Third Headliner Possibilities

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
houston4044
Denim Demon

Re: Third Headliner Possibilities

Postby houston4044 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:02 pm

Five Finger Death Punch- Played Download this year and Reading the year before and have some arena dates in November? Would fit into the "commercial" headliner slot and seen a few t-shirts around

Alice Cooper- New album out, has an upcoming UK tour in November, has played BOA before and would fit the bill if they're going for a "classic" 3rd headliner

Marilyn Manson- As much as I dislike him, he's the right size to headline and while he's not exactly consistent live (didn't stop 810 this year) he is still a big draw. Has a UK tour this year so unlikely to do his own tour next year as well.

Korn- Played Download last year and are doing Reading this year, would be the right size for the final headliner though and would fit the bill for being the "commerical" headliner.

Devin Townsend- Has made headway in the UK since his last appearance at BOA, played Download and Ramblin' Man this year so I doubt he'd play either next year if he were to tour the UK. Though he plays smaller venues than the other bands I've mentioned I'd feel he has more in common with the BOA crowd than the others. That and given his track record, he's not adverse to doing a special set to give him more drawing power if BOA were to twist his arm :P

Personally I'd go for Alice Cooper or Devin because if it's any of the other ones then that's 3 headliners I wouldn't care much for :lol:

As for Sabaton I'm 50/50 now on them appearing now, unless they're saving money it would be a gamble having 2 new headliners in 1 year (yes I know both drew massive crowds last time but who is to say they would do the same as the biggest draw of their respective days?). That would also leave Nightwish as the biggest headliner next year, given they've only done 1 Wembley date it would be a big punt for BOA to follow up their first sell out year with two new headliners who have only done Brixton and 1 who have only done the one arena date in comparison to previous years.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Judas Priest - I think they're an option, but they are probably too costly.
Emperor - I think Anthems is still a headline worthy set, especially as they still have the rarity.
Helloween - Yeah I could see it, but I personally wouldn't care for it.
Sabaton - Hope not. Yawn.

Electric Wizard I would peg as a Sophie headliner, and a great one at that!

Outliers would be a return of Machine Head, or possibly Killswitch Engage. Watain would also be solid, but I'm not sure if they would have made the jump to headliner status yet. Other than that, I'm honestly drawing a blank.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:40 am

Black Wizard wrote:
And you don't consider Nightwish to be a mainstream headliner? Sold out Wembley Arena, subheadlined Download festival to Iron Maiden and their most recent album was top 20 in the UK. They're kind of a big deal. Killswitch Engage's last two albums have also been top 20 (the most recent was at 10) but they supported Bullet for my Valentine in Academy venues. Nightwish are going to be the big fish at Bloodstock 2018 and I can't see another "mainstream" headliner cropping up.

I do see them as a mainstream headliner, but one that fits well with the Bloodstock audience, they played one of the first indoors in 2003, and headlined in 2008 and have always been very popular with BOA fans, so it that respect NW are much less of a stretch than the likes of Killswitch Engage.

VizardAmata wrote:
Outliers would be a return of Machine Head, or possibly Killswitch Engage. Watain would also be solid, but I'm not sure if they would have made the jump to headliner status yet. Other than that, I'm honestly drawing a blank.

No way would Watain be headliners, they were 3rd down last time (only ended up getting the SG slot due cos of their wierd request to "darken the skies" when they play. The festival has grown since then and they wouldn't get a bigger slot than 3rd down, SG is too big for them too. Plus if rumours are true, they really pissed the organisers off when they played, and the chances of them coming back are pretty much zero.

Emperor wise, Anthems doesn't have the pull of Nightside, and they're not going to do to the anniversary tour forever, I can't see it continuing into next year.

Alice Cooper surely very unlikely too, he'd take the Sunday headlining slot or nothing.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:50 am

houston4044 wrote:Five Finger Death Punch
Alice Cooper
Marilyn Manson
Korn
Devin Townsend

I know almost nothing about Five Finger Death Punch. I did see a few t-shirts at Bloodstock last weekend and a few Blabbermouth articles about them have cropped up but I've never listened to them. Should I bother? What sort of Metal are they?

I'd be OK with Alice Cooper but I've never been particularly bother by him, apart from 'Poison', and he's headlined pretty recently so people here would complain about repeats again. He'd be a bloody expensive headliner too I think.

Marilyn Manson is extremely dull live, and his music sucks. How he can sell out an arena tour I will never understand.

Korn suck too. I've never been interested in them. I wouldn't like to see Bloodstock go in this direction either. If we have Korn one year, then it could be Limp Bizkit the next and the whole image of the festival changes in a few years. I'm certainly not a Bloodstock veteran but I think it would be a shame for Korn or Marilyn Manson to appear at Bloodstock as it pisses over the history of the festival a bit.

I doubt that Devin Townsend is big enough, but to be fair I don't really pay attention to him. I did enjoy his set at Sonisphere a few years ago though.

Bizza
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Bizza » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:16 am

Alice Cooper was 2012, I wouldn't call that pretty recent.

It's most likely going to be Emperor, Sabaton or Saxon.
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:41 am

Bizza wrote:Alice Cooper was 2012, I wouldn't call that pretty recent.

It's most likely going to be Emperor, Sabaton or Saxon.

One of those four would be vastly more palatable than most of the suggestions so far.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:41 am

2012: back in the dark ages. :P

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:22 am

Saxon would do me just fine
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:32 am

bloodfiend wrote:
VizardAmata wrote:

No way would Watain be headliners, they were 3rd down last time (only ended up getting the SG slot due cos of their wierd request to "darken the skies" when they play. The festival has grown since then and they wouldn't get a bigger slot than 3rd down, SG is too big for them too. Plus if rumours are true, they really pissed the organisers off when they played, and the chances of them coming back are pretty much zero.

Emperor wise, Anthems doesn't have the pull of Nightside, and they're not going to do to the anniversary tour forever, I can't see it continuing into next year.

Yeah true, I forgot that that was why they were in the SG slot. I've heard the rumours, and tbh I think they are true so that does ruin their chances of returning in any slot, really. A shame, but it is what it is.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:29 pm

Emperor have just been confirmed for the Netherlands Death Fest in Tilburg next March, so they are continuing to headline festivals next year. Doesn't mention whether they're playing Anthems though (which is on a par with Nightside for me so I'd be more than ok with it being played).

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:35 pm

Could we see Mastodon return as a headliner? Looks like they've got a new album on the horizon and are touring throughout December.

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:46 pm

Jay1993 wrote:Could we see Mastodon return as a headliner? Looks like they've got a new album on the horizon and are touring throughout December.

I really hope not.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:25 pm

Soze wrote:Emperor have just been confirmed for the Netherlands Death Fest in Tilburg next March, so they are continuing to headline festivals next year. Doesn't mention whether they're playing Anthems though (which is on a par with Nightside for me so I'd be more than ok with it being played).

Sweet! I'd be pretty pleased with Anthems too, it's only a tiny bit below Nightside for me. A mixed set would also be just fine, too. :D

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:47 pm

Jay1993 wrote:Could we see Mastodon return as a headliner? Looks like they've got a new album on the horizon and are touring throughout December.

Trivium also have a new album on the way (or already released?) so could be in line to return, although I suspect they caused a lot of rage here when they were announced as headliners for 2015. They're bound to be at Download next year anyway, they're a fixture there.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:50 pm

Black Wizard wrote:

Trivium also have a new album on the way (or already released?) so could be in line to return, although I suspect they caused a lot of rage here when they were announced as headliners for 2015. They're bound to be at Download next year anyway, they're a fixture there.

Doubt Trivium will be invited back after the embarassingly small crowd they pulled in 2015. The organisers aren't going to admit it publicly as it doesn't look good but it can't have escaped their attention