VIP 2015 Experiences ?

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
DOUGAL
Powermetal Child

VIP 2015 Experiences ?

Postby DOUGAL » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:21 pm

I love Bloodstock VIP so pls take my points as 'constructive criticsm' as I am keen to ensure that the VIP experience is even better. What was others' experience ?

Limited beer choice @ the VIP bar – @ 1 point only 3 cask ales were available; I get the impression that some of the casks were never tapped. Many of the beers I fancied were never available. Castle Rock Screech Owl has been on the list for 5 years, but I have yet to see this (& others) on sale.
VIP bar sale – driving home Mon, yet given the above late on Sun, the manager decided to get around to tapping more casks resulting in a 50% discount sale, this pissed me off as I couldn’t drink any more !
VIP Camping – less space, more campers = overcrowding; my neighbours tents were pitched over my guy rope pegs. Whilst I realise that disabled camping needs much more space, it looked more than 50% empty – large unused spaces.
VIP Toilets – better maintained but bearing in mind the increase in campers, nowhere near enough WCs for males or females – I gave up waiting & ended up using the main arena ones each day.
VIP DJs – still the case that the egotistical gobshites turn their mike up 100X the music level – Sat 12:00 could be heard near the main stage – painful earsplitting annoyance, I stayed out of there once I got my beer.

Nevertheless I had a great time - thanks Bloodstock :D
Last edited by DOUGAL on Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Re: VIP 2015 Experiences ?

Postby NeglectedField » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:33 pm

My wee booklet of the ales/ciders was more or less useless. Other than that, I was still able to try something new each time, even though I had to crane my neck to see what ales didn't have the 'x' scrawled on it to say it wasn't available yet (for some reason).

Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bearstock » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:15 pm

I think you're being pretty critical to be honest.

DOUGAL wrote:Limited beer choice @ the VIP bar – @ 1 point only 3 cask ales were available; I get the impression that some of the casks were never tapped. Many of the beers I fancied were never available. Castle Rock Screech Owl has been on the list for 5 years, but I have yet to see this (& others) on sale.

With the heavy consumption going on it was natural they'd run out of things at various points. Indeed numerous times what I asked for had run out and at one point ordering two pints of Bee Sting we managed 1 and 3 quarters before it ran out.

It was highly popular though and the bar staff were pretty helpful in recommending other drinks we may like and in changing up the drinks when needed.

Having said that, my friend was awaiting the Moonshine one all festival to no avail seemingly?

VIP bar sale – driving home Mon, yet given the above late on Sun, the manager decided to get around to tapping more casks resulting in a 50% discount sale, this pissed me off as I couldn’t drink any more !

Given the speed the barrels were going they couldn't very well discount them any earlier without running out by the last night. This is surely more a personal girevance rather than anything the festival should change.

VIP Camping – less space, more campers = overcrowding; my neighbours tents were pitched over my guy rope pegs. Whilst I realise that disabled camping needs much more space, it looked more than 50% empty – large unused spaces.

Dunno where abouts you camped or what time you or "your neighbours" arrived but there was a fair bit of room we could see from where we were pitched and they extended the VIP area into the car park late on the Thursday which whilst heavily used was never filled.

VIP Toilets – better maintained but bearing in mind the increase in campers, nowhere near enough WCs for males or females – I gave up waiting & ended up using the main arena ones each day.

What time were you trying to use them? I only ever really saw lengthy ques in the mornings and the longest the women in our group had to wait was about 10 minutes but that was due to catching the guys cleaning out one of the blocks.

VIP DJs – still the case that the egotistical gobshites turn their mike up 100X the music level – Sat 12:00 could be heard near the main stage – painful earsplitting annoyance, I stayed out of there once I got my beer.

I actually found the volume during the day to be pretty reasonable and not all that clear when sitting outside of the tent having conversation.

Absoutely loved the club at night. Such a step up from the dire one in the Sophie tent. Sure it was loud but what do you expect for a club at a metal festival?

Couldn't be heard halfway down the campsite so I don't think it was an unreasonable level.

Excellent. I had a fantastic time myself as well and all of us are definitely sold on VIP.
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

fluffkitten
Leather Rebel

Postby fluffkitten » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:32 pm

Campsite was a load more crowded than I expected. There were loads of large tents but then there were loads of people who've gotten to the age where crawling into a small tent is not on so they were putting up tents they could walk into and that takes space. Not rocket science, but even so it did feel like VIP had been oversold. Too bad if you if you are a single person wanting a pre-pitched tent or frighteningly priced podthing since you can only buy for two or more.

Loved the coffee stall in the back of the splittie van, perfectly placed for 1st thing in the morning and good coffee. The food stall was all right but nothing special.

No idea of the booze as I can't drink (but still wish I could) but maybe a non-alcoholic ale would be good

Never had to wait for the women's loos in the campsite though I noticed there were queues to the guys loos.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:11 pm

I think this year was the best VIP experience I've had (out of four years). Lengthy queue at the box office turned out to be very quick and painless to get through. Car park remains a pleasant surprise - 'It's so CLOSE!'

Never queued for toilets once. Queued for 2 minutes max for a shower. Toilets always beautifully clean and stocked with paper, handwash, sink water (seriously I remember the water running out in previous years), paper towels...

Security wonderful as always, and got 2/3 decent sleeps (Thursday was my own doing..). Campsite was quiet from 1am onwards, everyone was friendly as hell.

VIP bar didn't always cater for my first preference of beer, but in such small quantities I can understand it, and didn't mind picking something else.

I never looked in on the entertainment, so I can't comment. Even if it was utter bollocks, you can't win them all.

All in all, VIP continues to be absolutely worth the money.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

DOUGAL
Powermetal Child

Postby DOUGAL » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:44 pm

Bearstock wrote:I think you're being pretty critical to be honest.
Dunno where abouts you camped or what time you or "your neighbours" arrived but there was a fair bit of room we could see from where we were pitched and they extended the VIP area into the car park late on the Thursday which whilst heavily used was never filled.
I arrived ~ 12:00 & pitched near the fence with Asgard, later was when I found tents overlapping mine on both sides, before the decision was made to expand into the parking area. The VIP campsite was the most crowded I can remember in 5 years; it looked less crowded in Asgard the other side of the fence to where I was camped. I have just a 2 person tent but I don't think there were more monster ones than usual, the VIP campsite needed to be larger to accomodate the increase in numbers that's all. Key is the nearby parking so it is of course a compromise.

Bearstock wrote:I actually found the volume during the day to be pretty reasonable and not all that clear when sitting outside of the tent having conversation.

Absoutely loved the club at night. Such a step up from the dire one in the Sophie tent. Sure it was loud but what do you expect for a club at a metal festival?
I am just talking about the DJs, not the music, mainly when you were inside the bar itself. I agree that the bar staff were great.

VIP is worth the extra cost for the Serpents Lair & the nearby parking; I remember that when that was restricted a couple of years ago there was hell on !
Last edited by DOUGAL on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:51 pm

There was mead.

10/10.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:14 pm

Done VIP twice (this year & last year) and thought this year was better. Cramped for space and when I saw people refused entry I was rather disgusted but glad to hear they extended the space to fit people in. Thought toilets were much improved & queues were smaller (just need another block and should be no queueing). Agree with there being less beers avaible throughout the weekend then last year, often only had a handful to choose from. My only major gripe was that I was refused the good bag of stuff because I had VIP upgrade tickets + standard tickets rather than full VIP tickets, bastard.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

fluffkitten
Leather Rebel

Postby fluffkitten » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:31 pm

i0th wrote: My only major gripe was that I was refused the good bag of stuff because I had VIP upgrade tickets + standard tickets rather than full VIP tickets, bastard.

2nd class VIP? I had the upgrade and had no hassle getting the goody bag so someone was taking the piss.

In general I found the people in the box office really good.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

ocean_of_ypres
Warrior of Metal

Postby ocean_of_ypres » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:04 pm

Re: disabled camping. On Thursday it was about half full, but people came on Friday, and there were the odd group on saturday too. It annoyed me that it wasn't full, because a friend wanted a spot in there but left it too late to apply.

Would like to try vip though. Didn't look too shabby, though I think some of the amenities and food stalls should be shared with disabled. Personal opinion from looking over from the other side of the fence
I went a way for some time, but I guess I should come back and annoy people due to attending this year

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:30 pm

8th year of VIP here, and this was easily the best one so far. I wasn't fussed about the goody bag, but the t-shirt this year was far, far better than it has been (no obvious VIP thing on it), slightly more people but not an issue here. Toilets were fantastic - always staffed, clean, loo paper and making one of the ladies a gents first thing while we were having our morning dump was really helpful. Love having soap, hand water and towels always available. Lovely people around and quiet at night.
Didn't look at the food in the area, not really my stuff. Bar was lovely, if a little slow. I didn't really spend much time looking at the entertainments either.
Overall, still well worth the money. Everything was pretty spot on this year.

Alan Shepherd
BOA Landlord

Postby Alan Shepherd » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:59 pm

DOUGAL wrote:I love Bloodstock VIP so pls take my points as 'constructive criticsm' as I am keen to ensure that the VIP experience is even better. What was others' experience ?

Limited beer choice @ the VIP bar – @ 1 point only 3 cask ales were available; I get the impression that some of the casks were never tapped. Many of the beers I fancied were never available. Castle Rock Screech Owl has been on the list for 5 years, but I have yet to see this (& others) on sale.

Just some feedback re the Ales in VIP guys, not sure if there was only 3 at one time but will check with my manager. The challenge with real ale is that if it is not ready then we don't serve it, we regularly test for clarity and taste to ensure quality is perfect, the beers for the initial rack are done on tuesday morning(two days to settle) which is around 70 ales, usually by thursday night we sell out of a few favourites (Screech Owl probably) then rack something in its place. Never an easy job to forecast what you guys will drink !!!!! Anyway thanks for the feedback will make sure I order more Screech Owl for next year.
Re the sell off on sunday night, again diffcult to forecast what you guys will drink and we cant take it home so will have an end of fest sale to move on.
Hope that explains, thanks for all your support over the years in VIP
Cheers
Alan Shep

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:58 am

Fjar wrote:I think this year was the best VIP experience I've had (out of four years). Lengthy queue at the box office turned out to be very quick and painless to get through. Car park remains a pleasant surprise - 'It's so CLOSE!'

Never queued for toilets once. Queued for 2 minutes max for a shower. Toilets always beautifully clean and stocked with paper, handwash, sink water (seriously I remember the water running out in previous years), paper towels...

I was Rocksoc rather than full VIP so I didn't see the VIP campsite, but I think you were likely to have benefitted significantly from your gender in terms of the toilets, as I noticed last year when I was full VIP camping.

This year I was a bit miffed at the lack of real toilets in the VIP area for guys as well, seemed a bit cheeky to give the girls proper ones but not the guys (although apparently it was the same in the "Crew" area so maybe there was some sort of shortage this year or something.

In terms of beers, was great to try a bunch and I'll echo what others have said about it not being possible to have all of them on all the time, however I went every day and not once was the "Choc Orange Stout" available, which was quite a shame for me as I really wanted to try that.
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:56 pm

The campsite toilets were great. They even turned one of the girls in to a blokes first thing to reduce the queues for the morning dump.

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:10 pm

Danroush wrote:
Fjar wrote:I think this year was the best VIP experience I've had (out of four years). Lengthy queue at the box office turned out to be very quick and painless to get through. Car park remains a pleasant surprise - 'It's so CLOSE!'

I was Rocksoc rather than full VIP so I didn't see the VIP campsite, but I think you were likely to have benefitted significantly from your gender in terms of the toilets, as I noticed last year when I was full VIP camping.

This year I was a bit miffed at the lack of real toilets in the VIP area for guys as well, seemed a bit cheeky to give the girls proper ones but not the guys (although apparently it was the same in the "Crew" area so maybe there was some sort of shortage this year or something.

In terms of beers, was great to try a bunch and I'll echo what others have said about it not being possible to have all of them on all the time, however I went every day and not once was the "Choc Orange Stout" available, which was quite a shame for me as I really wanted to try that.

Can't even blame me for the shortage of it this year as I wasn't there. It has been a favourite of mine in previous years though.