So Venom.....

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Tet
Denim Demon

Re: So Venom.....

Postby Tet » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:55 pm

Andy. wrote:What a lot conveniently forget about Steel Panther is the undeniable fact they they are superb musicians and if you were to strip away all the parody/comedy elements, you would be left with a magnificent Hard Rock/Metal band.

I've watched them since the Metal Skool days, but I've long lamented their dilemma. They've got where they are because of the gimmicks. But the gimmicks are getting in the way, and I'd prefer far less crowd interaction and to see them just get on and play more songs. They are, as you say, outstanding musicians. But as soon as they drop the gimmicks, they'll sink without a trace.

Would they work at Bloodstock? I don't see why not.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:28 pm

Perhaps they would, but not as bloody headliners.

Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bearstock » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:19 pm

Tet wrote: But the gimmicks are getting in the way, and I'd prefer far less crowd interaction and to see them just get on and play more songs. They are, as you say, outstanding musicians. But as soon as they drop the gimmicks, they'll sink without a trace.

I saw them at Download the other year and thought they were "shit" when compared to the hype their live shows seem to get.

When they actually played it was fine and would have been enjoyable but there was just LOADS of rambling and much of it was to each other rather than involving the audience all that much.

Amusingly Tenacious D were on straight after them and showed exactly how to get the combination of mucking about and actually playing correct.

Would definitely prefer Tenacious D of the two but but wouldn't actually like to see either of them on the Bloodstock bill.
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:35 pm

Sadly, Tenacious D are both not a good fit for the festival and also a bit too big (I would think). I would love to see them though.

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:13 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if we're getting some sort of mainstream act on the Fri (Mastodon?), Nightwish on Saturday and a 'classic' band on the Sunday? (Priest would be my preference, but there's still some variety out there).

With a headline trio that melodic, that may go some way to explain why the two subs so far are relatively heavier ones.

Random question, are Watain too big to headline second? Could easily see them playing opposite Nightwish if so.

Mastodon, Behemoth, Venom
Nightwish, Watain
Judas Priest

Mastodon aren't entirely my sort of thing but I'd definitely watch them, and as for those others, it would be a perfect announcement for me! As people are talking about them, Steel Panther as special guest to priest would be ace too, I had never listened to them before Wacken 2014 and couldn't stop laughing, really entertaining.

I also just can't imagine Slayer not bringing it, they've been phenomenal all three times I've seen them and would be chuffed if they played - better than any nu-metal/core bollocks! Were they really that bad?

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:06 pm

Are Watain still sub-size? Haven't heard much of merit from them since they last played and the fest has supposedly "grown" since then. I could be wrong (probably am) :lol:

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:17 pm

Seem to recall Watain was supposed to have seriously blotted their copy book with both Bloodstock and all the local hotels, if so I doubt they'll be back any time soon.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:13 am

So Venom... are on Saturday.

Will that make them special guests after all?
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:40 am

Behemoth have a 75 min slot, according to the story in Metal Hammer - with Avantasia and Sabaton getting longer sets, I wonder if this will be a 'thing' now - a Special Special Guest?
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:00 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:So Venom... are on Saturday.

Will that make them special guests after all?

To be honest, I always assumed they would be special guests.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:31 pm

someone else wrote:Behemoth have a 75 min slot, according to the story in Metal Hammer - with Avantasia and Sabaton getting longer sets, I wonder if this will be a 'thing' now - a Special Special Guest?

I wouldn't mind one of the special guests getting a longer slot. If they book bands that could arguably headline like Sabaton and Behemoth I'd feel like I've gotten more value for my money. Though on the other hand Saturday's headliner has a 15 minute shorter set so I guess it evens out

Venom are on Sunday according to the line up page now, where did people hear that they were on Saturday?

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:42 pm

houston4044 wrote:
someone else wrote:Behemoth have a 75 min slot, according to the story in Metal Hammer - with Avantasia and Sabaton getting longer sets, I wonder if this will be a 'thing' now - a Special Special Guest?

I wouldn't mind one of the special guests getting a longer slot. If they book bands that could arguably headline like Sabaton and Behemoth I'd feel like I've gotten more value for my money. Though on the other hand Saturday's headliner has a 15 minute shorter set so I guess it evens out

Venom are on Sunday according to the line up page now, where did people hear that they were on Saturday?

I either misread it, or it was put on the wrong day at first.

Both equally likely posabilitys. :D
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:48 pm

From the same MH article, Behemoth are on the Friday and 'Venom will appear before the Poles on Friday night' so that's every night covered so far!
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:20 pm

someone else wrote:From the same MH article, Behemoth are on the Friday and 'Venom will appear before the Poles on Friday night' so that's every night covered so far!

Hopefully MH dropped a clunker and that means Vader are special guests one night :lol:

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:10 am

Anyone noticed the Behemoth description on the page mentions The Apostasy as most recent album? Is it that difficult to update, that was eight years ago!