Next Announcement Thread

August 11-14, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Re: Next Announcement Thread

Postby metalicbear » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:30 pm

Yeah I'm really looking forwards to Stuck Mojo; apart from them and Twisted Sister, the Friday is pretty pants.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:01 pm

Misery Loves Co are a poor man's Fear Factory, as I predicted.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:37 pm

TMc wrote:
Soze wrote:Misery Loves Company were one of those shitty mid 90s bands that no-one really liked much at the time, let alone now. Same as Stuck Mojo. Seems as if someone on the BOA booking team is looking for cheap bands to book so they can re-live their youth.

A lot of people liked them at the time, just not you. Same as Stuck Mojo. The BOA team have done a great job on the lineup this year.

Nah. Even back in the day they couldn't pull a crowd.

They were the perennial support band that Kerrang hyped up. Saw them play an empty K2 back in the day. For those that can't remember that venue, that was the tiny venue next door to the Krazyhouse (that used to be where Knightriders/Freewheelers biker bar was) that they used for bands for a while. Probably held about a hundred if pushed.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:00 pm

Notice how this pitiful announcement doesn't even merit it's own thread. :lol:

Used to love Diamond Head, but the last few times I've seen them they've been pretty awful.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:49 pm

Apart from Diamond Head I had never listened to any of the other bands before so after a quick youtubing

Cambion= Alright at a push, would probably just spend the morning in the campsite if nothing else on the other two stages.
Diamond Head= Were pretty good at Sonisphere the other year, a band I'd watch at a festival but not that excited over them
Krysthala= Don't like, your average downtuned chug guitars with screams over the top.
Misery Loves Co.= Not bad, will probably go and see them, not the most exciting band but still pretty good.

So 2 ok bands, 1 meh and 1 terrible, quite a comedown really.

Echo the sentiments about Diamond Head being on after TS and Misery... being on the mainstage.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:43 pm

I've got to say that the announcements started off strongly but are definitely underwhelming now.

To be fair, the recent announcements contain bands I am happy with (COC, Diamond Head) but the rest are filler. I had really hoped for either Kreator, Metal Church or Sacred Reich this year but have given up.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

phuqsticks
Consort of the Beast

Postby phuqsticks » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:00 pm

CharlesDexterWard wrote:I've got to say that the announcements started off strongly but are definitely underwhelming now.

To be fair, the recent announcements contain bands I am happy with (COC, Diamond Head) but the rest are filler. I had really hoped for either Kreator, Metal Church or Sacred Reich this year but have given up.

I wouldn't give up on Metal Church just yet. Their new album is due out this Friday and they have already been announced for the Alcatraz Festival in Belgium on Bloodstock weekend.

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:47 pm

Very poor announcement from my perspective. Diamond Head were good when I saw them on the early 80s, but have not been spectacular on the occasions that I have see them since then. The rest..... Filler at best.
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:19 am

Very happy with Diamond Head! Nice to have more trad metal! Misery Loves Company sounds interesting, are they industrial or industrial metal? I love both so I'll check them out, nice to see Bloodstock giving industrial a chance! Never actually heard of them though but could be great!
Not heard of the other 2 but if it's shouty beard metal or prog I'll give it a miss.
Are people on here hating on Misery Loves Company because they are industrial and a bit leftfield or because they are not a good example of the genre?
I would love to see Frontline Assembly at BOA, some of their tracks are quite metal so it could work?
I really hope for some death metal or grindcore next and then I'll be set!
Last edited by Warlock on Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:21 am

CharlesDexterWard wrote:I've got to say that the announcements started off strongly but are definitely underwhelming now.

I'd love any of those 3 to be announced, great set of bands! But alas unlikely

phuqsticks wrote:

I wouldn't give up on Metal Church just yet. Their new album is due out this Friday and they have already been announced for the Alcatraz Festival in Belgium on Bloodstock weekend.

I hope your right!

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:20 am

Warlock wrote:Misery Loves Company sounds interesting, are they industrial or industrial metal?

Industrial metal, elements of Fear Factory and NIN, but nowhere near as good as either.

Warlock wrote:Are people on here hating on Misery Loves Company because they are industrial and a bit leftfield or because they are not a good example of the genre?

Nothing to do with the genre, I like plenty of industrial metal, I'm not happy about Misery Loves Co. being booked simply because they're crap. That, and as stated they were never even that big 20 years ago, and there was no real interest from festival goers in having them. A few years ago BOA booked Earthtone 9 for the main stage, and it's a similar case - a reformed band from ages ago that no one cared about or wanted, they got a small crowd and were largely ignored.

The bookers seem to have some weird desire to dig up olds fossils from 20 years ago that were never that big at the time, no one cared about and no one is bothered about seeing now and plonking them on the main stage. We've already got Stuck Mojo and Misery Loves Co., no doubt Clawfinger will follow soon....

Bizza
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Bizza » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:54 am

More dross, a geriatric thrash band and another shit band from 20 years ago to go along with. Stuck Mojo. More beer tent time I guess.
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:42 am

Diamond Head - Thought people would love this one. But I guess not.
Misery Loves Co - Who :?
Cambion - Mainstage? Really?
Krysthla - Who :?

florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Postby florencethemachine » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:49 am

Bit of a Barrel-scraper IMO. Misery Loves Co is a name I know from years ago but I have only just checked them out, definitely not my bag. Same with Cambion, just a vaguely familiar name, music is passable.

Diamond Head were a band my Dad liked but I wont miss Twisted Sister for them. It's a bit strange how you have a Hard Rock/NWOBHM clash one night and a Thrash/Blackened Thrash clash the other night.

Seems like a lot of the budget was blown early on as previous years have had an even balance of well known band across the RJD and Sophie stages. We even had fucking Agalloch and Nuclear Assault open the RJD last year! (I know Nuclear Assault was due to time constraints but my point stands).

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:20 am

Don't know the other three, but would've been down for Diamond Head if it wasn't for the Twisted Sister clash.