Personal opinions on VIP

August 11-14, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
ocean_of_ypres
Warrior of Metal

Personal opinions on VIP

Postby ocean_of_ypres » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:18 am

So, I'm about 90% sold on going to next year's festival anyway. I'm thinking if doing it as self pitch VIP this time around. I've mentioned it to people, but it's still early doors for them, and they'll probably want to see who is going to be on the bill before they decide.

While I'm waiting on people making their minds up, what are people's opinion on going VIP?
Are the amenities actually fully cleaned out (i heard the download VIP showers and toilets were just as bad as the regular ones) or are they just pumped out?
Is there any food vans actually situated in the camping area?
Did anyone struggle with getting a Serpents Lair shirt in their size (some of my friends are big people, so they'll be wanting something like a xxl or xxxl)?
Was there a phone charging station in the campsite and if so was the price reasonable?
What was the entertainment in the hospitality area like?
How did you find the beers? What was the rough ratio of cask to bottles? We're they well priced?
What was the food like and was it better priced than the in-arena food?

Hopefully, more knowledge will mean people will want to go VIP

I went a way for some time, but I guess I should come back and annoy people due to attending this year

Tet
Denim Demon

Re: Personal opinions on VIP

Postby Tet » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:52 am

The VIP bar is a lifesaver. A massively improved range on offer compared to the main arena, and significantly higher quality. The food in the VIP area varies, but is usually decent. The roast beef in yorkshire pudding last year was fantastic! Prices are comparable to the main arena. I think I heard the drinks might have been slightly (10-20p?) cheaper, but I didn't drink in the main arena, so I can't be sure about that.

The entertainment is variable. A few years ago, it was almost always fantastic. In the last couple of years, it has had a few low points, but it very much depends on which DJs they have on at any given point. I only saw a couple of bands, but they were good enough. If you're looking for a drunken singalong to an Ozzy tribute band, that's the sort of thing you'll get.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

fluffkitten
Leather Rebel

Postby fluffkitten » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:53 pm

ocean_of_ypres wrote:So, I'm about 90% sold on going to next year's festival anyway. I'm thinking if doing it as self pitch VIP this time around. I've mentioned it to people, but it's still early doors for them, and they'll probably want to see who is going to be on the bill before they decide.

While I'm waiting on people making their minds up, what are people's opinion on going VIP?
Are the amenities actually fully cleaned out (i heard the download VIP showers and toilets were just as bad as the regular ones) or are they just pumped out?

The loos and showers this year (and most years) were way better than the ones in general camping or the arena. Last year was a nasty aberration. They aren't your standard turdis - 4 proper cubicles with real loos and a wash basin per trailer, kept clean during the day and pumped out 1st thing.

Think there was one near the glamping tents.

Did anyone struggle with getting a Serpents Lair shirt in their size (some of my friends are big people, so they'll be wanting something like a xxl or xxxl)?

xxl are easy though it seems that xxxl shirts were in short supply - I'm not the only one given a xxl when asking for a xxxl.

Was there a phone charging station in the campsite and if so was the price reasonable?

Only charging was in the arena unless you had one of the glamping pods with their built in power.

Highly variable. The DJs do tend to be better than the ones in the Sophie tent.

How did you find the beers? What was the rough ratio of cask to bottles? We're they well priced?

Can't answer any of that since I still can't safely drink. :(

It was quite good, and at the least no more expensive than the arena.

Hopefully, more knowledge will mean people will want to go VIP

VIP sells out most years and the campsite can be fairly crowded (forget gazebos) but I thought it was worth the extra cash this year.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Postby florencethemachine » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:34 pm

I've went VIP the last three years and it has always been great. The only slight detractions were that the 2014 toilets were woeful and the DJ's are still a bit shite. Saying that they always have guest DJ slots and the atmosphere is pretty cool.

Every major pro/con has already been posted apart from the fact it is ridiculously close to the main arena, which makes it so easy to go to and fro. I know the other camping areas aren't a download-esque distance away but it does make a difference.

ocean_of_ypres
Warrior of Metal

Postby ocean_of_ypres » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:16 pm

Being in disabled really did make a difference this year. It wasn't straight down and into the arena, but still better than the walk, and the busy flow of people going in and out of the entry point. Plus, it was really nice to be out of the way of all the noise. Seeing the VIP area from the other side of the fence did pique my interest in it, enough to seriously consider going that way next year

Thanks for all the input so far
I went a way for some time, but I guess I should come back and annoy people due to attending this year

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:03 pm

This is a very useful thread as I am 90% decided on VIP for 2016.

Thanks for the info folks.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:47 pm

ocean_of_ypres wrote:While I'm waiting on people making their minds up, what are people's opinion on going VIP?

In handy list format!
  • I've been doing VIP since it started, and each year has been better than the last. Personally I've also found it well worth the cost.
  • Toilets were pumped out around 9 every day, and may have been done later too. Up until they they turned one of the ladies in to a gents for those of us who needed to drop the kids off at the pool. Always bog roll, soap, water and paper towels for drying hands.
  • I didn't see any food vans in the campsite, only in the bar area
  • Never had an issue myself but I'm not going for those sizes either
  • No phone charging in the campsite, but the one in the hospitality seemed a reasonable price and was open Monday morning.
  • Variable. To me is was generally just generic DJ's at night. There were a few acts around which were interesting, but nothing to go out of the way for.
  • The beers were excellent (same price as the arena). It's predominately cask with a few bottles. Not all the casks were on at the same time as they won't serve it until it's ready, but then they sold off everything remaining on Sunday night for £2 a pint.
  • The food was all right - had a decent hog roast. Reports have been variable with some loving it, some hating. The Coffee Bug was always good. Prices equivelent to the arena.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:59 am

The last time I went to BOA (2014) I did VIP, I'd never done VIP before, and the reason I did it was because the line up wasn't that great for me, and I thought this might just save the festival.

imo it was definitely worth it, and despite as mentioned not being that into the line up, I came away thinking it was the best BOA I'd been to just for doing VIP.

I guess it's all the little difference people have mentioned - rather than 2 watered down gnats piss lagers at the main bar, the VIP bar has hundreds of ciders and real ales, and being able to sample each before you be gives a feeling of being waited on rather than just being shouted what do want and have a beer chucked at you. Also the nice bean bags you can lie on, not having a huge queue for the shower, better toilets, and the "hair area" with dryers and straighteners. True these little things hardly justify spending double the price, but at the end of the festival I found myself just thinking I'd had a much nicer experience than in normal camping.

The only downside I'd say was the DJs, the music was rather naff and earsplittingly loud in 2014...not a major issue unless you're in the DJ tent a lot though.

Hotchilidog
Powermetal Child

Postby Hotchilidog » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:35 am

My first visit to Bloodstock this year and I too went for the VIP package. Thought it was well worth it. The bar is just excellent, great beers and a nice place to hang out and good to have the entertainment too. Toilets were fine all weekend in my experience.

If I was to make a criticism, it is that the campsite actually seemed very cramped, at mid afternoon on the thursday there didn't seem to be a great deal of space left.

I'll definitely be doing the VIP again this, well worth it in my view.

Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bearstock » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:45 pm

9 of us went VIP this year for the first time, 8 of us having been normal camping previously.

All agreed we're looking to go VIP again for 2016 with very little question.

The toilets were in excellent condition all weekend. Numerous occasions I saw people cleaning them at various times.

Showers were also decent quality. Although you do have to use a broom to scrape out excess water, I don't think that can be helped all that much?

The hospitality is basically a large tent with a bar and "carpetted" flooring. DJ throught the day playing songs and interviewing a few people from bands or wherever. At night ebcomes a club tent.

Plenty of picnic table style seating outside the tent, numerous toilets and there was a mobile phone charging station along with a large barbecue tent and a stall selling coffee.

The only slight issue any of us had all weekend with the VIP area was a situation between a mate and the guy on the coffee stall but as I wasn't there is not something I'll delve into on here.

The security guys were sound all weekend to us. Friendly and helpful.

Locality wise is ideal as well.

Would highly recommend it :)
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

Metalos Maximus
Lowly Peon

Postby Metalos Maximus » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:46 am

Never camped in the regular campsite so can't really give a comparison but here's what I find good about VIP.

* Beer/Cider selection: beats the arena which only has overpriced mainstream beer
* The people: this is really the whole of Bloodstock but great fun late night in the vip tent
* breakfast: best breakfast sandwiches at the festival
* Toilets: not too fussed when it's late at night and you're hammered but they're good in the mornings when you can't stomach sh*t everywhere
* car park: literally 2 minutes walk away

These points by themselves are probably worth the extra cash and make the festival more enjoyable for me

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:00 pm

I'm also thinking about upgrading to VIP next year. I've camped in the family camp the last two times I've been at Bloodstock as I like to get a little bit of sleep over the weekend! How does VIP compare noise-wise?

fluffkitten
Leather Rebel

Postby fluffkitten » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:29 am

Jay1993 wrote:I'm also thinking about upgrading to VIP next year. I've camped in the family camp the last two times I've been at Bloodstock as I like to get a little bit of sleep over the weekend! How does VIP compare noise-wise?

VIP is fairly quiet, mostly it depends on how close to the bar, or to Valhalla and Asgard are but even then its no worse than the roar coming out of Midgard. It was easily quiet enough to get a good sleep starting around midnight, and I normally have real trouble sleeping.
Before this year I'd always camped in quiet but chose VIP for this year and now plan on camping there every year for a few reasons.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:36 pm

Ah thanks! :D Definitely considering it next year!

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:02 am

On the basis of the comments on this thread 2016 will be a VIP year for me.

Valhalla in 2015 was fine but this sounds better for an old fart like me!
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!