Next Announcement Thread

August 11-14, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Next Announcement Thread

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:14 pm

Based on last year, they'll only cross over for the last 15 minutes of Twisted Sister.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:28 pm

Blake_Porter wrote:Diamond Head - Thought people would love this one. But I guess not.

Have you seen them before?

Regardless of their legacy, they're invariably rubbish live, a bunch of old knackers trying to flog the last wheezings out of a long dead horse.

As I've said before, watching Diamond Head live is the equivalent of watching your dying grandad on his death bed.

cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby cthulhu » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:30 pm

Cambion are from Exeter so they run in similar circles to me (the south west metal scene is very small) they've got a great manager and they're all technically very proficient musicians, I'll go watch them to show my support for a local act but their brand of metal really isn't my cup of tea. Happy for 'em all the same, they've worked hard to get to this point and they're cool guys.

Maybe some of you guys will appreciate it a bit more than I do on a taste level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpeerilbWqU

The rest of this announcement for me largely amounts to a decision of whether it's worth standing around for an hour to hear the version of Am I Evil that I enjoy least or to go back to the tent and see if any of my camp mates made the same choice.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:49 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
Blake_Porter wrote:Diamond Head - Thought people would love this one. But I guess not.

Regardless of their legacy, they're invariably rubbish live

I don't think that's strictly true, and I've seen some decent performances from them. That said, the last time I saw them they had the misfortune to hit the stage immediate after an inspired Uli Jon Roth performance who made them look very, very average. The rest of the crowd appeared to agree with me and they were left playing to a very sparse audience.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

bloodblind
Consort of the Beast

Postby bloodblind » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:13 pm

Line up really needs to strengthen up again Bloodstock after what was a tremendous start to the announcements early on, it's looking a bit grim now. The only announcement I've been keen on recently is CoC, all the other ones that got me excited were the first few before December. The main stage was looking strong indeed, but different story now

Here's the list of stuff I don't think many are bothered to see so far. And this is just the mainstage! I've gone from thinking this is going to be the best line up so far early on to complete apathy over whether I actually bother to go now.

Stuck Mojo
Misery Loves Co.
Dragonforce (the worst power metal band they could choose! and there are a lot of great ones to choose from!!)
Metal Allegience
Unearth
Evil Scarecrow (really, again? you've seen them once then thats the joke played out, a good joke though all the same)
Canbion (meh, all for supporting the new blood but I don't think they will go far, the Meshuggahish vibe is on it's way out now, too overdone)
Ghostbath (just shit! seriously?)

Only booking I'm excited about on the Sophie so far is Acid Reign. Phil Cambells all-star band might be good and Diamond Head if they can pull it off.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:04 am

Tet wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:

Regardless of their legacy, they're invariably rubbish live

I don't think that's strictly true, and I've seen some decent performances from them. That said, the last time I saw them they had the misfortune to hit the stage immediate after an inspired Uli Jon Roth performance who made them look very, very average. The rest of the crowd appeared to agree with me and they were left playing to a very sparse audience.

Same in Liverpool.

It seemed the ones who were watching them were the types whose father was into Metallica in the 1980s. :lol:

But the rest had moved over to the bar area where you can still hear the bands with out being bothered. Or had sodded off elsewhere.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:53 am

bloodblind wrote:Line up really needs to strengthen up again Bloodstock after what was a tremendous start to the announcements early on, it's looking a bit grim now. The only announcement I've been keen on recently is CoC, all the other ones that got me excited were the first few before December. The main stage was looking strong indeed, but different story now

Here's the list of stuff I don't think many are bothered to see so far. And this is just the mainstage! I've gone from thinking this is going to be the best line up so far early on to complete apathy over whether I actually bother to go now.

Stuck Mojo
Misery Loves Co.
Dragonforce (the worst power metal band they could choose! and there are a lot of great ones to choose from!!)
Metal Allegience
Unearth
Evil Scarecrow (really, again? you've seen them once then thats the joke played out, a good joke though all the same)
Canbion (meh, all for supporting the new blood but I don't think they will go far, the Meshuggahish vibe is on it's way out now, too overdone)

Only booking I'm excited about on the Sophie so far is Acid Reign. Phil Cambells all-star band might be good and Diamond Head if they can pull it off.

I completely agree, looking at that list I can't believe they're all mainstage bands, bloody awful! don't like any of those, and not even good bands of their respective genre's. And to think we had some real gems last year like Nuclear Assault, Death, Armoured Saint, Overkill, Godflesh etc etc Venom and Fear Factory better be good this year!

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:11 am

bloodfiend wrote:Nothing to do with the genre, I like plenty of industrial metal, I'm not happy about Misery Loves Co. being booked simply because they're crap. That, and as stated they were never even that big 20 years ago, and there was no real interest from festival goers in having them. A few years ago BOA booked Earthtone 9 for the main stage, and it's a similar case - a reformed band from ages ago that no one cared about or wanted, they got a small crowd and were largely ignored.

The bookers seem to have some weird desire to dig up olds fossils from 20 years ago that were never that big at the time, no one cared about and no one is bothered about seeing now and plonking them on the main stage. We've already got Stuck Mojo and Misery Loves Co., no doubt Clawfinger will follow soon....

Ok I get you, I love all kinds of industrial but I've never heard or listened to them!
Yeah its weird, don't know why they're doing that, presumably they just like them, but they should be focusing more on what the fans want, classics and whats relevant! Not forgotten bands that don't really even fit the festival!

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:38 am

bloodfiend wrote:
Regardless of their legacy, they're invariably rubbish live, a bunch of old knackers trying to flog the last wheezings out of a long dead horse.

As I've said before, watching Diamond Head live is the equivalent of watching your dying grandad on his death bed.

Why are you berating a band that is playing in the tent, when we have dross on the main stage like Venom who were never good at any stage in their career. As for live shows, they're fucking terrible, at least Diamond Head have songs people actually recognise and aren't living off the legacy of 1 song and supposedly being the founders of black metal.

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:40 am

Warlock wrote: they should be focusing more on what the fans want, classics and whats relevant! Not forgotten bands that don't really even fit the festival!

If they catered to what a few individuals want on here, then the festival would go under in a couple of years.

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:45 am

bloodblind wrote:
Here's the list of stuff I don't think many are bothered to see so far. And this is just the mainstage!

Stuck Mojo
Misery Loves Co.
Dragonforce (the worst power metal band they could choose! and here are a lot of great ones to choose from!!)
Metal Allegience
Unearth

Personally I'm looking forward to Metal Alliegiance and Dragonforce, will watch Unearth, Stuck Mojo and possibly Misery Loves Co. might catch Evil Scarecrow, but only because I haven't seen them before.

Ghostbath sound boring as hell. Cambion are shit and neither band should be anywhere near the main stage.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:50 am

bloodblind wrote:]

Stuck Mojo
Misery Loves Co.
Metal Allegience
Unearth

hmmmm....I think these are quite different in terms of appeal really:

Stuck Mojo - band that were utter shit 20 years ago and no one was bothered with then, no one wanted them, what the hell are they doing here?
Misery Loves Co. - bit of deja vu here...band that were utter shit 20 years ago and no one was bothered with then, no one wanted them, what the hell are they doing here?
Dragonforce - regardless of personal taste, they are still one of the bigger power metal bands and have big pulling power. BOA seemed to have a vendetta against them and refused to book them, so it's good that they're over this, because they're a more inspired power metal choice than a band like Freedom Call imo.
Metal Allegiance - the very definition of barrel scraping; a bunch of old knackers playing generic covers on the main fucking stage?! This is a metal festival, not covers night at The Nag's Head!!!
Unearth - more generic knuckle-dragging metalcore, I guess we have to conceed now that the bookers always book at least one of these abominations. Just glad it's down the bottom of the line up.
Evil Scarecrow - well they're certainly get a big crowd, and plenty will be looking forward to them, even if they couldn't write a good song if their lives depended on it.
Cambion - listened to them and hated them, they don't seem to have an album released yet, waste of a main stage slot and should be on the Sophie.
Ghost Bath - love them, but probably the wrong festival for them, and somewhere like Damnation or Temples would be far more fitting.

I agree the announements have gone massively down hill, after a very strong start with Twisted Sister, Behemoth, Satyricon playing Nemesis Divina, etc, it's all gone rather poo, and I suspect it's not going to get much better with the remaining main stage slots no doubt being just filler bands down the bottom.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:05 am

metalicbear wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:

Why are you berating a band that is playing in the tent, when we have dross on the main stage like Venom who were never good at any stage in their career. As for live shows, they're fucking terrible, at least Diamond Head have songs people actually recognise and aren't living off the legacy of 1 song and supposedly being the founders of black metal.

Not living off the legacy of one song?! Diamond Head have lived off Am I Evil for like....forever!! Yes I know they have other songs, but that's the only one people want to see, and they've only done one half decent album which they've lived off for the last 36 years to make up for the other dross they've put out since.

I'm berating Diamond Head because they're a knackered wheezing corpse of a band who have long since flogged their "legacy" to death with dreadful live performances, and because it's a lame and lazy booking for BOA to get these fossilised old has-beens to headline the Sophie.

Oh and I'm not going to defend Venom, I didn't want them to be booked in the first place, absolute rubbish on record and even worse live...and that's before we get on to the fact that this is only a third of the proper line up. And I hate it when people call them black metal, they are not and never have been black metal, just sloppy thrash meets Motorhead style rock n roll.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:35 am

bloodblind wrote:Here's the list of stuff I don't think many are bothered to see so far.

Stuck Mojo
Misery Loves Co.
Metal Allegience
Unearth

Many? What exactly are you basing that on? There's plenty more people who actually go to Bloodstock than just post on these forums. As has been mentioned before, if the festival catered purely to the tastes of the most vocal members of this forum, it would cease to exist pretty damn quick.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:47 pm

bloodfiend wrote:Dragonforce - regardless of personal taste, they are still one of the bigger power metal bands and have big pulling power.

The thing you haven't to remember is that Dragonforce tend to be considered power metal largely because there's no other genre that suits them better. But they don't really sound like any other power metal band, and tend to be a divisive band among power metal fans. I'm one of those that happen to like them. But I'd be the first to admit that in terms of placating power metal fans, they're a poor choice, and I'll be very disappointed if they treat Dragonforce as their token power metal band and don't see a need to book any more. I said I was worried that might happen when they were first announced, and so far it looks like that might turn out to be true :-(
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...