Next announcement

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Re: Next announcement

Postby jwh20 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:54 am

Yeah don't get people saying that at all, but I guess given the sort of thing I've been listening to lately, bloodstock would never book those sorts of extreme metal bands. I find Bloodbath unfathomably boring but I guess they shift tickets.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Wed May 23, 2018 5:25 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Have you ever listened to Emperor? :?

No way are Emperor a relentless barrage of noise. If you listen to the music they are actually quite mellow and it's very well played, more akin to classical than anything. Maybe a trip to Specsavers Opticians is needed.

Yes, Emperor are positively easy-listening.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed May 23, 2018 5:38 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Have you ever listened to Emperor? :?

No way are Emperor a relentless barrage of noise. If you listen to the music they are actually quite mellow and it's very well played, more akin to classical than anything. Maybe a trip to Specsavers Opticians is needed.

I also don't understand how anyone is thinking this years festival is particularly "extreme". Are you just looking at the band names or logos and thinking they are all "extreme"?

There are only about six extreme bands on the whole of the mainstage.

You really need some new material as you've made the whole "specsavers / hearing tests" joke many times before...

And yes, to me, Emperor are just noise. And pretty shit noise at that

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu May 24, 2018 7:56 am

I guess this shows how people have definitions of 'extreme'. To some, it's a specific subset of bands that would inhabit the heavier end of the spectrum, to others it could mean a lot of bands that simply don't have clean vocals.

As for Emeperor... I think they are one of those borderline bands. To someone who doesn't like the heavier subgenres, they may seem quite extreme. Whereas fans of black metal (and beyond) see a lot of their work as not extreme at all (they do have quite a lot of melodic and proggy elements).

As for this year's line-up, the main stage have plenty of 'non-extreme' bands, I think. Friday has Priest, Kamelot, Suicidal Tendencies and Wednesday 13 (I'm not familiar enough with Onslaught and Feed the Rhino to comment on them yet).

Saturday - Nailed to Obscurity, Power Trip, Orden Ogan, Combichrist, Alestorm, are all not extreme. Some are certainly heavy, but not extreme. (Don't know Venom Inc enough to comment, and Gojira are a weird one for me. They are certainly bloody heavy... but extreme? Hmmm).

Sunday - Monument, Evergrey, Amaranthe, Fozzy, Mr Big and Nightwish is probably the most melodic combination of six bands BOA has had on the main stage for years. We don't actually know who Jasta is bringing along, and I don't consider Devildriver to be properly extreme - they are more a hybrid of groove and melodic death metal).

I will say that the Sophie stage has a higher proportion of bands towards the heavier end of the spectrum, but that seems fine to me - it looks pretty balanced imo (in the melodic v heavy v extreme sense).

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu May 24, 2018 4:09 pm

Neither Onslaught nor Venom inc. are particularly extreme but at the same time wouldn't necessarily appeal to someone who predominately listens to stuff like Nightwish or Orden Ogan. Venom were extreme in about 1982, by 1984 there were dozens of bands far faster, nastier and noisier! Onslaught are a standard old school 80s thrash band...indeed their third album was virtually traditional metal (although they won't play anything from it).

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:37 am

Anyone else depressed about the fact that festival season is about to kick off but we have to wait until August for Bloodstock? I wanna be back noooooooow! :lol:

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Fri May 25, 2018 12:05 pm

Jay1993 wrote:Anyone else depressed about the fact that festival season is about to kick off but we have to wait until August for Bloodstock? I wanna be back noooooooow! :lol:

Yep im already massively over excited.

Fortunately iv got Metaldays first so not quite as long a wait

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Fri May 25, 2018 12:17 pm

Seeing The Gathering twice in the Netherlands at the end of June and just found out today I have had the leave approved for Metal Days, so unsure now if will be doing Bloodstock! Both feel like a long wait though!

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri May 25, 2018 12:31 pm

Cassius wrote:
Jay1993 wrote:Anyone else depressed about the fact that festival season is about to kick off but we have to wait until August for Bloodstock? I wanna be back noooooooow! :lol:

Yep im already massively over excited.

Fortunately iv got Metaldays first so not quite as long a wait

I've got Rockfest Barcelona first plus a day at Download so festival season is very close for me!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Fri May 25, 2018 8:56 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
houston4044 wrote:
I could of sworn Obzidian have played BOA before :?

I think you might be getting mistaken with another band called Obsidian Kingdom that played about two years ago.

Or you've seen Obzidian elsewhere. Possibly something like HRH. They aren't exactly strangers to the Metal gig circuit.

Ah thanks, that explains why the name rings a bell :yes:

Don't know why but reading this actually made me realize, I swear we've got a lot more of the bill already announced at this stage in comparison to other years, hell at this rate I'd be looking forward to stage times being out in July :D

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Fri May 25, 2018 9:37 pm

I'm fine. I have four Iron Maiden shows plus Scorpions/Megadeth before Bloodstock.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Sat May 26, 2018 8:50 am

I have no gigs at all before Bloodstock but there is the small matter of a family holiday at the start of July and then I am off over a chunk of the month while I do my bit covering the school holidays (and referee my kids). Bloodstock will be a relaxing weekend break!
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Sat May 26, 2018 3:59 pm

I also have nothing between now and Bloodstock, maybe that's why it seems so far away :(

Everdreamer1990
Lowly Peon

Postby Everdreamer1990 » Sat May 26, 2018 7:50 pm

Jay1993 wrote:I also have nothing between now and Bloodstock, maybe that's why it seems so far away :(

I'm the same. We were going to do Download on the Saturday but the tickets were way too expensive so a long wait for me too.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:50 am

Between now and BOA the main thing I have is the fringe at Tramlines festival 20th - 22nd July.

On the Friday I'll probably be heading down to the Mulberry Tavern to watch some classic / hard rock bands, including Delirium (a favourite of mine here in Sheff).

On the Saturday I'll likely be at the City Hall. They are putting on the following bands for just £6 or so: Agent Fresco, Gallops, Jamie Lenman, Jo Quail, Koyo, Pijn, Svalbard, Talons and The Physics House Band.

On the Sunday, I'll be moseying between Doomlines (Coltsblood, Witchsorrow, Kurokuma, Ommadon, Archelon, Groak, Tuskar, Barbarian Hermit, A Hundred Black Kites, Damn Craters) and a prog / post / math rock line up that West Street Live is hosting (Alpha Male Tea Party, Body Hound, Awoga, Skyligers, Irk, a-tota-so, Rob Ford Explorer, Frantic, and Bovidae).

I also have the Deltanaut album launch the weekend before BOA too.