Next Announcement Thread

August 11-14, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Re: Next Announcement Thread

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:01 pm

hmmmm I guess, there's something of a stigma around them, and proper power metal fans tend to associate them with the "plastic scythe brigade" or nu metal kiddies that are suddenly into them cos Kerrang! has hyped them up as flavour of the month band.

I like them as well (well the stuff with ZP more than the last 2 albums), and would rather see them some of the power metal bands BOA traditionally books (Freedom Call, Sonata Arctica, etc), if they're the only power metal band though, it calls into question BOA's policy of booking bands like Cambion and Unearth at the bottom of the bill, where a smaller UK power metal would go down well, and also booking the likes of Stuck Mojo and Misery Loves Co., where a medium sized and inexpensive power metal band could easily replace them and be pretty much guaranteed to be well received.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:06 pm

metalicbear wrote:Why are you berating a band that is playing in the tent, when we have dross on the main stage like Venom who were never good at any stage in their career. As for live shows, they're fucking terrible, at least Diamond Head have songs people actually recognise and aren't living off the legacy of 1 song and supposedly being the founders of black metal.

Venom are one of my favourite bands of all time. Their first 3 albums, as well as the singles they released at that time, are absolutely fantastic. Sadly this isn't really Venom any more, just Cronos and his 2 mates...I've seen both this incarnation and Venom Inc. (the other 2 original members) and the latter were better. Legacy of one song? Countess Bathory, Seven Gates of Hell, Warhead, Manitou, Bloodlust, Witching Hour, Welcome to Hell, 100 Days in Sodom, In the Name of Satan...bloody brilliant!

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:09 pm

bloodfiend wrote:Oh and I'm not going to defend Venom, I didn't want them to be booked in the first place, absolute rubbish on record and even worse live...and that's before we get on to the fact that this is only a third of the proper line up. And I hate it when people call them black metal, they are not and never have been black metal, just sloppy thrash meets Motorhead style rock n roll.

Pffft. Venom invented the term black metal. If you're putting it that way they're the only true black metal band ever and those that followed just misinterpreted it!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:30 pm

Have to disagree a bit with previous posts

Ghost Bath= While they might fit in better at Damnation etc they still have a place at BOA, admittedly more so on the Sophie stage but not exactly miles away from Alcest or Agalloch who went down well.

Venom= Quite a few bands in the past have played BOA with only 1 or 2 "original" members and haven't been given as much stick so don't see why Venom should be made an exception. So long as they play Venom classics to a good standard then I don't really care.

Diamond Head= So long as most of the set list sticks to LTTN material who cares if they live off one album? I'm at BOA to enjoy the music not debate their whole discography (however if previous post are just alluding to debating the whole discography rather than why were they booked then my bad)

Unearth= admittedly a 2nd or 3rd tier band from the metalcore scene, however I've seen quite a few people excited for them after hearing they were announced and digging up their old cd's, I'll probably watch them as I used to like them a good few years ago.

Dragonforce= Lets face it, once people have had a few drinks or smokes then DF will sound like a good idea, I'd bet they will pull a good sized crowd on the day so as a booking idea I can see the logic.

I'll admit since new year the quality of announcements have dropped but I don't think it's been as bad as some have made out.

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:22 am

metalicbear wrote:
Warlock wrote: they should be focusing more on what the fans want, classics and whats relevant! Not forgotten bands that don't really even fit the festival!

If they catered to what a few individuals want on here, then the festival would go under in a couple of years.

I didn't say catering for a few individuals on the forum though!

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:45 am

I'm with houston here, I am disagreeing with quite alot. I really don't understand you people knocking Venom. Fair enough if they're not your thing, or would rather the original line up, but to bash their back catalogue and complain about them being booked is just disrespectful. They have many great songs, are a true classic and Icon within Metal, they inspired so many other bands and helped to create several sub genres. Yes it may only be Cronos from the original line-up but presumably the other guys can play the songs well and they are great songs, and ones that I am many others can't wait to see! any self respecting metal head will at least appreciate them and recognise that they are a great booking. Don't like them? Go watch something else! For shame people!
Also I can understand that Dragonforce and Unearth are not bad bookings for people into those genres, but like Tet said I don't think they're a great example of Power Metal and will be a shame if they end up being the token pm band. It's inevitable that we get some metalcore so it may as well be Unearth, it ticks a box for some people, its not my thing but I have no problem with the odd band like them.
Maybe Diamond Head are passed it, maybe not, but I look forward to them, they have some great songs and think they make a great Sophie headliner, again like with Venom I can't believe so many 'true' metal heads are unhappy about this, they are a classic!
Last edited by Warlock on Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:50 am

bloodofthekings wrote:
bloodblind wrote:Here's the list of stuff I don't think many are bothered to see so far.

Stuck Mojo
Misery Loves Co.
Dragonforce (the worst power metal band they could choose! and there are a lot of great ones to choose from!!)
Metal Allegience
Unearth
Evil Scarecrow (really, again? you've seen them once then thats the joke played out, a good joke though all the same)
Canbion (meh, all for supporting the new blood but I don't think they will go far, the Meshuggahish vibe is on it's way out now, too overdone)
Ghostbath (just shit! seriously?)

Many? What exactly are you basing that on? There's plenty more people who actually go to Bloodstock than just post on these forums. As has been mentioned before, if the festival catered purely to the tastes of the most vocal members of this forum, it would cease to exist pretty damn quick.

I'd say bloodblind's observations were pretty spot on, not only on this forum but for metal fans in general. How many people do you think really wanted some of these bands? You may be right about some like df and es being popular though

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:52 am

Soze wrote:Pffft. Venom invented the term black metal. If you're putting it that way they're the only true black metal band ever and those that followed just misinterpreted it!

Agreed!

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:07 am

Bands like Unearth and Dragonforce definitely will attract people though. Even Suck Mojo, I know one guy at least who is really excited for them playing (god knows why). There definitely is a crowd that is happy to see the same bands, every other year until eternity, and if Bloodstock can keep the same numbers with what seems like the minimum of effort, then I guess they can go for it. Personally, while the lineup isn't outright bad, it is very grey for my tastes, and when I look at all the other bands touring Europe around the same time I can't help but think they could have made a cracking lineup.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:03 am

For some reason the announcement went under the radar. Diamond Head I am happy with and again I have an alternative to Twisted Shitster. Don't go changing the bands around again BOA. The rest in my best scouse accent "who are they?"

florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Postby florencethemachine » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:44 am

I fully agree with those defending Venom.

The Sophie stage has been spectacular the last few years so I'm really hoping we get a great mix of bands like we have done in the past few years. 2013 & 2014 were particularly strong.

I watched a bit of Mastodon's Rock in Rio set and vocally, they have really got their shit together. Could end up being a decent headliner. Coupled with the fact I have a huge soft spot for Gojira I'm actually quite looking forward to Saturday.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:43 am

Soze wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:Oh and I'm not going to defend Venom, I didn't want them to be booked in the first place, absolute rubbish on record and even worse live...and that's before we get on to the fact that this is only a third of the proper line up. And I hate it when people call them black metal, they are not and never have been black metal, just sloppy thrash meets Motorhead style rock n roll.

Pffft. Venom invented the term black metal. If you're putting it that way they're the only true black metal band ever and those that followed just misinterpreted it!

They had an album called black metal before black metal was around, but that album was thrash meets rock n roll, not black metal. Just like Pantera had an album called Power Metal that wasn't actually power metal.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:13 pm

metalicbear wrote:
Warlock wrote: they should be focusing more on what the fans want, classics and whats relevant! Not forgotten bands that don't really even fit the festival!

If they catered to what a few individuals want on here, then the festival would go under in a couple of years.

Not really. The festival has stayed about the same size over the last five years or so, even though they started putting on more "popular"* bands. It's just that quite a few that have attended from the early days have moved on to other things. Most of the people that I originally went with aren't interested in going to BOA anymore.

*For want of a better phrase.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

bloodblind
Consort of the Beast

Postby bloodblind » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:30 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
Many? What exactly are you basing that on? There's plenty more people who actually go to Bloodstock than just post on these forums. As has been mentioned before, if the festival catered purely to the tastes of the most vocal members of this forum, it would cease to exist pretty damn quick

I think you'll find the bands I've mentioned wouldn't really appeal to many metalheads in general and certainly wouldn't be considered great addidtions to the mainstage, the truth will be clear when you see how few people are watching said bands with any enthusiasm, except maybe Misery Loves Co. and Dragonforce who will probably pull a decent crowd. !

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:01 am

bloodfiend wrote:They had an album called black metal before black metal was around, but that album was thrash meets rock n roll, not black metal. Just like Pantera had an album called Power Metal that wasn't actually power metal.

The phrase power metal was already about by the time Pantera made that album, they didn't invent it (and hardly anyone bought it anyway, it was very much under the radar). Venom called themselves black metal, were quite a big band around 81-85 and most of the bands from the early Norwegian scene were influenced by them. They may not sound very much like Darkthrone, Emperor et al, but they were still the first black metal band. Others moulded it, as further bands have done since. Black metal is a very malleable genre.