Coach, bags and alcohol

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
rainnheart
Lowly Peon

Coach, bags and alcohol

Postby rainnheart » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:36 pm

Im a new-ish user (been registered for a while but never really needed to post anyting) was looking to start a topic regarding buses as this is my first time bussing it to bloodstock (R.I.P Car) and I'm looking for some advice inregards to taking alcohol as was planning to take a huge bag full then I noticed there are restrictions on how many bags you can take. (if theres a thread on this already please link me as so far not found one).

Noodle
I am the Law!

Re: Coach, bags and alcohol

Postby Noodle » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:34 am

Sorry for the unimaginative title; feel free to edit according to your tastes.
I'm probably repeating what you've already seen on Big Green Coach website's FAQ, but it seems you're correct: http://www.biggreencoach.co.uk/faqs
Q: What is the policy regarding luggage on Big Green Coach?
A: Our official luggage allowance is 1 x rucksack (or equivolent), 1 x tent and 1 x piece of hand luggage. For safety reasons there are restrictions on the weight limit and amount of items a passenger can bring on our services. Items over 20kg will not be accepted on Big Green Coach along with prohibited items such as weapons, drugs, live or dead animals, prams, surfboards, wheelie bins and wheelbarrows etc. BGC reserve the right to refuse you travel and/or remove the items from the coach immediately.

Trolleys full of crates of beer shrink wrapped together do sometimes cause us issues - however we may transport them if there is space AND you may be required to break down the trolley to fit it in to the luggage lockers.

As long as everyone considers the fact that the luggage lockers are only so big and need to be used for all customers camping gear we should be fine.

If you're worried you'll be taking too much and won't be able to fit in your beer, and hadn't already noticed, there is another option: http://www.bloodstock.uk.com/pages/even ... content_34

For those of you camping who can't stand the taste of warm beer that you had to bring all the way from home you can purchase a case of quality chilled beers from the campsite cheaper than purchasing from the arena.

I can't vouch for the price or selection, but it's there.

You may also want to consider a taxi (perhaps share one. I understand there are plenty of folk who go) to Lichfield to buy stuff from the supermarket.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

ocean_of_ypres
Warrior of Metal

Postby ocean_of_ypres » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:00 am

Getting booze on the way down is probably the better idea. I was bringing some rum that I had infused with ginger and lemon with me. I was using national express and the shuttle link. Damn bottle broke when I put my bag down and my day rucksac got drenched in the stuff.

Play it safe; get a group together and split taxi fare. You'll probably get more that way, and cheaper than the festival prices. Hell, there might even be crate deals on at the supermarket
I went a way for some time, but I guess I should come back and annoy people due to attending this year

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:34 pm

Does anyone know if that policy applies to their shuttle service? Or is it just the actual coach pick up.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:38 pm

With the shuttle bus it's just lash it into the bottom bit and get on. After all nearly everyone has travelled by train to get there in the first place so they aren't all carrying tons of stuff.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:43 pm

Okay thanks, sounds like I'll be fine. I won't have a huge amount, but it will be wheeled suitcase, plus tent/sleeping bag and camping chair.

ocean_of_ypres
Warrior of Metal

Postby ocean_of_ypres » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:31 pm

Just so people know, there's a twenty four hour tesco superstore at burton upon trent, which might be the closest place for people to get to. There's a tesco extra in Lichfield. I honestly don't know which would he bigger
I went a way for some time, but I guess I should come back and annoy people due to attending this year

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:09 pm

Does anyone have a rough idea of the going rate for a slab of beers from the Slab Bar?

I am limited in what I can bring down in the bus from Jolly Jockland and was looking to get a feel for my budget?
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Dobbydob
Consort of the Beast

Postby Dobbydob » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:38 pm

if memory serves, its was about £30 for 24 cans, but i never bought from there, so maybe someone else will have a better recollection.
http://www.adam-robson.com
Long Live Strongbow Man

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:50 pm

cheers - that was roughly what I was expecting to pay
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Korthkor
Warrior of Metal
Location: Ghaarenkor (town), Uttorutrothokor (region), Karthon (nation), Ulaan (planet), Mulahai (star system)

Postby Korthkor » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:13 pm

Dobbydob wrote:if memory serves, its was about £30 for 24 cans, but i never bought from there, so maybe someone else will have a better recollection.

It's gone up considerably in recent years, last time I checked it was £35 a slab.
I looked into the eye of the fish.

BOA 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Hammerfest 12, 13, 14, 15
BEER, BEER, BEERMAGEDDON! 14'

ocean_of_ypres
Warrior of Metal

Postby ocean_of_ypres » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:29 pm

Probably would be worth checking who else you know wants beer and sourcing it from elsewhere, to be honest. Unless you can't wait, which I don't blame you for