Next announcement

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Re: Next announcement

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:28 pm

Skippy wrote:
Venom Inc. do nothing for me either, never liked Venom let alone a covers band.

It is Venom. Every member of Venom Inc was in Venom including the two that wrote all the songs. It's a bit like Heaven And Hell not being able to use Black Sabbath as someone else owns the name.

It's the other band which is just the singer/bass player and friends. And he was kicked out of the original band in 1987 to be replaced by the one in Venom Inc.

At least with Venom Inc they play the songs properly.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

JD_B3E5
Warrior of Metal

Postby JD_B3E5 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:17 pm

Would've preferred Death Angel as the Saturday Sophie stage headliner. Really disappointed with only one Thrash band on the lineup (Suicidal Tendencies). Where's Exodus, Sodom and Overkill? :rolleyes:

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:05 pm

Skippy wrote:Venom Inc. do nothing for me either, never liked Venom let alone a covers band.

The Venom cover band is the one that played a couple of years back. This is proper Venom. It has the two original formative members who wrote most of the music whereas the band carrying the Venom name are just Cronos and 2 randoms. Cronos wasn't even an original member.

Venom inc. are the only band I'm interested in here, they were superb at the Underworld the other year but I'll be catching them next month on their UK tour anyway. I'd never heard of this Jasta guy but rolled my eyes when I found it he's in Hatebreed. They play every other year as it is, he's like the house entertainer. It remains highly unlikely that I'll be going.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:59 pm

The line up isn't really working for me this year. Maybe if they got carcass, at the gates, iced earth, power trip and benighted I might change my mind ha ha. Probably end up with king 810 coming back to do a set with the full band instead. Interesting that they bigged that band up so much and they can't even sell out the camden underworld, tickets are only 13 quid too. That's like 1998 prices.

I'd prefer to go to brutal assault that weekend instead. Just a shame it runs Wednesday to Saturday
I see the bad moon arising.

ScrumpiesVeteran
Leather Rebel

Postby ScrumpiesVeteran » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:20 pm

Venom Inc and Orphaned Land are great, but having to waiting until Gojira have finished to watch OL is lousy. Still not enough to convince me for a weekend ticket but if sales go well, they may not end up having day tickets either

If Orphaned Land are headliners, why are VOLA listed above them ?
ScrumpiesVeteran: "a great big bloke that smells of apples" - NOT !!!!

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:18 pm

Not a great announcement for me personally. What's the deal with Venom Inc? I understand they released a new album in 2017 but will they be playing much of the older Venom material? Will it be similar material to what Venom played in 2016? I will definitely watch them to see how they compare and it will be good to see more of the original Venom members. I'm also confused as to why they are under Combichrist but hopefully that's just an error :lol:

Never heard of Jasta before the announcement but had an inkling it was related to Hatebreed's Jamey Jasta. I'm not a Hatebreed fan so I don't think I'll enjoy this side project but will give them a listen to find out. Interesting that some of the special guests that will be joining him are from Down, Crowbar and Kingdom of Sorrow so I wonder if we will see them on the bill?

I actually really enjoyed Orphaned Land in 2014 and would happily watch them headline the Sophie tent. A bit gutted that Electric Wizard didn't get the final slot though :lol: Not heard of Vola before but will give them a go.

bloodblind
Consort of the Beast

Postby bloodblind » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:13 pm

Pretty underwhelmed by the line up this year. Will need some better announcements to get me to go this year. Apart from Emperor, Judas Priest, Memorium, bloodbath maybe MrBig and Sucidal Tendancies there’s nothing here for me. Looks like only a Friday ticket this year so far and that’ll be the first year I’ve ever considered this

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:50 pm

Jay1993 wrote: will they be playing much of the older Venom material? Will it be similar material to what Venom played in 2016?

Never heard of Jasta before the announcement but had an inkling it was related to Hatebreed's Jamey Jasta. I'm not a Hatebreed fan so I don't think I'll enjoy this side project but will give them a listen to find out

I think Venom Inc just play stuff off the first 3 I think? It's pretty much stuff off the albums the members were on.

Jasta just sounds like Hatebreed B-sides, tinkers around with the formula a little bit but tbh I'd rather have Hatebreed back, might be a repeat but why get a meh substitute when we could have the real thing.

Saturday is just a write off for me so far, so far either bands I don't like or am only a casual fan of at best. Friday and Sunday held promise but that seems to be dimming after each subsequent announcement.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:18 pm

JD_B3E5 wrote:Where's Exodus, Sodom and Overkill? :rolleyes:

Perhaps in the next announcement?

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:59 am

There is enough in the line up so far for me (despite the decline in bands announced) to guarantee my attendance.

However, I want to see some thrash announced and some folk metal added as I will be spending a lot of time in the campsite with a huge bag of cans otherwise!
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:21 am

At the Underworld gig, Venom inc. started with the song 'Prime Evil', which was the title track of the first non Cronos Venom album (which had the same line up as Venom inc.), from there on in it was all tracks from the classic era, 1981-1985, first 4 albums and related singles/EPs. They now also play stuff from the album they released last year (which is better than anything Cronos' Venom have released since 2000).

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:29 pm

Venom inc. And orphaned Land are nice additions for me. As others have said, it will be interesting to see the comparison between Venom inc and Venom (who I thought where sold, but underwhelming, especially when considering that I love the first 3 records so much).

I'm loving the line-up so far, but would really like Iced Earth or Powerwolf to up the melodic power quota.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:28 pm

Venom Inc gets me one for the bingo, and takes the total of bands I like to 4.

Two bands I don't like, and one I've never heard of, but almost certainly won't if they're prog.

Not looking likely for a return. Makes me wonder if the lineup really is just terrible or if I'm just a miserable bastard.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:49 pm

jwh20 wrote:Not looking likely for a return. Makes me wonder if the lineup really is just terrible or if I'm just a miserable bastard.

Well, if you think it's terrible it's also likely to make you miserable I guess! The Friday is still a consideration for me, I love Emperor, Priest are obviously a draw and the likes of ST, Doro and Bloodbath are all entertaining enough, even if none of them are bands I'd make the effort to see individually. The Sunday only has Venom and the Sunday has fuck all. There isn't a single band booked for Sunday yet that I'd bother to see even if given a free ticket.

Whilst I'm in here, seeing as this seems to be the liveliest thread...anyone who hasn't voted in the album of the year thread yet please feel free to do so, we've only had 14 people vote so far, there must be more of you!!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:53 pm

I think it's pretty poor to be honest.

Started off being a bit meh with two headlining bands that aren't ones I like, but I thought are pretty good for the festival. Then came the big hitters of Judas Priest and Emperor. But since then it's been one or two that I would watch and a hell of a lot of crap that nobody seems to want (even on the FB page most of the bands have been greeted with ambivalence).

So far I have five that I would definitely watch. Four almost certainly unless they clash with something better.

The rest is stuff that I would avoid if they were playing locally and I had a free ticket.

Sunday is a total washout with only Watain being of vague interest. Four bands that day being actually joke bands.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp