What's wrong with Bloodstock

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Tet
Denim Demon

Re: What's wrong with Bloodstock

Postby Tet » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:09 am

CharlesDexterWard wrote:Any of Judas Priest, Scorpions or Twisted Sister would be excellent.

Scorpions will never happen. Priest are a slim outside chance. I'm mildly optimistic about Twisted Sister for next year (you'd have thought Bloodstock would have managed to beat the optimism out of me by now, but no, for some reason it's still there). Twisted Sister are the best headliner that Bloodstock have ever had. Although they're a repeat, it's their final tour before they call it a day, so I don't see a problem there at all.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

reverend bizarre
Warrior of Metal

Postby reverend bizarre » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:47 am

Tet wrote:
CharlesDexterWard wrote:Any of Judas Priest, Scorpions or Twisted Sister would be excellent.

Scorpions will never happen. Priest are a slim outside chance. I'm mildly optimistic about Twisted Sister for next year (you'd have thought Bloodstock would have managed to beat the optimism out of me by now, but no, for some reason it's still there). Twisted Sister are the best headliner that Bloodstock have ever had. Although they're a repeat, it's their final tour before they call it a day, so I don't see a problem there at all.

I agree with most of this post........ :)
Official Member Of "The Parish Of Doom"

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:34 pm

Yeah, Scorps are a pipedream - they turned down headlining the second stage at Download because they felt they should have been headlining the main stage.

Priest are an oddity. Probably a slim chance, but a better one than Scorps definitely.

Tbh, I think we're more likely to get someone like Thunder if we're talking 'classic' acts.

JB65
Consort of the Beast

Postby JB65 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:01 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:Yeah, Scorps are a pipedream - they turned down headlining the second stage at Download because they felt they should have been headlining the main stage.

Priest are an oddity. Probably a slim chance, but a better one than Scorps definitely.

Tbh, I think we're more likely to get someone like Thunder if we're talking 'classic' acts.

Thunder are boring as hell these days, I used to like them but they are just like a glorified pub band. I wouln't write the Scorps off, they rarely set foot on these shores but a head line set on the Sunday night may tempt them then . Scorps would at least get me interested in a day ticket if nothing else as long as they were a tad more interesting than when they last played Wacken. Priest would be the most logical.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:07 pm

Judas Priest, Manowar and Helloween and Doro would all be worthy additions next year.

But I am not realistically expecting any of them.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:15 pm

Why are Scorps unlikely? They are playing that rock festival in Maidstone in a couple of weeks, so they aren't exactly averse to coming over here for a smaller festival, although I guess they aren't really metal enough for some people.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:22 pm

I can't see how the Scorpions are a pipedream*. They are afterall playing a shitty festival in Kent this year. :lol:

*Unless there is a problem with organisers/promotors/record labels they we mortals aren't aware of.

Skippy beat me too it.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:28 pm

Skippy wrote:Why are Scorps unlikely? They are playing that rock festival in Maidstone in a couple of weeks, so they aren't exactly averse to coming over here for a smaller festival, although I guess they aren't really metal enough for some people.

Money. Their demands are simply not viable in the UK. If Ramblin' Man actually goes ahead (and I have my doubts) then it's going to make a huge loss. They're not going to come close to the number of ticket sales they need to cover their costs for the bands they've booked.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:30 pm

I reckon it'll still go ahead - HV still went ahead with 10k less people than they needed as they had the financial backing to pay the band fees and not relying on ticket sales to get the cash in, which I presume they have again as its the same organisers.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:14 pm

As much as i'd like to see Twisted Sister play a near full set at BOA over a 40-50 minute slot at Download, I can't see them doing it; especially as to what would probably be their final UK show. I just hope I can attend whatever they do have planned UK wise.

Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bearstock » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:56 pm

First of all, props to Tet for a clear and concise explanation of his frustrations and reasoning as to why it is frustrating for him.

It's a really interesting situation on the whole.

Firstly I can understand why it would be frustrating to see a shift in the styles of bands over the years, particularly if it leans away from your own personal preference.

It's worth noting though that bands like Stratovarius and Edguy just aren't all that likely to shift huge 10k plus tickets over here I wouldn't have thought.

Should they therefore not be booked at all? Well no as if it truly is "all one genre" in the eyes of those who decide then they're just as much metal bands as Slayer and Emperor are.

Fully agreed btw it'd be ridiculous to recommend a stereotypical Slayer fan to check out Edguy and expect him to love it.

From my own personal perspective, being 18 when the festival first went outdoor in 2005 and obviously younger for the indoors, Bloodstock was a festival that I'd notice but couldn't justifiably attend at the time.

I looked at it in 2005 and couldn't afford it in 2006 whilst not minding because I didn't like that much of the line up.

Not being local (2-3 hours by car) and at the time on public transport more often than not the costs/time off work etc were a lot more justifiable for a Download in 2006 for example with the headliner appeal (Metallica, Guns n Roses, Tool) supplemented with some appealing acts on the undercard (Satyricon, Arch Enemy, Strapping Young Lad etc)

Obviously I'm not insinuating Bloodstock should try bring in bigger bands that would be above the probable price limit.

More so that by the time I finally got to Bloodstock it was 2013 and it's become my preferred UK festival destination.

Although I went to Download in 2012 and 2013. 2008 and 2011 really didn't appeal, Sonisphere won me over in 2009 and 2010 and despite enjoying it overall I'd come back from Download two years running with a series of irritations.

From the terrible layout, hit and miss (to be kind) organisation and ever increasing shift away from metal at least seemingly and that in turn bringing a different clientele.

This isn't a Downlaod gripes thread obviously, more making a point that whilst Download seem keen to pull away from metal and focus on what's "in" currently and Sonisphere are seemingly un trustworthy it's brought a LOT more eyes to Bloodstock.

It's all metal and heavy end of the rock spectrum but Ive got a pretty broad taste of bands within that range, however I can't stand whiney vocalled rock with tinges of new style heavy metal now and then that gets lapped up currently.

Bloodstock has started booking bands that whilst dividing overall opinion amongst fans/punters do what they do well live and have done for a number of years over here.

The likes of Machine Head, Lamb Of God, Slayer etc are never going to headline the main stage at Donnington but they've had the opportunity to do that here at Bloodstock.

The fact 2013 had King Diamond and last year had Emperor and Megadeth as well was a similar case but also appealed to older fans.

Down was an interesting choice to headline but I think they did well.

The key point to all this being that whilst years ago I'd be looking at gigs and festivals but not being able to justify it due to cost etc, the past few years there's now a whole group of us who look at Bloodstock now as our first choice.

It's given a platform for established acts to step up to headliner level and the layout is much more convenient (partly due to size) but the organisation seems impressive also.

It comes down to one of Tets main points in the original post,regarding a lack of melodic bands on the day Within Temptation are playing.

When the headliners are Down, Emperor and Megadeth it makes sense to book bands of a similar ilk rather than more melodic acts.

Bit of a catch 22.

Whilst I do agree Trivium and Within Temptation are certainly underwhelming options as headliners, Bloodstock are continuing the more recent trend of giving bands a chance at headlining and overall they've booked an impressive main stage line up with a few stand outs on the SL stage as well.

Regarding the forums, I agree that it's bad form to simply ignore the frustration of regular customers, the numbers on here are a very small percentage and there's a fair few on here whom are overly critical and don't go to the festival anyway.

A few tweaks here and there certainly but on the whole, from a more recent attendee the festival seems to be in a pretty healthy position.
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:55 pm

Bearstock wrote:Fully agreed btw it'd be ridiculous to recommend a stereotypical Slayer fan to check out Edguy and expect him to love it.

I reckon I'm a stereotypical Slayer fan and love Edguy! :D
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:22 am

I'm in two minds about this post. On one hand at first glance especially with the chart thing it just looks like Tet's saying that because he doesn't like as many band's and the change or direction then BOA has become a worse festival. Now I probably prefer way more bands now than the early days, so I could claim that the festival has improved. However both these are personal opinions and don't make either necessarily true.
On the other hand Tet has made some very good points, and I understand and agree with him with the lack of balance to the line up and even spread of genre's. I feel sorry that his type of music is lacking especially since he's been supporting the festival for so long, but then again he seems too be very fussy and particular about only melodic metal bands, especially as that's quite a small niche, especially in the current climate to make the festival viable buisness.
One reason I can think of that the organisers ignore the forum is alot of people on here a very closed minded and negative about certain genres, like saying Pro Pain don't deserve to be on the line up, or the disrespect to Groove Metal, and bands like Down and Lamb of God. Also people saying bands like Biohazard and Hatebreed are too mainstream or are for younger fans, which is wrong, both bands are pretty old now so not really young fans bands. There is alot of negativity and that is probably one of the reasons they don't bother with here anymore.
Alot of people are saying there is too much Thrash this yr, and while that maybe true, there was hardly any thrash last yr, the line ups seem to fluctuate with being heavier on certain genres on different years. I think you can still remain positive for future years, I don't they'll want to grow much further and they may revisit some of the older style bands and headliners. The lack of 'classics' this year makes me think they will have more next year. I wouldn't give up yet :yes:

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:02 am

Noodle wrote:tl;dr

Lack of communication with and perceived respect for those making the effort to connect and give feedback via the dedicated website, at least beyond the few days following the festival.

Agreed.

Minor backpedal time. I made this post on a few hours of sleep and brain was a box full of neutrals. I'd forgotten about certainly one member of the team, although he's been fairly quiet of late. Perhaps he'll be more visually active in the couple of weeks before the festival as usual.

It seems I've also misrepresented Tet's observations.

This is going well...
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:59 am

Whilst I admire the time and care that obviously went in to the original post, unfortunately, the OPs sentiments (however well expressed they may be) can be summed up with the same points that so many others that have expressed dissatisfaction with the direction Bloodstock is headed:

- The festival is selling more tickets now than it used to, therefore from a business stand-point (and although people often seem to forget this, this is a business) it makes sense to keep going in this direction

- European power metal bands simply don't draw the required numbers in the UK for Bloodstock to book them based on the amount of money they charge and the high-up slot on the bill they would expect. It's a shame, but the harsh truth is the music you like just isn't popular enough to populate a line-up which needs to shift 10,000 tickets.

- The forums only account for a small percentage of people who actually go to Bloodstock, therefore when people on here wonder why their tastes are not being catered for, it's because they're a minority. Which goes back to the point about this being a business which has to make money to survive. That's not going to happen if you cater to what the minority want.

- As for the point about the organisers not paying attention to the forums any more, you could argue that's bad-form from a customer-service point of view but one the other hand, you can hardly blame them with some of the nonsense that gets perpetuated on here. For every well-constructed post like Tet's, there is a dozen-more which simply amount to "wah, wah, wah, I don't like those bands therefore this festival sucks" and "OMG! Those bands played Download therefore they cannot play Bloodstock / Bloodstock is turning into a mini-Download! This is a travesty!" and "The festival's been going 10 years but how dare you book a repeat band who have played before - this festival is ruined!" Basically, posts like those ruin it for the people who actually have something constructive to offer as the organisers are only human - I'd be sick of trying to please people on here too if that's what I kept reading all the time.