August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Re: Rate the bands

Postby florencethemachine » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:46 pm

Thursday

Reign of Fury - Enjoyable Melodic Thrash. Bit bland at times. 5.5/10
Metaprism - Interesting dual vocal aspect with chuggy music. 5/10
Desecration - Sound wasn't great but a brutal, enjoyable set nonetheless. I fucking Loves em. 7.5/10
Red Rum - Ensiferum lite. Extra point for the Hobbits to Isengard cover. 5.5/10

Friday

Nuclear Assault - Didn't play Hang the Pope! It's only 50 seconds long! Catchy and energetic. The band were clearly exhausted from travelling. 7/10
Raging Speedhorn - Both vocalists sounded identical and the music wafted over me like a lukewarm fart. very bland. 3.5/10
Bast - Chilled out blackened Sludge. was quite hypnotic and it put me in the mood for the rest of the lineup. 8/10
Armored Saint - Gloriously Metal. John Bush is an amazing vocalist and the new tracks sound as good as the old ones. Great music. 8.5/10
Belphegor - Absolutely phenomenal. Great stage presence from Helmuth (love the Undetaker-esque eye roll). I thought they were better on the main stage than they were in the tent in 2013. Which is odd for a Death/Black band. 9/10
Enslaved - Despite losing their shit they played a blinder. Guitars were crisp and the rhythm section was tight. Glad they played Ethica Odini. 9.5/10
Ihsahn - First of many Technical hitches. The tracks off of Das Seelenbrechen sounded better live than on record. Only one track from previous albums though. The Emperor medley and remix of Thus Spake the Nightspirit caught me off guard and definitely warrants some bonus points. His live band look young enough to be his sons. 7.5/10
Sabaton - Only watched 2/3 of their set but it was absolutely brilliant. Fantastic energy and they truly have the makings of a future Headliner. Gutted I missed the tank shooting confetti. 9/10
Conan - Left Sabaton early and I wasn't disappointed. Heavy as fuck Stoner Doom with an emphasis on groove and pummeling rhythm. Like being stomped on by an elephant. 8.5/10
Trivium - They played some songs. They are like the John Cena of Metal. They are knowledgeable metal fans (Heafy loves his Black Metal) they can play their instruments but not one iota of their music resonates with me. I'm sure for Trivium fans it was a massive success but it just left me largely indifferent. 5/10
Delain - On the other hand, A band I don't care for too much on record turned out to be a surprisingly heavy and exciting prospect live. I hate to sound like a dick but We are the Others was the weakest track of the entire setlist. I wholeheartedly support the sentiment behind their choosing to play it though. 8/10

Saturday

Savage Messiah - Fast, Loud and catchy. All you want from an opening band. Wouldn't pay to watch them again though. 6/10
Xerath - Saw them a couple days prior supporting Ne Obliviscaris in London so I wasn't exactly chomping at the bit to watch them. Sounded a bit flatter this time round (possibly due to an outdoors environment). Technical hitch hampered them massively. 5/10
1349 - Blistering! Frost was blasting like a madman and the whole band was firing on all cylinders. The new tracks sounded great especially as they have a thrash flavour to them. Got a pick too! 9/10
Jasad - Standard Brutal Death Metal which is a sub-genre I have a massive soft spot for. Heavy as fuck and it was refreshing to hear some slams at Bloodstock. Pitiful crowd to begin with but the Death Metal fans were being slowly lured in as the set progressed. Great to see a band who travelled all this way receive a great reaction. Closest thing to a heartfelt moment during a Brutal Death Metal set! 8.5/10
Napalm Death - Napalm Death being Napalm Death. Seen them dozens of times but it was great to hear the new tracks live for the first time. Adversarial/Copulating Snakes is a classic Napalm Track. It was Fuckin' A! 9/10
Dark Angel - Simply wow. To hear so many thrash classics played live was phenomenal as was the gusto the band delivered said tracks. Top 3 sets of the weekend. 9.5/10
Death - As if having Napalm Death and Dark Angel wasn't enough, I was then treated to listening to some of the best metal ever composed performed live. The guys did a stellar job of carrying Chuck's legacy. 9/10
Opeth - I actually like Opeth's later works so I found their set really enjoyably. Definitely a real palate cleanser after the overwhelming heaviness of prior bands. Obviously not the tracks I would pick for an Opeth setlist but their sound was immaculate and deliverance is always great to hear live. 8.5/10
Fleshgod Apocalypse - Finally got to see them live and they did not disappoint. I thought it was never going to happen after a delayed start and power cut at the beginning of Minotaur. I was right at the front and could hear the guitars clear as day. The Opera singer wasn't as loud which was fine by me and the setlist was stunning. A real masterclass of musicianship and performance. Additional highlights being the pianist tripping over a speaker and the confetti at the end making me feel like I was playing the end game of Crystal Maze. 10/10

Sunday

Agalloch - Fucking Beautiful! My mate said the sound was shocking from where he was standing and all he could hear was bass. From where I was it was crystal clear and Hearing Limbs then Falling Snow live was just sublime. the rhythm section did drop the ball a couple of times and John seemed a bit eager to head off in preparation for the gig in London but it was almost tear-jerking for me! The constant surprised/orgasm expression on the guitarist Don's face was quite amusing. I love his stage presence though. Haunting and uplifting at the same time. Only marked down because it was 11am in the bloody morning and only 40 minutes. 9.5/10

*Deli Kate breakfast break. There were more people queuing than there was people watching Agalloch*

Pro-Pain - I enjoy their metallic Hardcore and it was refreshing to listen to something a bit bouncy. As aforementioned the crowd was undeservedly sparse which is surprising given how popular Hatebreed were last year. 8/10
Sepultura - Was great hearing the old tracks and the new ones sounded okay. Must eventually give the post-roots albums a listen at some point. A consistently good live band. 8/10
Ensiferum - Love their older material but not a massive fan of the newer tracks which there were a lot of. It all sounded a bit muddled at times. They are still a good live band, I think I was feeling a bit fatigued at this point. 7.5/10
Cannibal Corpse - Vintage Cannibal Corpse! nothing changes with them. A couple of new tracks which sounded furious live but Corpsegrinder's stage banter has not changed at all. Setlist was pretty standard too but it was a lesson in sonic violence. 8.5/10
Trepalium - Reminded me of Gojira at times. A lot of Swing and groove and really easy to headbang to. they sounded tight and meaty which made for an enjoyable set. 8/10
Godflesh - Maybe I was delirious from tiredness but I thought they were otherworldy. The image of justin writhing awkwardly to the music with that basic album cover video backdrop just seemed really fucking bleak in the most positive way. I loce the distortion and the whole DIY aspect of two normal looking blokes with instruments and a laptop creating these oppressive yet groovy industrial rhythms. top notch. 10/10

ghostbc
Lowly Peon

Postby ghostbc » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:20 pm

A good festival, my favourites being Ne Obliviscaris (8), Godsized (9), Orange Goblin (9), Death DTA (8) and Overkill (7).

The worst was surely Within Temptation (1), not because of their technical faults (I had left in disgust by then), but because Sharon was miming the large majority of the set that I stayed for. I smelt a fish when the all-too-perfect vocals continued in the first track even when her mike slipped, but it was clear to me that no singer - however talented - can pull off technical vocals when charging around the stage. She genuinely sang for the first time on perhaps the seventh track and you could easily tell the difference as her voice had a slight screech, rather than the record-quality purity of before and after. I soberly watched the video screen in disgust.

Bloodstock should be ashamed of themselves for putting on a headline act that don't sing most of their vocals.

Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Powerslave » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:32 pm

ghostbc wrote:but because Sharon was miming the large majority of the set that I stayed for.

that's just not true

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:43 pm

Aye - obviously there are tapes, but the lead vocals weren't perfect at all, so Im fairly sure they weren't mimed. Anyone who says it can't be done has never seen a musical
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

bloodblind
Consort of the Beast

Postby bloodblind » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:55 pm

Godflesh - Maybe I was delirious from tiredness but I thought they were otherworldy. The image of justin writhing awkwardly to the music with that basic album cover video backdrop just seemed really fucking bleak in the most positive way. I loce the distortion and the whole DIY aspect of two normal looking blokes with instruments and a laptop creating these oppressive yet groovy industrial rhythms. top notch. 10/10

I will get mine down at some point but my general consensus is in agreement with all of florencehemachines post and I watched the majority of those bands as well, with a few extras. Just too ruined from the whole weekend! As much as I've complained about the headliners I think Rob Zombie did well and it was nice to have a bit of fun on the stage after such a great crushing line up all weekend with so many great performances. Trivium I've never cared for but I gave them a chance and was pretty much impressed by their musicianship but the songs just have nothing there, by the time matt heafy had told his Isahn and Dio stories I'd had enough of uninspired music with name dropping. Thank goodness for Fleshgod. The later Sophie shows were a blessing and really made the festival so much better this year. Can't Praise BOA enough for this year, great line up and flow of genres too, well crafted. Totally agree about Within Temptation also gave them a chance and it was just so dire and fake and all the backing track vocals too just really bad, I cant believe they are so popular on here. Delain however were fantastic and she made a great vocal performance one of the best I've heard. so once again the late shows on the Sophie stage really worked well, an idea that we have to thank Mustaine for last year, whether the rumours about him making Satan play after him is true or not I dont know. Zakk Wylde was surprisingly decent as well however even as an avid guitarist and shred fan the solo was a bit over the top and could have been cut shorter to include another tune, an Ozzy cover would have been nice! Absolute highlight has to be Death, Dark Angel and Napalm.. that was just amazing. Sepultura the best overall sound all weekend and amazing guitar work from Andreas, no need for another guitarist! Also Godflesh were incredible, shame about the screen packing in half way through the dark trip into the abyss. Great ending to the festival
Last edited by bloodblind on Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScrumpiesVeteran
Leather Rebel

Postby ScrumpiesVeteran » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:03 pm

ghostbc wrote:A good festival, my favourites being Ne Obliviscaris (8), Godsized (9), Orange Goblin (9), Death DTA (8) and Overkill (7).

The worst was surely Within Temptation (1), not because of their technical faults (I had left in disgust by then), but because Sharon was miming the large majority of the set that I stayed for. I smelt a fish when the all-too-perfect vocals continued in the first track even when her mike slipped, but it was clear to me that no singer - however talented - can pull off technical vocals when charging around the stage. She genuinely sang for the first time on perhaps the seventh track and you could easily tell the difference as her voice had a slight screech, rather than the record-quality purity of before and after. I soberly watched the video screen in disgust.

Bloodstock should be ashamed of themselves for putting on a headline act that don't sing most of their vocals.

I thought that too as I do not know the material too well. A big fan explained that some of the tracks had "guest" vocals, but live these were done by way of backing tracks rather than have anyone else on stage. I got it, but it seems lazy and disrespectful to your audience not to explain. Personally I thought she had a great voce but it was basically pop music with her looking like a badly aging Britney Spears singing Evanesence covers (awaits abuse).
ScrumpiesVeteran: "a great big bloke that smells of apples" - NOT !!!!

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:03 pm

None of the acts were mimed. What you may have seen is the delay on the screens at the sides of the stage. It's enough to make you think the vocals are mimed, but when you see the other instrumentalists you can actually notice it's a delay.

The closer you are to the stage the more you notice that delay, too.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

pinhead0303
Consort of the Beast

Postby pinhead0303 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:09 pm

Powerslave wrote:
ghostbc wrote:but because Sharon was miming the large majority of the set that I stayed for.

that's just not true

She uses a backing track that can make it look like she's miming. During the first couple of songs it was embarrassingly obvious and I can totally understand why people would think she was miming everything.

ScrumpiesVeteran
Leather Rebel

Postby ScrumpiesVeteran » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:11 pm

Jim wrote:None of the acts were mimed. What you may have seen is the delay on the screens at the sides of the stage. It's enough to make you think the vocals are mimed, but when you see the other instrumentalists you can actually notice it's a delay.

The closer you are to the stage the more you notice that delay, too.

During WT's set there were quite a few guest vocals that did not equate to anyone on stage singing at all. However it was ONLY the guest vocals that were taped, the lead singer was definitely not miming. It did look odd though when she was holding the mike at arm's length and her mouth not moving, to hear another woman's voice on stage. The male "rap style" vocals were definitely taped too
ScrumpiesVeteran: "a great big bloke that smells of apples" - NOT !!!!

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:11 pm

ScrumpiesVeteran wrote:
ghostbc wrote:
I thought that too as I do not know the material too well. A big fan explained that some of the tracks had "guest" vocals, but live these were done by way of backing tracks rather than have anyone else on stage. I got it, but it seems lazy and disrespectful to your audience not to explain. Personally I thought she had a great voce but it was basically pop music with her looking like a badly aging Britney Spears singing Evanesence covers (awaits abuse).

It certainly creates a disconnect between band and audience but it's better than it was - they used to play with no videos so was just piped in. Having the performance videos breaks some of that down. One has had a sex change since filming theirs....The opener had Tarja as the guest singer, and they sing in a similar style on that track
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

bloodblind
Consort of the Beast

Postby bloodblind » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:18 pm

The singer from Delain was so much better though and it was note perfect, really incredible. They sure can both sing really well but Delain won me over big time

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:27 pm

ScrumpiesVeteran wrote:The male "rap style" vocals were definitely taped too

Yeah that's Xzibit's guest vocals on that track, performed as a sample on the performance. Shame they couldn't have him there in person though.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:34 pm

I actually liked the videos for the guest vocals. As for the miming. I didn't noticed anything untoward - we were relatively close to the stage. Yes, there were backing tracks, but it certainly sounded like she was singing, as there were blemishes in her delivery (very slight, as a sign of a good singer, but they were there).

I can only assume some people have got confused with either the use of backing tracks, or did not realise there is a time delay between the audio and visual.

n1489
Definitely Not Nu

Postby n1489 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:06 pm

Belphegor (8) was the first band that I paid attention to on the Friday and the decent sound (clear and loud) was a surprise as was the commitment of the band at this hour. Having witnessed a fair few black metal failures in the afternoon sun in previous years it was good to see that it can work on the main stage if the conditions are right.
Despite the problems that Enslaved (8) had with missing gear they still managed to pull together a good performance - at least once the sound levels settled down, It really was all over the place for the first song though. As one of my favourite bands of all time a poor sound would have been about the only thing that could have ruined it for me. A great rendition of Allfǫðr Oðinn was an expected bonus.
I’m really not sure what Ihsahn (3) was trying to achieve. The rest of his band looked like they should still be at school and while technical problems obviously didn’t help it was all too obvious that his recent work is not at all festival material. The Emperor bits were pretty half-hearted too and overall it was a very mixed bag that seemed to leave most people looking bemused and wondering what the point of it all was.
Sabaton (9) played an awesome festival set and put on more of a headline performance than any of the 3 actual headliners. Sure there’s not a lot of depth to the music but there is enough of a metal band beneath the trappings and the humour managed to come across as real despite much of it involving rehearsed routines – not an easy line to walk. Not a band I spend much time listening too but I’ve now seen them 3 times at Bloodstock and have enjoyed every minute. Should headline next time they’re booked.
Trivium (0) were just terrible. No personality or stage craft combined with an immediately forgettable jumble of riffs passing for songs – it was hard to spot any redeeming features and the small crowd seemed to further question their status on the bill. I have made a point in recent years of giving bands that I don’t like a chance (usually 3 songs) to prove me wrong. In this case I really shouldn’t have wasted my time. A classic as of a band who need lots of pyro etc. to mask their inherent dullness and they didn’t even manage to bring that.
Delain (8) were a lot of fun and there was a much better atmosphere in the tent than in the arena. Musically it’s not really my thing and as I left before the end but it certainly left a better impression at the end of the day than Trivium would have done.
1349 (7) again followed Belphegor in proving that Black Metal can work in the afternoon sun with commitment and a decent sound. Of course it would have been better later on in the tent but they did as well as could have been expected in the circumstances.
Whilst I admire Korpiklaani (5) for not just playing the party songs and I quite like some of the slower stuff on record it has to be said the set was a mess and whilst enjoyable in parts it could have been so much better. The band appeared to be largely going through the motions and it’s probably time for them to decide on which direction they are going to go in and then stick to it.
Death (10) were the band of the festival for me. I own a couple of albums but they were never a band that I really got in to. However, the performance here was absolutely stunning with amazing musicianship, the sound of the weekend and a great vibe. A wonderful celebration of Chuck’s legacy but it’s also a major worry that what is essentially a covers band put so much more in to their performance than almost every other band on the bill.
Opeth (8.5) were a pleasant surprise. One of my favourite bands of all time until they released heritage and whilst I don’t think that it is a bad album it certainly pales in comparison to what came before for me. The new stuff did seem to work ok live but finishing with a fantastic rendition of Deliverance (one of their heaviest tracks) was a masterstroke. I was also surprised by the size of the crowd and the way that Opeth held the attention of most people through the quieter proggy parts. Great band and a great performance.
The Sunday was a very poor line-up for me but got off to a good start with Wolf (7) but especially Orange (Fucking) Goblin (Baby) (9) waking the crowd up. It was packed for the Goblin and they even managed to get one of the largest pits that I saw all weekend. Top performance.
I think my main problem with the bill is that most of the bands are very samey whilst representing diverse styles of metal. Essentially if you have heard one Ensiferum (1), Cannibal Corpse (7) or BLS (2) song you have pretty much heard it all. I have never understood the appeal of Ensiferum. Although they use less keyboards than most they still seem to have less metal in them than virtually any other folk metal band that you care to name. I couldn’t stomach more than 2 songs so missed the dancing girls but if that’s what you need to rely on to keep people interested then you are in trouble. I watched BLS from near the bar where his chest beating and guitar wanking antics came across as particularly amusing.
Finally Rob Zombie closed the festival with a set that wasted time with pointless covers, fucking about and still finished 15 minutes early. No stage show to speak of either and the sex machine cover was fucking horrific – I never want to hear anything like this at Bloodstock ever again. All in all it was such a blatant case of turn up and pocket the cash that I was astounded to see people buying t-shirts afterwards. I’m can stomach a few old tracks and some of the White Zombie stuff and TBH this could have been such a fun set but it definitely left a sour taste in the mouth – although that could also have been due to the Bloodstock Arms selling off the last of the ale at bargain prices.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:17 pm

Friday:
Nuclear Assault - 9 Big tick on my thrash bucket list and critical mass was stunning, set was just too short for me
Armored saint - 7 solid if a bit unspectacular
Enslaved - 6.
Ihsahn - 5 frankly a bit boring
Overkill - 10 One of the bands of the weekend for me
Sabaton - 10. Fantastic set
trivium - 1. Utter shite, I gave them 2 songs and went back to the campsite in disgust

Sat:
Savage messiah - 7
Pig Iron - 7 liked them a lot
1349 - 6 sorry, just don't see what the fuss was about
Korpiklanni - 7 Set started a bit slowly but by the end it was brilliant
Napalm death - 10 Brilliant, first time I had seen them but really enjoyed them
Opeth - 6 Okay but nothing special
Within temptation - 8 very good at what they do

Sun:
Agalloch - 6
Orange goblin - 8 damn good set
Pro-pain - 6
Sepultura - 5 did nothing for me at all, still feel they need 2 guitarists
Cannibal Corpse - 9 Very good and lots of pit action
Lawnmower deth - 8. good as usual
Black label - 2. really disappointing, like one big long guitar solo
Rob Zombie - 8 some strange set choices but good fun, wasn't long enough though
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!