Dragonforce UK Tour

Share tour news and event information in here.
bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Re: Dragonforce UK Tour

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:50 pm

someone else wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:
north sea storm wrote:Their popularity peaked with the inhuman rampage album , been on a steady downhill slide ever since, barring the odd decent track. Their cover of ring of fire been surprisingly good.

The popularity has fallen, but it hasn't been steadily downhill, they've just plateaued on a lower level. In fact their last London gig was the Ballroom, and this time it's at the Forum which is significantly bigger.

The new-ish singer is decent enough live, but ZP was a better vocalist for me.

The Forum does seem to get bands that looks too big for - Skid Row, Quireboys etc. I've seen bands in there with it being a third full, so presume it doesn't cost much to hire compared to other places.

Skid Row is a good example of this - up here they're playing Warehouse 23 in Wakefield and Corporation in Sheffield - both of which are considerably smaller than the Forum.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:49 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
Skid Row is a good example of this - up here they're playing Warehouse 23 in Wakefield and Corporation in Sheffield - both of which are considerably smaller than the Forum.

That's slightly misleading though, as it wasn't just a Skid Row gig, it was 5 bands - Skid Row, Backyard Babies, H.E.A.T, Vega and Killit.

The last 2 don't have much of a fanbase, but Backyard Babies and H.E.A.T. would have added a lot of their own fans. If Skid Row were just doing their own gig they'd have played somewhere like Islington Academy.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:54 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:

That's slightly misleading though, as it wasn't just a Skid Row gig, it was 5 bands - Skid Row, Backyard Babies, H.E.A.T, Vega and Killit.

The last 2 don't have much of a fanbase, but Backyard Babies and H.E.A.T. would have added a lot of their own fans. If Skid Row were just doing their own gig they'd have played somewhere like Islington Academy.

I went to that tour in Sheffield and they played the Academy 1 venue but upstairs was closed and downstairs was partly curtained-off - much smaller than the Forum anyway.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:45 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:

It was the same up here (tho with 4 bands) in the Ritz, no way the band could it on their own so the bill is boosted - I think both venues are owned by the same people. The kicker is I think they take a bigger cut of the Merch - when Orange Goblin and CoC toured they set the merch up in the pub next door as a result. But the likes of Kamelot, Govt Mule have played with large sections roped off and fairly sparse in the stalls.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:58 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
north sea storm wrote:Their popularity peaked with the inhuman rampage album , been on a steady downhill slide ever since, barring the odd decent track. Their cover of ring of fire been surprisingly good.

The popularity has fallen, but it hasn't been steadily downhill, they've just plateaued on a lower level. In fact their last London gig was the Ballroom, and this time it's at the Forum which is significantly bigger.

The new-ish singer is decent enough live, but ZP was a better vocalist for me.

I'm not sure why, but I can only listen to the new singer for 2/3 songs at a time before he grates on me. I have no problem with listening to a whole album or more of ZP. They haven't changed the formula since Valley, so the songs are still just as good. He is a bit more tolerable live than the album, but it puts me off bothering to see them outside a festival anymore. I'm really surprised they're doing the Forum without a co-headline, last time I saw them they played there with Epica and it didn't look sold out. Maybe if it was the only show, but with so many it's a surprise.

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:14 pm

Picked up a ticket for this, mainly because it's less than half an hour's walk from home and some mates are going
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:47 pm

someone else wrote:The Forum does seem to get bands that looks too big for - Skid Row, Quireboys etc. I've seen bands in there with it being a third full, so presume it doesn't cost much to hire compared to other places.

Correct. It's sufficiently cheap that I've considered putting bands on there myself! It's nearly 5 times the capacity of The Underworld, and nowhere near 5 times the cost.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...