Brutal Assault 2019

Share tour news and event information in here.
Blake_Porter
Denim Demon

Brutal Assault 2019

Postby Blake_Porter » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:46 am

Decided to end my 3 year festival hiatus by going to Brutal Assault 2019 Line-up is looking great.

Has anyone else been here before? What is it like?

What sort of late night entertainment can be expected?

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Re: Brutal Assault 2019

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:51 am

Blake_Porter wrote:
Has anyone else been here before? What is it like?

It's awesome - best festival I've been to (and I've been to Metal Days, Hellfest, Wacken, Graspop, blah blah), it's in a medieval fort, the location is amazing, and the set up is great, it's a really chilled out festival, there's a cinema that shows horror movies were you can go when it's too hot or there's no bands on, there's also a chill out room playing ambient music where you can lie on coaches and have cocktails. The food is the best I've ever had a festival too, the fact the line up is great this year just means it's going to be even better.

Not sure about late night entertainment, but the bands play until about 2/3 kinda time.

Go, you won't regret it.

Blake_Porter
Denim Demon

Postby Blake_Porter » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:57 am

That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

I already have plans to go. I've missed going to festivals, but it's been kinda hard finding time to g to festivals aroud my holidays to Bosnia/Croatia/Macedonia. Just figured, "fuck it, I'm doing it this year"

The prices look unbelievably cheap as well, which plays a massive part in all of this.

Plus Prague is my favourite city on earth so I am planning to spend a few nights there before moving onto the festival. Do you know if there are any shuttle busses from Prague that go there? ( I would presume there is)

gazsetsfire
Consort of the Beast

Postby gazsetsfire » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:30 pm

I would also back that up. I’ve been to pretty much every major metal fest in Europe and this was the best!

Blake_Porter
Denim Demon

Postby Blake_Porter » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:04 pm

Really? That's very good to hear from more than just one person.

I did Wacken in 2015 and 2016 and loved it, but the weather and my own stupidity ruined it. Basically, what happened was that by the time we arrived (in 2016) they had abandoned two fields and opened two new ones for people to camp in due to flooding. By this point, I was already a bit drunk. So we finally pitched our tent and went off to see what was happening (this was about midnight). got back to the tent about 3am and I decided to hang out with some Germans and Norwegians we had met there, but my mates went to bed. It gets to 5am and I think I should really go back and get some sleep. My phone is dead, I have no money in my pocket as it was left in the car, I have no food or drink at my disposal. And because they opened two new fields to camp in, our campsite wasn't on any of the maps.... so I was unable to find where we were at all ad I had no means to contact my friends. It wasn't until 6pm that I was able to actually meet up with my friends (Thanks to some guy lending me his power bank to charge my phone). Where we had camped was about a 45-50 minute walk from the arena.

How far is the arena from the furthest point in the campsite at BA?

gazsetsfire
Consort of the Beast

Postby gazsetsfire » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:18 pm

I’m afraid I haven’t camped at a fest since With Full Force in 2009 when the intense German heat nearly finished me off.... I need my sleep and a shower these days!
The hotels on offer through the BA site run regular shuttles to the fest and take around half an hour.
I appreciate most people go to a metal fest to camp though and Brutal Assault is so ridiculously cheap even with camping. From what I could see walking through the arena people just camped wherever they could fit! All over the place to be honest but there probably was a more structured camping system in place that I didn’t see. On the walk down to the arena there were literally tents pitched on ridiculously steep gradients!
Once inside the arena it’s fantastic with bars and tunnels built into the old fortress and the hill at the back provides an amazing setting at night for bands you don’t want to be down the front for. It costs 6 euro for access to the hill or you get it included if you do the hotel package

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby robin8585 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:05 pm

I've heard really good things, and it looks very cool so I really want to go. Been foiled the last 2 years by various things getting in the way, so did Bloodstock despite preferring the Brutal Assault lineup. Unfortunately this year the lineup looks a bit uninspiring for me, whereas Bloodstock are currently knocking it out of the park. Maybe 2020.

Blake_Porter
Denim Demon

Postby Blake_Porter » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:25 pm

Honestly, I'm looking forward to seeing Gutalax the most on this lineup I think.

Forza BA
Lowly Peon

Postby Forza BA » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:48 pm

It is a unique experience with just so many positives it is hard not to have an amazing time on many fronts. Good call re Gutalax - we have seen them there twice and it is one big grindcore party mosh with costumes! In terms of camping, the official camp is really close to the fest site 5-10mins depending on where you are. Something not mentioned is the town is great to pop in to when you need to chill and bars are not far away. Late night entertainment not needed due to late finishing time of bands. Last year they had techno on in the chill out room from 1 or 2am which was a brilliant way to get a second wind!

ChrisFlames
Lowly Peon

Postby ChrisFlames » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:07 pm

I went to brutal assault this year and found it fantastic! I liked it so much, thinking of doing next year too, however I will be getting to BA by train next year, does anyone know roughly how to get there from Prague airport? I’m looking into logistics at the moment,

Blake_Porter
Denim Demon

Postby Blake_Porter » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:40 pm

Forza BA wrote:It is a unique experience with just so many positives it is hard not to have an amazing time on many fronts. Good call re Gutalax - we have seen them there twice and it is one big grindcore party mosh with costumes! In terms of camping, the official camp is really close to the fest site 5-10mins depending on where you are. Something not mentioned is the town is great to pop in to when you need to chill and bars are not far away. Late night entertainment not needed due to late finishing time of bands. Last year they had techno on in the chill out room from 1 or 2am which was a brilliant way to get a second wind!

Is the town within walking distance like at Wacken?

ChrisFlames wrote:I went to brutal assault this year and found it fantastic! I liked it so much, thinking of doing next year too, however I will be getting to BA by train next year, does anyone know roughly how to get there from Prague airport? I’m looking into logistics at the moment,

Presumably you would have to get a bus into Prague and then get the train from there? I had a wee look on google maps and the fest is about an hour and a half away by car, so I would assume a train would be much quicker.

gazsetsfire
Consort of the Beast

Postby gazsetsfire » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:36 pm

We flew into Prague, spent a night there, then got train from Prague central station. From memory it was a direct train that took a good 2 hours (possibly a bit more, can’t remember exactly) .
It was obviously much cheaper than you pay over here for a 2 hour train journey!

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:05 pm

Netherlands deathfest doesn't look as good this year now they're only putting on two stages instead of three, so I'll be trying to go to this one instead. Great mix of bands so far. Hopefully will get King Diamond as one of the headliners.

Weird to see Vuur and Anathema on the lineup. Anneke Van Giersbergen sharing a bill with Anaal Nathrakh isn't something I ever expected to see. Pleasant surprise for both though.

Yeah, the town is within walking distance from the fest, literally a few minutes. That said BA is so cheap that you hardly need to stock up on beer and food. £1 beer and £2/3 for food in the arena. Food is really good in the arena too. I ate a mix of normal, vegetarian and vegan food, all of it tasty and good value.

Blake_Porter
Denim Demon

Postby Blake_Porter » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:41 pm

Is there some sort of beef between Anneke and Anathema or something?

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:00 am

Blake_Porter wrote:Is there some sort of beef between Anneke and Anathema or something?

No not at all, Anneke and Danny play together from time to time - just both bands are hardly the sort of band you expect to see on a Brutal Assault lineup is what I meant. Look through and it's black, death, thrash, grind, hardcore punk, dark ambient...and a super super upbeat melodic metal band, and a band who gave up metal around 20 years ago to play emotional/atmospheric pop-rock?

The Gathering are on the whole my favourite band of all time, even if I don't listen to them as voraciously as 4/5 years ago, and seen Anneke with one band or another 20+ times and I like pretty much all Anathema besides the latest album though, so no complaints from me to see them among other such favourites as Anaal Nathrakh, Immolation, Necros Christos and Napalm Death.