Next announcement

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Re: Next announcement

Postby Jay1993 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:16 am

Wow! What an awesome announcement, the best in a long time in my opinion! Very happy to see Power Trip on the main stage, a popular band that are making waves so a logical decision. Conjurer are also a rising band so it's great to see them get a Sophie slot. I've heard a couple of their tracks and have been meaning to check out more of their stuff for a while so I'll get on to that. A Forest of Stars is another great addition and brings some diversity to the bill. I listened to them a while back but didn't really dig it but I will make an effort to revisit them. Listened to Alien Weaponry a while back, very interesting band and I'm very surprised to see them get booked, will probably watch. I've heard the name Forgotten Remains thrown around but never listened to them. Not heard of Bio-Cancer but after listening to one song I'm definitely interested!

I'm surprised that a lot of people haven't heard of many of these bands before. Most of them are established at a local level and have had a lot of promotion recently. This announcement has definitely improved my Sunday, looks like I will mainly be at the Sophie stage!

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:05 pm

Tet wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:Bit harsh... 21 minutes.... :P

Ahhh, I was being lazy and going by the time on your post above, which implied the announcement was at 10:00. But no, it was just the forum not using daylight saving time. Either way, 20 minutes is still too long.

...and the final result? 8 hours and 21 minutes late.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Leemanruss
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Leemanruss » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:55 pm

Tet wrote:
Tet wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:Bit harsh... 21 minutes.... :P

Ahhh, I was being lazy and going by the time on your post above, which implied the announcement was at 10:00. But no, it was just the forum not using daylight saving time. Either way, 20 minutes is still too long.

...and the final result? 8 hours and 21 minutes late.

Haha, I was reading through this thread last night and saw the final outcome before seeing your posts. Had to chuckle a little. Its sad what this forum seems to have become to the organisers, opting for a FB group instead (an unofficial one at that). Remember when they were present in the forums? Remember that "S'tan" character who was gonna make the forum better and reduce the gap between us punters and the organisers a few years ago? I'm surprised the forum is even still here to be honest.
Atmosfest: '17 '18
BOA: '08 '09 '10 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '16 '17 '18 '19
Damnation: '11 '13 '16 '17
Download: '06
HammerFest: '09 '17
Hellfest: '17
HRH Vikings: '18
PMQF: '17 '18
Ragnarok: '18
Wacken: '17
Wacken Winter Nights: '19
Warhorns: '16 '17 '18 '19

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:26 am

As a marketing/promotional tool Facebook is infinitely better than this forum. Several thousand see it, share it, discuss it...whereas here, even in its pomp, there'd have probably only been a couple hundred people reading posts. It's a shame, as forums work so much better than Facebook groups for discussion, but less and less people are using them.

JPMC
Warrior of Metal

Postby JPMC » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:10 am

Soze wrote:As a marketing/promotional tool Facebook is infinitely better than this forum. Several thousand see it, share it, discuss it...whereas here, even in its pomp, there'd have probably only been a couple hundred people reading posts. It's a shame, as forums work so much better than Facebook groups for discussion, but less and less people are using them.

Bloody millennial assholes!

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:57 pm

JPMC wrote:Bloody millennial assholes!

Well yes. But Bloodstock themselves put the nail in the coffin by screwing over the forum one too many times. The unnecessary and prolonged outages, the pointless "updates" that made it visually abysmal, the lack of updates here compared to other channels. True, it will never be able to compete with Facebook, but it could have remained a thriving community. They made sure it didn't :-(
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:32 pm

Tet wrote:
JPMC wrote:Bloody millennial assholes!

Well yes. But Bloodstock themselves put the nail in the coffin by screwing over the forum one too many times. The unnecessary and prolonged outages, the pointless "updates" that made it visually abysmal, the lack of updates here compared to other channels. True, it will never be able to compete with Facebook, but it could have remained a thriving community. They made sure it didn't :-(

While its true they have mismanaged things I think the same thing would happen eventually.

In my experience the only situation where forums really thrive now is when discussing board topics that require lots of segmentation. Any single topic forum like this was always going to get smaller and smaller when up against Facebook

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:35 pm

...but Facebook is full of massive idiots.

Yes, there aren't many of us, but there is more sense in one inane forum post about the lack of (whatever type of metal you like) than a whole FB comments section.

If the forum fully dies, I'm out.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:07 pm

Think I'm gonna give it a miss this year....actually I definitely am as I have a ticket to Brutal Assault which is on the same weekend!!!

Conjurer are good, A Forest Of Stars are amazing, but they're never that good live, whenever I've seen them, the sound's always been terrible.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:49 am

metaldinosaur wrote:

Don't think you get a choice there :lol:

I'm starting to come round on this year's line up, a lot of bands who I didn't listen to regularly or at all announced so at first it looked really poor for me. Now I've been listening to them I've found a bunch of bands I really do like and have missed out on, Nightwish, Kamelot, Orphaned Land and Bloodbath chief among them.

bloodblind
Consort of the Beast

Postby bloodblind » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:39 pm

houston4044 wrote:
metaldinosaur wrote:

I'm starting to come round on this year's line up, a lot of bands who I didn't listen to regularly or at all announced so at first it looked really poor for me. Now I've been listening to them I've found a bunch of bands I really do like and have missed out on, Nightwish, Kamelot, Orphaned Land and Bloodbath chief among them.

Joined the forum a few years ago but it feels like I’m posting from beyond the outside of a clique apart from a few members who have been good fun, so have pretty much stopped posting. I’m mostly on metal Ireland these days. Line up is Luke warm this year except Friday but the Sophie stage is looking good and power trip is a great addition

bloodblind
Consort of the Beast

Postby bloodblind » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:40 pm

Conjurer sound great too. Definitely checking them out

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:54 am

I only started posting a few months back and it'd be a real shame if it stopped because I find the posts on here are a lot more rational and less troll like than on Facebook. Also after reading (but never posting) on the download forums I've found here a lot more welcoming, unlike the DL ones where I get feeling that unless you're a 'regular' you're not welcome or entitled to an opinion

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:26 pm

houston4044 wrote:
metaldinosaur wrote:

Oops, I should have clarified. I ment 'out' of any Bloodstock social media stuff. Can't stand Facebook and twater.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:19 am

“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp