Next Announcement Thread

August 11-14, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Re: Next Announcement Thread

Postby cthulhu » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:57 pm

BLAKEYBLOKIZARD wrote:Well that's what I mean; Immortal, Behemoth, Emperor, King Diamond, Slayer. Those sorts of bands. And yes, you're probably right, but who do you think will be next? As I said, the amount of 'big' bands that are small enough to play bloodstock is dwindling. Then we will see it go one of three ways:
1) Back to booking real headliners
2) Repeat bookings of Machine head and Rob Zombie
3) Starting a new tier of bump-ups (first uk festival headlining appearance). Then we'll have Asking Alexandria, Black Veil Brides and Animals As Leaders headlining bloodstock 2019

My prediction is Mastodon, Korn and Marilyn Manson to headline this year.

Ah ok we are on the same page I believe I wasn't sure if you were one of the "nothing from later than 1985" fans or just more into the less mainstream stuff irrespective of age.

Bloodstock as a festival is in an awkward state right now it's too small for the Iron Maiden's, Black Sabbath's and the Metallica's of this world but at the same time it's too big for the bands you've listed. So we wind up with the disappointing middle ground. Bands who play middle of the day at Download who can't pack out the field at Bloodstock for love or money. I'd be very happy for some Mastodon if i'm honest.

It's very clear that Bloodstock is in an identity crisis and i think for the time being we will have to suffer more headliners who fail to even retain the crowd the special guests perform to much less pack the field.

Skippy wrote:They still have a few options left. Like you said, Korn, Mastadon, at a push Manson. If Trivium can do it Five Finger Death Punch probably can. If we see Limp Bizkit I'll probably stab someone, but they are a possibility. Bullet for My Valentine. I could see Bring Me the Horizon doing it soon, they have a bit more respect than some of the others. I'd hate most of those but I think they aren't that likely to run out, especially if they do go full gaycore and book Asking Alexandria or something.

I'm more interested who you think they could get as a "real" headliner. Only one I could think is maybe Manowar, and there are many issues with that anyway. I'd like to see Savatage, Helloween or Blind Guardian, but I'm not sure any are big enough. Give Watain a few years and another album and they might headline, other than that don't think there are any big enough extreme bands - if Behemoth can't, who else is there?

My predictions would be something like: Dream Theater, Korn and Judas Priest, but honestly I have no idea.

Thing is that comes down to whether you think Trivium "did it" or not. From where i was standing there was shit loads of empty space between the pre sound tower audience and the camp chair brigade and their reaction from the crowd seemed pretty lukewarm in general.

I think your suggestions in the shape of things are well grounded although i have my doubts about Watain (even though i'm a big fan of theirs) I am not convinced they will ever top Lawless Darkness or the level they hit with that album and hence the time that they may have been appropriate headliners is in the rearview mirror for them I think but i would genuinely love to be wrong about that.

I'd be happy with Mastodon, Nightwish, Judas Priest. If I were booking my ideal festival were i could pick bands irrespective of their size Nightwish wouldn't even make my top 50 headliners list but I do think they're one of the better options still on the table at the festivals current size.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:11 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
jwh20 wrote: There's usually someone you can go see instead

There wasn't this year. Or any other year apart from 2014 when two of the days had an alternative. Unless you class a ten minute overlap as seeing someone else....

I get the feeling that too many people went to the alternatives in 2014 so things were re-jigged so you're back to being stuck with headliners you don't like. Gave all three headliners a go this year, didn't enjoy them so wandered off and fell asleep. I'm old.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:46 pm

fluffkitten wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:
jwh20 wrote: There's usually someone you can go see instead

There wasn't this year. Or any other year apart from 2014 when two of the days had an alternative. Unless you class a ten minute overlap as seeing someone else....

I get the feeling that too many people went to the alternatives in 2014 so things were re-jigged so you're back to being stuck with headliners you don't like. Gave all three headliners a go this year, didn't enjoy them so wandered off and fell asleep. I'm old.

There was about half an hour of the headliners where nothing was on. That wasn't too bad at all, I think I actually prefer the system they did this year to just full clashing, where the sub headliner and headliner on the Sophie clashed but not fully with the mainstage headliner. The issue was that the only alternative to Trivium for the first half was Pritchard and Dainton, who are basically just crap anyway.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

CelestialWishDaniel
Powermetal Child

Postby CelestialWishDaniel » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:22 am

Skippy wrote:
BLAKEYBLOKIZARD wrote:I could see Bring Me the Horizon doing it soon, they have a bit more respect than some of the others.

See, I would've thought BMTH are too big for Bloodstock, I think they're on a major label at a moment and are playing the 'bigger' festivals (I think they were just under Metallica at Reading). I enjoy them though, I certainly wouldn't complain! I can see Bullet For My Valentine, though, they're about on the same level as Trivium I imagine.

To be honest, with headliners, I think it's a sort of odd transition period where the big mainstream bands are too big (Bring Me The Horizon, Avenged Sevenfold?, Linkin Park), and the big metal bands either are slightly too small, or not as big over here (I remember standing at the front of the stage through Therion and Wintersun to see Rhapsody, only to be tapped on the back by a friend who'd just effortlessly walked to the second row, and I'm not sure I can forget the guy who thought Avantasia bought onto the Special Guest slot!), so you sort of get the 'Treat' acts (Emperor, Immortal), or the mainstream/older metal nostalgia acts (Trivium, Slayer, etc). I personally think Within Temptation were an excellent booking, a big band that firmly fit in to Metal genre, I can't think of too many of those. Perhaps Sabaton when they return, they seem to be growing.

As for who I think could headline, I'm wondering if we'll get something like;

Bullet For My Valentine - Dragonforce - Evanescence? I can't really think of a Rob Zombie-esque third headliner other than Marilyn Manson. Sort of fits the 'On the Metal Side of Mainstream - Metal - Nostalgia/Mainstream' formula that seems to be appearing, I suppose, I'm bloody dreadful at predictions.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:02 am

Skippy wrote:
fluffkitten wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:There wasn't this year. Or any other year apart from 2014 when two of the days had an alternative. Unless you class a ten minute overlap as seeing someone else....

There was about half an hour of the headliners where nothing was on. That wasn't too bad at all, I think I actually prefer the system they did this year to just full clashing, where the sub headliner and headliner on the Sophie clashed but not fully with the mainstage headliner. The issue was that the only alternative to Trivium for the first half was Pritchard and Dainton, who are basically just crap anyway.

What Skippy said, it was done pretty well this year and I'm pretty happy with all the versions they've had in the last 2/3 years since they first started overlapping with headliners. I don't know if it was entirely their decision or if our consistend threads and polls and requests finally made an impact, but I'm glad it happened :)
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:12 am

Possible first time headliners -Just off the top of my head...

Nightwish
Savatage (at a push)
Volbeat
Manowar
Judas Priest
Helloween (reunion)
Scorpions
Korn
Marilyn Manson
Masterdon
Merciful Fate
Ozzy Osbourne
Nine inch Nails (!)
Watain (soon)
Sabaton (soon)
Babymetal (while they are around)
Malemsteen (maybe?)

Oh and I forgot...

Tool
Danzig

I'm sure there are more out there too. So if you start mixing the odd repeat band in with that lot you could keep going with the festival - in the same vain as it has been recently - for years.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Smerphy
Leather Rebel

Postby Smerphy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:37 pm

As long as they don't go on hiatus soon Faith No More would be a great headliner, since they're both heavy and popular with the mainstream Download crowd. :D
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.

That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:03 pm

Smerphy wrote:As long as they don't go on hiatus soon Faith No More would be a great headliner, since they're both heavy and popular with the mainstream Download crowd. :D

Heavy? They haven't really been heavy since Chuck left and I think they've moved a million miles away from the fanbase they had in the days when they had Mortal Sin on support. Quite like them, but not for Bloodstock IMO.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Smerphy
Leather Rebel

Postby Smerphy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:21 pm

Yeah I can see that. They're not a typical choice for a metal festival but I still think they could go down well, especially if they can somehow fit in a Fantomas set with it. :D
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.

That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:11 pm

Smerphy wrote:Yeah I can see that. They're not a typical choice for a metal festival but I still think they could go down well, especially if they can somehow fit in a Fantomas set with it. :D

I'd rather a metal band than FNM, especially since I don't like FNM in the slightest.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

grimjim
Warrior of Metal

Postby grimjim » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:35 pm

Personally im quite happy to see behemoth, thought onslaught where awesome live this year , i did bail to see zombie which was ok but feel i should have stayed :-).
Honestly though finding an array of bands to suit everyone realistically is never going to happen and finding that middle ground isnt going to be easy,.
Id be happier to see a lesser known band than a band that is just settled for because its easy ,
Surely the idea of a festival is to find some new hidden gems and also treat yourself to a few choice picks of the bigger ones.
Like saxon last year was a good choice even though im more of a dimmu, watain, septic flesh, onslaught kinda guy,
Speaking of which septic flesh would be a step in the right direction me thinks.
i will never be able to answer what you asked of me...... Because something much more interesting just happened on the T.V.!

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:27 am

I actually think Faith No More would be a great choice, especially considering what everyone else is suggesting. Also Alice in Chains would be awsome for me. Could see it being someone like Bullet for my Valentine or BMTH, not much different to Trivium, something for the children. I like Marilyn Mansons music but I don't think they'd be a good choice, would cost far to much, and I don't think anyone really cares about them anymore, and they're not meant to be very good live. Korn I'm not sure about, love their old stuff but don't think they'd be right for BOA. Dream Theater and Mastadon would be ok I imagine and other possibilities may be FFDP and Disturbed, think the latter would put on a great show, and are alot more metal nowadays than they're first album. The best headliner they could get next year is obviously Judas Priest, I just don't know if their too big or expensive. I'd be happy with Slayer as it's been awhile since I've seen them, but probably a bit of a boring choice for people. Tool or Danzig would be interesting choices, Danzig are maybe too small to headline though? And I imagine Tool would rather do Reading or Download. can't see Nine Inch Nails doing it, love them but completely wrong genre!
However the headliners shape up though, I'm really not too bothered as they are a very small part of the festival for me, only saw a bit of RZ before Godflesh this year, would be really cool if they got Alice In Chains though

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:44 am

fluffkitten wrote:
Smerphy wrote:Yeah I can see that. They're not a typical choice for a metal festival but I still think they could go down well, especially if they can somehow fit in a Fantomas set with it. :D

I'd rather a metal band than FNM, especially since I don't like FNM in the slightest.

This
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:46 am

cthulhu wrote:
houston4044 wrote:
metaldinosaur wrote:I have a feeling Marilyn Manson might happen at some point.

Got nothing to back that up with mind, it's just a hunch.

However, if I'm right - Is that a step too far from what the festival is supposed to be?

Oh dear god I hope not I can't stand the guy. I hope BOA don't consider (not only because he's terrible) but because they've already taken a fairly big slot gamble on Venom in terms of demands vs pulling power

Really? I'd have said 3rd from top was about right for Venom.

What I meant is that Venom are known for demanding a lot (£££) even though they are not the draw they used to be in the early 80's. 3rd is probably about right but I bet they demanded more than usual for bands in that slot; that and they haven't played the UK for awhile so hard to know what they're pulling power would be.

If BOA booked MM as well (who would be quite a large leap in terms of acts who've preceded him) then that'd be two big (and probably) expensive gambles in one year. I can't see BOA taking those gambles both in one year.

Hene my logic, we already have Venom, so we won't get Manson :P

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:33 am

metaldinosaur wrote:Possible first time headliners -Just off the top of my head...

Nightwish
Savatage (at a push)
Volbeat
Manowar
Judas Priest
Helloween (reunion)
Scorpions
Korn
Marilyn Manson
Masterdon
Merciful Fate
Ozzy Osbourne
Nine inch Nails (!)
Watain (soon)
Sabaton (soon)
Babymetal (while they are around)
Malemsteen (maybe?)

Oh and I forgot...

Tool
Danzig

I'm sure there are more out there too. So if you start mixing the odd repeat band in with that lot you could keep going with the festival - in the same vain as it has been recently - for years.

Just want to throw Ministry into this. I'd love to see them.