2015 - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
JPMC
Warrior of Metal

Re: 2015 - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Postby JPMC » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:55 am

NeglectedField wrote:- This is gonna sound horrible but festivals make me realise there's definitely a 'fat metaller' thing going on. I'm no Arnie (my own fault entirely) but I look at some people and think "what's your excuse?"

There is also a really big double standard. I was chatting with a girl at the Jeger bar about this very thing. She was on about how there was a lot of fat dudes who really shouldn't be bearing it all for Satan. And I couldn't agree more. I empathized and mentioned several women too wearing what can only be described as child's clothing with it all flabbing out. Oh my how her opinion changed immediately on this note. She even called me a misoginist and I have to admit I had to go away and google what it meant.

Suffice to say, I just walked off at that point. I think from her perspective, the excuse is it's OK unless you're a dude.

But really, I was a big old lad a few years ago. Well into that danger zone BMI. Now that I'm pretty damn far into that normal zone, there is no excuse in my experience. At all.

bloodblind
Consort of the Beast

Postby bloodblind » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:36 am

Why are people even talking about this on here. Who gives a fuck what people are wearing or not at a metal festival. Were all metalheads having a fuckin party with the people that we can really be ourselves around and jusr remember what the sophie stage is all about. Fair enough theres the odd brutal sighting but thats part of the fun and laugh at festivals. I'm always impressed with some of the crazy fancy dress characters too, clockwork orange crew, the return of the dead snow/outpost zombies were awesome. Anyway back to the point if you're that shallow it bothers you that much that fat people have to take their shirt off in the blistering heat then you shouldnt be at the party.
Last edited by bloodblind on Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:38 am

Raven wrote:Why are people commenting on what people are wearing? So what if fat blokes want to walk around with there tops off?

100% agreed. People are what they are. If you don't like it, look away. I get to decide what's an acceptable look for me, not you. Sure, there will be some people with toned gym bodies and some with rolls of flab everywhere. Both are just fine, whether they're covered up or uncovered with copious amounts of flesh on display. If the person in question is comfortable with looking like that, who are you to criticise them for it?
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:16 am

I really dont get this complaint with clothes at all. People are at a festival to cut loose and enjoy themselves so let them wear whatever makes them comfortable. It might not be pleasing to your eye but its no ones responsibility to try and look attractive for you.

Speaking as a fat hairy guy who spent most of the festival topless it just makes more sense from a practical perspective. This weekend was fucking boiling and I like to go in the pit a lot so ditching the top was just an decent way of easing the overheating situation.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:47 am

Not complaining but I saw the hairy guy as well, had to do a double take as I couldn't believe he was actually that hairy :lol: But fair play, if he wants to walk around like that then more power to him for doing it.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:49 am

Tet wrote:
Raven wrote:Why are people commenting on what people are wearing? So what if fat blokes want to walk around with there tops off?

100% agreed. People are what they are. If you don't like it, look away. I get to decide what's an acceptable look for me, not you. Sure, there will be some people with toned gym bodies and some with rolls of flab everywhere. Both are just fine, whether they're covered up or uncovered with copious amounts of flesh on display. If the person in question is comfortable with looking like that, who are you to criticise them for it?

I have to agree as well! To be honest, the people walking around topless/in dresses/just in their boxers didn't bother me in the slightest. Can hardly blame them with how hot it was.

Cerpin_Taxt
Definitely Not Nu

Postby Cerpin_Taxt » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:53 am

Absolutely couldn't agree more. Metal is all about sticking it to the man and doing what you want, if people want to take off some layers, dress as a gimp or wear a tiny crop top then fucking let them. Anyone in Metal who really cares about what they or other people look like has completely missed the point.

There's too much vanity in the world as it is anyway, all everyone seems to care about is their appearance. People need to stop being so fucking narcissistic and dress like a twat every once in a while.

Plus, it was fucking hot.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:30 am

Yes, festivals are the place for dressing like a twat, wearing ridiculous outfits and having a laugh. I don't do it myself, but it's always part of the fun of a festival seeing people wandering around the crowd in stupid outfits and costumes. My mate wore a dress the whole time at Metal Days, no one cared and it kinda suited him actually....and even helped him score with a girl on one of the days.

As for the complaints about topless guys, well it was hot wasn't it??? Are only guys under a certain weight allowed to take their tops off?

nihility00
Powermetal Child

Postby nihility00 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:37 am

I think this thread is a great tool to weed out the pertinent points from the nonconstructive whining to create something better for BOA 2016, but, there seems to be a pattern emerging where people are waiting till after the event, in the safety of their own homes and behind the guise of their usernames to bitch about things they could have had the moral courage to confront in the first place.

Lets get back on topic.

Nih
Don't care.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:42 am

The Good
  • The bands. This year's main stage headliners weren't to my taste, but the undercard was very good. I particularly enjoyed Arnocorps, Nuclear Assault, Armored Saint, Sabaton, Death DTA (band of the weekend IMO), Ensiferum and Fleshgod Apocalypse.
  • The people: met up with a lot of people I'd not seen in quite a while and encountered very few knobheads.
  • More beer and real cider options in the arena. :yes:
  • Some very good food stalls, especially Uncle Gio's and the bbq place near the Sophie stage.
  • The gallery - Hoping to see this expanded in future years, with different guest artists having their work exhibited alongside Paul's each year. It might also be cool to exhibit stage props and maybe have a section on set design.
  • Announcements of Behemoth and Venom, neither of whom I've seen.

The bad :
  • Paid onsite wi-fi was very poor. Shelled out on the first day cos I couldn't get a decent 3G signal. Managed to use the network on Thursday night when it was quiet but, by Friday when more people had arrived and the service had been advertised, I couldn't even use the BOA app properly or check the weather on the Met Office App.
  • The pizza place near(ish) the Rock Society tent. Very disappointing pizza.

The ugly:
  • Me in the mornings (bringing a roll mat rather than an air bed was a BAD mistake), particularly on Saturday morning when I had a hangover and the Sun was beating down.
  • My eyes on Sunday after I got sun cream in them
  • Some of the portaloos on Sunday night - how does anyone manage to miss the bowl by that much?
Last edited by MetalBeast on Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:56 am

Back on topic as this conversation happens in this thread every fucking year. Yes, fat guys will be topless. Some of them have inhuman amounts of hair and that's fine. Everyone get over it.

GOOD
- IRC Camp: all total legends except Jobdone's half a lemon joke.
- People not in the IRC camp that are also legends.
- Ne Obliviscaris lived up to high expectations. Saille were my surprise bloody good act of the weekend.
- Much improved sound quality
- Deli Kate and the Texas BBQ place did some cracking food.
- It didn't rain.
- I smuggled a lot of cans into the arena.
- Plentiful toilet roll.

BAD
- It was far too hot most of the time.
- Ensiferum's dancing girls - seriously Ensiferum stop it. You aren't Motley Crue.
- Korpiklaani not playing enough songs about booze.
- Wasps.
- People who still do the "butt scratcher" thing

UGLY
- The massive cunt at Ethereal who decided he wanted to be in the mosh pit and proceeded to ram into about 30 people on his way through the crowd to do that. I have nothing against pits but leave out the people who don't want to be involved.
- Whoever pilfered my camping chair from the shuttle bus on Monday. You sir, are a shit.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

RB2610
Denim Demon

Postby RB2610 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:22 pm

IMO the 'ugly' part is just for stuff that's a bit 'ewww', but is all just part of being at a festival. If people were genuinely offended by topless men and wanted them gone, they'd be in 'bad' surely?

I don't think anyone's saying they should cover up or bugger off, just acknowledging that let's face it, having a large, very sweaty man rubbing up against you in the crowd isn't the most pleasant of things.

Unless perhaps there really are people being utter gits and wanting stuff like topless men, men in dresses etc to be banned or something :|
Winner of "The who are you again? Award for people who seem to slip under the radar, despite posting regularly" 2009!!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:15 pm

GOOD

All the people who I bumped into. Not physically of course. :P

Toilets. And also people cleaning up in general.

The general atmosphere was a lot less confrontational than recent years. The acting like a twat count was certainly down.

Bar staff in the tents.

Security/stage crew.

Well behaved kids. Especially ones with ear protectors.

No nudity seen.

BAD

Disorganisation in the Bloodstock Arms on Thursday. No labels on the barrels so was just given "ale" of some description. You had to order lager from the other part so had to queue twice for a mixed order.

Disorganisation in the Bloodstock Arms on Friday morning. No one serving anything whilst pouring dozens of pints of Carling. Massive queue for the real ale after waiting for twenty minutes wanting something else. Seemed to sort itself out later though. So kudos for that.

The weather.

Some kids without ear protection.

Gobshites deciding to park themselves directly in the entrance to the tents. Especially by the wheelchair access part to the Sophie tent. Fucking move you twats, there's virtually an empty tent in there.

Far too many chairs.

UGLY

Man in dresses. Especially the one in a wedding dress.

Beer bellies.

Couple having noisy sex in Valhalla. No one really wants to hear that thanks. :P
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:51 pm

keera_envenomed wrote:- The massive cunt at Ethereal who decided he wanted to be in the mosh pit and proceeded to ram into about 30 people on his way through the crowd to do that. I have nothing against pits but leave out the people who don't want to be involved.

Forgot about him. He just barged his way in backwards through the crowd, not giving a single shit about who he was bumping into. That was pretty negligent and potentially quite dangerous.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:10 pm

RB2610 wrote:IMO the 'ugly' part is just for stuff that's a bit 'ewww', but is all just part of being at a festival. If people were genuinely offended by topless men and wanted them gone, they'd be in 'bad' surely?

I don't think anyone's saying they should cover up or bugger off, just acknowledging that let's face it, having a large, very sweaty man rubbing up against you in the crowd isn't the most pleasant of things.

Unless perhaps there really are people being utter gits and wanting stuff like topless men, men in dresses etc to be banned or something :|

Thank you. Nobody said anything about banning anything. Did people think also that I suggested they shave their body hair? I know it's not relevant to the organisation and management of the festival but neither is the weather or wasps.

II'll put it this way, I was walking topless back to my tent from the showers at one point. Now I'm about 20% body fat but I could still see the glint in the odd person's eyes of mild amusement or discomfort, then I actually got a light hearted catcall by some guys. That's more brazen than a comment on a forum but still not really something that warranted pulling the Sophie card. I just laughed it off.
Last edited by NeglectedField on Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.