2015 - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Slev
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: 2015 - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Postby Slev » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:47 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Why wasn't there any Coca Cola anywhere in the venue? Pepsi is disgusting. :hurl: If they were an official sponsor then I could maybe understand.

This was a big problem for me. As a result, I could only drink water in the arena, and the 30 minute walk each way to the car precluded my going anywhere else for refreshments.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:32 am

nihility00 wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:I don't think anyone should really go around having a go at someone for being a twat or being "fat and ugly".

Definitely not for their looks or build, I don't see how people can think this is a problem and should do some research about the Sophie Lancaster stage. I would like to think that other Bloodstockers would step up and do the right thing against bellendish behaviour such as pissing in the arena etc.

Anyway, we digress!

I'm thinking more about reasons of safety rather than anything else. After all a punch from a drunk or fat bastard is probably more likely to hurt if they hit you. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:08 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Why wasn't there any Coca Cola anywhere in the venue? Pepsi is disgusting. :hurl: If they were an official sponsor then I could maybe understand.

Damn right. Had to go off on Saturday and get some diet coke because pepsi just won't do. Tango is alright though.
Fjar wrote:I can't tell if she's got sun cream on or she's getting crusty round the edges..

I WRITE THINGS
last.fm

Deadite91
Definitely Not Nu

Postby Deadite91 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:45 am

The Good:

Bands:
Death, Cannibal Corpse, 1349, Napalm Death, Rob Zombie, Fleshgod Apocolypse, Overkill, Belphagor, Savage Messiah, Saille.

Band Related:
The size of Corpsegrinders neck, Rob Zombies jiving, Barney Greenway, Black label societys roadie showing everyone EXACTLY what he was bringing off after every song haha

Food:
Pizza Pockets and 5 garlic bread slices with cheese and pepperoni.

Other:
Venom and Behemoth being announced for 2016, the weather (although a little draining), my campsite neighbours.

The Bad:

Bands:
Black label society, Black label society, Black label society, Black label society and Black label society (most boring band ive ever seen)

Band Related:
Zakk Wyldes self indulgent guitar solos.

Other:
Wasps...Fucking Wasps EVERYWHERE!
Peaking too early and missing arnocorps :x
Some of the prices for patches in the market!

The Ugly:
The guy wandering around in the gimp suit, I was sweating wearing a vest and shorts so Christ knows how he felt.
Sound problems during Fleshgod apocolyspe.
Some guy letting off a green smoke bomb/flare thing in the pit during Cannibal Corpse right in front of me.
The smell of the urinals.
The portable phone "chargers", I went for the £23 option so I could get three chargers. A full charger gave my phone no more than 35%...essentially I paid £23 for just over a full phone charge...

euantehclansman
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby euantehclansman » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:13 am

The Good

Arnocorps- Ballsy as ever!
Nuclear Assault- Set flew by! The new tunes are soundin magic too!
Oaf- Great fun. Was amusing seeing the security guards laughing at us singing "Disgusted by Your Genitalia"
Sabaton- Bit too much fucking about, but aye. Headliners next time.
Conan- Blew my ears off as usual. Pit looked intense during Foehammer.
PIST- Groovy wake up call. Fantastic!
Anihilated- Always fun live, but on particularly good form! More Slayer than Slayer ;)
Orange Goblin- Played a belter! Definitely deserved the main stage slot!
Godflesh- Heavy as all fuck! Great way to end the weekend!

Deli Kate's- Missed the breakfast every day this year, but as usual everything else I had was spot on :yes:
Pulled meat sandwich place- Pulled chicken in peri peri was great!
Uncle Gio's- Pepperoni calzone and garlic bread as delicious as always!
Donut place- Just plain ol' sugar donuts, but just what I was after at 10pm :yes:

Beast- 6.66% and still only £4? I'm down with that! Keep up the good work! Being able to take your own beer in was also great.

The weather- Got sunburnt on the Thursday while waiting to get in. But was great not drowning in mud.

The toilets- Much better maintained than last year. Sure, I encountered the odd lack of loo roll or hand gel, but it wasn't within an hour of the arena opening. Never seemed to find an awful overflowing mess of one either :yes:

The Bad

Trivium- Wasn't going to bother watching any of them but decided why the fuck not. 2 songs and I was done. Just flat as hell.

Korpiklaani- Don't listen to them much these days but they're normally great live. Boring, which was a shame. Nowhere near as much energy as they usually do.

Within Temptation- See Trivium.

Missing Agalloch because I was meeting people at the gate :(

The queue to get in on Thursday. I've never had to wait for over an hour to get in. Dunno if that's just because I arrived earlier than normal mind you.

The wasps. Fuck the fuck off you fucks! :x

The Ugly

I got nothing really. Favourite BOA I've attended yet :yes:

pandimensionalsuffering.bandcamp.com

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:54 am

Deadite91 wrote:The portable phone "chargers", I went for the £23 option so I could get three chargers. A full charger gave my phone no more than 35%...essentially I paid £23 for just over a full phone charge...

Did you try taking it back and asking for a refund? I got three full charges and the battery pack was still half full afterwards each time.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby robin8585 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:22 pm

The Good:

Took my Dad as his 60th Birthday present. Was a bit worried as the time approached that it might have been a mistake, but he had an awesome time (even took home some merch)
Ne Obliviscaris, Winter Storm, Diatessaron, Sabaton, Delain, Opeth, Mordred, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Agalloch, Cannibal Corpse, Killer Hurts and Lawnmower Deth
The toilets
The food
Much better sound than previous times I've attended

The bad:

Alunah and We Are The Catalyst, was looking forward to both of them and thought they were piss poor
Ensiferum's sound, the keyboards make it for me, very dull when you can't hear them
Ensiferum getting their balls out with dancing girls, I'm sure it seemed like a really funny joke at some point, but seriously, WTF?

The Ugly:

The acquaintance of mine (who shall remain nameless) who was pissing in the crowd during Sabaton, then decided to get his kit off and start dancing at people while twirling his underwear over his head. I thought one guy was going to lamp him, and it would have been well deserved
The couple having really loud sex in Valhalla on Thursday night/Friday morning
The aroma I had developed by the time I got home on Monday

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:27 pm

Tet wrote:
Deadite91 wrote:The portable phone "chargers", I went for the £23 option so I could get three chargers. A full charger gave my phone no more than 35%...essentially I paid £23 for just over a full phone charge...

Did you try taking it back and asking for a refund? I got three full charges and the battery pack was still half full afterwards each time.
My first one did fuck all, the second and third ones worked as advertised though.

My own, personal one (a Bracketron UGC-482-BX) charged my phone twice before I decided to conserve the charge to use it as a torch/lantern for the rest of the weekend. Might get a second one of these for next year.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Deadite91
Definitely Not Nu

Postby Deadite91 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:59 pm

Tet wrote:

I didn't, unfortunately I couldn't be bothered with the hassle, walking the 20ft from the main stage to the stall would've killed me in the heat. I only went there on recommendation from my friend who got them at Download and said they were a life saver. I'll put it down as experience and stop complaining haha

Bio-Zombi
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bio-Zombi » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:39 pm

Good-Our camping friends,all of the bands I wanted to watch putting on a good show,the weather,the pop-up gazebo we got for this year,seeing so many people there that I not only know,but like as well :lol:

Bad-Security (Or lack of in Disabled),Vip'ers thinking that because the security was lacking in disabled it was ok to just swan in and use the bogs in there. Stay in your own fucking camp!

Ugly-Me at about 10 on Thursday night when my legs forgot what they were supposed to do...
You should try being dead...

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:46 pm

robin8585 wrote:The couple having really loud sex in Valhalla on Thursday night/Friday morning

You must have camped by me. That was keeping us awake as well. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Leemanruss
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Leemanruss » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:13 pm

The Good:

- Delain absolutely blowing me away
- Sabaton's stage show and set
- Cannibal Corpse pit
- Xerath's sound (first time I've seen them where I have been able to hear the backing tracks that make them so unique)
- Within Temptation's performance and their professional during the cringeworthy sound issues during 'Ice Queen'
- Ihsahn, Korpiklaani, Agalloch, Red Rum, Metaprism, Ne Obliviscaris, Desecration, Bast, Diatessaron, Countless Skies, Sumer, Taken By The Tide, Overoth, Foul Body Autopsy

- The excellent food all over the arena. Not too outrageously priced and pretty decent tasting and good sized portions.
- Carling Cider. I had one pint at the end of the night on Sunday and wondered why I wasn't drinking this all weekend!
- Cheaper drinks prices in arena
- The sound was much louder than previous years and I suppose the sound was better overall, despite a lot of major technical difficulties
- There didn't seem to be a restriction on swearing on the mainstage
- Security allowing everyone to walk in and out of arena with alcohol as long as its not in a can or bottle.
- General atmosphere felt friendlier than 2013 and 2014 and I saw next to no dickish behaviour
- Kids with ear protection
- Seeing all the people I know at Bloodstock again. Every year, I know more and more people. I can barely walk to the stages without being stopped about 5 times on the way!
- John 5's solo. I didn't watch Rob Zombie, but our camp could hear the solo from Midgard and we were all marvelling at it from a distance.
- The awesome 'Iron Throne' wheelchair that I saw
- Lost my wallet in the Cannibal Corpse pit and it was handed in an hour later after I gave my details and a description with nothing missing (second time its happened. Same thing happened in Testament's pit in 2012)
- Seemed to be less bin jousting

The Bad:

- Clashes. It was torture walking out of Countless Skies' set (along with a lot of other people who seemed to have the same idea) and then walking PAST Enslaved playing one of my favourite songs in order to go and watch Ne Obliviscaris.

- A pissed up/drugged up older woman with a big white hair bun barged between me and my fiance at Countless Skies and just started waving her arms in my face and screaming constantly throughout their set. I had to move to the back before I lost it.

- Major technical difficulties for many of the bands that I saw: e.g. Xerath's guitar meaning they had to cut out 'Unite to Defy', Within Temptation's backing tracks during Ice Queen, cutting the power, whatever was up with Ihsahn, the loud humming on the new blood stage for Countless Skies and Diatessaron, Alunah's singer seemed to be a semi tone out (probably couldn't hear herself) so I had to walk out, not being able to hear Ensiferum's keyboards at all (which MAKES the music) and that funny hiccup they had just after the intro had played out, Agalloch's sound being quite weak and needed the vocals and lead guitar to be turned up

- Although atmosphere was friendlier than previous years, it didn't seem as 'Bloodstock' to me, if that makes sense.

- Drugged up guy next to me dancing to Delain non-stop like he was at some kind of Cyber-rave

- Dickish behaviour during Foul Body Autopsy: climbing on barrels, climbing on PA system, throwing people over the barrier. I think Tom did well to play so well and keep his nerve about him.

- In light of above, lack of security on Jager Stage

- Security barely searched anyone. As nice as they are and as good as they are, they didn't search my fiance's bag once when walking into the arena

- People who think its ok to weigh 18 stone and crowdsurf

The Ugly:

- ZP's attitude during I Am I, swearing at the crowd, throwing water on them, getting the crowd to chant 'twat' at an audience member... to think I used to love him in DragonForce

- Dancing girls during Ensiferum's set. What on earth???
Atmosfest: '17 '18
BOA: '08 '09 '10 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '16 '17 '18
Damnation: '11 '13 '16 '17
Download: '06
HammerFest: '09 '17
Hellfest: '17
HRH Vikings: '18
PMQF: '17 '18
Ragnarok: '18
Wacken: '17
Wacken Winter Nights: '19
Warhorns: '16 '17 '18

synth_etic
Powermetal Child

Postby synth_etic » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:59 pm

Good
-It didn't rain, that made me happy.
-Still felt like Bloodstock despite questionable bands
-Nacho Grande
-Finally seeing Enslaved (even though the sound was bad)
-Agalloch
-Good toilets (nevet used a 'unclean' one once this year)
-The glorious moment the flock of geese flew over Midgard, everyone cheered, it was all good.

Bad
-The security staff. Not speaking for all of them, but there were two of them who were complete arseholes when walking around Midgard. They were doing something (forget what now) and they replied to us really badly, swearing, and just generally very dick-ish
-Usual technical difficulties
-The queue to get in, nevet have I waited for a hour and half to get through the gates
-The queue for the arena. Searching through bags I understand, but this year was stupid.
-The heat, to much heat!

The Ugly
-What was the deal with so meany streakers this year?
-The sunburn I suffered

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:20 pm

Am I the only one who enjoyed Korpiklaani's set? It's not like their back catalogue isn't full of brilliant "serious" songs, and they did chuck in the usual party songs.

Naked flesh:
Sure, why not? There's plenty of other things to avert your gaze towards at a festival. They're fat? So? They're pretty? If you like it, you don't need to avert your gaze. THINK OF THE CHILDREN! Suddenly they're going to start copying? Their parents should be close by to stop them.
DOUGAL wrote:Quasi Religious Cult that surrounds DeliKate; there are other good food stalls (eg 3 I mention in Good) that don’t get heavily promoted in the members forums – let’s be fair, they are all competing businesses.

As a dedicated follower of the Church of Deli Kate, may I offer an explanation?

Kate's been an *active* member of the forum for some years, offering her opinions, offering the opportunity for feedback, requests, gives great customer service and shouts about her food hygiene (all her minions pass a mobile catering course tin order to be able to work for her) which puts all her customers' minds at rest. Her reputation is well earned.

She also likes to promote other stalls nearby. There were also long queues at other stalls this year, which was encouraging to see, suggesting a much higher quality offering. You also must have missed other folks praise other said stalls. Feel free to start one for your favourite.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Viktor Boskovic
Lowly Peon

Postby Viktor Boskovic » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:35 pm

The good -

the security
The portatoilets were fairly well kept
The medical tent
The general atmosphere

The bad

Parents bringing young children. Their ears are the least of their worries when you are smoking drugs right next to them.
People not flushing the toilets
Songs about peodophiles
I tried going the toilet through the fence an security wrestled me to the ground...they didn't even let me wipe my arse

The ugly
People keeping their clothes on
Judgemental people