Hammerfest 13

Share tour news and event information in here.
slayerslays
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:00 pm
Location: London

Hammerfest 13

Postby slayerslays » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:26 pm

This event is being held next year (we haven't been to this year's yet!) Feb 13-14th in Birmingham at the O2 Academy.
So that's my annual trip to the seaside down the Swanee!

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets
Posts: 1788
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:38 am
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Hammerfest 13

Postby bloodofthekings » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:12 pm

Just seen the first set of bands announced for this - Lordi, Unleashed, Raging Speedhorn, Blaze Bayley and then the usual load of nobodies. Doesn't exactly create much excitement.

Maybe they've realised how awful that new venue in Yarmouth is. We went to HRH in November there and it was so bad it put me off ever going back regardless of how good any future lineup would be.

Presumably this will mean the end of the HRH Metal event that they do in Birmingham every Feb?

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4321
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Hammerfest 13

Postby houston4044 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:53 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:Presumably this will mean the end of the HRH Metal event that they do in Birmingham every Feb?


Overheard the crew lot say it's replacing it.

Personally think the line up has potential (especially for the price); good few bands in there already.

User avatar
Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2255
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Somewhere crap

Re: Hammerfest 13

Postby Skippy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:02 pm

I like Lordi so far but that's about it. Seems like it isn't just Bloodstock struggling to book people, everyone's downsizing. Shame, as Birmingham definitely doesn't have the same vibe as a holiday camp.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4321
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Hammerfest 13

Postby houston4044 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:47 pm

Skippy wrote:I like Lordi so far but that's about it. Seems like it isn't just Bloodstock struggling to book people, everyone's downsizing. Shame, as Birmingham definitely doesn't have the same vibe as a holiday camp.


Really? Doesn't seem that different from previous line ups tbh

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets
Posts: 1788
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:38 am
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Hammerfest 13

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:43 pm

houston4044 wrote:
Skippy wrote:I like Lordi so far but that's about it. Seems like it isn't just Bloodstock struggling to book people, everyone's downsizing. Shame, as Birmingham definitely doesn't have the same vibe as a holiday camp.


Really? Doesn't seem that different from previous line ups tbh


Yeah, seems pretty standard for HRH festivals tbh

User avatar
Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2255
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Somewhere crap

Re: Hammerfest 13

Postby Skippy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:18 pm

houston4044 wrote:
Skippy wrote:I like Lordi so far but that's about it. Seems like it isn't just Bloodstock struggling to book people, everyone's downsizing. Shame, as Birmingham definitely doesn't have the same vibe as a holiday camp.


Really? Doesn't seem that different from previous line ups tbh

I mean I'm assuming Unleashed and Lordi are headliners, which might not be true, seem a lot smaller than other years, coupled with moving to a different venue without anywhere to stay.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5009
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Hammerfest 13

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:03 am

Skippy wrote:
houston4044 wrote:
Skippy wrote:I like Lordi so far but that's about it. Seems like it isn't just Bloodstock struggling to book people, everyone's downsizing. Shame, as Birmingham definitely doesn't have the same vibe as a holiday camp.


Really? Doesn't seem that different from previous line ups tbh

I mean I'm assuming Unleashed and Lordi are headliners, which might not be true, seem a lot smaller than other years, coupled with moving to a different venue without anywhere to stay.


Erm. It's Birmingham....

Loads of accommodation of virtually every type imaginable from cheap hotels or apartments to luxury hotels.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

bloodfiend
Denim Demon
Posts: 3275
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: Hammerfest 13

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:04 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Skippy wrote:
houston4044 wrote:
Really? Doesn't seem that different from previous line ups tbh

I mean I'm assuming Unleashed and Lordi are headliners, which might not be true, seem a lot smaller than other years, coupled with moving to a different venue without anywhere to stay.


Erm. It's Birmingham....

Loads of accommodation of virtually every type imaginable from cheap hotels or apartments to luxury hotels.


As in accomodation isn't part of the festival and isn't included in the ticket price maybe?

Regardless of the amount of hotels in Birmingham, it's still going to be a massively different vibe to everyone staying in static caravans in a holiday camp.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets
Posts: 1788
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:38 am
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Hammerfest 13

Postby bloodofthekings » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:25 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Skippy wrote:I mean I'm assuming Unleashed and Lordi are headliners, which might not be true, seem a lot smaller than other years, coupled with moving to a different venue without anywhere to stay.


Erm. It's Birmingham....

Loads of accommodation of virtually every type imaginable from cheap hotels or apartments to luxury hotels.


As in accomodation isn't part of the festival and isn't included in the ticket price maybe?

Regardless of the amount of hotels in Birmingham, it's still going to be a massively different vibe to everyone staying in static caravans in a holiday camp.


I would expect HRH to link up with various hotels in the area and offer a package including these. Having said that, it would probably be cheaper to "win" tickets and sort out your own accommodation.

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4321
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Hammerfest 13

Postby houston4044 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:47 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
I would expect HRH to link up with various hotels in the area and offer a package including these. Having said that, it would probably be cheaper to "win" tickets and sort out your own accommodation.


True on both counts, they're taking over the Ibis and Holiday Inn nearby. Saying that quick search on internet has found places that are over £100 cheaper...

Skippy wrote:I mean I'm assuming Unleashed and Lordi are headliners, which might not be true, seem a lot smaller than other years, coupled with moving to a different venue without anywhere to stay.


No they're both headliners, Lordi on Saturday and Unleashed on Sunday. I've been comparing them to previous HRH Metal headliners but even then, looking back at Hammerfest I can't see that big of a gap in recent years. This year it's Napalm Death and Korpiklaani, not a big change in size imo.

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:00 pm
Location: London

Re: Hammerfest 13

Postby slayerslays » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:43 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:Just seen the first set of bands announced for this - Lordi, Unleashed, Raging Speedhorn, Blaze Bayley and then the usual load of nobodies. Doesn't exactly create much excitement.

Maybe they've realised how awful that new venue in Yarmouth is. We went to HRH in November there and it was so bad it put me off ever going back regardless of how good any future lineup would be.

Presumably this will mean the end of the HRH Metal event that they do in Birmingham every Feb?


I'm going to Hammerfest this year- not been to Vauxhall Park before- got any tips? Why is it so bad? Is it the food?- (couldn't be any worse than that last year at Pontin's Prestatyn)
They are now doing another festival there next Spring with NWOBHM and Doom bands.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets
Posts: 1788
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:38 am
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Hammerfest 13

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:48 pm

slayerslays wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:Just seen the first set of bands announced for this - Lordi, Unleashed, Raging Speedhorn, Blaze Bayley and then the usual load of nobodies. Doesn't exactly create much excitement.

Maybe they've realised how awful that new venue in Yarmouth is. We went to HRH in November there and it was so bad it put me off ever going back regardless of how good any future lineup would be.

Presumably this will mean the end of the HRH Metal event that they do in Birmingham every Feb?


I'm going to Hammerfest this year- not been to Vauxhall Park before- got any tips? Why is it so bad? Is it the food?- (couldn't be any worse than that last year at Pontin's Prestatyn)
They are now doing another festival there next Spring with NWOBHM and Doom bands.


This was my review of going there for HRH back in November:
"Hard Rock Hell at Vauxhall Holiday Park in Great Yarmouth (no comment on the on-site accommodation as we stayed off-site at a local BnB)

Dear oh dear. I know the change of venue was forced on them without a large amount of notice but fuck me what an absolute shit-show this turned out to be. First off, the sound was fine and of the bands we saw ('saw' being a rather loose term but more on that in a mo) I really enjoyed Those Damn Crows, Diamond Head and Doro, all of whom were great. Praying Mantis were ok but nothing special, Michael Monroe put in a good performance but I was never a big Hanoi Rocks fan so his long set left me a bit bored about half-way through and Zodiac Mindwarp were fucking awful.

But - the bigger issue is the new venue. The main room is a fraction of the size of the old one in Wales with a rather low ceiling, which meant the stage couldn't be raised any further which left a lot of folk struggling to see anything. But the main problem was the VIP & Royalty areas essentially being several rows of seating directly in front of the stage, thus creating a 'golden circle' effect which left everyone else trapped behind a second barrier, unable to get anywhere near the stage.

The problem is that part of what VIP & Royalty pay for is a separate seated section from where they can still see the stage which in Wales is what they got. The issue in this new venue is that there wasn't enough room to accommodate that so they put them directly in front of the stage, thus creating this second barrier which all other customers were effectively stuck behind. Absolutely woeful planning and very ill thought-out as all non-VIP/Royalty customers were pissed off and tbh, plenty of the VIP & Royalty lot were too as all the oldies that are used to being able to see from their seats suddenly couldn't because plenty of those still stood up any way.

When you add in nearly every band we watched also mentioning that they didn't like that setup either it basically ended up being an absolute cock up that pleased nobody. 

Another knock-on effect of this which I noticed is that a lot of the standard customers were in a heightened state of annoyance at not being able to see the stage - this led to the more twattish element of the crowd taking this out on people like me because I happen to be taller than average (6"5) - on 3 separate occasions over 2 days (and given that we only watched 6 bands that's a high ratio), people were pestering me to move and trying to make me feel bad for 'blocking their view' (one of these occasions turned into outright abuse).
Now, I should clarify that on each of these occasions, I didn't surge forward right before the band came on - every single time I was either stood in the same spot for a long time (over an hour) or I was returning from the bar/toilet back to where I was originally stood (next to my wife I might add) but to a few particular cunts this obviously made no difference. I have no problem standing towards the back if I'm late in to a gig so as to not to move forward and block the view of folk that have been in the room for a while but if I've been stood in a particular spot for a long time, don't fucking come tap me on the shoulder and try and pressure me to move just because you couldn't be arsed getting in the room early enough - people who do that really piss me off.

All in all, we will definitely not be going back to any of the HRH events at this venue."

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:00 pm
Location: London

Re: Hammerfest 13

Postby slayerslays » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:16 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
slayerslays wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:Just seen the first set of bands announced for this - Lordi, Unleashed, Raging Speedhorn, Blaze Bayley and then the usual load of nobodies. Doesn't exactly create much excitement.

Maybe they've realised how awful that new venue in Yarmouth is. We went to HRH in November there and it was so bad it put me off ever going back regardless of how good any future lineup would be.

Presumably this will mean the end of the HRH Metal event that they do in Birmingham every Feb?


I'm going to Hammerfest this year- not been to Vauxhall Park before- got any tips? Why is it so bad? Is it the food?- (couldn't be any worse than that last year at Pontin's Prestatyn)
They are now doing another festival there next Spring with NWOBHM and Doom bands.


This was my review of going there for HRH back in November:
"Hard Rock Hell at Vauxhall Holiday Park in Great Yarmouth (no comment on the on-site accommodation as we stayed off-site at a local BnB)

Dear oh dear. I know the change of venue was forced on them without a large amount of notice but fuck me what an absolute shit-show this turned out to be. First off, the sound was fine and of the bands we saw ('saw' being a rather loose term but more on that in a mo) I really enjoyed Those Damn Crows, Diamond Head and Doro, all of whom were great. Praying Mantis were ok but nothing special, Michael Monroe put in a good performance but I was never a big Hanoi Rocks fan so his long set left me a bit bored about half-way through and Zodiac Mindwarp were fucking awful.

But - the bigger issue is the new venue. The main room is a fraction of the size of the old one in Wales with a rather low ceiling, which meant the stage couldn't be raised any further which left a lot of folk struggling to see anything. But the main problem was the VIP & Royalty areas essentially being several rows of seating directly in front of the stage, thus creating a 'golden circle' effect which left everyone else trapped behind a second barrier, unable to get anywhere near the stage.

The problem is that part of what VIP & Royalty pay for is a separate seated section from where they can still see the stage which in Wales is what they got. The issue in this new venue is that there wasn't enough room to accommodate that so they put them directly in front of the stage, thus creating this second barrier which all other customers were effectively stuck behind. Absolutely woeful planning and very ill thought-out as all non-VIP/Royalty customers were pissed off and tbh, plenty of the VIP & Royalty lot were too as all the oldies that are used to being able to see from their seats suddenly couldn't because plenty of those still stood up any way.

When you add in nearly every band we watched also mentioning that they didn't like that setup either it basically ended up being an absolute cock up that pleased nobody. 

Another knock-on effect of this which I noticed is that a lot of the standard customers were in a heightened state of annoyance at not being able to see the stage - this led to the more twattish element of the crowd taking this out on people like me because I happen to be taller than average (6"5) - on 3 separate occasions over 2 days (and given that we only watched 6 bands that's a high ratio), people were pestering me to move and trying to make me feel bad for 'blocking their view' (one of these occasions turned into outright abuse).
Now, I should clarify that on each of these occasions, I didn't surge forward right before the band came on - every single time I was either stood in the same spot for a long time (over an hour) or I was returning from the bar/toilet back to where I was originally stood (next to my wife I might add) but to a few particular cunts this obviously made no difference. I have no problem standing towards the back if I'm late in to a gig so as to not to move forward and block the view of folk that have been in the room for a while but if I've been stood in a particular spot for a long time, don't fucking come tap me on the shoulder and try and pressure me to move just because you couldn't be arsed getting in the room early enough - people who do that really piss me off.

All in all, we will definitely not be going back to any of the HRH events at this venue."


Thanks for that. Sounds like a total joke. I am short, an oldie and I've got VIP....sounds like I'm gonna be royally screwed!