Next Announcement Thread

August 11-14, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Re: Next Announcement Thread

Postby VizardAmata » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:50 pm

Pleased with Pythia, the rest I've not heard of but will check them out.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:21 pm

Are we sure it's Pythia? They're not on the line-up page but some band called Krythsla are...

Don't know what's happened with the Sophie stage this year but (headliners aside) it's fast becoming just another New Blood Stage - a bunch of bands hardly anyone has heard of.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:39 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:Are we sure it's Pythia? They're not on the line-up page but some band called Krythsla are...

Don't know what's happened with the Sophie stage this year but (headliners aside) it's fast becoming just another New Blood Stage - a bunch of bands hardly anyone has heard of.

The SL stage has always tended to have fairly small bands bar the headliners. That said, going off FB likes (a less than perfect but still worthwhile metric), almost all the other bands announced so far have 1-3K likes, which is more around the bigger unsigned bands than proper Sophie stage size really, so I do see your point.

For further proof, last years top third (excluding headliners) sophie bands had about 10-15K likes, with a few special ones having tens of thousands like Conan, Onslaught, and Ne Obliviscaris (who have certainly grown since they played, but considering they're now at 68K they were most likely well above 10K nine months ago.

Hopefully these have been fleshing it out a bit, and they're working on a few particular bigger choices to put directly below the headliners as we speak.
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:18 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:Didn't realise Pythia were still going.

They fell out with their singer in a pretty big way, and looked like they were going to call it a day. But now they're back with a new singer, who is a big improvement for me. She still needs a bit more stage time to get to the level they need to be at, but they're heading in the right direction.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:29 pm

Really happy with One Machine and Pythia, Memoriam has potential. Don't know Derange and don't like This is Turin.

Overall ok for me.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

Fourducks
Lowly Peon

Postby Fourducks » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:41 pm

For any unaware Death Metal fans Memoriam is newly formed of Karl Willets of Bolt Thrower alongside some of the lads from Benediction I believe, so that has the potential to be a good watch if you like those two bands' style. Could hear a couple BT tunes in there as well.
Attended: 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, [2019]

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:58 pm

Soze wrote: I'm not sure why they make a pre announcement for stuff like this, just ends up underwhelming!

You say that, completely passed me by and only just realized there had been an announcement :lol:

One Machine: Always good to have a bit more thrash :D Quite like this band and am looking forward to them opening for Overkill in a few weeks, probably band of the announcement for me (just don't clash with Fear Factory!)

Memorium: Potentially a good booking, so will wait to see how it pans out. Quite like these kinds of bookings as it mixes things up a bit, kind of like Ol' Drake last year

Pythia: I remember listening to them a few years ago and thinking they were ok, might pop along and see them on the day but not excited about it.

This is Turin: Too generic and unexciting for me, add it to the list of bands I'll skip.

Derange: Pretty good actually, could be fun.

Good announcement for me, makes up for the last announcement :yes:

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:27 pm

Not a terrible announcement, but not a great one for me either.

Memorium: Not for me.

Pythia: Sohpie has made them a better band than they used to be with Emily. I can think of bands I'd prefer, but I'm happy enough to see them play again.

This Is Turin: I didn't enjoy them when they last played Bloodstock, and I doubt much has changed since then.

One Machine: OKish. I've seen them a few times. They're a bit variable. Some songs are pretty decent, others don't really work for me. They've also had an abysmal mix every time I've seen them. I don't know if that's just bad luck of whether it's something to do with how they configure things on stage.

Derange: I'd never heard of them, and couldn't care less what Metal Hammer think. Having listened to one track now, the bits where she sings aren't bad. The screams/growls don't improve things however.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:59 pm

I've only heard of Pythia here.

Also, where are they on the lineup page :?

Green Man III
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man III » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:53 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:Are we sure it's Pythia? They're not on the line-up page but some band called Krythsla are...

Yeah, it looks like somebody fucked up with the announcement and the update on the line up page. But the new poster shows both those bands and Pythia are announcing their appearance on their facebook page so I think it's safe to say they're on.

Which makes me happy because finally not just one but two female-fronted bands announced.

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:10 am

Me neither!

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:33 am

bloodofthekings wrote:Well, I very much doubt the entire booking policy is based purely on requests. It's not as simple as "oh, a bunch of people have asked for these 3 bands - so we'll automatically be able to book them as they will definitely be available and for the price that we want them at". It's a bit more complex than that.

But - Bloodstock do need to drop the whole "by the fans, for the fans" bollox now as it really isn't the case anymore. Which I'm ok with, I'd just rather they be honest about it. Like, don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining, you know?

So you think these bands are a good booking? I really can't see them being exciting for many metal fans or potential or actual attendees of the festival regardless of whether they have been requested or not, I'm not saying it should be just on requests, it should be on quality and appropriate bands that are relevent to the festival. 2 bands like that taking up slots on the mainstage seems poor too me, last year bands in around those slots were the likes of Nuclear Assault, Armoured Saint, 1349, Wolf and Agloch for example!
And yeah they do need to drop that slogan, but they do manage tp get the odd few bands for the fans :P

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:37 am

Not heard of any of these bands, will have to check them out, might see One Machine with Vader and Overkill, they has Steve Smyth so can't be too bad!

florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Postby florencethemachine » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:08 am

Memoriam I will probably like as I love a bit of BT and Benediction.

Had a quick listen to the others and will probably miss them depending on clashes. The eminence of the Sophie bands has decreased so much. There has been some top-tier (in terms of quality in their respective genre) bands playing at all times in the day in recent years.

Still a lot of slots to be filled but my gut is telling me the aces have already been dealt.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:59 am

Warlock wrote:
So you think these bands are a good booking? I really can't see them being exciting for many metal fans or potential or actual attendees of the festival regardless of whether they have been requested or not, I'm not saying it should be just on requests, it should be on quality and appropriate bands that are relevent to the festival. 2 bands like that taking up slots on the mainstage seems poor too me, last year bands in around those slots were the likes of Nuclear Assault, Armoured Saint, 1349, Wolf and Agloch for example!

Thing is, the probably are a good booking for the audience BOA has now - better ones than some of the examples you've given. Wolf pulled about 40 people to their own gig last year, and other 'name bands' that have a decent reputation/heritage on paper don't amount to anything as a draw - I've seen Raven play to 20 people, Angel Witch and Trouble to about 100, even bands which people fall over themselves to like atm had their dry periods where they couldn't fill a phone box. I doubt that, prior to their last album, that Armoured Saint would have got that much more up here - Queensryche only managed about 300. The argument that 'they're a band that no one remembers from 20 years ago' can also apply to the myriad of thrash/NWOBHM that have crawled out of woodwork in the last few years.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11