The Official "Okay, Now I'm getting excited!" Thread

August 11-14, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Tet
Denim Demon

Re: The Official "Okay, Now I'm getting excited!" Thread

Postby Tet » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:02 pm

I'll get excited when they book some bands I like. Mostly that hasn't happened this year. Again.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:04 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Drinking beer, listening to Metal and watching bands isn't the real world? Where have I been for most of my life?

Certainly not drinking tea* and eating scones. And I quite like the French. :lol:

*Prefer the other Tetley's and PG Sips. :D

More that for 4 days all I have to worry about is what bands I want to watch, how to get over the hangover and what food I want to eat. Not like a normal day when I have bills, work and other stuff to worry about.

Green Man III
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man III » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:59 am

Cheers to that! It's also a fucking holiday! That'll be 4 days, at least, the guys at work are gonna have to figure out how to survive without me cause there'll be no logging in during this time.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:21 pm

5 days away all to myself with like minded people, great music and hopefully great weather (just not as hot as last year please). :D
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:05 am

8th BoA in a row for me! Looking forward to it as always. This will be the first time for my gf (coming for Twisted Sister mainly).

I'm looking forward to: Twisted Sister, Diamond Head, Evil Scarecrow, Mastodon, Gojira, Fear Factory, One Machine, Slayer, Anthrax, Symphony X, DragonForce, Metal Allegiance and Pythia so far.

There's always a gem or two on the lower stages as well :)

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:42 am

i0th wrote:It's the strongest BOA line-up there's been for years, fucking bring it on!

Towards the end of last year I might have said that, then they started filling up key slots on the mainstage with dogshit no one cared about 20 years ago (Stuck Mojo, Misery Loves Co.), filled the lower down slots of main stage with metal core crap (Unearth, Cambion) and put a load of nondescript crap on the Sophie stage. What started out as a great bill is now looking distinctly average.

Although it's nice to see they've put Stuck Mojo, Misery Loves Co. and Corrosion Of Conformity all in a line on the main stage, extended break having beer at the campsite there then!

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:05 am

i0th wrote:It's the strongest BOA line-up there's been for years, fucking bring it on!

Whilst I am looking forward to BOA and sometimes think the moaning on these forums does go a bit too far, that statement really isn't true.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:25 am

I am excited about seeing a lot of the bands that were first announced. I bought my ticket when Twisted Sister were named and Anthrax would also have sealed the deal for me as I missed the 2015 tour.

The difference for me is that last year the undercard was great and the headliners were crap. This year the headliners and bigger name bands first announced are great but the undercard looks poor (so far).

I spent almost all of BOA 2015 in the arena running between the stages but I can see I will be spending more time this year with friends in the campsite or in the VIP bar.

None of the above is a complaint, it is just going to be different for me this year as there are fewer must see bands - but those must see bands I am totally stoked about seeing.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:58 am

Personally I think it's a very poor line up. Particularly mainstage.

If all of those bands were playing their own gigs in Liverpool then I would pay to see less than ten of them. Seeing as I go to approximately 50 or 60 major* Heavy Metal gigs a year (including five or six festivals) then that's shockingly bad. If it wasn't for Twisted Sister then I possibly would consider giving it a miss for the first time.

*As opposed to "my mates band in the pub" or tribute acts. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:38 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:If all of those bands were playing their own gigs in Liverpool then I would pay to see less than ten of them. Seeing as I go to approximately 50 or 60 major* Heavy Metal gigs a year (including five or six festivals) then that's shockingly bad. If it wasn't for Twisted Sister then I possibly would consider giving it a miss for the first time.

Exactly the same as me. I'd buy a ticket for 3 main stage bands were they playing in London. With perhaps another 3 that I might go to if I was feeling generous or if they were playing with other bands I wanted to see. This year is all about Twisted Sister, really.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

phuqsticks
Consort of the Beast

Postby phuqsticks » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:16 pm

Exactly the same as me. I'd buy a ticket for 3 main stage bands were they playing in London. With perhaps another 3 that I might go to if I was feeling generous or if they were playing with other bands I wanted to see. This year is all about Twisted Sister, really.[/quote]

Must admit I've wondered whether Bloodstock spent a fortune to book Twisted Sister knowing they would sell a stack of tickets on their own, leaving less to spend on the rest of the bill. Don't suppose I was the only one to make a decision about buying a ticket solely because of Twisted Sister and without considering what else was to be added.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:00 am

There's 5 bands I'd pay to see on their own - but 3 of those I've seen in the last 12 months or so, with the times I've seen Paradise Lost must be into double figures. Another 8 are 'I'm happy with as part of a festival line up', the others I'm not bothered about either way.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:46 pm

On the main stage there are 4 I’d make an effort to see (Twisted Sister, Slayer, Anthrax and, at a push, Venom (I wouldn’t travel to see this line up but I would the reformed original one)). I’ve seen Slayer and Anthrax countless time so I can’t say I’m greatly excited about seeing them again…although I’ve travelled to see them plenty of times before I probably wouldn’t do so again unless they were on a really good package bill.

I’d watch Behemoth, Ghost Bath, Symphony X, Satyricon and possibly Dragonforce if they played locally (the latter only because we’re kinda starved for gigs in this part of the world, I’m not particularly bothered about them). The rest I wouldn’t cross the road for. I’m not really a fan of Behemoth either tbh.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:34 pm

Must See= 5
Excited to See= 12
Might see= 11
Avoid= 4

When I consider travel, cost of individual ticket and the annoyance of trying to fit those gigs around work; BOA is great value for me

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:06 pm

Must see = Twisted Sister, Anthrax, Behemoth, Acid Reign.

There are a good few other bands I want to see again - such as Slayer, Paradise Lost, Fear Factory, Diamond Head.

On the basis that there are at least 10 bands I am happy to see, it works out as good value for me. Any single gig in Glasgow (not counting gig ticket costs)is £10 train fare plus a £12 taxi home as the last bus has gone so I can't get to my home town from the nearest station. That is before any food or merch costs.