How many more bands?

August 11-14, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Re: How many more bands?

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:59 pm

Warlock wrote:Same here really it's best not too have too much on anyway as you'd just get exhausted! I'm not doing any timetable stuff yet until it's all set in stone!

Bloomin' hell. We haven't half got some lightweights going to festivals nowadays. :P
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

pinhead0303
Consort of the Beast

Postby pinhead0303 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:37 pm

Just noticed that Metal Hammer have announced the rest of the Metal 2 The Masses bands, which I've noticed hasn't got all the bands people have mentioned as winning/qualifying so I guess there will still be a Jagermeister stage; I was starting to wonder. It's got:

End of Salvation
Redeye Revival
Regulus
The Face of Ruin
Gutlocker
Kahtet
The John Doe's Burial
Valous
Chronicles
Firebomb
Footprints in the Custard

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:57 pm

I take it that Footprints In The Custard won the Hobgoblin thing as I don't think they were in the MTTM.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:46 pm

Slev wrote:Just thinking...
6 bands per day on the Jager last year, so hoping for 7 bands per day this year.

Think I heard 6 a day/18 in one of the live chat things.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:48 pm

pinhead0303 wrote:Just noticed that Metal Hammer have announced the rest of the Metal 2 The Masses bands
[...]
Gutlocker

Oh dear. They haven't won the Reading M2TM in the past and frankly I'd say it was because they simply weren't good enough.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

pinhead0303
Consort of the Beast

Postby pinhead0303 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:54 pm

Tet wrote:
pinhead0303 wrote:Just noticed that Metal Hammer have announced the rest of the Metal 2 The Masses bands
[...]
Gutlocker

Oh dear. They haven't won the Reading M2TM in the past and frankly I'd say it was because they simply weren't good enough.

Well I just listened to them earlier and they're definitely not good.

phuqsticks
Consort of the Beast

Postby phuqsticks » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:58 pm

I love Footprints In The Custard, but they are all kinds of wrong :) . I just hope they don't clash with Evil Scarecrow or Gloryhammer.

phuqsticks
Consort of the Beast

Postby phuqsticks » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:25 pm

i0th wrote:Had never heard of Footprints in the Custard, after 15 minutes on Youtube I now really want to see them!

Ha! 'Every STD in the book'and 'Party metal' are the 2 obvious video starting points. Apparently live they have a tendency to wear mankinis, cross dress and get naked.

Here's a few words I scribbled recently about their latest album. http://iwannawearblack.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... cency.html

Slev
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Slev » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:07 pm

i0th wrote:7 would be good but ultimately depends on them leaving a big enough gap between the RJD acts as when that stage is on you can't hear Jager at all.

Theoretically, this can get as high as 8 bands playing in the RJD changeover.

With teh announced 6 per day, this year we're at 116 bands for the weekend, plus any in the VIP area.

This means that we realsitically have a limit of 122 bands with the current set-up in future years.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:37 pm

To answer the question "How many more bands?".

It might seem controversial to some, but in my opinion there are simply too many bands. I would prefer it if they concentrated on quality over quantity.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:28 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:To answer the question "How many more bands?".

It might seem controversial to some, but in my opinion there are simply too many bands. I would prefer it if they concentrated on quality over quantity.

To play devil's advocate, if they went for quality over quantity what happens if they book 2 big black/groove metal bands at the expense of say 4 power metal bands? I know it's not representative of the audience as a whole but even the smaller power/folk metal bands are met with a good reception on here, if you go for quality you'll likely to lose those bands.

I say strike a balance but edge more on the quantity side of things, chances are you might find the odd gem here and there.

tmcgoay
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby tmcgoay » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:28 pm

i0th wrote:

You could drop Sophie to 11 each day and have them playing in the RJD gaps (with small overlaps either side) would avoid any huge clashing, could kill the Jager stage though.

with the variety of sub-genres there shouldn't really be too much problem caused by clashes and the ability of the organisers to ensure that two of the same weren't playing at the same time
BOA '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `18, '19
Beermageddon '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `17, `18, '19
SRS '12
EMFA '20

http://www.pandemoniumclub.co.uk/
http://www.beermageddon.co.uk/

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:47 pm

houston4044 wrote:

To play devil's advocate, if they went for quality over quantity what happens if they book 2 big black/groove metal bands at the expense of say 4 power metal bands? I know it's not representative of the audience as a whole but even the smaller power/folk metal bands are met with a good reception on here, if you go for quality you'll likely to lose those bands.

I say strike a balance but edge more on the quantity side of things, chances are you might find the odd gem here and there.

Eh? If you go for quality then those bands would still be there, it's the filler that will be gone. Not that we ever get four quality Power Metal bands anymore....

If you get rid of about ten bands a day then there would be fewer clashes and bands will get longer sets. It seems to be a competition on how many bands you can book rather than getting better bands.

It's not like collecting Pokémon. :P

pinhead0303
Consort of the Beast

Postby pinhead0303 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:06 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
houston4044 wrote:

Eh? If you go for quality then those bands would still be there, it's the filler that will be gone. Not that we ever get four quality Power Metal bands anymore....

If you get rid of about ten bands a day then there would be fewer clashes and bands will get longer sets. It seems to be a competition on how many bands you can book rather than getting better bands.

I think the point was that there wouldn't be any Power Metal bands of a high enough quality, never mind four! :P :lol:

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:21 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:
houston4044 wrote:

wrong end of the stick completly :lol:

You complain there are too many black/groove etc bands but you are also asking the same people to book less bands overall but bigger bands. My point is that if they do as you say chances are they'll keep the ratio of black/groove bands but your going to have less chance of finding an alternative you like because there are going to be less bands playing at the same time...

To put it another way, if you got rid of the New Blood and Jager stages when Kill ii This are playing you're going to have 1 not 2 alternatives to choose from; you would only compound your own problem of there being nothing to watch :lol: