Meet the team!

August 11-14, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
S'tan
Dark Overlord

Meet the team!

Postby S'tan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:19 am

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of (no) wealth and (questionable) taste!

No doubt some of you have spotted the appearance of 'The Bloodstock Team' group on the forum homepage and maybe wondered what that was about? Well, the powers that be have decided that they wanted a bit of a 'shakeup' and some new life breathing into the forum and duly tasked me with the job of doing just that...... well, when I say I, I mean we because I only agreed to doing this if they came along with me! Basically we're going to ramp up our (frankly non-existent) presence on the forum so you will now be able to interact with everyone directly involved in making Bloodstock happen....as it was years ago before social media interfered! Obviously you are already doing this with the most important people at the festival, but now there will a presence on the forum from the people behind the scenes, the names and faces you've come to recognise over the years and it's time we all got reacquainted!

I won't waffle on too long by way of introductions here as I'm more than aware of the tl,dr brigade, but please allow me to introduce the team and to give you all a brief idea of who we are and what we do.....and of course who's going to be lurking about on the forum in the near future!

S'tan
Dark Overlord

Re: Meet the team!

Postby S'tan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:22 am

I'm sure you're already more than familiar with the unholy trinity that is Aaaarrrrgggghhhh, Beardy and Noodle, forum moderators extraordinaire and downright legends! Suffice to say you should all go voluntarily onto their pint list (without committing the offences !)

As for the rest of the team, some of these names may be familiar to you, some not and there are probably some I've missed and will have to add in, but this is essentially your 'core' BOA team along with a basic overview of their roles and responsibilities.....we have an amazing team of people supporting everyone here throughout the year as well as over the festival weekend itself, but unfortunately it's impossible to name and introduce them all....for now!

Paul Gregory - Festival Founder.. Paul is our leader, one half of the original Bloodstock brainchild and continues to be the innovator of ideas. When others say it's impossible, Paul just says, "pffffftttt, just watch....."

Rachael Greenfield - Festival Director. Working with our site management and production teams to ensure we deliver the right level of infrastructure (toilets, fencing, power, water, staging, lighting, security, sound, medical provision, fire cover, stewarding etc), Rachael ensures we work within our license to meet all health and safety requirements so we can all stay safe while partying for four days in the middle of a field, making sure the right help and support is in place to assist anyone that may need it. Rachael also manages the festival budget to ensure we don't overspend on infrastructure, marketing or the bands we book.....always a balancing act. especially while ensuring the ticket prices still remain great value for money!

Adam Gregory - Festival Director. Adam looks after the arena entertainment, sponsorship engagements, advertising and works alongside Rachael with site management and infrastructure organisation as well as providing general support to anyone who needs it!

Vicky Hungerford - Festival Director. Vicky is our main and Sophie stage band booker. Vicky liaises with agents over costs and affordability, negotiating the best price whilst investigating bands touring cycles and establishing who is available in Bloodstocks timeframe. In conjunction with Bloodstocks 'inner circle', Vicky will go after bands and once booked, chase up the bands technical and catering riders and assist in pushing the bands across various media platforms to promote their appearance by working with the band and their management. Vicky also works with other European festivals to try and help get bands to Bloodstock by making sure they can get other Euro dates around that time.

Simon Hall - Unsigned/Metal 2 the Masses coordinator. Simon has been a part of the team since 2007 and his passion for helping bands is bolstered by his role as organiser of the Metal 2 the Masses initiative. Simon works to entice and develop live acts to take it as far as possible, working with venues, promoters, sponsors and generally anyone who is looking to keep music live. Simon is also production manager for the Sophie and New Blood stages and is also the band booker for the Jager and New Blood stages.

Will Johnson - VIP manager. Will is responsible for all things VIP... from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, Will and his team strive to deliver the best VIP experience available. His team will work with you to ensure your stay with us is a pleasant one and should you have any questions or queries either in advance or during your stay with us, Will is the man to go to. Will also reports back on all fan feedback from VIP to our team and staff debriefs and personally reviews and replies to all communications regarding VIP in order to do so.

Alan Shepherd - BOA landlord! Alan provides the infrastructure, staffing and of course the all important drinks range across all the festivals bars, in his own words, "to provide you with the best drinks service at the UK's best festival"

Formal introductions over, these guys are no strangers to most of you so can introduce themselves in their own words....

Lisa McNally - Rock Society Lead. I am the main contact for the Bloodstock Rock Society. Established in 2002, the Rock Society is basically the festival's supporters club and each year 300 people join our existing permanent members to become, effectively, a part of the festival. I look after the Rock Society members all year round and make sure they have access to their online resource and deal with any queries they may have about the Rock Soc, or in many cases, the festival generally.

Over festival weekend I oversee the Rock Society tent in the main arena, making sure our members have the best possible Bloodstock experience. My team also look after lost property, lost children (and adults!), the point of contact for competition winners and act as the general information point for all festival goers and traders throughout the weekend.

Phil Greenwood - Signing Tent Lead. My role is to manage the signing tent which firstly involves contacting bands management around a month before the festival and arranging the bands that want to appear in the tent. The fun part is trying to sort out a timetable, while some bands only have one show over the weekend and are quite flexible, others are doing three shows in three days in three different countries and therefore have quite narrow windows of opportunity. Then throw into the mix that some want to sign before they play, so only after and as you can imagine it soon becomes a bit of a challenge! We start by asking the headliners first and then we work gradually down the bill, I also make a point of getting Sophie bands in on the act too!

I am ably assisted by my front of house team headed up by Chris 'Fatboy' Sams. He operates a tight ship and gets it all running to schedule while I deal with the bands backstage and firefight any problems with schedules etc. I think it's a great part of the festival and the fans seem to think so too.. As a team we work extremely hard to make it all work and get a lot of satisfaction from seeing the bands and the fans having a great time!

Rob Bannister - Festival Conpere: My role within Bloodstock is Head of the Comperes, a job I've been doing since 2006, although from 2001 I worked behind the scenes in artist liaison. As well as front and back announcing some of the greatest metal acts the world has seen, I also coordinate a team of hand-picked comperes (9 of us now!) to ensure that every band gets an announcement (if they want one of course) This involves advance planning with regards to stage timings and compere allocations. On the weekend, I liaise with stage managers, tour managers and the stage crew to ensure announcements are made at just the right time. All the best planning can sometimes fall by the wayside when bands or managers change their minds! The comperes also have to be prepared to deliver important information to the general public at a moments notice. As head of the compere section, I am responsible to the directors for ensuring that all comperes follow strict guidelines for compering and maintain high standards. Thankfully my team are always up to the challenge and nowadays we can survive the festival without anyone losing their voice!
Last edited by S'tan on Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blake_Porter
Denim Demon

Postby Blake_Porter » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:12 am

Post count cheater

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:57 am

:yes:

For a while this place has felt disregarded, hopefully this is a sign the forum's not going to just be left to die a well of self-pity following the march of Facefuck over everything.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

fluffkitten
Leather Rebel

Postby fluffkitten » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:13 am

A good start. :D
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:58 am

S'tan wrote:Please allow me to introduce myself

Feel free to do so, then, since you've introduced everyone except yourself so far ;-)
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:43 pm

Tet wrote:
S'tan wrote:Please allow me to introduce myself

Feel free to do so, then, since you've introduced everyone except yourself so far ;-)

It's all in the histories. :P

Legend has it that this fabulous, fearsome beast is ten yards tall, has a tail like a bell-rope, and the teeth of a regiment of men.

'S'tan', the name was given by a fan, for fans.

fluffkitten
Leather Rebel

Postby fluffkitten » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:45 pm

Does that mean S'tan is an overly large dead sheep? A zombie sheep maybe?
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:49 pm

You'd have to ask him.

No doubt you will find out. :yes:

S'tan
Dark Overlord

Postby S'tan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:05 pm

Blake_Porter wrote:Post count cheater

You'll all just have to work that little bit harder to catch me up....

S'tan
Dark Overlord

Postby S'tan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:11 pm

i0th wrote::yes:

For a while this place has felt disregarded, hopefully this is a sign the forum's not going to just be left to die a well of self-pity following the march of Facefuck over everything.

Social media is great and has certainly made things more convenient for everybody as a way of getting information out there quickly but an unfortunate byproduct of that is the culture that now comes with it. Everything is hit and run, there is no real discussion just lists of statements that rarely exceed one or two sentences (or 140 characters!) and on a Facebook page like Bloodstocks for instance, there is over 100k 'fans' yet how many of those actually come to the festival?

In the current age of social media and everyone/thing having their Facebook pages, Twitter feeds etc, forums may seem 'dated' to some as our allegedly 'busy' modern lifestyles apparently makes it an inconvenience to set up individual accounts and having to visit more than one website for our online discussions or info but look at the difference between a Facebook discussion and a forum one and tell me which is more valuable. As I said to the powers, Facebook will get a typical response of "Bloodstock, you're shit" (well probably more likely 'Bludstok ur fuken shit') ....hit and run and non-constructive, whereas on the forum you will get "Bloodstock, you're shit BECAUSE......" and away we go, and it's exactly that I want to get back to, open and honest two way discussion in full words and sentences with our festival management talking directly to the heart of the festival, our core fans and hopefully that's what we'll be seeing...

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:28 pm

S'tan wrote:Facebook will get a typical response of "Bloodstock, you're shit" (well probably more likely 'Bludstok ur fuken shit') ....hit and run and non-constructive, whereas on the forum you will get "Bloodstock, you're shit BECAUSE......" and away we go, and it's exactly that I want to get back to, open and honest two way discussion in full words and sentences with our festival management talking directly to the heart of the festival, our core fans and hopefully that's what we'll be seeing...

I couldn't agree more. Yes, people are people, and you'll get your fair share of mindless people spewing incoherent hate no matter where you are. We're not immune from that here. But largely, we tend to be a bit better than that. We're not the endless sea of negativity that some of the organisers have made us out to be, and many of us do try and give a rationale for our views. The forum lost out when the management team stopped interacting with us here, and I'd certainly welcome any moves to change that.

The biggest thing that's needed, though, is to fix the usability issues caused by the last redesign! Let's hope that's already fairly high on the TODO list.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Blake_Porter
Denim Demon

Postby Blake_Porter » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:34 pm

Does this mean I cant slag off Vickie and Simons booking without then seeing anymore? :( :D

EDIT: Also, if I have a question for any specific member, where can I do that on here?

S'tan
Dark Overlord

Postby S'tan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:48 pm

You can slag off whoever you want.... I'm a big fan of straight talking :lol:

II'll probably be looking into doing some regular q&a's with various team members.... obviously there are some we will all want to be chatting with at length (who doesn't want to talk about next years bar offerings!) but I suppose I could ask Lee if we could repurpose the Ask the Organisers section and specific questions to specific people could be asked in there.....what do you think?

S'tan
Dark Overlord

Postby S'tan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:49 pm

Tet wrote:
S'tan wrote:Facebook will get a typical response of "Bloodstock, you're shit" (well probably more likely 'Bludstok ur fuken shit') ....hit and run and non-constructive, whereas on the forum you will get "Bloodstock, you're shit BECAUSE......" and away we go, and it's exactly that I want to get back to, open and honest two way discussion in full words and sentences with our festival management talking directly to the heart of the festival, our core fans and hopefully that's what we'll be seeing...

I couldn't agree more. Yes, people are people, and you'll get your fair share of mindless people spewing incoherent hate no matter where you are. We're not immune from that here. But largely, we tend to be a bit better than that. We're not the endless sea of negativity that some of the organisers have made us out to be, and many of us do try and give a rationale for our views. The forum lost out when the management team stopped interacting with us here, and I'd certainly welcome any moves to change that.

The biggest thing that's needed, though, is to fix the usability issues caused by the last redesign! Let's hope that's already fairly high on the TODO list.

....and that's another part of the reason why I'm here! This is your forum, we just provide the 'venue' for discussion so I'll be looking for ideas, suggestions, improvements, tweaks, changes, general feedback etc that I can take back to the management and developers to improve the overall end-user experience. Another thread for another time though but trust me, I'm not here to appease or blow smoke.... things will happen!