So Venom.....

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
houston4044
Denim Demon

Re: So Venom.....

Postby houston4044 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:16 pm

fluffkitten wrote:Priest would be utterly wonderful but have they dropped their asking price enough?

With WT and Rob Zombie this year I can't see JP being too far out of BOA's league (although might be pushing it a tad)

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:10 pm

I dont think JP would cost too much more than a Slayer, Megadeth, or anyone else they've booked recently, but that's just a guess. If it's Slayer again I would be so disappointed. Even with the fact I dont really like them, they were very poor last time and shouldn't come back again so soon.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Virtue
Lowly Peon

Postby Virtue » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:09 am

Hi, long time metalhead, first time poster here, Just want to say I'm totally stoked for Venom! They NEVER play the UK! Last time they where in Manchester was 2005 and I missed them :( so its a very rare opportunity to see them as I'm not sure when they will next play. They are one of my all time fave bands and pretty much secured me a ticket for them alone, all the other bands are a bonus to me :)

beenabadbunny
Definitely Not Nu

Postby beenabadbunny » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:00 pm

Skippy wrote:I dont think JP would cost too much more than a Slayer, Megadeth, or anyone else they've booked recently, but that's just a guess. If it's Slayer again I would be so disappointed. Even with the fact I dont really like them, they were very poor last time and shouldn't come back again so soon.

For me the biggest problem with Slayer was that as far as they were concerned it was very clearly just another night on a long tour.

Even Rob Zombie suffered from the same thing a little bit this year, I thought. I thought it was a great show but he let slip that he didn't actually know he was the closing headliner for the whole festival.

Not sure what you can really do about that - logistically of course you can't expect every top-line band to come to the UK for Bloodstock alone, so there'll always be some bands for whom it really is just another night of the tour. They don't always have to make it so obvious though.

And it's possible to go too far the other way too - I don't really take it too seriously when bands say stuff like "Bloodstock, you're the best audience we've ever had because this is the best metal festival there is!" as it can sound a bit contrived.

But I think there's a happy medium and a lot of the best headliners do manage to find it. Even if this isn't a particularly special show for them, they can still recognise that it's an 'event' for the audience.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:30 pm

beenabadbunny wrote:
For me the biggest problem with Slayer was that as far as they were concerned it was very clearly just another night on a long tour.

Even Rob Zombie suffered from the same thing a little bit this year, I thought. I thought it was a great show but he let slip that he didn't actually know he was the closing headliner for the whole festival.

Not sure what you can really do about that - logistically of course you can't expect every top-line band to come to the UK for Bloodstock alone, so there'll always be some bands for whom it really is just another night of the tour. They don't always have to make it so obvious though.

And it's possible to go too far the other way too - I don't really take it too seriously when bands say stuff like "Bloodstock, you're the best audience we've ever had because this is the best metal festival there is!" as it can sound a bit contrived.

But I think there's a happy medium and a lot of the best headliners do manage to find it. Even if this isn't a particularly special show for them, they can still recognise that it's an 'event' for the audience.

Think that comes from the mentality of the band though, bands like WT, Sabaton or Evil Scarecrow got their breaks from BOA (and have a history with the festival) so will probably see it as more than "just another gig". Bands like Slayer or Zombie have no history with BOA and have gotten to where they are without BOA so it's nothing special to them beyond another festival headline gig.

Keep in mind some bands (like Zombie) just came off a European festival tour, I'm not surprised he didn't know he was closing the fest as it's a bit much to expect he know beyond the fact he's headlining anything else about the fest. Just be glad he
A) actually named the fest right
B) was at least honest
C) Didn't do a Motley Crue and run on stage (this was at Monsters of Rock at Donington) and shout "hello London!" :lol:

beenabadbunny
Definitely Not Nu

Postby beenabadbunny » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:04 am

Yeah, all good points.

I did enjoy the singer from Dark Angel repeatedly insisting that we were in Birmingham ;)

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:20 am

I wouldn't be surprised if we're getting some sort of mainstream act on the Fri (Mastodon?), Nightwish on Saturday and a 'classic' band on the Sunday? (Priest would be my preference, but there's still some variety out there).

With a headline trio that melodic, that may go some way to explain why the two subs so far are relatively heavier ones.

Random question, are Watain too big to headline second? Could easily see them playing opposite Nightwish if so.

ocean_of_ypres
Warrior of Metal

Postby ocean_of_ypres » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:44 pm

That wouldn't be too bad, in my opinion. If there were a melodic headline, watain in main support would balance it out, so the more extreme fans get a good sizeable band on the main stage, and then maybe something more to their tastes after on the SL stage
I went a way for some time, but I guess I should come back and annoy people due to attending this year

Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bearstock » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:43 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if we're getting some sort of mainstream act on the Fri (Mastodon?), Nightwish on Saturday and a 'classic' band on the Sunday? (Priest would be my preference, but there's still some variety out there).

With a headline trio that melodic, that may go some way to explain why the two subs so far are relatively heavier ones.

Random question, are Watain too big to headline second? Could easily see them playing opposite Nightwish if so.

I'd like a Friday of Watain -Behemoth - Venom personally :yes:
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby cthulhu » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:21 am

Bearstock wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if we're getting some sort of mainstream act on the Fri (Mastodon?), Nightwish on Saturday and a 'classic' band on the Sunday? (Priest would be my preference, but there's still some variety out there).

I'd like a Friday of Watain -Behemoth - Venom personally :yes:

I'd like that too.

And to answer Haladamir's question I'd say there's no chance of Watain anywhere lower than the top 4 slots of mainstage. As for headlining the whole festival, unless they radically address their headliner policy to give an extreme band a shot despite being a smaller draw (which i'd like but can't see them doing) or unless they get Cradle of Filth to come back somehow it'll not be an extreme metal headliner anytime soon.

I'm basing that off of how successful Behemoth are right now and the fact they're still special guests but i'd love for Bloodstock to prove me wrong.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Dobbydob
Consort of the Beast

Postby Dobbydob » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:47 am

Never really followed Venom, but a popular choice no doubt. Behemoth are another band I don't really listen to outside of live performances, but I really enjoyed them at BOA last time, so could be good again. But as been mentioned by others, bit of an underwhelming announcement.
Slayer would be an awful headliner if they were anything close to last time. They looked utterly utterly bored to be there, and I know the circumstances where far from ideal, but they were worse than Rob Zombie.
Bodom could be good, they played a decent amount of old stuff last time they played and there have been seeds of recovery in the last album to promote some optimism that they might be getting back to their roots.
Priest would be amazing and a huge deal for BOA. I'd argue they'd be the biggest headliner they'll have ever had.
http://www.adam-robson.com
Long Live Strongbow Man

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:47 pm

I think Venom are, bit like the Metal Ramones or Misfits, a T shirt band who's logo is more well known than their music, but being announced a year before there's enough time for people to become 'lifelong fans'.

As for Priest - I doubt they'd be the biggest, not bigger than Alice Cooper or Slayer. As a festival headliner, the attendance of High Voltage was significantly smaller than BOA when they topped the bill, but they could be expensive, as unlike a lot of potential healdiners, they are still big in America and the Euro fest trail has to compete with US arena tours and package bills which may be more lucrative.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:32 pm

Always thought of Motorhead as the fashionable t-shirt logo of choice, for fashionable t-shirt people.

Also, why is everyone one so convinced that Priest will be playing- everyone was saying it was happening last year and then... Look what we got!

I'm sure if we wait long enough, they will play one year, as their just too perfect for it. But there is no suggestion that it will be this year, is there?
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:41 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:
Also, why is everyone one so convinced that Priest will be playing- everyone was saying it was happening last year and then... Look what we got!

I'm sure if we wait long enough, they will play one year, as their just too perfect for it. But there is no suggestion that it will be this year, is there?

I'm gonna call it now, Steel Panther to headline Sunday. Priest are in a perfect position to headline, but that doesn't mean BOA will book them.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:02 pm

I've got a feeling its going to be Steel Panther aswell - I'm sure there was a 'look who we're seeing' post from BOA on FB earlier in the year, and this type of post has been an indicator in the past IIRC.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11