Next announcement

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Re: Next announcement

Postby Jay1993 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:27 pm

bloodblind wrote:Power trip would be excellent. Would love to see someone like Hooded Menace, Temple of Void or Acid witch

Oh man Acid Witch would be awesome!

houston4044 wrote:Eh? Just off the top of my head theres been Gurt, Iron Rat, Left for Red, Black Moth and Ohhms. There's plenty of stoner metal at BOA.

Oh yeah there always tends to be a fair bit of stoner on the smaller stages, I was talking more about the lack of well known stoner bands like dclizardking mentioned. There's only really been COC, Down and Crowbar (more sludge) on the main stage over the years. I came across Atragon on the Jager stage last year though and they've become one of my favourite stoner bands! :yes:

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:41 am

Killing_time wrote:Thrash is dead

Killing_time wrote:Korn are still relevant

These two statements are total nonsense. Did you watch Kreator last year? So dead.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:08 am

houston4044 wrote:
Jay1993 wrote: I would argue that the most under represented genre in terms of well known bands is stoner with Corrosion of Conformity being the only band close to that genre that I've seen at BOA!

Eh? Just off the top of my head theres been Gurt, Iron Rat, Left for Red, Black Moth and Ohhms. There's plenty of stoner metal at BOA.

[quote="dclizardking"]

There was the 'well known' caveat in there - most of those can't fill a phone box and lurk on all dayer bills in pubs. For main-stage it's been CoC, Down, Orange Goblin (who shed the stonery stuff ages ago but still have the association from the early albums) and Graveyard was busy when they moved into the tent. There's only a handful that have a big crossover with metal - Clutch being probably the biggest, then Monster Magnet, but as much as 'stoner' stuff is my main listening, I'd rather pay to see Desertfest do it well than BoA doing a half arsed attempt at being diverse by having token bands instead of metal ones that also lurk about in pubs.

As for doom, yep agree. More fitting with a metal festival than stoner and the likes of Trouble, Candlemass type bands are missing but when CM played HRH doom there were far fewer that night than at OG so even with a 10 quid ticket they're not much of a draw and I've been in half empty clubs for Pentgram (now depleted without Bobby), Vitus and anything Winos done.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:00 pm

dclizardking wrote:As for Folk Metal, that seemed to enjoy a spell about 6 or 7 years ago of being heavily booked and always went down a storm, Turisas, Finntroll, Koriklaani etc all had good crowds and really got them going, but recently the bookers have for whatever reason largely ignored the genre.

Im probably biased as its my favourite genre but I do find the lack of bigger folk metal names in recent years pretty weird because when they did book it the bands always pulled big crowds.

Seems odd to just stop doing something that works

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:04 pm

Well Devin Townsend has posted saying he's put DTP on ice and will be working on new projects. He won't be playing live till next year so he won't be SG
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:26 pm

Devin certainly pissed on my chips with that announcement :(

Saxon for SG please.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:10 pm

That could happen. They're playing a festival in the Czech Republic the weekend before. However, they're down to play Hard Rock Hell in November:

I couldn't find any mention of that show being a UK festival exclusive but it could be.

As for the Trivium suggestion, I would be very underwhelmed by them as special guest. (Which would fit well with recent announcements!) They're not a band I have any particular problem with but I just don't have any interest in them anymore. When 'Ascendancy' came out in 2005 I was a massive fan but a couple of years later they'd changed and my music taste had changed. The two did not change together. I've heard bits of their recent stuff and it sounds OK and if I were to give them a chance I'd probably like it, but I just don't care anymore.

I still think Epica are a decent shout for special guest (Wacken the weekend before and an Austrian festival the weekend after Bloodstock). To be announced on Tuesday April 17th. :P

JD_B3E5
Warrior of Metal

Postby JD_B3E5 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:10 am

Nu Metal is dead :lol:

Killing_time
Paster of Muppets

Postby Killing_time » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:59 pm

JD_B3E5 wrote:

Nu Metal is dead :lol:

Nu Metal is making a comeback boi! Best dig-out you baggy jeans and start spiking your hair up :D Don't forget the chain attached to your jeans either

Death to Power Pop!! It should go down with the sinking ship that is Download festival.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:13 pm

bloodblind wrote:Power trip would be excellent. Would love to see someone like Hooded Menace, Temple of Void or Acid witch

Wow someone other than me who's heard of Temple of Void.
I see the bad moon arising.

Bizza
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Bizza » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:08 pm

BLOODSTOCK brings you MUSCLE 2 THE MASSES!

Following on from last year’s awesome show in the festival arena, BLOODSTOCK HQ is excited to announce the return of our very popular Strongman team, but there’s a difference this year! In 2018, in collaboration with our friends at 100%CA we are opening up the Strongman competition to the very strongest of the BLOODSTOCK fan base! If you think you have what’s required to be up there with the strongest in the country, check out one of the following two event links and enter for your chance to actually compete with the strongmen at this year’s BLOODSTOCK and be the winner of our first ever amateur BLOODSTOCK’s Strongest Man.

:rolleyes:
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:42 pm

someone else wrote:Well Devin Townsend has posted saying he's put DTP on ice and will be working on new projects. He won't be playing live till next year so he won't be SG

On top of the Slayer news and some tv shows I like coming to an end, this is just the cherry on top of the crap pile for me first world problems I know

Black Wizard wrote:

I couldn't find any mention of that show being a UK festival exclusive but it could be.

Well they're doing some shows soon in March? (theres a thread somewhere) in the UK already anyway; that and don't think HRH get many/any exclusives anyway, most headliners to events I've attended do so amongst a larger UK tour.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:41 pm

someone else wrote:Well Devin Townsend has posted saying he's put DTP on ice and will be working on new projects. He won't be playing live till next year so he won't be SG

Thank god for that.

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:35 am

Vicky just posted to the Rock Soc FB page saying next announcement on 6th of Feb.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:07 pm

fluffkitten wrote:Vicky just posted to the Rock Soc FB page saying next announcement on 6th of Feb.

:D

Probably Sophie bands at this point