2017 Headliner Predictions

August 11-14, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
User avatar
Tet
Denim Demon
Posts: 8780
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:09 pm
Location: Harrow
Contact:

Re: 2017 Headliner Predictions

Postby Tet » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:16 pm

Warlock wrote:can't think of any more classic headliners unless they bring back WASP or Megadeth

WASP aren't big enough to headline any more. If they returned, they'd be special guests at best.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

User avatar
VizardAmata
Denim Demon
Posts: 3918
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Behind You
Contact:

Re: 2017 Headliner Predictions

Postby VizardAmata » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:31 am

Warlock wrote:I could see Emperor being bumped down to special guests a bit like Behemoth, as they wouldn't be such a rarity, and having Amon Amarth above them headlining


I dunno, while Emperor did play before, they're not active anymore and this could potentially be the last time they play for a long, long time. I'd still put them in a headliner slot, especially since Amon Amarth tour regularly.

If A.A headline, I can see them on a different day.

User avatar
Warlock
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1008
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:19 am

Re: 2017 Headliner Predictions

Postby Warlock » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:45 am

Tet wrote:
Warlock wrote:can't think of any more classic headliners unless they bring back WASP or Megadeth

WASP aren't big enough to headline any more. If they returned, they'd be special guests at best.


Yeah true actually your probably right

VizardAmata wrote:
Warlock wrote:I could see Emperor being bumped down to special guests a bit like Behemoth, as they wouldn't be such a rarity, and having Amon Amarth above them headlining


I dunno, while Emperor did play before, they're not active anymore and this could potentially be the last time they play for a long, long time. I'd still put them in a headliner slot, especially since Amon Amarth tour regularly.

If A.A headline, I can see them on a different day.


I'm not sure what you mean by not active? Are these Emperor shows one offs? You may be right but they seem kinda small for a headliner now to me, but I certainly wouldn't be complaining! Maybe co headline?!

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 4935
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: 2017 Headliner Predictions

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:38 am

It all depends on whether you think that a band that hasn't toured this century is active or not. :P
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
VizardAmata
Denim Demon
Posts: 3918
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Behind You
Contact:

Re: 2017 Headliner Predictions

Postby VizardAmata » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:45 am

I just mean they aren't actually together anymore, the shows are one offs and each one is potentially the last one. They've said they won't be making any more music or touring properly.

I wouldn't call Emperor small in Bloodstock standards, BOA hasn't increased that much in size since they headlined and the band are still a rarity. I've seen Amon Amarth about three times without even trying.

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4006
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: 2017 Headliner Predictions

Postby houston4044 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:25 am

VizardAmata wrote:I just mean they aren't actually together anymore, the shows are one offs and each one is potentially the last one. They've said they won't be making any more music or touring properly.


Good tactic to keep your band's draw high. I'd imagine if they play Welkin in full this year then this would be the last time they could headline, any subsequent appearances would be sub slots

VizardAmata wrote:I wouldn't call Emperor small in Bloodstock standards, BOA hasn't increased that much in size since they headlined and the band are still a rarity. I've seen Amon Amarth about three times without even trying.


This year apparently sold very well so I don't know if they'd increase capacity off of that

User avatar
VizardAmata
Denim Demon
Posts: 3918
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Behind You
Contact:

Re: 2017 Headliner Predictions

Postby VizardAmata » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:54 am

Well, there's only two albums left, but would the draw be as big for IX Equilibrium and Prometheus? Doubtful.

Most would consider Nightside and Anthems the classic "must see" albums. I don't see them touring much after the Welkin shows, if at all.

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 4935
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: 2017 Headliner Predictions

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:33 am

houston4044 wrote:This year apparently sold very well so I don't know if they'd increase capacity off of that


They always come out with shite like that.

I reckon it was the poorest attendance since at least 2010. If not earlier. Probably less because of all those fucking chairs.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
someone else
Denim Demon
Posts: 5911
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Chester, UK
Contact:

Re: 2017 Headliner Predictions

Postby someone else » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:52 am

I don't know about that - for once it seemed justified as the crowds for the likes of Anthrax and Gojira seemed bigger that it had for a few years - including headliners. Mastodon was very poor by comparison.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4006
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: 2017 Headliner Predictions

Postby houston4044 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:37 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
houston4044 wrote:This year apparently sold very well so I don't know if they'd increase capacity off of that


They always come out with shite like that.

I reckon it was the poorest attendance since at least 2010. If not earlier. Probably less because of all those fucking chairs.


someone else wrote:I don't know about that - for once it seemed justified as the crowds for the likes of Anthrax and Gojira seemed bigger that it had for a few years - including headliners. Mastodon was very poor by comparison.


While I can't comment on overall tickets sold, I agree that it did feel alot busier than it has for the past few years (barring Sabaton in '14). Even the crowds for non-headliner bands such as Fear Factory and Venom seemed pretty large

User avatar
Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2207
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Somewhere crap

Re: 2017 Headliner Predictions

Postby Skippy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:10 pm

Seemed pretty empty to me. Might have been because so many of the bands I watched weren't exactly the big draws, but I got to the front for the likes of Mastodon, Gojira, Paradise Lost and Symphony X really easily. Sister and Slayer seemed quite full though, but only really those two, the rest all seemed emptier than the earlier years. That might be because the crowd is spread over more stages though, or maybe people all just stay back at the campsite these days.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

User avatar
VizardAmata
Denim Demon
Posts: 3918
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Behind You
Contact:

Re: 2017 Headliner Predictions

Postby VizardAmata » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:36 am

Seemed about the same as last year, or a little busier. But not hugely.

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4006
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: 2017 Headliner Predictions

Postby houston4044 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:28 pm

I found the top 4 acts (apart from maybe Venom) to have larger crowds than the top 3 from last year (apart from Sabaton), maybe I was just in a crowded area but I thought it was a lot more busy. Although that probably says more about the poor quality of the upper card this year as much as the quality of this year's