Late night entertainment on the SL stage

August 11-14, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
tmcgoay
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Late night entertainment on the SL stage

Postby tmcgoay » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:03 pm

When do you think we'll get to hear what "entertainment" is lined up for the SL stage when the bands are finished for the day. Over the last couple of years it has varied. No doubt soon there will be a thread blaming the DJ's for all the problems in the world because they played "walk". Other years we've had stand up comedians which seemed popular to the not-quite-so-popular "Bloodstock's got talent" and Karaoke. What surprises do you think we might have this year? and what might work?
BOA '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `18
Beermageddon '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `17, `18
SRS '12

http://www.pandemoniumclub.co.uk/
http://www.beermageddon.co.uk/

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Re: Late night entertainment on the SL stage

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:35 am

Nah, you're alright. I don't think I'll bother with any of the crap that they think is entertaining. That includes unfunny "comedians", pole dancers with rubbish tattoos that you can see in every town in the country on a Friday night, karaoke, fancy dress competitions and DJs that play the same five songs constantly.

Walk is the tip of the iceberg when you get complete and utter dross like RATM and Queen. And then they complain that you are picking on them when they can't understand that people that attend BOA aren't quite the same people that attend their local Rock club. The average Bloodstock attendees are much more knowledgeable about music than are given credit.

I'll be sodding off to my tent instead. Pity really as I don't mind putting a few quid over the bar for a few pints rather than be tucked up in bed by midnight. But if you are playing crap then I would prefer to sit it out and have a few cans instead.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

bloodofthekings
Leather Rebel

Postby bloodofthekings » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:48 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Nah, you're alright. I don't think I'll bother with any of the crap that they think is entertaining. That includes unfunny "comedians", pole dancers with rubbish tattoos that you can see in every town in the country on a Friday night, karaoke, fancy dress competitions and DJs that play the same five songs constantly.

Walk is the tip of the iceberg when you get complete and utter dross like RATM and Queen. And then they complain that you are picking on them when they can't understand that people that attend BOA aren't quite the same people that attend their local Rock club. The average Bloodstock attendees are much more knowledgeable about music than are given credit.

I'll be sodding off to my tent instead. Pity really as I don't mind putting a few quid over the bar for a few pints rather than be tucked up in bed by midnight. But if you are playing crap then I would prefer to sit it out and have a few cans instead.

That's a bit of an elitist view. If it ain't your thing then fine but I wouldn't class hating on certain songs because they're popular and requesting obscure album tracks by extreme metal bands as "knowledgeable". I'm not saying the 4DJsOTA (or whatever name they're calling themselves these days) are perfect but I can't blame them for playing quite a few of the standard rock club floor-fillers as even the most po-faced, metaller-than-thou elitists are often happy to dance the night away to Pantera and Rage Against the Machine when they're pissed.
We stay in a hotel at Bloodstock so I don't have much experience of the late night entertainment but whenever I have walked past the tent and I've heard the standard rock-club metal songs, the tent seems to be reasonably busy - as long as people keep populating the tent for them, then their sets won't change. If they're playing stuff like Pantera and RATM and the tent's empty then fine, they obviously need to change it up, but I doubt that's the case.

*On a side note, if what people have said about the DJs playing the same song more than once in a night that is a massive DJ faux-pas and they should be rightly criticised for that. They can't use the excuse of "oh, it's multiple DJs so there's bound to be repeat songs" - just write down what you've played so the next person doesn't duplicate it, it's not hard.

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:21 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:*On a side note, if what people have said about the DJs playing the same song more than once in a night that is a massive DJ faux-pas and they should be rightly criticised for that. They can't use the excuse of "oh, it's multiple DJs so there's bound to be repeat songs" - just write down what you've played so the next person doesn't duplicate it, it's not hard.

I guess the problem here is you have 13000 in attendance and not all of them are in the tent on the same night. So if you play Angel of Death on the Friday and then get 15 requests for it from a completely different set of people on Saturday night its tempting to give them what they want.

bloodofthekings
Leather Rebel

Postby bloodofthekings » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:38 pm

Cassius wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:*On a side note, if what people have said about the DJs playing the same song more than once in a night that is a massive DJ faux-pas and they should be rightly criticised for that. They can't use the excuse of "oh, it's multiple DJs so there's bound to be repeat songs" - just write down what you've played so the next person doesn't duplicate it, it's not hard.

I guess the problem here is you have 13000 in attendance and not all of them are in the tent on the same night. So if you play Angel of Death on the Friday and then get 15 requests for it from a completely different set of people on Saturday night its tempting to give them what they want.

On different nights is fine, but more than once in the same night is just careless DJing.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:04 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:That's a bit of an elitist view. If it ain't your thing then fine but I wouldn't class hating on certain songs because they're popular and requesting obscure album tracks by extreme metal bands as "knowledgeable". I'm not saying the 4DJsOTA (or whatever name they're calling themselves these days) are perfect but I can't blame them for playing quite a few of the standard rock club floor-fillers as even the most po-faced, metaller-than-thou elitists are often happy to dance the night away to Pantera and Rage Against the Machine when they're pissed.
We stay in a hotel at Bloodstock so I don't have much experience of the late night entertainment but whenever I have walked past the tent and I've heard the standard rock-club metal songs, the tent seems to be reasonably busy - as long as people keep populating the tent for them, then their sets won't change. If they're playing stuff like Pantera and RATM and the tent's empty then fine, they obviously need to change it up, but I doubt that's the case.

*On a side note, if what people have said about the DJs playing the same song more than once in a night that is a massive DJ faux-pas and they should be rightly criticised for that. They can't use the excuse of "oh, it's multiple DJs so there's bound to be repeat songs" - just write down what you've played so the next person doesn't duplicate it, it's not hard.

Yes. But it's a Heavy Metal festival not a Rock festival. If it was a festival booking bands such as Queen, RATM, Foo Fighters, etc. then I can understand them playing that stuff. What's next? Lionel Ritchie? Dolly Parton? I've seen people wearing T shirts of both of those at BOA. :lol:

I don't think I actually mentioned obscure Extreme Metal bands. I like a bit of that, but I'm more thinking towards classic bands such as Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, etc. mixed in with some Extreme stuff such as Obituary and Napalm Death and more modern melodic bands such as Sabaton and Glory Hammer. Even just picking bands that have actually played the festival then you have hundreds of bands to choose from. How many hours do they need to fill? Twenty or so at most. You could play twenty hours of Iron Maiden songs without repeating one. :lol: Maybe the DJs could actually look at the type of bands that are playing the festival rather than what goes down well in their "club night" in whatever small town they come from (can't remember, but I think it was Basildon :P ).

It's a festival that has headliners such as King Diamond, Emperor, Behemoth and Slayer just to mention a few bands. Hardly obscure bands. If you think that bands at BOA are obscure then you are probably at the wrong festival. If you really think that liking bands of that ilk is being "elitist" then I think you need to have a good look around at the T shirts that people are wearing. I've seen vastly more Bathory shirts and patches than Queen or RATM ones, for example. I honestly feel that most BOA goers are quite well up on the bands they go to see. Even relatively small bands get a good crowd.

You state that you don't stay on site, but most of us have no choice. So we get a bunch of DJs playing typical "Rock Club" songs from a setlist that probably hasn't changed from the mid 1990s when just by a bit of common sense they could make it a night to remember rather than "OH NO! Not this song again!". Or you go back to your tent. I prefer not to be tucked up in bed by midnight when I'm at a festival.

What they play may be suitable for Download, but it's not quite right for Bloodstock. It could be worse, it could be Krusher playing his Industrial Remix crap again. That's how you clear a tent in five minutes. :lol:

I'm trying not to get personal about this as they are probably decent blokes. It's just that the set up needs a revamp.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

bloodofthekings
Leather Rebel

Postby bloodofthekings » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:22 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:That's a bit of an elitist view. If it ain't your thing then fine but I wouldn't class hating on certain songs because they're popular and requesting obscure album tracks by extreme metal bands as "knowledgeable". I'm not saying the 4DJsOTA (or whatever name they're calling themselves these days) are perfect but I can't blame them for playing quite a few of the standard rock club floor-fillers as even the most po-faced, metaller-than-thou elitists are often happy to dance the night away to Pantera and Rage Against the Machine when they're pissed.

Yes. But it's a Heavy Metal festival not a Rock festival. If it was a festival booking bands such as Queen, RATM, Foo Fighters, etc. then I can understand them playing that stuff. What's next? Lionel Ritchie? Dolly Parton? I've seen people wearing T shirts of both of those at BOA. :lol:

I don't think I actually mentioned obscure Extreme Metal bands. I like a bit of that, but I'm more thinking towards classic bands such as Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, etc. mixed in with some Extreme stuff such as Obituary and Napalm Death and more modern melodic bands such as Sabaton and Glory Hammer. Even just picking bands that have actually played the festival then you have hundreds of bands to choose from. How many hours do they need to fill? Twenty or so at most. You could play twenty hours of Iron Maiden songs without repeating one. :lol: Maybe the DJs could actually look at the type of bands that are playing the festival rather than what goes down well in their "club night" in whatever small town they come from (can't remember, but I think it was Basildon :P ).

It's a festival that has headliners such as King Diamond, Emperor, Behemoth and Slayer just to mention a few bands. Hardly obscure bands. If you think that bands at BOA are obscure then you are probably at the wrong festival. If you really think that liking bands of that ilk is being "elitist" then I think you need to have a good look around at the T shirts that people are wearing. I've seen vastly more Bathory shirts and patches than Queen or RATM ones, for example. I honestly feel that most BOA goers are quite well up on the bands they go to see. Even relatively small bands get a good crowd.

You state that you don't stay on site, but most of us have no choice. So we get a bunch of DJs playing typical "Rock Club" songs from a setlist that probably hasn't changed from the mid 1990s when just by a bit of common sense they could make it a night to remember rather than "OH NO! Not this song again!". Or you go back to your tent. I prefer not to be tucked up in bed by midnight when I'm at a festival.

What they play may be suitable for Download, but it's not quite right for Bloodstock. It could be worse, it could be Krusher playing his Industrial Remix crap again. That's how you clear a tent in five minutes. :lol:

I'm trying not to get personal about this as they are probably decent blokes. It's just that the set up needs a revamp.

You do make some decent points and I'd be quite intrigued to see what the set lists are from these DJs to see what kind of balance they get. My point was that even at a festival like Bloodstock which should of course have more of the heavier bands mixed in, bands like Pantera and RATM shouldn't really be classed as out of place when it comes to the late-night DJing. I'm not saying they shouldn't play bands like Emperor, Behemoth, etc. but the reaction that the DJs playing some nu-metal floor-fillers gets on this forum does seem a bit over the top. You say that it's not a rock festival but that you'd expect some Judas Priest, AC/DC, Motorhead, Iron Maiden - surely they're all what most would consider 'classic rock' bands (and I'd also put Queen in that category too so I wouldn't really class them as out of place either)? And on another side note, do they DJ's not play those classic bands? That would surprise me if they didn't. As someone who has been to the tent on a night, is it really just nu-metal, Pantera and alternative rock all night?

As for the t-shirts and patches, sure there may be plenty more Bathory imagery on people's clothing than say, Queen or Guns N Roses for example, but as I said, even the most metal of metallers will happily dance the night away to cheese when they're drunk - if you wouldn't then fair enough but a lot would.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:57 pm

Personally I've always classed Iron Maiden, Saxon, Judas Priest, etc as Heavy Metal bands not Rock. I would consider a Rock band to be the likes of The Rolling Stones, The Kinks or even The Beatles, or for modern music Franz Ferdinand or Oasis.

Classic Rock is a phrase made up by snobby music journalists that sneer at the phrase Heavy Metal. They even use the phrase when talking about newer bands. How someone like Rival Sons can be described as "Classic" when they've been going for about five years is baffling. :lol:

Queen I would consider Pop/Rock. For each "rock" song they did they also made a dozen pure Pop songs. Just because they used a song in Wayne's World doesn't mean we have to hear it, even ironically.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:41 pm

I never tried the late entertainment in the Sophie tent last year as I was normally in my tent as it had been a long day and I was tired/had more than enough to drink.

I will give the Sophie tent a shot this year but I think the VIP bar will be my 2016 haunt.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

tmcgoay
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby tmcgoay » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:09 pm

CharlesDexterWard wrote:I never tried the late entertainment in the Sophie tent last year as I was normally in my tent as it had been a long day and I was tired/had more than enough to drink.

I will give the Sophie tent a shot this year but I think the VIP bar will be my 2016 haunt.

i normally try to stick with the SL tent then go to the VIP for the rest of the night, unless there's something specific in the VIP i want to see
BOA '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `18
Beermageddon '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `17, `18
SRS '12

http://www.pandemoniumclub.co.uk/
http://www.beermageddon.co.uk/

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:39 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Yes. But it's a Heavy Metal festival not a Rock festival. If it was a festival booking bands such as Queen, RATM, Foo Fighters, etc. then I can understand them playing that stuff. What's next? Lionel Ritchie? Dolly Parton? I've seen people wearing T shirts of both of those at BOA. :lol:

It's a Metal festival. RATM and Pantera are Metal bands. Where's the problem? That is an elitist view that only the bands you like should be played and it's why the BOA community get a bad name.

Gandalf the Red wrote:I don't think I actually mentioned obscure Extreme Metal bands. I like a bit of that, but I'm more thinking towards classic bands such as Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, etc. mixed in with some Extreme stuff such as Obituary and Napalm Death and more modern melodic bands such as Sabaton and Glory Hammer.

Nobody wants to go to a club night and listen to Napalm Death and Obituary, they're not the kind of bands which attract people when they're drunk and want to dance.

Gandalf the Red wrote:It's a festival that has headliners such as King Diamond, Emperor, Behemoth and Slayer just to mention a few bands. Hardly obscure bands. If you think that bands at BOA are obscure then you are probably at the wrong festival. If you really think that liking bands of that ilk is being "elitist" then I think you need to have a good look around at the T shirts that people are wearing.

BOA has gotten bigger in recent years due to the change of direction, not by being elitist and thinking that only extreme metal bands are worthy. If the festival booked bands based on some people's obscure tastes; the festival would have folded years ago. This is why the Metal community get such a hard time; there's those that think any band after 1989 is terrible and those that think anything that has had commercial success is terrible. It's interesting to note that the announcements of bands such as Stuck Mojo have gone down well with the mass public not on these forums. What does that tell you.

I find it baffling that anyone can moan about an event putting on additional entertainment to keep people happy. Karaoke, DJ's, Wrestling, Burlesque, it's all good.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:53 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:What's next? Lionel Ritchie?

Ha ha. A few years back, the DJs in the VIP tent played Lionel Ritchie. It was fantastic and received an amazing response from the crowd (yes, it was a fun song thrown in to an otherwise largely metal set, but it does show that there's potentially some scope for a bit of variety, so long as it's not too excessive).
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:06 am

metalicbear wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:Yes. But it's a Heavy Metal festival not a Rock festival. If it was a festival booking bands such as Queen, RATM, Foo Fighters, etc. then I can understand them playing that stuff. What's next? Lionel Ritchie? Dolly Parton? I've seen people wearing T shirts of both of those at BOA. :lol:

It's a Metal festival. RATM and Pantera are Metal bands. Where's the problem? That is an elitist view that only the bands you like should be played and it's why the BOA community get a bad name.

Rage Against The Machine are not a Heavy Metal band. They are an Alternative Rock band that anyone over the age of thirteen should be embarrassed by listening to. Seriously, it's not big and clever to swear. "Fuck You I won't do what you tell Me"? Are they twelve? :lol: They never actually played with Metal bands even when starting out. In fact they hated Heavy Metal.

Pantera may be a Heavy Metal band (I didn't say they weren't), but the fact that the original complaints were about the DJs playing the same song five times a night, every night, then I hope never to listen to them ever again.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:11 am

metalicbear wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:I don't think I actually mentioned obscure Extreme Metal bands. I like a bit of that, but I'm more thinking towards classic bands such as Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, etc. mixed in with some Extreme stuff such as Obituary and Napalm Death and more modern melodic bands such as Sabaton and Glory Hammer.

Nobody wants to go to a club night and listen to Napalm Death and Obituary, they're not the kind of bands which attract people when they're drunk and want to dance.

So only people that want to dance should get music they like played? What about the other people that just want to have a few drinks and relax listening to good music after spending 14 hours watching bands. I've heard Napalm Death and Obituary many times in nightclubs, maybe you should start going to better clubs. :P

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:42 am

metalicbear wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:It's a festival that has headliners such as King Diamond, Emperor, Behemoth and Slayer just to mention a few bands. Hardly obscure bands. If you think that bands at BOA are obscure then you are probably at the wrong festival. If you really think that liking bands of that ilk is being "elitist" then I think you need to have a good look around at the T shirts that people are wearing.

BOA has gotten bigger in recent years due to the change of direction, not by being elitist and thinking that only extreme metal bands are worthy. If the festival booked bands based on some people's obscure tastes; the festival would have folded years ago. This is why the Metal community get such a hard time; there's those that think any band after 1989 is terrible and those that think anything that has had commercial success is terrible. It's interesting to note that the announcements of bands such as Stuck Mojo have gone down well with the mass public not on these forums. What does that tell you.

Part of my original quote was

Gandalf the Red wrote:I don't think I actually mentioned obscure Extreme Metal bands.

Which I didn't.

Why does everyone think that everyone that dislikes knuckledragging bands such as Pantera automatically assume that everyone likes Extreme bands? Yes. Pantera are a bunch of knuckledraggers, just listen to Phil Anselmo's recent rants.

Hmm, everything released after 1989? You mean the vast majority of Death Metal, Black Metal, Power Metal, Folk Metal, Melodeath, Symphonic Metal, Gothic Metal, FFM, etc. The stuff that the festival has featured since the beginning before they started to book crap Hardcore and Rap "Metal" bands.

Stuck Mojo has gone down well with the mass public? Where's the evidence of that? I haven't met anyone that even knows who they are, apart from people who have bad memories of them being on MTV. Certainly not the "mass public". Even back in the day they were playing small venues like Bradford Rios, I doubt they would even be that big now. :lol:

BOA has gotten bigger in recent years due to the change of direction, not by being elitist and thinking that only extreme metal bands are worthy. If the festival booked bands based on some people's obscure tastes; the festival would have folded years ago.

All the bands that I mentioned have played in recent years (two of them are actually playing this year). So I don't understand this point. And as I pointed out earlier I didn't actually mention Extreme Metal bands.