Anyone bought a flag pole from boa stall before?

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Dobbydob
Consort of the Beast

Anyone bought a flag pole from boa stall before?

Postby Dobbydob » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:13 pm

Thinking of getting a flag for the campsite to mark location for our group. Anyone know what price the stalls at boa charge for a telescopic flag pole?
http://www.adam-robson.com
Long Live Strongbow Man

zombieman
Consort of the Beast

Re: Anyone bought a flag pole from boa stall before?

Postby zombieman » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:24 pm

Think they are banned from inside the festival as people don't want their view blocked by some idiot waving a flag around. I appreciate you said you want yours for the canpsite but I think they banned them from being sold as they don't know where people will use them.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:31 pm

Haven't seen them sold anywhere in the arena since they were banned.d
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Cerpin_Taxt
Definitely Not Nu

Postby Cerpin_Taxt » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:48 pm

They're banned from the arena, and all the market stalls are in the arena. Therefore you can't get flagpoles at bloodstock.

You can however use things like a fishing rod or a ton of bamboo poles or something as a flagpole (although it won't be as high). I wouldn't worry though - the bloodstock campsite is tiny so you don't really need it.

ocean_of_ypres
Warrior of Metal

Postby ocean_of_ypres » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:18 pm

If, in the very short space of time that there is, you can get hold of an excessively cheap fishing pole, that would be your best bet. You'll want something about ten metres. Unfortunately, the best prices on ebay are in China
I went a way for some time, but I guess I should come back and annoy people due to attending this year

Dobbydob
Consort of the Beast

Postby Dobbydob » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:49 pm

I'm almost certain there was a stall selling flags and flag poles last year! :?
Yeah, as stated, for the campsite, I absolutely will not be one of the flag wavers in the arena!
I should have been on this sooner, but forgot I even had a flag I could potentially use. LOL, yeah China based poles probably won't make it over here in time now. Seen a few UK sellers doing 3m poles. I might be taking Gazebo again this year, so would probably strap it to the side of that.
Midgard isn't really that small, having a flag would make it easier for the people I know coming into the festival site each day from hotels to find us. Its not a huge deal, never used one before, but then never had a flag to use before. :yes:
Long Live Strongbow Man

Cerpin_Taxt
Definitely Not Nu

Postby Cerpin_Taxt » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:53 pm

i0th wrote:Flagpoles aren't banned from Bloodstock just the arena so you can still take them, don't need bamboo or whatever.

Of course, my point was that he wouldn't be able to buy one at the festival, and judging by the original post it sounds like he can't buy a telescopic flag pole before the festival (otherwise he wouldn't be asking).

My other suggestions were alternatives in case he can't get a flag pole in time.

You can buy them online for quite cheap. You might not be able to get it delivered on time though.

Dobbydob wrote:I'm almost certain there was a stall selling flags and flag poles last year! :?

Nope. They can't sell them as the only market stalls are in the arena, where flagpoles are banned.

Dobbydob
Consort of the Beast

Postby Dobbydob » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:59 pm

Cerpin_Taxt wrote:ton of bamboo poles or something as a flagpole

This may be my fall back option. Strap it to Gazebo leg and hope its high enough to be worth the effort :lol:
Long Live Strongbow Man

Cerpin_Taxt
Definitely Not Nu

Postby Cerpin_Taxt » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:02 pm

Dobbydob wrote:
Cerpin_Taxt wrote:ton of bamboo poles or something as a flagpole

This may be my fall back option. Strap it to Gazebo leg and hope its high enough to be worth the effort :lol:

At download this year some guys camped next to us made a flagpole out of duct tape and bamboo poles. To my absolute amazement it worked... it really worked. Like, the flag stayed up for the whole festival and it was actually quite high.

Alternative Clothing
Lowly Peon

Postby Alternative Clothing » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:20 pm

Yes us trade stalls are banned from selling flag poles even if you were to promise to take it back to the campsite with you! I have a spare bamboo pole you can have it's about 6ft tall, just come and collect it from my stall in the arena on Thurs or Fri and take it straight back to the campsite - I'm usually on the right side as you walk from Sophie's tent towards the main stage.
Having had my view totally ruined by a huge Motorhead flag when I had a brilliant viewing spot for Rammstein at Sonisphere I'm inclined to agree with the ban!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:58 pm

When the ban came in it was totally justified. People were just buying any flag with pretty colours for the sake of having a flag. Then standing at the front of the arena. I didn't see many Sri Lankans at the festival, but quite a few flags. I suppose lions are deemed to be cool. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Dobbydob
Consort of the Beast

Postby Dobbydob » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:14 pm

Alternative Clothing wrote:Yes us trade stalls are banned from selling flag poles even if you were to promise to take it back to the campsite with you! I have a spare bamboo pole you can have it's about 6ft tall, just come and collect it from my stall in the arena on Thurs or Fri and take it straight back to the campsite - I'm usually on the right side as you walk from Sophie's tent towards the main stage.
Having had my view totally ruined by a huge Motorhead flag when I had a brilliant viewing spot for Rammstein at Sonisphere I'm inclined to agree with the ban!

Cheers, i shall keep that in mind should i fail to aquire a pole, much apreciated.
Long Live Strongbow Man

Dobbydob
Consort of the Beast

Postby Dobbydob » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:17 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:When the ban came in it was totally justified.

Agreed, they were a constant pain in the arse.

I didn't see many Sri Lankans at the festival, but quite a few flags. I suppose lions are deemed to be cool. :lol:

:lol:
Long Live Strongbow Man

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:22 am

Yeah, I was pretty happy when the flags were banned. Had some cunt at the front for Gojira blocking half the view with his sodding Sweden flag.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:07 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:When the ban came in it was totally justified.

Indeed. It still is. My view of Priest on Saturday was ruined by some fool waving a flag about. To add insult to injury, it wasn't even a country flag or a band flag. No, it was an advertising flag for bottled water.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...