Anyone know the policy on water bottles / pouches?

August 11-14, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Re: Anyone know the policy on water bottles / pouches?

Postby Cassius » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:14 pm

Yeah this is pretty standard practise.

Without it the ticket price would sky rocket as they wouldnt be able to charge the food vendors anywhere near as much to be there

onona
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby onona » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:29 pm

i0th wrote:You're not forced though, your wristband allows access in and out and back in to the arena so can go to the campsite and eat your own food if you choose. Thinking of festivals I've been to recently: BOA, Download, HRH & Hammerfest, Hardwick Live....none of them let you take your own food into the arena.

I don't camp. I also have barely any time to go buy food because I work at the festival.

onona

Postby onona » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:31 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Seriously? You can't have attended many events as a punter then. I can't think of ANY that allows you to bring your own food or drink.

Every single time I ever attended Download Festival as a punter, I had no problem bringing in sandwiches and salads I'd bought at M&S in Derby. And since working press the last few years at Download, I've always brought a packed lunch along too, when I've had time to pick something up. No problems.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:37 pm

I spent the entire weekend last year wandering in and around the arena with a 500ml bottle that I kept filled from the water taps. Security never bothered once about it
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:56 pm

I was gonna say, can't think of any festival that allows it in the arena. And if you feel that strongly about the festival food, it's just a quick trip back to the campsite. This is as a punter though, I've never had the honour of being press. At least it's not like Download where it's like a mile hike back to the tent.

They are probably less strict with press because they are working, after all.

Slev
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Slev » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:59 pm

And that's how we get a good festival: they put rules into place to appease the vendors, which can then be enforced (or not) as needed, in order to prevent people extracting the proverbial.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:01 pm

Yeah I doubt security would care about a packet of crisps or a sandwich, but they'd probably take issue with the picnic baskets Gandalf mentioned. (Please tell me people don't actually do that. :lol:)

Slev
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Slev » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:06 pm

FWIW, I train the newbies at work. I go through teh company rule, many of which seem rediculous, or would reqyuire a faulure of common sense to break. Hence my common line, before they can complain, of "yes, people have done that".

I believe there was even and episone of How I Met Your Mother, which points out that when a bizzare seeming rule is in force, ("no boogi-boading on the sidewalk", "no motorcycles on the cassino floor", etc), it's because someone has done something silly in the past.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:14 pm

VizardAmata wrote:Yeah I doubt security would care about a packet of crisps or a sandwich, but they'd probably take issue with the picnic baskets Gandalf mentioned. (Please tell me people don't actually do that. :lol:)

Yep. I know a few people that work at the Liverpool Arena and it happens all the time apparently.

Not really at gigs that normal concert goers attend. But if you put on someone like Justin Bieber, Tom Jones or a family show, all the mums and grannies turn up with a full picnic, their own drinks and tons of sweets. Even though the place is full of bars, restaurants, sweet shops and sandwich bars.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:32 pm

Download does allow small amounts of your own food as per their Ts and Cs - hampers/coolbags are not permitted. Obviously they can make enough from the vendors by allowing it and BOA can't being much smaller
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

onona

Postby onona » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:52 pm

VizardAmata wrote: And if you feel that strongly about the festival food, it's just a quick trip back to the campsite.

I stay in a hotel though. For me, a festival is a working weekend; if I'm not in the pits shooting, I'm in the press tent dumping photos and prepping them for editorial. I usually make a bit of time in the evening for a quick (and I do mean quick) ale in the VIP area when the gaps between bands are a bit bigger due to longer set times, but my day is stupidly busy on the whole, which is why I bring a packed lunch and things like nuts so I can eat a bit here and there on the go.

Hopefully I won't have any problems though. Like I said, I've not been searched before at Bloodstock, and at any rate, I'd like to think they'd be understanding about people who are actually working all day.

But still, this whole "no food" thing is news to me, and if I were a punter I'd be unhappy about it for sure.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:13 pm

I've been going to BoA every year since 2009, and these have always been the rules, as fares I can remember (through hazy beer goggled memory of course!)

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:23 pm

onona wrote:
VizardAmata wrote: And if you feel that strongly about the festival food, it's just a quick trip back to the campsite.

I stay in a hotel though. For me, a festival is a working weekend; if I'm not in the pits shooting, I'm in the press tent dumping photos and prepping them for editorial. I usually make a bit of time in the evening for a quick (and I do mean quick) ale in the VIP area when the gaps between bands are a bit bigger due to longer set times, but my day is stupidly busy on the whole, which is why I bring a packed lunch and things like nuts so I can eat a bit here and there on the go.

Hopefully I won't have any problems though. Like I said, I've not been searched before at Bloodstock, and at any rate, I'd like to think they'd be understanding about people who are actually working all day.

But still, this whole "no food" thing is news to me, and if I were a punter I'd be unhappy about it for sure.

Ahh, I see. I mean, I don't see them being super strict about it, especially for press. I mean, you are working after all. Even for punters I don't see them caring about small items of food. Hopefully you don't have any trouble.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:11 pm

Working at an event and paying to attend are two entirely different scenarios though. This is something you need to bring up with your employer or the festival organisers if you are freelance.

I can't think of many events that would let you bring in your own food and drink. That goes for festivals, concerts, sporting events, theme parks, cinemas, museums, etc. It's been like that for as long as I remember and I've been attending these things since the 1970s. That's a fact of life that goes with extortionate beer prices.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:37 pm

They will search your bag and chair if you carry one but as everyone says there is lovely cold water on tap by the loos at the Sophie Lancaster end. Also the food is reasonable to buy- lovely big breakfast baps that will keep you going until afternoon, massive cups of tea and coffee...