Late night entertainment on the SL stage

August 11-14, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Re: Late night entertainment on the SL stage

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:37 am

Karaoke is fun sometimes if the people can actually sing, but usually just a tuneless drunken mess.

As for the 4 DJs, I think we established they were crap years ago and we've complained and they've took notice, but they still play the same cack - 74 Pantera songs, punctuated with generic rock club staples and a load of nu metal crap.

I DJ regularly myself and I know I could do better, DJ-ing is all to do with knowing the audience and playing the right mix for the crowd....however we're stuck with 4 DJs, so we have to accept this is what it'll be like. I'll probably just have a beer in the tent after the bands, realise they're playing the usual crap and have an early night.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:16 am

ScrumpiesVeteran wrote:Adam, the problem is that the DJs ONLY play the generic stuff and don't have the confidence/ability to play anything different at all. If you ask if they have Edguy (a band - as you know - that has played numerous times at BOA) they look shifty and state "they will have a look". The same applies for numerous other artists.

I have been convinced in previous years that they are playing directly from a memory stick, in track order, especially as they tend to play tracks in the same order each night.

I know from the amount of hard work that you have done over the years that being a metal DJ is no easy task and a thankless one on occasions too, but unfortunately the guys at BOA just come across as lazy.

Pretty much this! My issue has been that they seem to only play the same stuff I can hear at the shitty "metal night" in my small town. You have to play some of that, sure, okay, but you need to mix it up with some other stuff. It's not even hard, you could even do it the lazy way and just play songs from bands on the sodding lineup!

I could easily come up with a playlist that would smash theirs, as have other people. The issue is, as others have said, the songs they choose to play as well as the artists. Instead of playing Enter Sandman or Master of Puppets, play Damage Inc or Fuel. Instead of playing Chop Suey play Aerials or Science!. You get my point, it's not hard to choose songs we haven't heard 10000000 times from the popular bands.

Yet I would bet we will hear Walk multiple times in a single night. They have denied they play songs multiple times in a night, but unless my ears are lying to me, I know they do this. It's laziness, pure and simple.

I would also be totally down for an EBM/Industrial/Goth alternative in the New Blood tent!

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:37 am

Gandalf's list is pretty sweet, and I think a good starting point for a set. However, I think it's a bit difficult to say what you would play (in such volume) when you don't know what is going to be requested on the night.

For example, what if the majority (say 75% ish) on one night of requests happen to be the dreaded Nu Metal scourge ( :P )? Do you ignore them? Play a token track or two? Overhaul your set for them? (After all, if it's what people want to hear, shouldn't you play it to ensure they stick around?)

Those that have DJ'd on here before, what kind of ratio of songs you choose to songs that are requested do you usually go for? (Assuming it is moderately busy and you have plenty of requests).

I've been saying for a while that the New Blood stage should stay open late(r) for a while. Maybe you could have a themed set each of Fri-Sun night? (EBM/Industrial/Goth one night Black/Death/assorted Extreme another etc)

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:43 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:Gandalf's list is pretty sweet, and I think a good starting point for a set. However, I think it's a bit difficult to say what you would play (in such volume) when you don't know what is going to be requested on the night.

For example, what if the majority (say 75% ish) on one night of requests happen to be the dreaded Nu Metal scourge ( :P )? Do you ignore them? Play a token track or two? Overhaul your set for them? (After all, if it's what people want to hear, shouldn't you play it to ensure they stick around?)

Those that have DJ'd on here before, what kind of ratio of songs you choose to songs that are requested do you usually go for? (Assuming it is moderately busy and you have plenty of requests).

I've been saying for a while that the New Blood stage should stay open late(r) for a while. Maybe you could have a themed set each of Fri-Sun night? (EBM/Industrial/Goth one night Black/Death/assorted Extreme another etc)

Not so much ignore. The punter has paid a lot of money to attend, ignoring them or being rude ruins the whole weekend for everyone. I would politely decline the request if it's not really a type of band that Bloodstock would book. Just as I would if people asked me to play other forms of music that isn't specifically catered for at Bloodstock such as Punk, Disco and Reggae. You don't go to Creamfields and ask the DJ to play a bit of Black Metal just because you like it and you've attended. You know what the answer will be. :lol:

Any setlists though should be pretty fluid. That's why any DJ worth his/her salt now has a laptop so any tracks you haven't got or obscure requests are easily obtained.

When you play a song then you make a note that you've played it and then don't play anything from them again that night. If someone is constantly asking for Iron Maiden and you've already played one by them, take a note and then do it diplomatically by telling them you'll play another song by them near the end of the set if you have time. Or ask them whether they would like an alternative, "I've already played AC/DC, would Airbourne or Rose Tattoo do?".
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:04 pm

VizardAmata wrote: you could even do it the lazy way and just play songs from bands on the sodding lineup!

I actually quite like it when the DJ at a rock night plays a track from a band is has or is soon to be playing locally, gives you that bit of added extra excitement and something to chat about with mates over a pint. I would be up for the DJ playing a Fear Factory track on the Friday for example and be like "and a bit of something to warm you up for tomorrow!" obviously don't spam the whole line up but a few bands like that would probably help improve the experience for punters.

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:51 pm

I started reading this thread then realised it's the same comments has it has been for years. Clearly nothing changes.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:51 am

houston4044 wrote:
VizardAmata wrote: you could even do it the lazy way and just play songs from bands on the sodding lineup!

I actually quite like it when the DJ at a rock night plays a track from a band is has or is soon to be playing locally, gives you that bit of added extra excitement and something to chat about with mates over a pint. I would be up for the DJ playing a Fear Factory track on the Friday for example and be like "and a bit of something to warm you up for tomorrow!" obviously don't spam the whole line up but a few bands like that would probably help improve the experience for punters.

Oh yeah, you don't just want to spew the lineup at people, but mix in some songs from bands who are playing the next day, or just played (to keep the buzz going), mix in some popular songs, and some more obscure ones. That sounds better than the cardboard cutout playlist we get each time.

tmcgoay
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby tmcgoay » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:49 pm

VizardAmata wrote:
houston4044 wrote:

Oh yeah, you don't just want to spew the lineup at people, but mix in some songs from bands who are playing the next day, or just played (to keep the buzz going), mix in some popular songs, and some more obscure ones. That sounds better than the cardboard cutout playlist we get each time.

The problem lies where you say "mix in some popular songs" what some people consider a good choice of a popular song other will consider overplayed cheesy crap. I'd quite happily hear ozzy osbourne-crazy train, dream evil-the book of heavy metal and korpiklaani-happy little boozer every night after some beers but others would hate anyone of these and could probably list other tracks by these artists that should be played
BOA '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `18
Beermageddon '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `17, `18
SRS '12

http://www.pandemoniumclub.co.uk/
http://www.beermageddon.co.uk/

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:34 pm

That was one of my points. If people are asking for Ozzy songs then you play Crazy Train on the Thursday, then on the other days you play something else by Ozzy.

For example.

Bark At The Moon on Friday, No More Tears on Saturday and Mister Crowley on Sunday

Just examples off the top of my head. With a back catalogue the size of Ozzy Osbourne's then there really is no excuse for playing the same song twice over the weekend.

Although you might struggle to get many people who know more than one Dream Evil song. :P
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:59 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:That was one of my points. If people are asking for Ozzy songs then you play Crazy Train on the Thursday, then on the other days you play something else by Ozzy.

For example.

Bark At The Moon on Friday, No More Tears on Saturday and Mister Crowley on Sunday

Just examples off the top of my head. With a back catalogue the size of Ozzy Osbourne's then there really is no excuse for playing the same song twice over the weekend.

Although you might struggle to get many people who know more than one Dream Evil song. :P

Yeah this is what I was getting at, I don't want to hear the same song multiple times in one night/weekend. I understand you have to play the popular bands, but they all have huge libraries to choose from, yet we hear the same 2-3 songs until I want to kill myself.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:09 pm

Just play Babymetal on repeat the whole night, everyone wins

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:45 pm

:lol:

tmcgoay

Postby tmcgoay » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:35 pm

judging by the schedule on the updated app there will be comedians on in the NB stage leaving the SL with 4DJOTA every night and guest DJ's (Krusher anyone?)
SRS '12

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:54 am

Krusher is confirmed for VIP this year, I think on the Sat night.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

tmcgoay

Postby tmcgoay » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:37 am

CharlesDexterWard wrote:Krusher is confirmed for VIP this year, I think on the Sat night.

and people wonder if the extra cost for VIP can be justified??
SRS '12