August 11-14, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Bloodstock 2016 - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Postby i0th » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:57 am

The Good:
Twisted Sister were majestic
Anthrax - a performance worthy of headlining
Evil Scarecrow, Gloryhammer, Acid Reign, Whispered, Fury, Symphony X, The Heretic Order, Rotting Christ, Fear Factory, Diamond Head, Pythia
The size of the crowd for Footprints in the Custard in the Hobgoblin stage, must play on Sophie next year
The weather
Toilets were excellent again
Best sound I've heard at Bloodstock in years, not once did I have to wander around at the start of a set looking for the bit where the mix sounded right
Jesus crowd surfing to Rotting Christ
Battle of the Nations guys being as nuts and as entertaining as ever
The roast dinner in the VIP bar on Sunday afternoon
The RAM gallery, the Balrog/Gandalf face-off in the Mines of Moria piece was STUNNING

The Bad:
The queue to get your VIP wristband is insane, took over and hour and half as they still do the stupid looking up your name on a list and ticking people off one by one. My ticket wasn't on the list and at first he was refused entry in case he'd printed the ticket off himself, it's got a bloody hologram on! Went back and spoke to someone higher and there was a bunch of people who just weren't on the list. Gave them wristbands but not goodie bags, daft.
The ground in the new VIP camping area was solid after 2 inches, I'll be buying some new pegs but winder if there's something in the ground to harden it as it used to be where the cars parked?

The UGLY
The state of me on Thursday, forgot to eat so ended up passed-out outside my tent before Phil Cambell, I'm assured I saw Psykosis but don't remember it at all. Ended up leaving my glasses outside the tent door and they got trampled so spent the rest of the festival in my sunglasses, thank smeg they're prescription! Still can't find my spare pair at home so still wearing my sunnies now.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

rainer
Lowly Peon

Postby rainer » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:02 am

Good:
All of the hot bitches

Bad:
All of the hot bitches having boyfriends

Ugly:
You eventually get to an age when seeing a man in a dress running around shouting over-used internet memes just isn't funny anymore. I think I've reached that age. Snore. Shut up. Or if you're going to shout about things all night, at least make it funny.

chrisharry
Lowly Peon

Postby chrisharry » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:26 pm

Good:
-The lineup for friday and saturday. Literally spent the whole two days going between the 3 stages. Saw some great bands, some I had never heard of before the festival. Sunday was a bit more chilled for me which was good as I was pretty hungover.

-Satyricon playing Nemises and seeing the mighty Akercocke again after so long.

-The bass down the front for Gojira.. Stood by the speakers all the hairs on my arms, my nose and everything else was vibrating with every kickdrum. The sound was incredible.

- The people. All the cool people that let me sit with them and chatted away at the Lemmys bar as I came to the festival on my own.. Everyone was really friendly.

- The overall sound in general on all stages was good and seemed better than it was in 14. Some bands moving further back or further forward worked to get the right balance. Some bands I saw that I thought sounded shit others loved so I think where you stand makes a big difference.

Food and drink stands were good.

Site layout was good as well.

Kraken ice creams being free was a bonus :)

The weather was spot on!

Bad:
A few too many bands that are ''Download bands'' in my opinion. Some of them are not bad bands but you can go to Download or even reading for stuff like that. I appreciate some bands suit both festivals but most of the chat at the festival and on the forums were that people wernt keen on them being at Bloodstock.

A guy at lemmies car serving pints personal hygiene. He picked my pint up by the top of it. I went for a sip and it stank of shit. It was rank.. had to throw it away.

The sound down the front at mastodon. Sounded awsome for gojira but the bass completely washed out mastodon. You could hear nothing else!

The sound at the back for mastodon. Sounded wish-washey.. generally dull all the way through and I usually quite like them.

The rest of the bad is VIP related..

The queues for the shitter in VIP. When you wake up in the morning and you really have to go waiting 20mins for the 7 people in front of each block to go was agonizing at times! Also 2 portaloos in vip for blokes? Not better than the loos in standard..

Cold showers in VIP.. Half of them cold by the Saturday? Maybe earlier..

Announcing VIP acts on Facebook like metal belly dancers fire breathers etc and then not adding them to the schedule meaning anyone wanting to watch them missed them if they didn't stay in the vip tent all the time.

Despite my name and details being confirmed via email by the webmaster and the VIP manager my name wasn't on the list at vip. Took about 20 mins to get in and then was refused a goodie bag which left the only real sour taste for the weekend..

Trying to sleep in VIP on the sunday when I had to get up early for a 6 hour drive home. No issues with the VIP bar open till 3 on thursday/friday/sat as by the time I stumbled back I passed stright out but on the sunday night when alot of people had to get up early and drive back maybe a slightly earlier close? 1am maybe?

Ugly:
The thick pool of dark red blood just to the left of the barrier of the main stage. Looked NASTY

The guy in the mankiki walking around on sunday eve

Overall the most enjoyable festival I have been to. Bring on 17 and hopefully Emperor!

Screaminglordzombie
Lowly Peon

Postby Screaminglordzombie » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:53 pm

8th One down.

Good:
Great crowd and atmosphere as ever.
Minimal main stage technical issues and they only hit a band i didnt care about for once :p
the chilli bread place. fed me well for 2 of the days there and tasted as good as anything ive had from the mighty deli kate in all the times ive been there. get 'em back next year!
Security were pretty good again this year too.

Bad:
my continued failed attempts to get any kraken ice cream.
Airborne being repeated every 5 minutes without fail and blackberry fucking smoke.
Mastadon and slayer in general.
The Disabled camping bays have been narrowed slightly again. and the toilets seemed a huge distance from our tent (watching a drunk crippled dude try to hobble the near 5 minutes to the portaloos and back aint really ideal) - maybe have a second set at the other side for next year so its not as bad?

Ugly:
My mates first bloodstock where he insisted "i dont need sun stuff, i dont burn. like ever" and then proceeded to become a total lobster by the end of friday.
the state of my spine.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:43 pm

THE GOOD:

- Twisted Sister signing off with a blast
- Satyricon playing a perfect rendition of one of the best albums ever
- Greg MacIntosh’s between song rants for Vallenfyre
- Akercocke being better than they were first time around
- Expected killer sets from Gloryhammer, Behemoth and Rotting Christ, and unexpected killer sets from Acid Reign and Dragonforce.
- Shining and Ghost Bath – not the usual festival bands, but nice curveballs who both produced fantastic sets.
- Isarnos – perfect for a quick jaunt to the Jaager on a sunny afternoon
- More range of ales at the main bar (even if they ran out quick)
- The chilli in bread store next to Deli Kate, delicious, best veggie food at the festival.
- Perfect festival weather
- Hel camp site – everyone I met there was friendly and considerate, and it was perfect to go back to and get a good night’s sleep with none of the stupid noise and disruption’s elsewhere
- Foetal Juice’s song titles.

THE BAD

- The endless empty plaudit for dead rockers. Okay it’s a shame Lemmy, Dio blah blah blah died and they obviously had a big influence on rock music, but when you hear for the hundredth time “in the last year we lost an absolute legend”, “this one’s dedicated to Lemmy”, blah blah, it’s just nauseating! We even got a David Bowie tribute from Metal Allegiance….and an unbelievably bad one at that.
- The service at Lemmy’s bar – it’s ridiculous that you get served then the staff have to queue up one by one to get change from one guy sitting on a till, this system doesn’t work, it’s stupid, get more tills next time!!!
- Bin jousting – it’s retarded, noisy and dangerous, and I don’t see why the security put up with it. Was in the quiet camp but still got woken up by the bin jousting bell ends a good 50m away in Midgard, people’s tents by the side of the path were getting bashed into and people woken up, and unsurprisingly there have been quite serious injuries from it in the past. Just bring back Forky Forky!!
- Fear Factory – played one of the best metal albums ever, but managed to make it one of the worst performances of the weekend.
- The crud from 20 years ago that no one gave a shit about – Stuck Mojo, Misery Loves Co and Kill 2 This all attracted tiny and uninterested crowds, this idea of unearthing long forgotten Kerrang approved crap from yesterday clearly doesn’t work, stop it now.
- Beyond The Black – it’s Bloodstock, not Eurovision

THE UGLY

Festival digestion – drinking booze all day and having junk food does nasty things to the old digestion, for me it makes me only have one colossal shit in the morning (usually have a few throughout the day)…but the shit in the morning is an absolute cannon ball – I woke up at 7am on Sunday and Monday in absolute agony, almost unable to stand up, having to get dressed in complete pain, and stagger to the portaloo, endure an unbearable queue, feeling like my arse is gonna explode at any moment, before finally being able to unleash a gargantuan dump. Horrible, horrible, glad my digestion has turned back to normal now.

new empire
Warrior of Metal

Postby new empire » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:28 pm

The Good (8.5/10 - 9.5/10),

Sublime Eyes, Sumer, Psychosis, Evil Scarecrow, Venom, Beholder, The Charm The Fury, Beyond the Black, Garganjua, Cambion, One Machine, Bull-Riff Stampede, Acid Reign, Sanguine, Krysthla, Divine Chaos, Vector, Memoriam, Pythia,

Extra Specially good (10/10)

Twisted Sister (peerlessly magnificent), Acid Reign thrashing like titans, Famyne (surely these guys are destined for great things).

The general organisation and attention to detail from the Bloodstock organisers was brilliant. People love a good moan, but we've got the real deal here. I think you should really appreciate them.

The Bad

I lost my beloved Wasps cap bouncing to Psychosis on Thursday. I'm old and it hurts to watch bands all day. Ghost Bath - what the fuck?!!! Beer going up to £4.20 a pint because of "delivery costs". Fuel prices and beer tax are cheaper than last year. We're not stupid. We drank more of our own beer thank you.

The ugly.

I'm not a fan of crowd surfing. It's OK if you're at the front, as you expect it a bit of that and are ready for it. But when you're stood near the back and nearly get your neck wrecked, because some fat cunt gets semi-boosted straight onto your head with no warning, it's a bit annoying. The right time and right place are important for these things.

Bloody marvellous weekend. I'll deffo be there next year.

Azza0911
Lowly Peon

Postby Azza0911 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:08 pm

Hi all as this was finally my first Bloodstock after coming twice before to drop off and pick up previously...here is my good, bad and ugly....

Good: The weather, only a little rain otherwise perfect although Friday was boiling a bit!!
Twisted Sister...what a privilege to see them live before they call it a day...fucking awesome!
The Motley Brew guys who are fantastic as always
The Sophie Lancaster Stage, fantastic views and great performances all around!
The Ronnie James Dio stage, best view to see main bands anywhere I have been to
Psykosis...excellent on Thursday
Gojira, at Sonisphere they were bad...here they improved big time!!
Evil Scarecrow, great to see something different in metal music and the dancing!!
Pulverise at Jager Stage...great vocals and fit drummer too!!
Beyond The Black...got a video of them doing Whole Lotta Love!!
Satyricon...awesome!!
Footprints In The Custard...when I go to Manchester again I will have to locate these guys!!! What a performance!!
And...a very gorgeous lady named Dani in Ironwood who loved my space hat...would love to get in touch with her if I can!!

The Bad:
Some of the noise by Ironwood but a lot better than previous festivals
The heat on Friday...luckily I managed to get some hats!!
My brother breaking his tent when packing up!!
The trip home!!! I wanted to stay longer if I could!!
The guy who looked liked he was dead during the Andrew O'Neill set...luckily he was ok...

The Ugly:
Carrying a keg on my back for well over a hour in the queue there lol
My stomach on Friday lol
The prices for some merch!!!

All in all a fantastic time for my first Bloodstock of hopefully many to come...raise those FUCKING HORNS!!!!

Beack
Lowly Peon

Postby Beack » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:23 pm

The good:

The bands (Gojira, Symphony X, Famyne, Bearfist, Sumer, Beholder)
New discoveries (Boss Keloid, Krysthla, Psykosis and Twisted Sister who I never really knew but were amazing headliners)
The weather
The Texas smokehouse brisket + sausage
Mr Tea's
Good nights' sleep at Midgard
No hangovers
Allowing drinks into the arena

The bad:

Slayer & Kill II This
Getting hit by a Psykosis brew
That trek from the car park...
The tea from the campsite stalls... (scummy!)
The same promo all day long on the main stage
The same CD all day long at the fairground...
The terrible (non-metal) music at some of the food stalls

Also, the bar service in the Sophie tent was ridiculously slow, even when there were only 3 people there. Would much prefer tokens for the bar, goes so much quicker as now they had to keep going to the till for each drink. And they were slow doing that too... I think someone already mentioned the same issue at the Lemmy Bar.

The ugly:

Nasty puke surprise one evening in the portaloo... Someone had the chilli!

To be fair though, the bad are just observations - there was nothing that ruined what was a great Bloodstock experience once again! :rock:

TawmDee
Lowly Peon

Postby TawmDee » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:43 pm

GOOD:
The weather
The bands
The friendly atmosphere
Deli Kate!
The Mexican Fajitas were awesome as well.
Dicks out for Harambe - at our campsite even overheard a We're Not Gonna Take It shoutalong and a rendition of The Trooper w/ kazoo.. with the lyrics all replaced of course. fucking hilarious.
Whoever brought the soundsystem had a class playlist and was pretty reasonable - moderate volume at dead on 9am each morning
Dodgems.. I fucking love dodgems. they let us ride for twice as long on Thursday as well.

BAD:
That bloody promo on the main stage... nuff said

UGLY:
Felt really ill on the Monday.. had to lie in bed for most of the day, then a bout of sleep paralysis which was.. interesting, to say the least.

aside from that - top fest all round!

chopperplymouth
Lowly Peon

Postby chopperplymouth » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:11 pm

THURSDAY
psykosis 6 was ok
phil campbell 8 ok
FRIDAY
gloryhammer 5 to much cheese
evil scarecrow 5 cheese gone mouldy over rated
isarnos 8.5 brilliant stuff deserved a bigger stage
misery loves 3 score says it all
vehement 7 a band to keep a eye on
foetal juice 8 good fun
venom 7 good set
behemoth 8.5 always good show
twisted sister 9 great show

SATURDAY
cambion 8 so happy to see these lads get to the main stage,deserve it
vallenfyre 4 found the frontman really fucking annoying
akercocke 4 bored , what was all the fuss about
mordrake 8 great find
regulus 5 to many bands like this now
the face of ruin 3 umm no
fear factory 8 enjoyed
gojira 9.5 just excellent
acid reign 9.5 great set and great fun
SUNDAY
satyricon 7 was ok
whispered 8 another great find
vektor 10 best band all weekend for me really enjoyed them
memoriam 8 good set enjoyed
anthrax 9 always good
slayer 7 just seem to go through the motions
goatwhore 6 was ok

COMEDY HOUR 8 was some really good comedians and the host was a good laugh aswell
LEAGUE OF NATIONS 8 those guys really go for it
STRONG MAN 4 big guys but pretty boring

Slev
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Slev » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:21 pm

The Good:
*Excellent sets from bands I knew & loved already: Fury, Sumer, Vektor, & GloryHammer;
*Excellent sets from bands I didn’t know: Ghost Bath, Garganjua, Famyn, Kahtet, Heriot, & Poseidon;
*Anthrax managing to entertain me, when I’m not really a proper fan;
*Lots of cool people;
*Forum Meet;
*The Rock Soc Tent;
*Excellent Guest Shuttle driver;
*Excellent festival staff;

The Bad:
*The water points not being boarded-out and thus becoming mired;
*The lack of folk and power keeping away 2/3’s of my mates, and my misses. A more balance in line-up is sorely needed;
*Lack of proper prog metal. I know I was spoiled last year, but still;
*Lack of variety on the New Blood, even worse than recent years. I know there’s a self-selection bias here, but still;
*Morons smoking in the tent;
*Weed in the arena setting off my (very nasty) allergies many times;
*All the decent catering was more complicated than anything I could eat, using some kind of glaze/smoking/marinating/wired accompaniments. Will likely have to nicely ask Kate to take care of me next year;

The Ugly:
*The stomach bug I managed to pick up (going so far that I ended up hallucinating on Monday morning and my misses had to drag me to my bed)!

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:29 pm

Shit festival; Best time ever. (Inside joke...)

Good:
- Same old Bloodstock atmosphere.
- Security were great, especially if you took the time to speak to them. All of them I spoke to love to work Bloodstock, few of them had any trouble, and by Saturday afternoon the main talking point was one of the loo scrubbers robbing a tent in contractors, getting caught and then arrested.
- Forum meet
- Sound for Agrona in the New Blood stage was perfect for them. Sound for Pythia and Goatwhore in the Sophie tent were similarly spot on. No sets were particularly blighted by major issues that weren't better by the end (That includes Slayer, whose mix was set up that you couldn't hear Kerry King on the left. Can't complain about that)
- The horrendously awful, wet, cold weather. Please Rachael, coax the sun out a bit of often, would you!?
- Rock Society and the dedicated crew, the community and the set up still being as awesome as ever.

The bad:
- Whilst it's always going to be difficult with the space available, the drop off point could do with a safer setup. Having a dedicated walkway fenced off from the exit of the drop off point for those on their way to the main car park could minimise the risk of someone getting run over, particularly when there are heavy motorhomes and caravans on their way out too.
- 4 whole dedicated posh porcelain shitters to service the entire male VIP campsite crowd, assuming none were blocked. Unless I'd missed another block elsewhere.

The ugly:
- For the first time ever... None to speak of that I found!
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Iain_Not_Ian
Lowly Peon

Postby Iain_Not_Ian » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:33 pm

The Really Bad

Queuing for 1 1/2 hours in VIP car park to get my wristband. Three people dealing with VIP paying customers was way too few. Each one had to scroll through sheets of paper to tick you off. Why don't you have a computerised system? Even a spreadsheet? Then they had to fill your 'goodie bag'. Why weren't these prefilled? To add insult to injury, we were asked to provide our T-shirt size in advance. I was told you had ran out of XXL and was given a large. What use is that?!?! I went back twice as I was told more stock was coming. It never did. Running out of XXL has happened previous years. So why ask our size this year and why not have enough stock of each size?

Half of the VIP showers were cold on Saturday morning so long queues. No sign of anyone fixing them. Also the ventilation is poor. I end up coming out of the shower cubical sweatier than before I went in.

Queues for the VIP toilets in the morning were long with many toilets out of action. No sign of anyone unblocking them.

The late announcement of the VIP car park move was naughty after most people had bought their tickets. The walk wasn't too bad but I prefer my car to be closer when I VIP. The ground of the walkway wasn't great and I didn't see one security person over in the VIP car park on any of the four nights I walked to my car. Not impressed and I was concerned for loan females or highly intoxicated people. Also no one was manning the road crossing of an evening. see last concern. Who was going to help them if help was needed?

I went through another dozen pegs this year whilst erecting my tent. There must be something that can be done to the ground to improve things.

This year really didn't feel VIP and I am not sure what I am paying nearly double a standard ticket for! This is my seventh year at Bloodstock and the most disappointing. You say you listen so hopefully you take this feedback on board. Lots was wrong with VIP this year and based on how this customer base has grown you need to improve things to keep us.
If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It!

michelleb666
Lowly Peon

Postby michelleb666 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:28 pm

The Good:
The whole weekend of music, especially:
Heart Of A Coward
Gojira
Evil Scarecrow
Chronicles
Conjurer
Memoriam
Exhumation
Mastodon

The Bad:
The lack of security in the campsite area..... and the idiots from Midgard who thought it was funny to come into the Hel camp at silly o'clock shouting and making a racket.
And the few who chose to camp in Hel but wanted to sit round the tents and talk late at night.

The Ugly:
The toilets in the arena.... not cleaned and no toilet rolls.....Even Download got this right....

synth_etic
Powermetal Child

Postby synth_etic » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:53 pm

The good
-Good weather, except Sunday night.
-Finally seeing Akercocke!
-Nice to see new stalls onsite, still a lot of the same stuff but nice to see something different for the first time in 4 years.
-The usual friendly crowds (for the most part)
-Toilets, cleanest iv seen them ever.
-The mini supermarket on site, amazing idea.

The bad
-Personally, bad line up for bands. Fed up of seeing Slayer every year, next to no Folk metal except the odd band on the Jäger stage and just general meh bands. What bands I did see were great, but only saw a few.
-The cold on Sunday night, currently suffering from a rotten cold.
-What little food I could eat on site was rather poor. Thank the gods for mr.teas for a decent brew and the mini supermarket for a chocolate fix.
-Weird WiFi on the main stage not working.
-The current post festival blues.

The Ugly
-Can't think of anything tbh.