So Venom.....

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
VimFuego666
Warrior of Metal

Re: So Venom.....

Postby VimFuego666 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:47 pm

I'm happy with Behemoth, very good announcement - they're obviously happy to move from former headliners to special guests;
They have tried to book (something to do with) Venom for a few years, both times the bands (Primevil and Mpire of Evil) cancelled without hardly anyone noticing. At least this time it's a band calling themselves Venom, but I doubt a Cronos fronted with 2 or 3 other new members could pull off a Black Metal era show and do it justice - if they're lower on the bill I might check them out depending if I like their new album which I haven't bothered with yet. But naysayers should not underestimate the influence of Venom's early period on so many bands especially pretty much every BM band ever! An original line-up Hell at Hammersmith '85 type show would be worthy of a headline slot. I live in hope.

some_thing_wild
Paster of Muppets

Postby some_thing_wild » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:56 pm

Was talking to someone I know on the friday that was working backstage about who I thought would headline next year. I said either Venom, Alice In Chains, Judas Priest, Mastadon, Korn or In Flames and he said he's heard from people more 'in the know' than him backstage mention 2 of those. Venom was right so one of the others may well be too

Either way they were fairly enjoyable at Hellfest, probably watch again. Plus I imagine theyre probably cheaper to get than other bands so they can afford 2 bigger headliners

bloodblind
Consort of the Beast

Postby bloodblind » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:04 pm

Great announcement.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:18 pm

If Venom arn't even special guests, I'm a bit surprised and slightly dissapointed. Doesn't change the fact that it's gonna get me on board again this year!

How much time does a band 3rd from top get nowerdays - I'm guessing 55mins?
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

RB2610
Denim Demon

Postby RB2610 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:18 pm

Just got an email newsletter from Metal Hammer saying that Behemoth are Friday Special Guest, so I guess that's their slot confirmed then.
Winner of "The who are you again? Award for people who seem to slip under the radar, despite posting regularly" 2009!!

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:41 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:If Venom arn't even special guests, I'm a bit surprised and slightly dissapointed. Doesn't change the fact that it's gonna get me on board again this year!

How much time does a band 3rd from top get nowerdays - I'm guessing 55mins?

3rd top gets the same as sub-headliner, 60 minutes.
There are exceptions - Sabaton got 75 minutes this year as a sub. That was an exception rather than the rule though.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:30 pm

BLAKEYBLOKIZARD wrote:considering since then they've released one of the most critically acclaimed metal albums ever made and have sky-rocketed in profile and popularity.

Oh please! You're getting a tad carried away here, The Satanist may have been well reviewed but it's not even close to being 'one of the most critically acclaimed metal albums ever made '!!!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:31 pm

some_thing_wild wrote:Was talking to someone I know on the friday that was working backstage about who I thought would headline next year. I said either Venom, Alice In Chains, Judas Priest, Mastadon, Korn or In Flames and he said he's heard from people more 'in the know' than him backstage mention 2 of those. Venom was right so one of the others may well be too

Either way they were fairly enjoyable at Hellfest, probably watch again. Plus I imagine theyre probably cheaper to get than other bands so they can afford 2 bigger headliners

Really? I was always under the impression Cronos asked for more than he's worth in terms of a draw, I could be wrong though.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:51 pm

There were some stories circulating about that when they got slung off the High Voltage bill - positioning on the bill was also mentioned
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:45 am

someone else wrote:There were some stories circulating about that when they got slung off the High Voltage bill - positioning on the bill was also mentioned

Ah, that's probably where I heard it then

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:24 am

Soze wrote:
Oh please! You're getting a tad carried away here, The Satanist may have been well reviewed but it's not even close to being 'one of the most critically acclaimed metal albums ever made '!!!

Well no, it's not one of the most critically acclaimed ever, but well received is something of an understatement, it got universal critical acclaim and massively increased their profile; every review I saw of it gave it full marks, the only negativity is from the odd fan on a forum like this.

Soze wrote:
Pffft. Behemoth probably wouldn't even exist if it weren't for Venom. One of the most influential bands in the history of underground metal. They wrote more great riffs on one side of a record than Behemoth have in their entire discography.

And Venom wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Motorhead, and Motorhead wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Chuck Berry....does that mean Behemoth owe a debt to Chuck Berry? You can go back for ever saying "X wouldn't be around if it wasn't for X", but that doesn't mean to like one you have to like the other. Behemoth are pulverising black/death metal, musically they're nothing like the sloppy pub rock n roll of Venom.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:29 am

Great announcement for me. :D

Venom have always been up there with my favourites and whilst Behemoth are merely OK, they are a good solid booking. To me it's a step in the right direction. Besides they'll both get a bigger crowd than Trivium did. :rofl:

Don't forget that one of the announcers said look out for the clue about next years headliners. Remember the trailer by the Arms with the big logo on it? :eyes:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:42 am

bloodfiend wrote:
Soze wrote:

Well no, it's not one of the most critically acclaimed ever, but well received is something of an understatement, it got universal critical acclaim and massively increased their profile; every review I saw of it gave it full marks, the only negativity is from the odd fan on a forum like this.

But who's a critic really? Just some bloke that writes gibberish for some crappy magazine or newspaper. Usually with a degree in Media Studies and knows a mate in the business. I bet the last One Direction album got full marks from most critics.

I've also seen journos write reviews of gigs from the bar when the band that he's reviewing were on stage and he's just there to get free booze. One reason why I don't read live reviews.

It's also the fact that a "flavour of the month" band like Behemoth have been at one point will get a good review from certain quarters because the reviewer wants to be seen as cool and up to date with what "the kids" want.

TLDR: Most reviews are worthless.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

pinhead0303
Consort of the Beast

Postby pinhead0303 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:58 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Don't forget that one of the announcers said look out for the clue about next years headliners. Remember the trailer by the Arms with the big logo on it? :eyes:

I took zero notice of this, anyone got a pic?

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:09 pm

It was the ad for Slayer's new album.