Do you like this years line-up?

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 93

Beardy
I am the Law!

Re: Overall, Do You Like This Years Lineup?

Postby Beardy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:58 pm

I'll be avoiding them like the proverbial plague anyway. Saw part of their performance on a tour when they were playing songs from the Schizophrenia-Chaos A.D. era a few years back and wasn't impressed at all. I don't like Derrick's voice anyway but he just sounds wrong on the older songs and the lack of a second guitar really hurts them. The bottom end just drops out every time Andreas plays a solo and they really should have re-written Paolo's basslines to fill in for the lack of a rhythm guitar track as, while their simplicity worked in the context of a song written for 2 guitars and a bass, it becomes obvious just how uninteresting and basic his lines are without the 2nd guitar over the top of them. Just my opinion like, although it's the correct one ; - ) haha

Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bearstock » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:21 pm

There's definitely a lack of well known more old school bands although Overkill, Napalm Death and potentially Onslaught could be potentially argued a case for.

If you take out the headliners and BLS though there's also a lack of well known more recent bands which is why I tend to disagree with it being targeted to "the Download crowd"

For me it's a really strong line up just lacking that spark.

This undercard with say the headliners and subs from last year I'd suggest would have people creaming a bit.
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:32 pm

Not one band that released anything before 1984. No NWOBHM or Classic Rock/Metal. Something's wrong there.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:59 pm

Beardy wrote:
Blake_Porter wrote:How are seps controversial?

Leaving out the subjectivity of my own opinion (and that of many others) that they haven't released anything worth listening to for more than 20 years, they're half way up the bill on the mainstage despite having to resort to 2 for 1 ticket offers on their last tour because of lack of interest.

There's also the fact that they played only two years ago, and from what I heard didn't go down that well then anyway. They aren't much better than stompcore crap musically anyway.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:15 pm

3 years ago - and they went down well from where I was standing. For one of the 40 min slots they did the job.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:21 pm

I had enough of them murdering their own songs so went and watched a band in the NB tent who were even worse. :(
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:57 pm

Skippy wrote:
Beardy wrote:

Leaving out the subjectivity of my own opinion (and that of many others) that they haven't released anything worth listening to for more than 20 years, they're half way up the bill on the mainstage despite having to resort to 2 for 1 ticket offers on their last tour because of lack of interest.

There's also the fact that they played only two years ago, and from what I heard didn't go down that well then anyway. They aren't much better than stompcore crap musically anyway.

I enjoyed them thoroughly when they played last.

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:55 am

Only in the fact that they are a fairly recent repeat and don't seem to be a band that people were asing for, and that their newer material with Derrick has not been that well recieved, get the impression that their a bit of a meh booking, but I probably shouldn't of said they were controversial next to Rob Zombie, certainly not in the same way, but was the same point, the fact that it was 2 bands people don't seem too want on here but I like and will watch anyway. I'd basically written too much by that point too make 2 seperate examples :lol:

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:01 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Not one band that released anything before 1984. No NWOBHM or Classic Rock/Metal. Something's wrong there.

Yeah exactly, partly my point, nothing from that era, and that was usually a selling point in the past, are people who are into that kind of thing into many of the bands for 2015? I dont know, wouldn't of thought there were many

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:05 am

houston4044 wrote:
Warlock wrote:I was chatting to a friend at work the other day, and he's into some metal like Motorhead, older Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth etc and I told him he should come along to Bloodstock, and he was interested, however I struggled to name bands that either he had heard of or was into for this year's line up, the only one's he was interested in was Overkill, Sepultura and Napalm Death, and I began too see a big problem with this year's line up - its almost completely lacking those bigger Classic or Iconic bands it has had alot of in the past such as Megadeth and Saxon last year, Slayer, King Diamond, Anthrax and Exodus the year before, Alice Cooper and Testament the year before that, then Motorhead and Wasp etc etc and there seems very little for people of that kind of age group or demographic. I'm not saying all older fans only listen too older bands, but seems like there's a big hole in the line up for people into that sort of thing. Their focus for next year's seems alot more towards the Download type crowd, compounded by the amount of repeats and the pretty weak Sophie Stage so far, with a few hidden gems mixed in. Ultimately its these gems, and few more controversial choices like Rob Zombie and Sepultura that I just happen to like, the lack of any real alternative and the fact that I know I'm still going to have an amazing time that sells me a ticket.

After reading your short essay ( :P ) I half agree, BOA seem to be targeting DL audiences and traditional BOA fans (I.e. people who know the rare/gems in the line up) rather than just metal fans at large.

Beardy wrote:

I would imagine Sepultura are a bigger festival draw than at their own shows though, it's a name people recognize and being a festival you'd expect them to stick mostly to the classics rather than focus on their latest material. I wouldn't class them as controversial at all.

Yeah maybe I got a bit carried away :lol: but yeah think your right, it definitely looks that way

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:15 am

Bearstock wrote:There's definitely a lack of well known more old school bands although Overkill, Napalm Death and potentially Onslaught could be potentially argued a case for.

If you take out the headliners and BLS though there's also a lack of well known more recent bands which is why I tend to disagree with it being targeted to "the Download crowd"

For me it's a really strong line up just lacking that spark.

This undercard with say the headliners and subs from last year I'd suggest would have people creaming a bit.

Yeah maybe but their not big names like Motorhead, Slayer, Megadeth etc and unlikely to sell someone a ticket on their own. You may be right there but the headliners and subs are a big part of the line up, some people go just for these bands, and its not like some of the Download crowd won't be able to find some other bands they might like that aren't typically the band's they'd watch. I think it is the weakest line up overall for a long time, especially for most regular Bloodstock goers, but there is plenty I want to see! Yeah your right there! I think last year was really strong

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:12 pm

Too many repeats or bands that tour all the time. Too many bands I have no interest in seeing because I do not like their music.

All in all it's a no.
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:30 pm

Warlock wrote:
Yeah maybe but their not big names like Motorhead, Slayer, Megadeth etc and unlikely to sell someone a ticket on their own. You may be right there but the headliners and subs are a big part of the line up, some people go just for these bands, and its not like some of the Download crowd won't be able to find some other bands they might like that aren't typically the band's they'd watch. I think it is the weakest line up overall for a long time, especially for most regular Bloodstock goers, but there is plenty I want to see! Yeah your right there! I think last year was really strong

Granted BOA this year doesn't have the "household" name bands (bands non-metal fans will have heard of) like Motorhead, Slayer or Alice Cooper who have played in previous years; when you look at the line up it has lots of big names from niche sub-genres. When you look at it like this:

Napalm Death
Enslaved
Death
Sepultura
Cannibal Corpse
Within Temptation

I'm sure lots of metal/rock fans will know of them; and I'd go as far as to say some non-metal fans will know of say CC or Napalm Death out of novelty/controversial knowledge. The important part of how that translates to sales I don't know, but I don't think it signals a weak line up necessarily, although I concede out of that list of bands there are repeats (though apart from Sepultura none are that recent).

At the end of the day I'm getting good value for my money, I couldn't care if the line up looks crap in general, just that it looks good to me, screw the rest of ya :P

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:56 pm

houston4044 wrote:I'm sure lots of metal/rock fans will know of them; and I'd go as far as to say some non-metal fans will know of say CC or Napalm Death out of novelty/controversial knowledge. The important part of how that translates to sales I don't know, but I don't think it signals a weak line up necessarily, although I concede out of that list of bands there are repeats (though apart from Sepultura none are that recent).

What??! You mean Sabaton, Belphegor, Xerath, Metaprism, Reign of Fury, Oaf, I am I, Pritchard and Dainton, Batallion, and Orange Goblin haven't played that recently? And that's only a quick glance at bands going back to 2012, the amount of repeats from years when I first went (2010) is stupid.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:09 pm

Skippy wrote:
houston4044 wrote:I'm sure lots of metal/rock fans will know of them; and I'd go as far as to say some non-metal fans will know of say CC or Napalm Death out of novelty/controversial knowledge. The important part of how that translates to sales I don't know, but I don't think it signals a weak line up necessarily, although I concede out of that list of bands there are repeats (though apart from Sepultura none are that recent).

What??! You mean Sabaton, Belphegor, Xerath, Metaprism, Reign of Fury, Oaf, I am I, Pritchard and Dainton, Batallion, and Orange Goblin haven't played that recently? And that's only a quick glance at bands going back to 2012, the amount of repeats from years when I first went (2010) is stupid.

I meant from this list of bands

houston4044 wrote:
Napalm Death
Enslaved
Death
Sepultura
Cannibal Corpse
Within Temptation

The ones I was arguing about probably having the biggest name recognition for casual or non-metal fans