Next Announcement Thread

August 11-14, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Re: Next Announcement Thread

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:23 pm

The last tour they played tiny venues such as The Rescue Rooms and The Deaf Institute whereas on previous tours they were packing them in at large venues such as Manchester Academy and Nottingham Rock City. So they've gone from 2500 capacity venues to ones that hold 300.

I think the Sophie stage beckons.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:47 pm

They are nowhere near Sophie stage, still a decently sized band. Around here they played the same venues Amon Amarth played on their last tour, completely by choice playing many smaller venues which for some reason seems to be the fashion now (Trivium just announced a similar thing). They sold out most of those dates. Perhaps they aren't as big as they used to be, but I'd say still comfortably in the top four, perhaps getting an hour slot. Not sure that should be above Satyricon but I think Symphony X are placed higher than they should be (despite the fact they are easily the better band).
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Leemanruss
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Leemanruss » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:20 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:The last tour they played tiny venues such as The Rescue Rooms and The Deaf Institute whereas on previous tours they were packing them in at large venues such as Manchester Academy and Nottingham Rock City. So they've gone from 2500 capacity venues to ones that hold 300.

I think the Sophie stage beckons.

I've seen many bands in The Rescue Rooms that have played Bloodstock's mainstage: Paradise Lost, Insomnium, Katatonia, Wintersun to name a few.

Also, I wasn't there, but Dimmu Borgir also played The Rescue Rooms. Exodus are due to play Rescue Rooms...

When I saw Dragonforce on their latest tour, they played the same venue as Sabaton and Amon Amarth have played - both of whom were recent Special Guests at Bloodstock.

I'm not denying that they are a shadow of their former self in terms of the size of crowds that they pull in, but they are leagues above the SOPHIE Stage.

As far as Satyricon and Symphony X are concerned, I think that Symphony X have the rarity factor in their favour (despite their upcoming tour this year) and Satyricon are playing an album that is vastly different to the sound that they currently have. This probably isn't too attractive to casual Satyricon fans or fans of the later stuff as a whole. Hence the current billing of these 2 bands either side of Dragonforce.

Fear Factory seem quite low too, but I couldn't see Paradise Lost 4th from top either. I think that Bloodstock are simply upping their game in the size of the bands lower down on their main stage bill, which can only be a good thing!
Atmosfest: '17 '18
BOA: '08 '09 '10 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '16 '17 '18 '19
Damnation: '11 '13 '16 '17
Download: '06
HammerFest: '09 '17
Hellfest: '17
HRH Vikings: '18
PMQF: '17 '18
Ragnarok: '18
Wacken: '17
Wacken Winter Nights: '19
Warhorns: '16 '17 '18 '19

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:34 pm

Dragonforce packed out The Hub in Plymouth recently, same venue that Amon Amarth, Alestorm, Sabaton have played. Exodus are playing it in March. Bands like Marduk and Nile have played there too and got a fraction of the crowd.

Leemanruss

Postby Leemanruss » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:01 pm

Soze wrote:Dragonforce packed out The Hub in Plymouth recently, same venue that Amon Amarth, Alestorm, Sabaton have played. Exodus are playing it in March. Bands like Marduk and Nile have played there too and got a fraction of the crowd.

Indeed, this is where I saw them.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:04 pm

I don't think you can really consider the attendances at a small venue in the SW as being indicative of how popular a band is. There probably isn't a great deal to do in Plymouth at the best of times, so you probably get a good turn out when somebody does roll in to town.

Going from playing 2500 capacity venues to 300 capacity ones is quite a bit of a drop though. I doubt anyone would play The Rescue Rooms rather than Rock City by choice. It's a terrible venue. :lol:

The Sophie stage comment was firmly tongue in cheek. Mainly at the expense of the gobshite former singer being demoted to playing there last year. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Killing_time
Paster of Muppets

Postby Killing_time » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:07 pm

Who the hell is actually paying to go see Dragonforce? They are terrible and i don't even think the Power Pop listeners would even buy a ticket for their shows! I'm not really shocked by Bloodstock putting them on main though as they were responsible for Avantasia subbing a few years back even though they have very little fan base in the UK(As well as extremely little musical talent)

Death to Power Pop!! It should go down with the sinking ship that is Download festival.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:26 pm

Killing_time wrote:Who the hell is actually paying to go see Dragonforce? They are terrible and i don't even think the Power Pop listeners would even buy a ticket for their shows! I'm not really shocked by Bloodstock putting them on main though as they were responsible for Avantasia subbing a few years back even though they have very little fan base in the UK(As well as extremely little musical talent)

Avantasia have little musical talent? Now I know that you're an idiot.

Taste is one thing. Saying that extremely talented musicians aren't just because you don't like them is plain stupidity.

patrickransom
Definitely Not Nu

Postby patrickransom » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:36 pm

Both Vicky and Simon Hall seem pretty excited about a recent booking according to various social medias, could be someone who has never played before?

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:41 pm

Knowing Simon Hall's taste in music then I reckon it's time to brace myself for disappointment. :lol:

Leemanruss

Postby Leemanruss » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:11 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:I don't think you can really consider the attendances at a small venue in the SW as being indicative of how popular a band is. There probably isn't a great deal to do in Plymouth at the best of times, so you probably get a good turn out when somebody does roll in to town.

Going from playing 2500 capacity venues to 300 capacity ones is quite a bit of a drop though. I doubt anyone would play The Rescue Rooms rather than Rock City by choice. It's a terrible venue. :lol:

The Sophie stage comment was firmly tongue in cheek. Mainly at the expense of the gobshite former singer being demoted to playing there last year. :lol:

Totally agree with the gobshite comment! Haha

Rescue Rooms isn't that bad - I've been to worse!

Leemanruss

Postby Leemanruss » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:13 pm

patrickransom wrote:Both Vicky and Simon Hall seem pretty excited about a recent booking according to various social medias, could be someone who has never played before?

I always worry when they are excited for an announcement as I am still scarred from the Machine Head announcement!

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:32 pm

Skippy wrote:If it's this week I'm calling Black Dahlia Murder.

Just noticed that the lineup page has changed so Dragonforce are now on Sunday (above Satyricon as well) and Rotting Christ aren't there at all.

RC are back on the page, bottom of Saturday.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:I don't think you can really consider the attendances at a small venue in the SW as being indicative of how popular a band is. There probably isn't a great deal to do in Plymouth at the best of times, so you probably get a good turn out when somebody does roll in to town.

Dragonforce were selling out these small clubs all over the country (Plymouth has quite a good live scene btw, has done ever since the old Poly got turned into a University. The city is crawling in youth!).

My point was, Dragonforce sell more tickets than most of the extreme bands everybody takes for red as being worthy of a main stage slot. If the likes of 1349 get to play there then I'm damn sure Dragonforce can! It seems popular opinion that black and death metal is bigger than melodic metal in the UK but attendances at gigs don't seem to bear that out. Sure, they're not as big as they were back in the guitar hero days but they still command an audience. When they were playing big venues they weren't touring so extensively. That small club tour took in a shit load of venues.

Could I also point out that I'm not a particular fan of Dragonforce. I did go and watch them and, in fairness, they put on an entertaining show. But I don't own anything by them or ever really listen to them by choice, I have no vested interest in beating their drum!

pinhead0303
Consort of the Beast

Postby pinhead0303 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:18 am

Skippy wrote:If it's this week I'm calling Black Dahlia Murder.

Just noticed that the lineup page has changed so Dragonforce are now on Sunday (above Satyricon as well) and Rotting Christ aren't there at all.

Rotting Christ probably looked at the rest of Saturday's lineup and thought, nah, we're not going to bother. I had much the same reaction.