Next announcement

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Tankplanker
Consort of the Beast

Re: Next announcement

Postby Tankplanker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:03 am

I'm seeing CC on Saturday so not massively pleased that they are on the bill for me personally as I could have saved some cash despite being in the minority here and actually quite like them.

Friday and Saturday have turned out pretty good for me, plenty I want to see mixed with a few I don't mind seeing. Sunday I'm still struggling with, I'd wish they would split up the bands a bit better than they have.

I can totally see how other people would be fed up with them being added. Just feels like by the numbers choice I thought it would be, picked because they wanted a well known band.

I have no idea about the other bands on this announcement, will need to check them out.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:06 am

Bleed From Within are crap. At least they were when I saw them support Megadave in Glasgow nearly five years ago.

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:11 am

Tankplanker wrote:I'm seeing CC on Saturday so not massively pleased that they are on the bill for me personally as I could have saved some cash despite being in the minority here and actually quite like them

Basically how I feel, a band I like, but a band that doesn't excite me as a bloodstock booking as they're touring right now, and tour regularly.

Cause it doesn't sell out til late, I'm just waiting to see if someone gives up the booked leave for the metal days week, if not I'll go to this

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:29 am

How boring, but predictable I guess. They clearly spent too much money on Priest. Bleed from Within suck too. Godthrym sound like they might be up my alley though.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:58 am

We waited this long for CC? Anti-climatic. I'm a big JP fan but I hope this is the last time BOA spaff the budget on a mega headliner, the mediocre undercard isn't worth it. Is this the first time a band had fallen a slot but now risen again?

Cannibal Corpse- Ehhhh, a band I listen to every now and again and do have a small interest in them but not that excited to see them again. I remember I left part way through last time they played as it just got stale. I'll probably see them again (not that I have much to do Saturday anyway) but waste of a slot.

Godthrymm- Sounds alright on record but I doubt I'd enjoy it live so I'll just pass on them

Bleed From Within- Had to endure this band 4 times now and each time they've been woeful (and I don't mean to jump on any bandwagons here) it's just bog standard breakdowns with generic riffing thrown on top.

Underside- Given the quick listen they sound ok, remember reading about them a few months ago, congrats to them for getting the world tour they were wishing for.

The Sophie stage looks pretty dire taken as a whole now, save for only a few gems. Saturday is a near write off...fuuuuunnn

florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Postby florencethemachine » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:07 pm

I can definitely understand people being frustrated as CC is an uninspired booking from the perspective of ensuring a musically varied lineup. However, from a business perspective, Cannibal Corpse had a huuuuuge crowd at Bloodstock last time they played so I can kind of understand why they went with the safe option.

Helloween I suspect would have been out of budget and I can see the rest of the lineup being made up of package deals and relative unknowns. For me personally, this year has a very solid lineup. My only question is why the hell is Pallbearer so low down on the Sophie? They are bigger than all the bands on that stage bar the headliners. I am aware they may get bumped up or might have to play early due to scheduling conflicts.

Bizza
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Bizza » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:18 pm

Meh.

Saturday is looking pretty poor, Orden Ogan and Alestorm aside.
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:25 pm

Had a feeling it would be Cannibal Corpse :lol: Slightly underwhelmed as I'm literally seeing them tonight but I know I'll still enjoy them if I catch them again at Bloodstock. In fact if they clash with Exhorder I'll be torn as to who to see! Exhorder have the rarity factor though so I'd probably go for them.

I've heard of Bleed from Within but never listened to them. Not heard of anything from the others either so more for me to check out.

The lack of thrash compared to previous years is crazy when you compare line up posters :o

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:26 pm

houston4044 wrote: Is this the first time a band had fallen a slot but now risen again?

Thought Arch Enemy had but they were SG each time they played.

Assuming we're ignoring Evil Scarecrow? Started as a Dio opener (2008), rose up the Sophie stage then back to opening main then going up main?

Floor's kind of done it. 3rd down with After Forever (but at the indoor fest rather than BOA, then 7th down with ReVamp and now headlining with Nightwish.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

Hotchilidog
Powermetal Child

Postby Hotchilidog » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:27 pm

I'd agree with those who are underwhelmed by the CC announcement, I like 'em but am not a huge fan. That said the rest of the line up is pretty decent for me so far and varied in terms of styles.

Quite frankly Bloodstock had me at Priest, but chuck in Emperor, Doro, Watain, At The Gates, Venom Inc, Bloodbath then I am sold. Also looking forward to Septic Flesh, Orden Ogan, King Leviathan, Pallbearer and a few others. Thought Gojira were excellent last time out and am looking forward to their headline set.

We still have the Thursday night Sophie line-up to come and then the New Blood bands to check out. Would have liked to have seen Accept or Helloween sneak onto this line up but there is still plenty for me to enjoy this year.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:51 pm

i0th wrote:Assuming we're ignoring Evil Scarecrow?

If only we could. I would recommend that as sound advice regardless of the context in which we're discussing!

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:53 pm

So with 7 bands each day on the main stage now, which are all "name" bands, you can almost guarantee the last 2 bands for each day are going to the first 2 bands that play and are going to be filler nobodies like Broken Teeth, Forever Still, Cambion, Hark, Beholder, Stormbringer etc

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:28 pm

i0th wrote:
houston4044 wrote: Is this the first time a band had fallen a slot but now risen again?

Assuming we're ignoring Evil Scarecrow? Started as a Dio opener (2008), rose up the Sophie stage then back to opening main then going up main?

Floor's kind of done it. 3rd down with After Forever (but at the indoor fest rather than BOA, then 7th down with ReVamp and now headlining with Nightwish.

I wasn't ignoring ES, I didn't realize they had done the same. So this would be the first "high profile" one then? Thing is, nothing against CC but it's got to be for budgetary or availability reasons surely? The last album/current tour hasn't done better than usual right?

bloodfiend wrote:So with 7 bands each day on the main stage now, which are all "name" bands, you can almost guarantee the last 2 bands for each day are going to the first 2 bands that play and are going to be filler nobodies like Broken Teeth, Forever Still, Cambion, Hark, Beholder, Stormbringer etc

They really need to utilize those slots better, sometimes they can hit the nail on the head with these slots (Savage Messiah, Ghost Bath, Aborted, Death Angel, hell even Evil Scarecrow) and use them to elevate a band bubbling under the surface but as you point out, sometimes it just smacks of whatever's cheapest or easiest. If they do it right it could help tilt the quality of the mainstage in the right direction this year, don't hold out much hope though.

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:34 pm

houston4044 wrote:They really need to utilize those slots better, sometimes they can hit the nail on the head with these slots (Savage Messiah, Ghost Bath, Aborted, Death Angel, hell even Evil Scarecrow) and use them to elevate a band bubbling under the surface but as you point out, sometimes it just smacks of whatever's cheapest or easiest. If they do it right it could help tilt the quality of the mainstage in the right direction this year, don't hold out much hope though.

That's what I'm hoping. Would be nice to get some decent sized bands that people have actually heard of in those slots. Bands like Lost Society and Orange Goblin would probably be the right size for those slots and are actually bands that people have mentioned previously. We can only hope!

Also, there's still the Thursday night headliner to come which could be fairly decent sized band

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:10 am

houston4044 wrote:
i0th wrote:

I wasn't ignoring ES, I didn't realize they had done the same. So this would be the first "high profile" one then? Thing is, nothing against CC but it's got to be for budgetary or availability reasons surely? The last album/current tour hasn't done better than usual right?

bloodfiend wrote:So with 7 bands each day on the main stage now, which are all "name" bands, you can almost guarantee the last 2 bands for each day are going to the first 2 bands that play and are going to be filler nobodies like Broken Teeth, Forever Still, Cambion, Hark, Beholder, Stormbringer etc

They really need to utilize those slots better, sometimes they can hit the nail on the head with these slots (Savage Messiah, Ghost Bath, Aborted, Death Angel, hell even Evil Scarecrow) and use them to elevate a band bubbling under the surface but as you point out, sometimes it just smacks of whatever's cheapest or easiest. If they do it right it could help tilt the quality of the mainstage in the right direction this year, don't hold out much hope though.

Not sure about CC's album sales but I know some of their dates on this tour have sold out. In Norwich tonight I heard the guy on the door saying there were only 20 tickets left to someone who was buying one so it seems to be selling well. Although I didn't attend Bloodstock in 2015, I heard they had a really good crowd so I can see why they bumped them up to special guest as a safe decision.