Download Festival 2020

Share tour news and event information in here.
User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4159
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Download Festival 2020

Postby houston4044 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:09 am

some_thing_wild wrote:Gf got tickets last night but got the RIP camping with pre pitched tent for the grand old price of £800.
EACH!


So the better part of 2k for the weekend including travel, food etc? :ugh:

I suppose that's another thing needed to be considered when the old guard drop out, do smaller bands mean a drop in ticket price? (wishful thinking I know).

User avatar
Black Wizard
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1327
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:47 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Download Festival 2020

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:10 am

houston4044 wrote:I suppose that's another thing needed to be considered when the old guard drop out, do smaller bands mean a drop in ticket price? (wishful thinking I know).

Fingers crossed!

And perhaps the size of the festival will be downscaled, so moved back inside the racetrack. Classic Donnington.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:38 am
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Download Festival 2020

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:30 am

Black Wizard wrote:
houston4044 wrote:I suppose that's another thing needed to be considered when the old guard drop out, do smaller bands mean a drop in ticket price? (wishful thinking I know).

Fingers crossed!

And perhaps the size of the festival will be downscaled, so moved back inside the racetrack. Classic Donnington.


The reason it moved wasn't up-scaling - it was because the ground inside the track was going to be turned into some kind of motocross track. I don't know if it ever actually happened though.

As for whether or not the price will drop, I doubt it. Certainly not at first - Copping & co will likely try it on and see if they get away with charging the same price for 'smaller' headliners but as much as we're sat here debating about who's going to headline once Maiden, Kiss, Metallica, Aerosmith, Def Leppard, Guns N Roses, etc. call it a day, there's still bands from the 90s & 00s that are big enough to headline that will likely just shift into increased rotation (Slipknot, Rammstein, Muse, System of a Down, Faith No More, Tool, Avenged Sevenfold, Rage Against the Machine (if they get back together)) plus there's Foo Fighters and Green Day who have yet to headline who presumably will soon enough. Download will be fine for predictability for several years yet.

At one point I would have said Bring Me The Horizon were a shoe-in to headline but they've changed their sound so much that they're much more suited to Reading/Leeds or even Glastonbury these days.

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4159
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Download Festival 2020

Postby houston4044 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:04 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:[
As for whether or not the price will drop, I doubt it. Certainly not at first - Copping & co will likely try it on and see if they get away with charging the same price for 'smaller' headliners


Aye, I can see that being the case; it'll be something along the lines of "logistics" and "behind the scenes" malarkey as a reason not to drop the ticket price.

bloodofthekings wrote: there's still bands from the 90s & 00s that are big enough to headline that will likely just shift into increased rotation (Slipknot, Rammstein, Muse, System of a Down, Faith No More, Tool, Avenged Sevenfold, Rage Against the Machine (if they get back together)) plus there's Foo Fighters and Green Day


Most of those bands are creeping into their early to mid 50's already; it'll buy them a few extra years grace but it's not the long term solution they need. They need some bands to blow up big in the next few years or they'll be screwed. DL needs to take smaller risks now (e.g. bumping a sub like Alter bridge to headline; saying that Myles is 49 which surprised me :o ) or face larger risks in the future (booking a younger smaller band who say, plays 3rd-4th now to headline for lack of alternatives).

User avatar
Black Wizard
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1327
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:47 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Download Festival 2020

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:48 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:The reason it moved wasn't up-scaling - it was because the ground inside the track was going to be turned into some kind of motocross track. I don't know if it ever actually happened though.

I think it was because Donington Park had made a deal with Bernie Ecclestone to host Formula One and this required an extension of the track from the final corner into the centre of the circuit and back, plus a redeveloped pitlane. That never came to fruition though and the British Grand Prix stayed at Silverstone, where it belongs. The MotoGP has left Donington since that ill fated deal with Bernie and is now at Silverstone too. Download is probably the most lucrative event at the racetrack each year.

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4159
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Download Festival 2020

Postby houston4044 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:49 am

I see DL Paris has been cancelled for second year in a row; add into that the middling success of their other legs and seems DL's international fests are going the same way as Soni.

Not too surprised by the failure of Paris though, no way was anyone going to unseat Hellfest easily.

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4159
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Download Festival 2020

Postby houston4044 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:06 pm

houston4044 wrote:I see DL Paris has been cancelled for second year in a row; add into that the middling success of their other legs and seems DL's international fests are going the same way as Soni.


Turns out I was right, DL Madrid and Australia cancelled as well; leaving only Donington.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:38 am
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Download Festival 2020

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:25 pm

houston4044 wrote:Most of those bands are creeping into their early to mid 50's already; it'll buy them a few extra years grace but it's not the long term solution they need. They need some bands to blow up big in the next few years or they'll be screwed. DL needs to take smaller risks now (e.g. bumping a sub like Alter bridge to headline; saying that Myles is 49 which surprised me :o ) or face larger risks in the future (booking a younger smaller band who say, plays 3rd-4th now to headline for lack of alternatives).


Just to hark back to the convo we were having before - and this is something that's been mulled over at length for a while now but just to add another point - why are we placing the responsibility solely on Download's shoulder as to whether or not a band become big enough to headline? I realise Copping & co are the ones that ultimately need to make it happen but surely some of the blame for newer bands not being booked to headline should lie with a) the current structure of the music industry and b) the bands themselves?
A band just being given the headline slot at Download doesn't automatically make them successful - they still need to achieve that on their own. Alter Bridge are a fine example - good band; I like them and I'm off to see them on tour in December but to say that they're recent albums (whilst consistently good if not spectacular) haven't had the impact of their first two is an understatement. If they'd have built on the momentum of the first two records to craft an album chock full of memorable songs that cracked into the mainstream a la Back in Black, Appetite for Destruction, etc. then they would have headlined by now. The fact that they haven't is their own fault, not Download's.

Luciam
Powermetal Child
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:23 pm

Re: Download Festival 2020

Postby Luciam » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:07 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
houston4044 wrote:Most of those bands are creeping into their early to mid 50's already; it'll buy them a few extra years grace but it's not the long term solution they need. They need some bands to blow up big in the next few years or they'll be screwed. DL needs to take smaller risks now (e.g. bumping a sub like Alter bridge to headline; saying that Myles is 49 which surprised me :o ) or face larger risks in the future (booking a younger smaller band who say, plays 3rd-4th now to headline for lack of alternatives).


Just to hark back to the convo we were having before - and this is something that's been mulled over at length for a while now but just to add another point - why are we placing the responsibility solely on Download's shoulder as to whether or not a band become big enough to headline? I realise Copping & co are the ones that ultimately need to make it happen but surely some of the blame for newer bands not being booked to headline should lie with a) the current structure of the music industry and b) the bands themselves?
A band just being given the headline slot at Download doesn't automatically make them successful - they still need to achieve that on their own. Alter Bridge are a fine example - good band; I like them and I'm off to see them on tour in December but to say that they're recent albums (whilst consistently good if not spectacular) haven't had the impact of their first two is an understatement. If they'd have built on the momentum of the first two records to craft an album chock full of memorable songs that cracked into the mainstream a la Back in Black, Appetite for Destruction, etc. then they would have headlined by now. The fact that they haven't is their own fault, not Download's.


By the same token, and this is something Download is really bad at, they don't take the risk and strike while the iron is hot so to speak. To take your AB example, they were selling out academies fairly easily off the back of Blackbird, until their last tour 8 tracks from Blackbird were still in the set (we'll see how many are left this year), why were they not bumped further off the back of that album, or even ABIII which pushed them into arena's? They didn't get the sub slot until Fortress came out, by which point a lot of the good grace that had been built with Blackbird had worn off.

I think there's a bit of it on both sides, and the industry certainly doesn't help, but Download could help itself (and arguably the industry) by just taking a punt each year if they've got 2 bonafide headliners as well.

To see this year headlined by Alter Bridge, Maiden, SOAD/KISS (you'd want the last KISS UK show) I don't think would've impacted ticket sales all that much

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4159
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Download Festival 2020

Postby houston4044 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:47 am

bloodofthekings wrote:
Just to hark back to the convo we were having before - and this is something that's been mulled over at length for a while now but just to add another point - why are we placing the responsibility solely on Download's shoulder as to whether or not a band become big enough to headline? I realise Copping & co are the ones that ultimately need to make it happen but surely some of the blame for newer bands not being booked to headline should lie with a) the current structure of the music industry and b) the bands themselves?
A band just being given the headline slot at Download doesn't automatically make them successful - they still need to achieve that on their own. Alter Bridge are a fine example - good band; I like them and I'm off to see them on tour in December but to say that they're recent albums (whilst consistently good if not spectacular) haven't had the impact of their first two is an understatement. If they'd have built on the momentum of the first two records to craft an album chock full of memorable songs that cracked into the mainstream a la Back in Black, Appetite for Destruction, etc. then they would have headlined by now. The fact that they haven't is their own fault, not Download's.


It is the fault of Download for newer bands not headlining, they are ones who choose who gets to headline. Yes, you're right they are not responsible for making the bands big enough in the first place (though they can help massively) but it's their job to pull the trigger and make them headliners when they reach that level.

Take your Alter Bridge example, they've been doing arena tours for years now (even with their momentum slowing), and are now playing their second o2 arena date. This is usually the level that qualifies bands as being headliner level; so why are they not being booked as headliners? Sure, it may not work (like you say, they don't have albums chock full of classics) but it's better to take the risk and fail now when you have 2 other big name headliners to act as a draw; than to wait for a few years and all 3 headliners are risks.

This year is a big example, (assuming availability) they've picked SOAD to headline for the 3rd time since releasing new material (3 years after their last appearance) over someone new; hell with Maiden and Kiss they have big draws to fall back on. It just shows that they focus on the short term rather than the long term and eventually that'll come back to haunt them.

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4159
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Download Festival 2020

Postby houston4044 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:25 pm

BOA have kind of done it right this year. JP is going to shift a lot of tickets so they can afford (and probably can only literally afford) two smaller headliners/ new(ish) bump ups and give them a chance without risking sales too badly.

I say kind of right because Behemoth have headlined before and given JP are nigh on the perfect band to carry smaller headliners and I think they could of gone with someone completely new in their place (oh, and not repeated bands so soon :lol: ).

User avatar
Black Wizard
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1327
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:47 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Download Festival 2020

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:16 pm

Machine Head have self-confirmed. Of course they'd on a Download by Numbers line-up. I fully expect Bullet for my Valentine, Trivium, Dragonforce, Killswitch Engage and In Flames to be there too.

Luciam
Powermetal Child
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:23 pm

Re: Download Festival 2020

Postby Luciam » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:35 pm

Black Wizard wrote:Machine Head have self-confirmed. Of course they'd on a Download by Numbers line-up. I fully expect Bullet for my Valentine, Trivium, Dragonforce, Killswitch Engage and In Flames to be there too.


Where'd the self-confirm? Interesting that they'd play Download a week after Ally Pally & Birmingham...

User avatar
Black Wizard
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1327
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:47 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Download Festival 2020

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:55 am

Luciam wrote:Where'd the self-confirm? Interesting that they'd play Download a week after Ally Pally & Birmingham...

There was something on Blabbermouth yesterday about them announcing a load of shows for next year, including Download, but it appears to have been taken down and the most recent Machine Head story is about a guy throwing beer at them in Brixton.

This might have been a case of someone at Blabbermouth jumping the gun and the article has now been removed. I know what I saw, but I do apologise if this turns out to be fake news.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:38 am
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Download Festival 2020

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:29 am

I'd be surprised if MH play considering they said they wouldn't play festivals any more.