Download Festival 2019

Share tour news and event information in here.
bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets
Posts: 1665
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:38 am
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Download Festival 2019

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:16 am

Black Wizard wrote:I'm actually quite looking forward to the Download Festival weekend - not because I am going, but because there are likely to be a few tours announced for later this year or early next year.


Well, a pop-punk package tour headlined by Less Than Jake got announced today if that floats your boat... :shy:

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4184
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Download Festival 2019

Postby houston4044 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:18 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
Black Wizard wrote:I'm actually quite looking forward to the Download Festival weekend - not because I am going, but because there are likely to be a few tours announced for later this year or early next year.


Well, a pop-punk package tour headlined by Less Than Jake got announced today if that floats your boat... :shy:


I wouldn't write it off, went to one of those fireball tours the other year and had a blast, they were handing out unlimited amounts of the stuff for free :lol: Cheap tickets and free drinks :D

User avatar
Black Wizard
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1349
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:47 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Download Festival 2019

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:16 pm

Camping opens in three days and the weather forecast looks ominous: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/fo ... 2019-06-15

Heavy rain all day tomorrow
Rain all day Tuesday
Rain most of Wednesday
Rain on Thursday afternoon
Showers on Friday afternoon
Showers on Saturday afternoon

Pack those wellies guys.

User avatar
Czech's Mate
Denim Demon
Posts: 4067
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:58 pm
Location: Northampton....not Wellingborough!

Re: Download Festival 2019

Postby Czech's Mate » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:18 pm

Black Wizard wrote:Camping opens in three days and the weather forecast looks ominous: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/fo ... 2019-06-15

Heavy rain all day tomorrow
Rain all day Tuesday
Rain most of Wednesday
Rain on Thursday afternoon
Showers on Friday afternoon
Showers on Saturday afternoon

Pack those wellies guys.


Just seen some photos of the site, looks like a mudbath before the festival actualy starts. I predict cases of trench foot before the end.

Regardless of any views on the festival, I feel really sorry for the folk who will be dealing with the conditions there
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4184
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Download Festival 2019

Postby houston4044 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:19 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-48627574

Even the BBC has picked up on it, got to feel sorry for people spending all that money and looking forward to it and that's what you turn up to.

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 4992
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Download Festival 2019

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:41 pm

Eh grandad, what did you do in June when you were a teenager?

I ran onto a beach where it was neck deep with mud and got shot at by Germans with machine guns.

Oh! I went home from a festival because it was a bit muddy....

Man the fuck up! It's only weather.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

bloodfiend
Denim Demon
Posts: 3171
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: Download Festival 2019

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:14 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Eh grandad, what did you do in June when you were a teenager?

I ran onto a beach where it was neck deep with mud and got shot at by Germans with machine guns.

Oh! I went home from a festival because it was a bit muddy....

Man the fuck up! It's only weather.


I'm not sure the 2 things are directly comparable, I'm not sure anyone's grandad would think that world war 2 was a fun weekend away...and it looks like they're already neck deep in mud, we just need to open fire with machine guns at the festivals goers, then maybe grandad might have some sympathy for them.

From the pictures it does look pretty awful, I've only been to one mud bath fest (Wacken 05), which was horrific, but I actually enjoyed the fest a lot.

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4184
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Download Festival 2019

Postby houston4044 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:30 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Eh grandad, what did you do in June when you were a teenager?

I ran onto a beach where it was neck deep with mud and got shot at by Germans with machine guns.

Oh! I went home from a festival because it was a bit muddy....

Man the fuck up! It's only weather.


Considering the bloke they've quoted slipped a disk I think it's a bit beyond manning up :rolleyes:

User avatar
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2492
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:09 pm

Re: Download Festival 2019

Postby Ghost » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:54 am

houston4044 wrote:
Considering the bloke they've quoted slipped a disk I think it's a bit beyond manning up :rolleyes:


You say that but I stubbed my toe slightly at the last gig and stayed until the bitter end.
I see the bad moon arising.

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4184
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Download Festival 2019

Postby houston4044 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:17 am

Ghost wrote:
houston4044 wrote:
Considering the bloke they've quoted slipped a disk I think it's a bit beyond manning up :rolleyes:


You say that but I stubbed my toe slightly at the last gig and stayed until the bitter end.


How can a ghost stub a toe? :P

User avatar
Tet
Denim Demon
Posts: 8810
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:09 pm
Location: Harrow
Contact:

Re: Download Festival 2019

Postby Tet » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:25 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Man the fuck up! It's only weather.

I couldn't agree more. I was at two of the wettest Downloads in 2015 and 2016, both of which were affected by heavy rain. And yeah, I'd rather it had been dry. But realistically, it wasn't that bad, and I still enjoyed the festival. It was just a bit of water and mud. Besides, it was nowhere near the biblical conditions found at Wacken in 2015. And that was a fantastic festival too.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

User avatar
Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2224
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Somewhere crap

Re: Download Festival 2019

Postby Skippy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:38 am

Its not a case of "manning the fuck up". It really really can hurt the enjoyment of a festival, particularly at Download who usually can't handle it at all. Personally I hate camping at the best of times, and only tolerate it for the festival experience. Living in a wet, smelly, mud covered bog for 5 days just isn't worth the money. It isn't an issue with watching bands, you barely notice the weather then, but I can never enjoy myself as much the rest of the time.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

bloodfiend
Denim Demon
Posts: 3171
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: Download Festival 2019

Postby bloodfiend » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:09 am

Yes bad weather definitely can put a downer on a festival, ie Metal Days 2015 had lovely weather all week and the festival was just an amazing metal paradise, the next year the weather was awful and when it rains in Slovenia, it fucking rains, we're talking tropical monsoons every day... when you wake up and your tent is flooded and your belongings are floating around in the water, it seriously impacts the enjoyment of a festival. Wet, muddy festivals are generally miserable affairs where any social time is limited by the weather and you have to spend large amounts of time in the tent. It's not a case of manning up, festivals are supposed to be fun, not gruelling endurance tests.

In the same way if you go to a restaurant and the meal is below standard and you complain to the manager, is he entitled to just go "man up, your grandad had to eat boiled rat while being shot at in the trenches"?

User avatar
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2492
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:09 pm

Re: Download Festival 2019

Postby Ghost » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:20 am

If I was at a gig and there was a burst pipe that flooded the floor, meaning that I had to wade through water to get to the stage then I'd probably go home :lol:
I see the bad moon arising.

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4184
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Download Festival 2019

Postby houston4044 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:07 am

At the end of the day people have paid to be there, if it isn't to their liking it's up to them to stay or go home. Personally if it was just the rain/mud I'd put up with it but if there other factors then yeah, it'd tip me over into leaving early.