Personal opinions on VIP

August 11-14, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Re: Personal opinions on VIP

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:52 am

Paying £100+ for a "better choice" of beer and the possibility of a clean toilet adds to the claims that there's one born every minute. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Illwish
Denim Demon

Postby Illwish » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:09 pm

As above. I've paid less than £100 for full festivals with decent bars, toilets, ability to park next to your tent (and that's before we get to line-ups). Never-mind a bloody 'upgrade' on a £135 ticket.

Anyone considering VIP would be better off using the money to go to a festival in mainland Europe.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:21 pm

Yeah just had a quick look at the VIP prices and it's double the price of a regular ticket O_o Not sure I can justify it now haha!

Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bearstock » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:35 pm

Well for me it makes sense as my missus basically hates camping and has a dodgy hip so a few "luxuries" and area between the arena and campsite to chill etc resulting in a happy wife is worth it :yes:
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:34 am

Bearstock wrote:Well for me it makes sense as my missus basically hates camping and has a dodgy hip so a few "luxuries" and area between the arena and campsite to chill etc resulting in a happy wife is worth it :yes:

Yet you'll still be camping, but paying £100 or so more to camp In a different campsite. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:20 am

deleted post, got summat wrong

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:25 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Paying £100+ for a "better choice" of beer and the possibility of a clean toilet adds to the claims that there's one born every minute. :lol:

Word. Observe what times loos are being cleaned, bring your own beer. Save money. :yes:

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:47 pm

In this thread: people who've camped in VIP and list the virtues of it, and people who've never camped in VIP saying how much of a waste of money it is.

If you drive to the festival, value your sleep, prefer slightly more decent food and ale and prefer not to shit in a moulded plastic wendyhouse, then it's more than worth it.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:48 pm

Ensorcelled wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:Paying £100+ for a "better choice" of beer and the possibility of a clean toilet adds to the claims that there's one born every minute. :lol:

Word. Observe what times loos are being cleaned, bring your own beer. Save money. :yes:

But that's the point - the little things all add up to a much nicer festival experience which is worth more than the individual sum of the parts. Yes, if try to put a monetary value on each of the little perks of VIP, it will probably come to less than the £100+ you spend on upgrading your ticket, but that's not how you feel after doing VIP, you feel like you've just had a much better festival.

After doing normal camping each year for BOA, I tried out VIP in 2014, and had the best experience I'd had at BOA, and if I come back to BOA again, it'll definitely be VIP. You don't come away after doing VIP thinking "well the showers saved me a fiver, lying on the bean bags I'd pay a tenner for, blah blah", you just come away thinking you've had a much nicer festival experience and how much better it is than normal camping.

As the guy above says, no one who has done VIP says it's not worth it, the only people who say it's not worth it are those people who've never done it and just try to put monetary values on each element, which is completely missing the point of what VIP is.

Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bearstock » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:04 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Bearstock wrote:Well for me it makes sense as my missus basically hates camping and has a dodgy hip so a few "luxuries" and area between the arena and campsite to chill etc resulting in a happy wife is worth it :yes:

Yet you'll still be camping, but paying £100 or so more to camp In a different campsite. :lol:

Still camping but with more space around us, closer to the car/arena/bar with decent showers and a better place to go to the toilet.

Happy wife = happy life :yes:
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

JPMC
Warrior of Metal

Postby JPMC » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:56 am

I have done BOA only twice. 2014 and 2015.

2014 VIP was excellent. The food was top, the ales were plentiful and the wagon just outside the VIP entrance with coffee available even at 6am was just glorious. That and warm showers were just needed. Sorry, I need hygene. The toilets were terrible.

2015 VIP was a little different. The toilets were far better, apparently 2014 was full of vandals. But overall I felt the experience was not as good as 2014. There was only one coffee stall in the VIP area which was not accessible until 8:30am. The food stall I am just going to call it, was dodgy as fuck. Three of us had burgers from there and all three of us were just straight up ill. My missus bought an egg sandwich and the egg was practically raw when she got it. That and I felt BOA had oversold the VIP area by a large margin. The area had not grown in size, but more people were definitely shoe-horned in.

All that aside, I'll still do VIP for 2016. I have experienced crap campsites and have no wish to do so again. I'm happy to pay the extra for warm showers, better ales and being a 2-minute walk from the arena.

Just a heads up, BOA. Some of my mates in the pleb camping discovered that by turning their wristbands inside out, it looked gold enough to pass like the normal VIP wristbands to security guards especially in the dark. We don't want those riff-raff in hyarrr.

tmcgoay
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby tmcgoay » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:35 am

only ever done VIP, every year since 2010. wouldn't do it any other way.
BOA '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `18
Beermageddon '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `17, `18
SRS '12

http://www.pandemoniumclub.co.uk/
http://www.beermageddon.co.uk/

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:53 pm

Definitely going VIP this year as my wife has just offered to give me the money for the difference between a standard ticket and VIP as a birthday present.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:37 pm

If your main concern is a good night's sleep and a nice toilet you can book a room in the travelodge 10 minutes cab drive away each night for the same price!

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:09 pm

I am taking VIP for skipping the queue to get in, the free showers, quiet and the beer tent access.

I loved camping in Valhalla last year but it was just a bit too noisy for an old fart like me and I need my sleep (I get migraines if I get too tired).
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!