The Official "Okay, Now I'm getting excited!" Thread

August 11-14, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
tmcgoay
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Re: The Official "Okay, Now I'm getting excited!" Thread

Postby tmcgoay » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:20 pm

so far 13 bands i want to see and only 3/4 i will avoid.
BOA '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `18, '19
Beermageddon '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `17, `18, '19
SRS '12
EMFA '20

http://www.pandemoniumclub.co.uk/
http://www.beermageddon.co.uk/

Green Man III
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man III » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:28 pm

I was sold at Venom and going to Bloodstock again. Then Twisted Sister and Slayer got added and it was a done deal. I'm also quite excited to see Satyricon (hope they wear the make up) perform Nemesis Divina.

Unlike you guys who live in England and have the luxury to choose every year if you want to go to Bloodstock depending on the announcements - I take whatever opportunity I can. I'm pretty sure that if I lived in England, I'd be going to Bloodstock every year.

So, loads of cider and being surrounded by metal for a whole long weekend....fuck yeah!

Killing_time
Paster of Muppets

Postby Killing_time » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:05 pm

Looking forward to the saturday Mastodon, Gojira, Fear Factory, Paradise Lost, Rotting Christ are more than worth the day ticket price! Think we've got another 2 bands to go on saturday main so might end up with some more :)

Death to Power Pop!! It should go down with the sinking ship that is Download festival.

Hotchilidog
Powermetal Child

Postby Hotchilidog » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:22 am

Nice to see I'm not the only one excited. Twisted Sister's final UK appearance is the big draw and I was at their early marquee shows so the circle will definitely close on that one for me, it should be emotional.

Also excited about Behemoth doing the Satanist, Mastodon, Gojira, my first look at Rotting Christ, Paradise Lost, the back on form Slayer and Anthrax, Satyricon aswell as my first introduction to Ghostbath.

Plenty more on the bill to keep me interested too. Not too mention all the beer and the general good atmosphere that permeates throughout the festival. Cannot wait!

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:26 pm

Started putting stuff in my rucksack last night. Mainly because my loft is a total mess and if I don't pack stuff when I find it I will never see it again in time for BOA.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:34 pm

i0th wrote:I've currently got 22 bands I want to see from 34 announced (not checked the 4 from today yet). 65%....can't complain about that hit rate. Only 5 I'll actively avoid too.

Well, I suppose at least it's good for someone. I have a generous 9 out of 34. Which is a pretty poor hit rate.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:02 am

Tet wrote:
i0th wrote:I've currently got 22 bands I want to see from 34 announced (not checked the 4 from today yet). 65%....can't complain about that hit rate. Only 5 I'll actively avoid too.

Well, I suppose at least it's good for someone. I have a generous 9 out of 34. Which is a pretty poor hit rate.

Wow 22! I don't think I've ever had that high hit rate!
9 is not great but I've been to festivals for less!

Green Man III
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man III » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:58 pm

I make a point to regularly youtube bands I don't know that have been announced and right now, quite liking a song I found by Pythia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR8VoVoSXso

Gets me all excited to think about all the great new music I'll be discovering.

Oh, and all the booze I can drink all weekend long. No other time in the year do I get to drink so much alcohol.

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:18 am

Ok so I had a Bloodstock listening party last night to check out bands I haven't heard and to rediscover others, here's what I thought -

Vallenfyre - Really like them, best discovery yet for me, look forward to seeing them
Misery Loves Co - alot better than I expected considering all the negativity on here, I take back what I said, maybe not mainstage material but having given them a proper listen I enjoyed them and will check them out, I'm a sucker for 90s stuff though
Acid Reign - better than I thought they were going to be, thought they might have been a bit of a comedy band but instead I discovered a great classic thrash band, look forward to seeing them!
Gojira - can't get into these, manage to be both technical and simple at the same time aswell as both unique and generic! Will give them a miss unless I get dragged to them!
X11 Boar - southern rock n roll, not my thing find it really boring, will give them miss
The Charm The Fury - I don't like to be negative but bloody awful! I'll avoid
Meta-Stasis - sound like early Slipknot just not as good, not bothered
Brutai - nothing positive to say here, awful, I'll avoid
Rotting Christ - find it difficult to get into these guys, maybe more listening is required.
Cambion - generic modern metal, not mainstage material, will happily avoid
One Machine - sound good if a tiny bit generic and melodic for my tastes, will probably watch though, Steve Smyth s a demon on guitar! Can see this band getting bigger
This is Turin - somehow manage to combine modern death metal with hardcore but without really being deathcore and without deathcores redeeming feature - it's catchyness, typical modern extreme metal, really didn't like the vocals, I'll give them a miss
The King is Blind - capable modern death metal but nothing really stands out, not too bothered
Krysthia - almost a carbon copy of Meshuggah, can't be bothered with that
Symphony x - alot better than I was expecting, perfectly decent band if not my prefered kind of thing, may check them out
Dragonforce - still very much not my thing
Unearth - have the odd riff but really don't like the vocals and am not keen on this kind of thing, I'll happily miss
Ghostbath - did not capture me
Pythia - not my thing but good at what they do, can see this being great for alot of people into this kind of thing
Memoriam - no real material to go on, but they sound like they're right up my street! Look forward to catching these guys!
Derange - different but didn't really like, I'll give them a miss
Witch Sorrow - Black Sabbath worship and done very well, will hopefully watch
Mastadon - not that keen on the newer material but was good to rediscover their older stuff, hope they play 'March of the Fire Ants' that song is huge! Probably won't watch their whole set because I reckon they could drag on, and they will probably clash with Acid Reign
Diamond Head - it's really nice to hear some proper heavy metal! With all the modern bands with the same compressed, clean and over-saturated production and guitar tones, its great to go back to listening to something raw and characterful, full of great songs and riffs. I think they have appeal far beyond just the one big hit, I've heard before but giving them a proper listen was great, hope they can have this same effect live, look forward to them!
Some of the bands I didn't do too much research on because I was quickly turned off but I did find quite a few gems, so was definitely worth while, and look forward to checking out more.
Sorry for the mega essay! And thanks for reading!

bloodblind
Consort of the Beast

Postby bloodblind » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:50 pm

Warlock we need to drink some liqour and beers at bloodstock because I would say ditto to all the above. I'll be watching One Machine when Gojira are on as I would only watch Gojira if nothing else is on! I listen to them but they just kind of don't hit the spot for me either

bloodblind
Consort of the Beast

Postby bloodblind » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:54 pm

Green Man III wrote:I make a point to regularly youtube bands I don't know that have been announced and right now, quite liking a song I found by Pythia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR8VoVoSXso

Gets me all excited to think about all the great new music I'll be discovering.

Oh, and all the booze I can drink all weekend long. No other time in the year do I get to drink so much alcohol.

Pythia sound quite good actually :yes:

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:22 pm

Memorium aside as there isn't any material to go on, I'd have to say it's a 3 way tie between Akercocke, Ghostbath and Symphony X as discovery of the festival. Always gets me a bit hyped up when I think of the great new bands I've found through the festival.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:14 pm

Warlock wrote:Pythia - not my thing but good at what they do, can see this being great for alot of people into this kind of thing

I'd say closer to "good but not great". They're very much a low-to-mid-tier band in the genre. They have a few fans, but not much in the way of widespread popularity, and there are probably reasons for that. That said, they're a far better band now than they were when they had Emily singing, which is something. But I can still think of plenty of bands playing in that style that would have appeased fans of that style (myself included!) more than Pythia.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

phuqsticks
Consort of the Beast

Postby phuqsticks » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:07 am

Tet wrote:
Warlock wrote:Pythia - not my thing but good at what they do, can see this being great for alot of people into this kind of thing

I'd say closer to "good but not great". They're very much a low-to-mid-tier band in the genre. They have a few fans, but not much in the way of widespread popularity, and there are probably reasons for that. That said, they're a far better band now than they were when they had Emily singing, which is something. But I can still think of plenty of bands playing in that style that would have appeased fans of that style (myself included!) more than Pythia.

Really? I loved the previous incarnation, so ideally I'd love to check out this version. However, despite being the only band announced so far for the Sophie Stage that I've got any interest in, it looks as though they will be clashing with something else I'll want to see on the main stage. :rolleyes:

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:51 am

Warlock wrote:This is Turin - somehow manage to combine modern death metal with hardcore but without really being deathcore and without deathcores redeeming feature - it's catchyness, typical modern extreme metal, really didn't like the vocals, I'll give them a miss