2015 - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
DOUGAL
Powermetal Child

Re: 2015 - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Postby DOUGAL » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:20 pm

GOOD:
Main Stage Sound
– different sound system gave a much clearer sound; gone was the muddy booming from previous years. Could have done with some real low end welly though.
Opeth – outstanding performance & sound from this most accomplished band.
Enslaved – good despite their kit issues.
Bhelphegor – amazing, unique band.
Toilets – better maintained this year.
India Grill & Curry House – outstanding, restaurant standard Lamb Rogan Josh & delicious real charcoal grilled Chicken Tikka/Paneer naan breads.
Uncle Gio’s – lovely fresh baked pizza, enjoyable despite the (good) hot weather.
Halls Dorset Smokery – the best wraps.
Showsec – friendly & helpful security staff.
General Stalls – I found all of the people @ the bars, food, stalls etc to be very friendly.
Bloodstock Gallery - very interesting

BAD:
Limited beer choice @ the VIP bar
– @ 1 point only 3 cask ales were available; I get the impression that some of the casks were never tapped. Many of the beers I fancied were never available. Castle Rock Screech Owl has been on the list for 5 years, but I have yet to see this (& others) on sale.
VIP bar sale – driving home Mon, yet given the above late on Sun, the manager decided to get around to tapping more casks resulting in a 50% discount sale, this pissed me off as I couldn’t drink any more !
VIP Camping – less space, more campers = overcrowding; my neighbours tents were pitched over my guy rope pegs. Whilst I realise that disabled camping needs much more space, it looked more than 50% empty – large unused spaces.
VIP Toilets – better maintained but bearing in mind the increase in campers, nowhere near enough WCs for males or females – I gave up waiting & ended up using the main arena ones each day.
VIP DJs – still the case that the egotistical gobshites turn their mike up 100X the music level – Sat 12:00 could be heard near the main stage – painful earsplitting annoyance, I stayed out of there once I got my beer.
Trivium – boring, why they are so big is a mystery to me
Within Temptation – obvious to me that they were miming, when Sharon displaced her mike, the singing carried on as if by magic... Also anyone who still uses CDs will have experienced a scratched/damaged disc stop dead @ the same point. Ice Queen stopped dead @ the same point on 4 play attempts ! The previous & subsequent 'tracks' played fine; it is dead easy to switch the audio feed from the live intro mic to the CD player @ the mixing desk. Faults with kit/cables/power etc, occur intermittently/randomly, not always total loss & always @ the same point in time in just 1 track - must think we are all dummies - disgusted by this, but then again Terry Wogan plays Within Temptation CDs that stop/skip on his Radio 2 show - apparently - !
Quasi Religious Cult that surrounds DeliKate; there are other good food stalls (eg 3 I mention in Good) that don’t get heavily promoted in the members forums – let’s be fair, they are all competing businesses.
Rude & Selfish Gobshites – I was near the front of the main stage; 2 guys came & stood right in front of me & just spoke shite loudly for the whole set - not interested in the set so why were you there - to deliberately spoil fans' enjoyment ? This was especially annoying during quieter solos – happened @ 3 other bands also; there is a limit to how many times you feel forced to shift.
Food Stalls Choice– fewer stalls means less choice, only 1 solely vegan/vegetarian stall now (used to be 3), no pie/mash, no hog roast, no baked spud stall either ?
Stall Holder Charges - a few stall holders told me that it is unlikely that they will be back either, as the organisers are increasing fees substantially again next year.
Wasted Food – punters buying food/beer & just chucking it around for a laugh.

UGLY:
Everyone Mon morning....
Last edited by DOUGAL on Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RB2610
Denim Demon

Postby RB2610 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:23 pm

Dammit, so I faffed around hiding drinks in my trousers all weekend for nothing? D:
Winner of "The who are you again? Award for people who seem to slip under the radar, despite posting regularly" 2009!!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:57 pm

What's this about drinks being let in? I was necking cans of Stella down in one. :(
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

sugarmouse
Consort of the Beast

Postby sugarmouse » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:58 pm

Good

Stage sound. I thought the main stage was improved (aside from the glitches obviously).

I won't list all the bands I loved the performances of, there were so many sets I had a lot of good things to say about, goes without saying really.

The toilets-only came across one 'bad' one and that was very obviously deliberate. Only found one without hand sanitiser as well, good touch Bloodstock.

The beer, reasonably priced and the cider was nice-I remember when it was bottles and still the best part of £4. £4 for a pint isn't too bad at all.

The weather! I was so chuffed to not have to deal with rain, unbelievably so!

My tent-borrowed from a friend, warm and easy to assemble-the cold ruined a few nights for me in 2013.

The portable phone chargers

The chunky chip stand (I'm SO fat now)!

The atmosphere

Being able to take drinks in in plastic bottles. I didn't do it, but my friends did and they were having to be vigilent with their money, brilliant that they could do that.

BAD

THAT one toilet. Ugh someone had shat right along all the back bit of it, why just why

Rob Zombie finishing early.

The guy that would NOT leave me alone, I am friendly to anybody who wants a chat It's all part of the experience but he cropped up everywhere and wanted a lot more than aforementioned chat.

Korpiklaani not playing enough happy boozy songs-seriously dudes, we loved all that give us what we want!

Sound glitches

Trivium (sorry to fans, personal thing I just don't 'get' it).

I got slightly ill on Saturday and missed Ensiferum due to having a nap in my tent.

One food stall advertising water at £2 but selling it for £3 grr didn't notice until I'd walked too far to be assed walking back.

The inflatable football during Korpiklaani. Another why just why (sorry if I'm a killjoy).

The Ugly

Me, now!Fat, shattered, spotty! Need a week to recover, I suspect.

I second or third to stop complaining about fat people wearing, well what they want to wear I imagine! I'm not the slimmest but Bloodstock is one place I feel I can wear what I want without being judged, seems I was wrong!
Last edited by sugarmouse on Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We're all ****ed. It helps to remember this.

DOUGAL
Powermetal Child

Postby DOUGAL » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:11 pm

There were several free drinking water points around the arena & campsites; all you needed was an empty container.

sugarmouse
Consort of the Beast

Postby sugarmouse » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:16 pm

That is true. I can't remember why I didn't go for those, maybe lack of empty container, maybe sheer laziness :)

nihility00
Powermetal Child

Postby nihility00 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:19 pm

I think you misunderstood, GandalfTheRed. I mean there are some very good points being brought out, however, there are a number complaining about individual festival goers doing something bad or annoying and, instead of saying "stop it" directly to them in person, they simply waited till this thread was created and whinged about them where it is about as much use as tits on a fish because they lack a spine. That's what I mean, like I said, some good points are being raised for next year such as more security for disabled campsite for example.
Don't care.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:34 pm

nihility00 wrote:I think you misunderstood, GandalfTheRed. I mean there are some very good points being brought out, however, there are a number complaining about individual festival goers doing something bad or annoying and, instead of saying "stop it" directly to them in person, they simply waited till this thread was created and whinged about them where it is about as much use as tits on a fish because they lack a spine. That's what I mean, like I said, some good points are being raised for next year such as more security for disabled campsite for example.

Oh. I thought it was a moan about the thread being pointless in general. :oops:

However I don't think anyone should really go around having a go at someone for being a twat or being "fat and ugly". Either that person may hit you or they might get upset (may even have serious health issues).
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

sugarmouse
Consort of the Beast

Postby sugarmouse » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:41 pm

I agree, I think It's nice to see people relaxed and wearing what they want. It's a metal festival isn't that sort of the point?

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:42 pm

And that's another gripe that I've just remembered.

Why wasn't there any Coca Cola anywhere in the venue? Pepsi is disgusting. :hurl: If they were an official sponsor then I could maybe understand.

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:10 pm

Meant there was loads of Mountain Dew though and that made me very happy if completely buzzy. :)
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:14 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:Many of my friends were allowed in with their own drink so long as it was decanted into plastic and not in a can.

Yeah that's what I meant. Good to see.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:22 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Pepsi is disgusting. :hurl: If they were an official sponsor then I could maybe understand.

They were. As I understand it, the lack of Coke on site was because Pepsi had paid for it to be that way.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

nihility00
Powermetal Child

Postby nihility00 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:34 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:I don't think anyone should really go around having a go at someone for being a twat or being "fat and ugly".

Definitely not for their looks or build, I don't see how people can think this is a problem and should do some research about the Sophie Lancaster stage. I would like to think that other Bloodstockers would step up and do the right thing against bellendish behaviour such as pissing in the arena etc.

Anyway, we digress!
Don't care.

Virtue
Lowly Peon

Postby Virtue » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:29 am

The Good:

-Saw loads of bands for the first time, some standouts include: Sabaton, Overkill, RedRum, Savage Messiah, Nuclear Assault, Dark Angel, Spirytus, Orange Goblin and Wolf.
- Opeth where amazing
- Really cool and relaxed security
- The general atmosphere
- My third bloodstock, once again one of my faves ever!

The Bad:

- Korpiklaani, where were the songs about drink?!
- Rob Zombie, disappointing set, half of it was covers and the other half a guitar solo. Rob you have a huge back catalogue of your own material and White Zombie stuff, stop fucking around with covers, you're a headliner FFS!
- Some fuck nugget in Korp drunkenly trying to start a pit near the back/middle. Fuck off you drunken dickhead!
- The wasps
- The heat
- Some bands deciding the bass drum is the main instrument of the band. (soundcheck guys get your ears cleaned)

The Ugly:

-Saw a guy half naked - the wrong way around.
-a random dude having him in his tent dumped in our camp with a load of rubbish piled on top (including a chinese), and his snoring being so bad it was like waking the fucking dead, seriously I go about 2 hours sleep the first night!