do you like this years line-up?

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 93

houston4044
Denim Demon

Re: Overall, Do You Like This Years Lineup?

Postby houston4044 » Fri May 22, 2015 3:38 pm

someone else wrote:
I think GTR was being broader for any 'unfashionable' band being put infront of a big audience - be it Download, HRH etc. Testament played BOA before FoD, at the time they were playing places like JBs in Dudley and BOA was their first big show in years. Their profile was so low that they were on the 'cancelled' 2007 bill as a mid-card under Blind Guardian and were added as a 'bonus' Thursday headliner infront of a few thousand which pretty much set the ground work for where they are now, as the likes of Metal Hammer pretended they'd liked them all along.

What's this about a cancelled bill?

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Fri May 22, 2015 3:48 pm

houston4044 wrote:
someone else wrote:
I think GTR was being broader for any 'unfashionable' band being put infront of a big audience - be it Download, HRH etc. Testament played BOA before FoD, at the time they were playing places like JBs in Dudley and BOA was their first big show in years. Their profile was so low that they were on the 'cancelled' 2007 bill as a mid-card under Blind Guardian and were added as a 'bonus' Thursday headliner infront of a few thousand which pretty much set the ground work for where they are now, as the likes of Metal Hammer pretended they'd liked them all along.

2005 and 2006 had two Bloodstocks - Indoor and Outdoor. 2007 was announced in the same fashion (despite rumours that it wouldn't go ahead) with BG, Testament, Sinner, Power Quest, all confirmed for appearing at one of them. Then it went quiet and more rumours started and no communication from the organisers. Then it was announced that the indoor was cancelled and the outdoor moved to its current August position with Lacuna Coil, In Flames etc with its usual two day arrangement on Fri/Sat, but, as Testament couldn't make it, an additional day on the Thursday was added with a limited main stage bill. BG were unavailable for the new dates. This was why there were some eyebrows raised by people with longer memories when BOA organisers put the boot into the Alt.Fest debacle.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat May 23, 2015 12:02 pm

florencethemachine wrote:Genuine question incoming; Has anyone ever seen Trivium live or listened to enough of their music to hold an informed critical opinion? I know three or four songs by them and I don't like any of them.

I basically want just want to validate my own opinion of them without having to listen to their discography.

The songs I know are:

Pull harder strings martyr
Down from the sky
In waves
Anthem

If the rest of their tracks are in a similar vein to the ones listed I will steer clear.

Saw them live and thought they were very average at best. The early teenagers seemed to like them though. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Sat May 23, 2015 2:48 pm

I saw them as a support band and they were bloody awful.

To be fair that was back in 2006 and I will give them another chance, unless they clash with someone better.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat May 23, 2015 7:15 pm

someone else wrote:
houston4044 wrote:
someone else wrote:

2005 and 2006 had two Bloodstocks - Indoor and Outdoor. 2007 was announced in the same fashion (despite rumours that it wouldn't go ahead) with BG, Testament, Sinner, Power Quest, all confirmed for appearing at one of them. Then it went quiet and more rumours started and no communication from the organisers. Then it was announced that the indoor was cancelled and the outdoor moved to its current August position with Lacuna Coil, In Flames etc with its usual two day arrangement on Fri/Sat, but, as Testament couldn't make it, an additional day on the Thursday was added with a limited main stage bill. BG were unavailable for the new dates. This was why there were some eyebrows raised by people with longer memories when BOA organisers put the boot into the Alt.Fest debacle.

Didn't know that, cheers man :yes:

GTFCMike
Definitely Not Nu

Postby GTFCMike » Mon May 25, 2015 1:41 am

More yes than no with the lineup. Could be better for me, but I'm sure we can all say that. What does annoy me is when a band is announced and some tit comes along abusing the festival staff, acting like they speak for everyone. Simply put, you don't.
Come on Bloodstock. You know you want to. Hypocrisy. Sort it, Bloodstock! ;)

bloodblind
Consort of the Beast

Postby bloodblind » Tue May 26, 2015 10:24 am

Just registered finally to the forum, don't know what took me so long. Like so many bloodstock goers I feel the headliners this year are a huge let down, also there's not really anything that fantastic on the smaller stages other than Re-animator, Conan and Destrage. Really had my money on great headliners after last year, I thought Down, Emperor and Megadeth was a great combo and very strong choices. This year I really hoped we'd get some big power metal headliner like Blind Guardian or Helloween, even Judas Priest on one night. Someone like At the Gates or Behemoth another night and maybe Mastodon on another. The rest of the line up is prety dam good when you look at it but really the headliners cheapen it for me. If they still have the budge to book great bands and hike the ticket prices once again to more than graspop then why are we getting such shitty and obviously unpopular headliners. I'm still going but hoping that there's one more anouncement of someone I really would be excited to see as the headliners are leaving a lot to be desired, anti-climatic for sure

Slev
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Slev » Wed May 27, 2015 5:26 pm

Last year the RJD had nothing for me, this year there are a coupple of decent bands there.

Last year the Sophie had coupple of decent bands for me, this year there are a few more.

Looking good!

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed May 27, 2015 5:32 pm

florencethemachine wrote:Genuine question incoming; Has anyone ever seen Trivium live or listened to enough of their music to hold an informed critical opinion?

Sure, I've seen them both as a support act and a headliner. My opinion is that they're a kind of bland thrash influenced band that don't deserve anywhere near the flak they seem to get. I genuinely don't get why there's so much hate sent in their direction. I wouldn't go out of my way to see them, but they deserve their place at Bloodstock.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

bloodblind
Consort of the Beast

Postby bloodblind » Wed May 27, 2015 9:10 pm

Actually I take back what I said about the Sophie stage as I've spent a bit more time going through some of the bands I haven't heard much of and there's some gems in there. Mordred, Re-animator, Old-rake, Saille, Destrage, Bast, ageless oblivion and a few more. I'll definitely be finishing off Saturday and Sunday at the sophie stage unless I feel like a laugh at Rob Zombie, I'll probably be too fucked from the whole weekend to deal with Godflesh at the end, do like them though! In fact I'm thinking Saturday and Sunday might have some clashes going on, will have to wait and see. Like I said before its a strong line up except for the mainstage headliners. Maybe next year we could have some more real quality trad heavy metal and power metal as it seems pretty light on those these days at the fest. Not complaining about the death/thrash or black metal though as I love it, just would be amazing to have some more big power metal acts again

bloodblind
Consort of the Beast

Postby bloodblind » Wed May 27, 2015 9:25 pm

Tet wrote:
florencethemachine wrote:Genuine question incoming; Has anyone ever seen Trivium live or listened to enough of their music to hold an informed critical opinion?

Sure, I've seen them both as a support act and a headliner. My opinion is that they're a kind of bland thrash influenced band that don't deserve anywhere near the flak they seem to get. I genuinely don't get why there's so much hate sent in their direction. I wouldn't go out of my way to see them, but they deserve their place at Bloodstock.

Trivium are just crap there's not really much point trying to like them just to enjoy seeing them at BOA because there is no other option on friday night

jonny_chaos
Lowly Peon

Postby jonny_chaos » Thu May 28, 2015 11:22 am

mathewxentrix88 wrote:s.As i said before-Avantasia had a smallish crowd but i'm willing to bet that hundreds of people within that crowd wouldn't have been at Bloodstock at all it it wasn't for the their booking.

I was one of those people. And from there, my love for Bloodstock grew. I know a lot of the people at the barrier with me were there for Avantasia too, so they were there for the weekend like me as there were enough bands on the lineup in general to win me over. ;)
LATE FOR THE KILL, EARLY FOR THE SLAUGHTER

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Fri May 29, 2015 7:28 am

Regardless of the headliners and some of the line up, I am starting to get damn stoked about this, watching the countdown draw us nearer to BOA.

Looking forward to a damn fine weekend with like minded people, good music and a few ales when the bands I don't want to see are on.

All we need is a dry and sunny weekend to make it perfect! :D

Dobbydob
Consort of the Beast

Postby Dobbydob » Fri May 29, 2015 8:47 am

CharlesDexterWard wrote:Regardless of the headliners and some of the line up, I am starting to get damn stoked about this, watching the countdown draw us nearer to BOA.

Looking forward to a damn fine weekend with like minded people, good music and a few ales when the bands I don't want to see are on.

and beer....don't forget the beer :D :drink:
http://www.adam-robson.com
Long Live Strongbow Man

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Fri May 29, 2015 9:41 am

Dobbydob wrote:
CharlesDexterWard wrote:Regardless of the headliners and some of the line up, I am starting to get damn stoked about this, watching the countdown draw us nearer to BOA.

and beer....don't forget the beer :D :drink:

Lots and lots of beer! :yes: