Difference between campsites?

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
asmodaii
Definitely Not Nu

Difference between campsites?

Postby asmodaii » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:43 pm

This is gonna be my first Bloodstock and I was wondering, what's the difference between ASGARD, HEL, MIDGARD, VALHALLA and IRONWOOD?

I gather from the event info page that HEL is the quiet campsite, but is there anything special about the other 4? Any tips on where's best to camp?
Drummer of Sellsword, Seriously Unserious Power/Heavy Metal from York!

Smerphy
Leather Rebel

Re: Difference between campsites?

Postby Smerphy » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:00 pm

Midgard is loud as fuck what with all the bin jousting. Ironwood is quiet but last year the bin doors were really loud so camp away from them. Hel is the family camp, probably not much fun if you're not there with kids. Asgard and Valhalla are near the entrance, and thus fill up really quickly.
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.

That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

BLAKEYBLOKIZARD
Powermetal Child

Postby BLAKEYBLOKIZARD » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:20 pm

I've camped everywhere except Midgard. Last year we were in Ironwood and I thought it was excellent, loads of space and a really good atmosphere.

Midgard always looks like an absolute tip, especially the cross roads, but if you like partying all night and can't be bothered to walk for 2 minutes when you're ready for bed then I guess it's perfect.

Valhalla and the other one used to have a similar atmosphere. Lots of loud groups, but not much rowdy shit, like in midgard. However, they shrunk one of them to accommodate the vip area last year, it had about 20 tents in it, not much going on when I passed through.

It'll be my 5th bloodstock this year, and it's looking like I'll be staying in Ironwood again.
What's this? BlakeyBloke is evolving! BlakeyBloke evolved into BLAKEYBLOKIZARD!
Blakeyblokizard used SELF PROMOTION!
https://slothuk.bandcamp.com/releases
Sloth. [Doom metal]
It wasn't very effective...

asmodaii
Definitely Not Nu

Postby asmodaii » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:32 pm

Awesome, thanks for the info guys! Ironwood is looking like the best option for us I think, don't mind a bit of partying, but can do with a good night's sleep as well!

ocean_of_ypres
Warrior of Metal

Postby ocean_of_ypres » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:42 pm

I'd go ironwood if were you. Good plan. I went in Valhalla in 2012, and I was kept awake on the Friday by some guy screaming down the phone because his mate had sold all the weed for cheaper than what they agreed, and again on the Sunday by the same guy just being a dick. The security did nothing on either occasion. Might be being old, but I like a good nights sleep. If you know people camping in midgard, you can just hang with them and then go sleep in the quiet camp. Don't think I'll be doing so this year though; the state of the place isn't disabled patron friendly at all
I went a way for some time, but I guess I should come back and annoy people due to attending this year

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:04 pm

Will be Ironwood or Hel for me!
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

asmodaii
Definitely Not Nu

Postby asmodaii » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:51 pm

Sounds like we're all just old farts wanting to get a good night's sleep, leave the partying to the young 'uns, hahaha!

I think I might know some people in Midgard, so I'll just go join them for party times, good idea!

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:07 pm

I've never found Midgard to be that rowdy. I quite like it for the atmosphere myself, have always camped there and the other sites seem quite dead in comparison. Bin jousting usually gets shut down fairly quickly by security these days, and when I do turn in I just put in some ear plugs and there you go. But if you do like your sleep, Valhalla/Asgard probably a safer bet.

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:20 pm

Cant speak for the others but I always camp in Midgard and having also visited the others its definitely the most rowdy with the most late night partying but I think it gets a worse rep that it deserves.

Iv rarely had a problem with anyone there and people are usually up for a laugh even when its just a few of us awake at 5am :)

However if you do end up there dont camp next to the path. Iv rarely seen anyone intentionally trash stuff but iv seen a fair few accidents involving tents on the side of the path

florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Postby florencethemachine » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:49 pm

I camp VIP so I couldn't tell you what mindless shenanigans the commonalty partake in. Probably running amok wearing union jack flags for clothes and K cider tins for shoes.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:01 pm

florencethemachine wrote:I camp VIP so I couldn't tell you what mindless shenanigans the commonalty partake in. Probably running amok wearing union jack flags for clothes and K cider tins for shoes.

100% accurate. Just add in the odd Pikachu onesie and guy in a dress and that's correct.

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:08 am

Valhalla was fine last year!

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:31 pm

I will be in Ironwood enjoying the quiet from my folding chair with a Jack Daniels or three.

Happy to be an old fart! :lighter:
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Korthkor
Warrior of Metal
Location: Ghaarenkor (town), Uttorutrothokor (region), Karthon (nation), Ulaan (planet), Mulahai (star system)

Postby Korthkor » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:32 pm

Doesn't the entrance to Ironwood take you through Midgard anyway? I don't remember as I haven't camped on that side of Midgard since 2011.

I've been doing Midgard for five years now, it certainly gets a worse reputation than it deserves but it's probably not the best place to be if you're looking at getting an early night. Ofcourse, you can counter any amount of noise with a good set of earplugs, or you could plagiarize my own method of getting some rest amongst the noise by getting so utterly hammered that no power on earth could ever hope to wake you.
I looked into the eye of the fish.

BOA 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Hammerfest 12, 13, 14, 15
BEER, BEER, BEERMAGEDDON! 14'

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:57 am

Smerphy wrote: Hel is the family camp, probably not much fun if you're not there with kids. .

I completely disagree - I've camped in Hel 4 times, and it's by far the best of the main campsites. There's actually room to spread out and have a nice spacious camp with you friends, rather than being packed in like sardines, and because it's the quiet camp, you actually get to have a good night's sleep.
And it's not the family camp, it's the quiet camp, it's loads of fun - mainly all metallers with the odd family in there. Just because it's not full of dickheads bashing bins into each other and keep your awake all night with their noise doesn't mean it's not fun.

VIP is the best choice for camping, but Hel is the best of the non-VIP camp sites.