Next Announcement Thread

August 11-14, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Re: Next Announcement Thread

Postby bloodfiend » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:48 am

Soze wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:Venom called themselves black metal, were quite a big band around 81-85 and most of the bands from the early Norwegian scene were influenced by them. They may not sound very much like Darkthrone, Emperor et al, but they were still the first black metal band. Others moulded it, as further bands have done since. Black metal is a very malleable genre.

Regardless of what they called themselves, they were not black metal. They may have invented the term but they did not invent the music. Bathory invented black metal as we know it, yes Venom may have been an influence for Bathory, but then so were Hell hammer, Mercyful Fate and Celtic Frost. Listen to The Return or Under The Sign Of The Black Mark by Bathory, and they're a massive step forward from Venom's sound, those albums are black metal, Venom are not.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:22 am

bloodfiend wrote:Regardless of what they called themselves, they were not black metal. They may have invented the term but they did not invent the music. Bathory invented black metal as we know it, yes Venom may have been an influence for Bathory, but then so were Hell hammer, Mercyful Fate and Celtic Frost. Listen to The Return or Under The Sign Of The Black Mark by Bathory, and they're a massive step forward from Venom's sound, those albums are black metal, Venom are not.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this. For me, that's like saying Black Sabbath weren't one of the originators of heavy metal because they don't sound like Iron Maiden. A genre evolves. Venom were the first, the likes of Bathory and Hellhammer took up the baton and moved it along. Bathory don't sound anything like Deathspell Omega but both of those are labelled black metal.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:45 am

The term Black Metal was well in use before Bathory had an album out. Usually to describe ANY band that had satanic themes rather than a musical style. Ironically enough Bathory were usually classed as a Thrash Metal band by most of the media at the time, then again so was Helloween. :lol:

Also don't forget Kerrang! had an article about White Metal long before then as well. Obviously the term was used as an opposite to Black Metal. There was quite a big Christian scene back then, particularly in the US.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Davros
Denim Demon

Postby Davros » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:55 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:The term Black Metal was well in use before Bathory had an album out. Usually to describe ANY band that had satanic themes rather than a musical style. Ironically enough Bathory were usually classed as a Thrash Metal band by most of the media at the time, then again so was Helloween. :lol:

Also don't forget Kerrang! had an article about White Metal long before then as well. Obviously the term was used as an opposite to Black Metal. There was quite a big Christian scene back then, particularly in the US.

Oh god I remember that article! Did it have the by of its not just the devil with the good tunes. Or something.
False metal is an enemy of the Daleks! EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE!!!

phuqsticks
Consort of the Beast

Postby phuqsticks » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:13 pm

Is this still the next announcement thread? :o

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:28 pm

phuqsticks wrote:Is this still the next announcement thread? :o

New here aren't you? :P

If a thread stays on topic for the first page then it's a miracle. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:38 pm

Davros wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:The term Black Metal was well in use before Bathory had an album out. Usually to describe ANY band that had satanic themes rather than a musical style. Ironically enough Bathory were usually classed as a Thrash Metal band by most of the media at the time, then again so was Helloween. :lol:

Oh god I remember that article! Did it have the by of its not just the devil with the good tunes. Or something.

I can't remember. It heavily featured Trouble, Leviticus and Stryper. As well as pointing out all the Christian lyrics in other bands such as Black Sabbath.

Davros
Denim Demon

Postby Davros » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:18 pm

phuqsticks wrote:Is this still the next announcement thread? :o

:lol:

Davros
Denim Demon

Postby Davros » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:19 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Davros wrote:

I can't remember. It heavily featured Trouble, Leviticus and Stryper. As well as pointing out all the Christian lyrics in other bands such as Black Sabbath.

That's the one. Bit of a pointless article. Bit like Kerrang really! :lol:

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:51 am

Kings X and Stryper for BOA!
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:17 pm

CharlesDexterWard wrote:Kings X and Stryper for BOA!

After all this complaining about announcements since the new year do people think Stryper are the solution? Rather someone else like Coroner or Metal Church; King's X on the other hand, while not going to vastly improve the line up would still be a good addition.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:54 pm

I was definitely being tongue in cheek about Stryper but Kings X were good the last time I saw them. Let's just hope the next announcement makes most of us happy!
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:09 pm

Stryper are a far better and more suitable band than Kings X, who are more Alternative Rock.

If you ignore the imagery and lyrics* then they are a damn fine Heavy Metal band.

*Although plenty of other bands have Christian lyrics such as Trouble and Candlemass and nobody complains about them.

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:00 am

I'd be well up for a bit of Stryper.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Aerosol_Kid
Consort of the Beast

Postby Aerosol_Kid » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:58 am

keera_envenomed wrote:I'd be well up for a bit of Stryper.

Seconded.
skull-wart wrote:Yes! Thor! Clearly the best (and most muscular and handsome) man I've ever seen at everything! I would love to see him headline every day, on every stage. At every festival and gig in this country and all of the others too.