Third Headliner Possibilities

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Third Headliner Possibilities

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:23 pm

We have two thirds of the 2018 headliners already, Gojira and Nightwish, both of whom I think are going to be great headliners. With only one headliner left we should be able to work out who it is between us, right?

So far this is all I've thought of:

Judas Priest - seems like they're asked for every year and Bloodstock ask them every year, and fail every year. They're probably unlikely now that Nightwish have the Sunday slot and probably aren't all that cheap.
Helloween - the Pumpkins Reunited tour with Michael Kiske and Kai Hansen runs in Europe until mid-December then they have a few shows in Japan in Spring. I can see them continuing the tour into the summer with the European festivals, particularly Wacken.

So who else is a possibility for the Friday night? I guess Slayer might be available again. :ugh:

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Re: Third Headliner Possibilities

Postby Jay1993 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:57 pm

I'm wondering if Electric Wizard are a possibility. Not sure if they're big enough but I suppose Friday night usually has the smaller headliner. A UK based band who've been around for over 20 years yet have never played Bloodstock so are very overdue. Also noticed them being played on the screens at Bloodstock this year. Otherwise I would love for them to headline the Sophie tent one night.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:25 pm

Sabaton.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

DrunkanSurly
Lowly Peon

Postby DrunkanSurly » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:50 pm

Skippy wrote:Sabaton.

Yes I said the last time they played that the next time they play Bloodstock they will headline it so if its not next year it will surely be the year after

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:07 am

Sabaton are the ones that spring to mind for me. Personally, I had them pegged as headlining a little before Gojira.

Outside of that, I'm not sure. At the heavier end of the spectrum, they could always try for Emperor again (though that wouldn't interest me personally).

There is always a chance we will get someone akin to Machine Head or Killswitch Engage too.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:29 am

Jay1993 wrote:I'm wondering if Electric Wizard are a possibility. Not sure if they're big enough but I suppose Friday night usually has the smaller headliner. A UK based band who've been around for over 20 years yet have never played Bloodstock so are very overdue. Also noticed them being played on the screens at Bloodstock this year. Otherwise I would love for them to headline the Sophie tent one night.

Possibly Sophie but probably too big for that given the other bands booked for that slot. Certainly not big enough for topping the bill - they play smaller venues And many of their crowd wouldn't go to BOA and unlikely to change for one band. Personally, they're a band I should like but never warmed to and they were awful live.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:15 am

of the ones that have been suggested so far:

Judas Priest - clearly not gonna happen, a large amount would have already been spent getting Nightwish, and Priest always price themselves out.
Helloween - once again, likely to be too expensive for what they are, wouldn't get a huge crowd and wouldn't justify the fee.
Electric Wizard - nowhere near main stage headline level, but would make a great Sophie headliner...that said, they've been dire the last couple of times I've seen them.
Sabaton - a definite possibility considering they've been recycling headliners from 3 years ago for the last 2 years.
Machine Head - maybe, hardly blew the place apart last time though, and there doesn't seem to have been much demand for them back
Killswitch Engage - definitely big enough, but I really hope it's not them!

I guess they'll probably go for a more mainstream headliner, so Sabaton, Rob Zombie, Killswitch Engage, Disturbed, Machine Head, Korn and Lamb Of God are are possibilities...I'd hate them all except Sabaton though.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:19 am

Skippy wrote:Sabaton.

I had considered Sabaton. In fact I said to a friend on Friday night that both Gojira and Sabaton play at Bloodstock approximately every two years and move up the bill every time. But bringing back both of them as first-time headliners? I think that seems unlikely. I also don't think there would be any barriers to announcing them straight away as they don't seem to have much commitments officially announced yet. They're bound to have a new album out next year though, going by their recent frequency, so if not headliners next year then almost certainly in 2019.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:24 pm

I'd be happy with Sabaton. I hope it's someone I like as I can't abide either of the choices so far and would like to see at least one headliner I'd enjoy.

Still think Priest are too expensive, Manowar remain out of the question, Helloween probably aren't a big enough draw (and haven't even said how long they'll be doing this reunion thing for). Emperor would be great, considering they've left the UK out of this year's plans altogether. What about Opeth? They're due a return.

Killing_time
Paster of Muppets

Postby Killing_time » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:33 pm

Can't see 2 power metal headliners so i doubt Sabaton will be the 3rd headliner. I'd wager on Watain or Emperor.

Death to Power Pop!! It should go down with the sinking ship that is Download festival.

JPMC
Warrior of Metal

Postby JPMC » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:58 pm

I fully expect Emperor.

They're currently touring the Anthem's anniversary record so that's who my money is on.

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby cheesemason » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:36 pm

If Emperor play next year, I think it could be as special guests. They only play a little over an hour anyway. Don't think its actually going to happen tho as nothing booked for next summer yet.

Think if anything happens in the UK it will be a London date in late winter when their other two Euro dates are next year

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:10 pm

Killing_time wrote:Can't see 2 power metal headliners

Given that neither Nightwish or Gojira are power metal, that's not an issue.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:21 pm

JPMC wrote:I fully expect Emperor.

They're currently touring the Anthem's anniversary record so that's who my money is on.

I would be very surprised if it's Emperor, they've toured Anthems in 2017 for the anniversary, but there's no evidence that this'll continue into 2018.

Emperor doing Anthems isn't anywhere near as much of a pull as them doing Nightside was, saw the Anthems set at Graspop in June and it was nowhere near as good as them doing Nightside, definitely not a headline worthy set.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:41 pm

bloodfiend wrote:Killswitch Engage - definitely big enough, but I really hope it's not them!

I guess they'll probably go for a more mainstream headliner...

I would really like to see Killswitch Engage again (it's been ten-and-a-half years!) but I can't really see them fitting in at Bloodstock. Off the top of my head, the most similar bands who have played at Bloodstock are Trivium and As I Lay Dying. I don't even know what Trivium sound like since 'The Crusade' and As I Lay Dying played eight years ago (and don't exist anymore for reasons). I did spot a couple of Killswitch Engage t-shirts last weekend but is there a big enough market for them at Bloodstock?

And you don't consider Nightwish to be a mainstream headliner? Sold out Wembley Arena, subheadlined Download festival to Iron Maiden and their most recent album was top 20 in the UK. They're kind of a big deal. Killswitch Engage's last two albums have also been top 20 (the most recent was at 10) but they supported Bullet for my Valentine in Academy venues. Nightwish are going to be the big fish at Bloodstock 2018 and I can't see another "mainstream" headliner cropping up.