"Find of the Festival" / New, Exciting Discoveries

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
thespis_mellie
Definitely Not Nu

"Find of the Festival" / New, Exciting Discoveries

Postby thespis_mellie » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:27 pm

One of the things I love about BOA is finding new bands that I've never heard of / never seen who give stellar performances.

One band that I'd never even heard of before but were fantastic was Messiah's Kiss. So much energy, so much melody, and tonnes of fun to listen to.

One band that I'd heard a lot about but had never seen was Martyr de Mona and they were BRILL. Absolutely loved them.

So, what about you guys? Who were your "finds of the festival"? Who did you see for the first time who blew you away?
Symphonic metal, joint-fronted by 'sopranos with balls' - http://www.aoniaband.co.uk

beenabadbunny
Definitely Not Nu

Re: "Find of the Festival" / New, Exciting Discoveries

Postby beenabadbunny » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:33 pm

Saille.

Never heard of them before, checked them out solely on the basis of the synopsis in the programme and I thought they were excellent. Hopefully they will go on to do good things, it would be nice to see them on the main stage in future.

Slev
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Slev » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:57 pm

Several for me:
Sumer
The Mighty Wraith
Wretched Toad
Diatasarron
The Parallax Method
Blind Haze

The top three of those went down very well with the audience too. I'd hope to see some of them on the Sophie stage in the next year or two.

beenabadbunny
Definitely Not Nu

Postby beenabadbunny » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:02 pm

+1 for Wretched Toad and Blind Haze, they were both excellent. They didn't qualify as 'finds of the festival' for me though as I know WT's drummer and BH's bassist, so I was always going to go and see them. Same goes for King Leviathan and Divine Solace as I have gigged with both bands before.

thespis_mellie
Definitely Not Nu

Postby thespis_mellie » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:09 pm

I keep hearing good things about Wretched Toad but missed them, despite having them on my list of bands to see. Am going to have to catch them at a gig!
Symphonic metal, joint-fronted by 'sopranos with balls' - http://www.aoniaband.co.uk

Slev
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Slev » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:13 pm

thespis_mellie wrote:I keep hearing good things about Wretched Toad but missed them, despite having them on my list of bands to see. Am going to have to catch them at a gig!

They're currently giving their album away on Bandcamp! There wasn't even a mechanism for me to give them money for it!

thespis_mellie
Definitely Not Nu

Postby thespis_mellie » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:28 pm

Ooh! *Scurries over to BandCamp*

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:32 pm

thespis_mellie wrote:One band that I'd never even heard of before but were fantastic was Messiah's Kiss. So much energy, so much melody, and tonnes of fun to listen to.

They mentioned on stage that this was their second time in the UK. I was at their first as well, which was way back in 2002 supporting Doro in London. I'd never heard of them before that show, but came away very impressed and bought a CD and T-shirt on the night. I was pleased to see they were still just as good 13 years later.

There were no massive new finds for me this year, but a few bands I discovered that I enjoyed:

• Martyr De Mona
  • The Mighty Wraith
  • Diatessaron
  • Hell's Gazelles
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:34 pm

For me the find of the festival had to be Godflesh. I'd never liked them before. but I went along to see them just because I was bored, and absolutely loved them.

Other than that, Sumer, Divine Solace, Hanowar, Messiah's Kiss and Hell Puppets were great, all of who I'd only heard of when they were announced. I'd have loved to have checked out a few more smaller bands, but bad clashes meant I couldn't.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

beenabadbunny
Definitely Not Nu

Postby beenabadbunny » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:37 pm

Skippy wrote:For me the find of the festival had to be Godflesh. I'd never liked them before. but I went along to see them just because I was bored, and absolutely loved them.

Other than that, Sumer, Divine Solace, Hanowar, Messiah's Kiss and Hell Puppets were great, all of who I'd only heard of when they were announced. I'd have loved to have checked out a few more smaller bands, but bad clashes meant I couldn't.

Can someone please explain Hanowar to me? Genuine question, I feel like there must be a joke that I'm not in on.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:54 pm

Find of the Festival on the understanding I went in to see them just because I needed to sit down in the shade for a bit was probably Ethereal. Everyone else I'd given a listen to beforehand that I saw, but Ethereal just came outta nowhere with some really fun black metal.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:39 pm

beenabadbunny wrote:Can someone please explain Hanowar to me? Genuine question, I feel like there must be a joke that I'm not in on.

They're a shit band that don't take themselves remotely seriously that ended up putting on a fantastic show due to the strength of the material and the crowd singing along. That's pretty much all there is to say, really.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

beenabadbunny
Definitely Not Nu

Postby beenabadbunny » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:52 pm

Tet wrote:
beenabadbunny wrote:Can someone please explain Hanowar to me? Genuine question, I feel like there must be a joke that I'm not in on.

They're a shit band that don't take themselves remotely seriously that ended up putting on a fantastic show due to the strength of the material and the crowd singing along. That's pretty much all there is to say, really.

Right, cheers. I checked out some videos on YouTube beforehand and it seemed like they were a somewhat competent band fronted by a really terrible singer (sorry if the band are reading this but I'm just calling it like I see it - and again I suspect that's part of the 'joke'?)

Caught a little bit of their set in passing on the Jäger stage and what I saw was a somewhat competent band with an inaudible singer because a hundred people were singing along at the tops of their voices.

Even though the Jäger stage is the smallest of the festival's stages I guess I'm not sure why they had top billing. "It's not a real stage" isn't a valid reason to me, certainly in the last couple of years (since they made it a full electric stage with that little green drum kit) I've seen a lot of really excellent bands on there.

asmodaii
Definitely Not Nu

Postby asmodaii » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:09 pm

Definitely Trepalium for me, amazing groovy New Orleans jazz metal (that's what I thought it sounded like at least!)
Drummer of Sellsword, Seriously Unserious Power/Heavy Metal from York!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:12 pm

Tet wrote:
thespis_mellie wrote:One band that I'd never even heard of before but were fantastic was Messiah's Kiss. So much energy, so much melody, and tonnes of fun to listen to.

They mentioned on stage that this was their second time in the UK. I was at their first as well, which was way back in 2002 supporting Doro in London. I'd never heard of them before that show, but came away very impressed and bought a CD and T-shirt on the night. I was pleased to see they were still just as good 13 years later.

Saw them at Bradford Rios on that tour.

No really discoveries for me this year as most bands I saw were very familiar. Although I was quite impressed with Alunah as a band that has potential.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp