Next announcement

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Re: Next announcement

Postby Jay1993 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:47 pm

Happy with Onslaught. saw them in 2016 in Chester and they were awesome. Adds a bit of thrash to the bill too. Is this their first time on the main stage?

There's a couple of names I'm familiar with - Reprisal and De Profundis - but I don't know their music. Not heard of any of the other so plenty to check out, Love Bites sound promising with the positive response they're getting on here.

So Friday's main stage is complete now with two left to announce on Saturday and Sunday. I still feel the weekend is missing a big-ish thrash band in one of the top four slots but I'm not sure what chance there is of someone like Exodus being booked now.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:05 pm

2010 Onslaught played mainstage.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:15 pm

Jay1993 wrote:There's a couple of names I'm familiar with - Reprisal and De Profundis - but I don't know their music.

Ignore the "Brit thrash outfit" description in the announcement. Reprisal are a death metal band, and a terrible one at that. They won their M2TM final the other year despite putting on the worst performance of the night, and they've been rubbish on the other occasions I've seen them as well.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Jay1993

Postby Jay1993 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:35 pm

Tet wrote:
Jay1993 wrote:There's a couple of names I'm familiar with - Reprisal and De Profundis - but I don't know their music.

Ignore the "Brit thrash outfit" description in the announcement. Reprisal are a death metal band, and a terrible one at that. They won their M2TM final the other year despite putting on the worst performance of the night, and they've been rubbish on the other occasions I've seen them as well.

Gave Reprisal a quick listen earlier and yeah they didn't really strike me as a thrash band. There's some thrash elements in there but the vocals were a bit too bland for me! Would agree they're more death than thrash.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:42 pm

I would call Reprisal thrash myself, though oddly the closest band I would compare them to would be Devildriver. I thought they were alright when they were on the NB stage the other year; I'll certainly be trying to catch them again this year.

The Friday is looking fairly decent now, there are some bands who I need to listen to some more but show some potential, I just hope the clashes are favourable.

Jay1993

Postby Jay1993 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:18 pm

houston4044 wrote:I would call Reprisal thrash myself, though oddly the closest band I would compare them to would be Devildriver. I thought they were alright when they were on the NB stage the other year; I'll certainly be trying to catch them again this year.

The Friday is looking fairly decent now, there are some bands who I need to listen to some more but show some potential, I just hope the clashes are favourable.

Yeah I definitely hear the Devildriver vibe, I'm pretty on the fence about Devildriver though which is probably why I feel the same about Reprisal :lol:

My clashfinder is looking really busy on the Friday and fairly busy on Saturday but not so much on the Sunday!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:22 pm

Jay1993 wrote:Yeah I definitely hear the Devildriver vibe, I'm pretty on the fence about Devildriver though which is probably why I feel the same about Reprisal :lol:

My clashfinder is looking really busy on the Friday and fairly busy on Saturday but not so much on the Sunday!

If there isn't a clash I'd suggest giving them a watch, they were enjoyable last time but if there is someone else clashing that you're dying to see then I wouldn't bother.

After giving them a listen I've remembered that I've seen Feed The Rhino a few times, they were that memorable :lol:

robin8585

Postby robin8585 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:54 am

Primal Fear just announced a 20 year anniversary tour starting in September. Maybe a chance we'll get them added?

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:56 am

robin8585 wrote:Primal Fear just announced a 20 year anniversary tour starting in September. Maybe a chance we'll get them added?

I think you answered that yourself.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:36 am

robin8585 wrote:Primal Fear just announced a 20 year anniversary tour starting in September. Maybe a chance we'll get them added?

Sadly I doubt it. Road trip from Edinburgh to London for me as I will see them on the London date.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

robin8585

Postby robin8585 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:53 am

jwh20 wrote:

I think you answered that yourself.

Of course, I forgot bands never do festival dates in addition to tours, or add dates after initial announcements.

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:35 am

Anyone got any ideas when the next announcement is? I was hoping it would be today as it's been 2 weeks since the last one but I haven't heard anything to confirm this

Jay1993

Postby Jay1993 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:49 pm

kurrupo wrote:Anyone got any ideas when the next announcement is? I was hoping it would be today as it's been 2 weeks since the last one but I haven't heard anything to confirm this

Not a clue :?

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:55 am

Its kinda difficult to even put in an educated guess at this stage.

Tbh, I'd be happy with bands I'd recognise really.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:06 pm

By my count we still need:

2 bands - RJD Saturday
2 bands - RJD Sunday
5 bands - Sophie Thursday
2 bands - Sophie Friday
5 bands - Sophie Saturday
2 bands - Sophie Sunday
13 bands - New Blood Friday
13 bands - New Blood Saturday
13 bands - New Blood Sunday
5 bands - Jager Friday
5 bands - Jager Saturday
5 bands - Jager Sunday

So, 72 still to come.

We're roughly 16-17 weeks out, so that's roughly 4 or 5 per week. Assuming that a few of them will be announced in large blocks, I think we can probs expect the announcements to remain as approx ever 2-3 weeks, just with the occasional large announcement (particularly when we get to New Blood bands).