Next announcement

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
metalicbear
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:41 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: Next announcement

Postby metalicbear » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:23 am

Judas Priest is an inspired booking. I would watch Nightwish, not remotely interested in the other bands. Not worth the money so far.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon
Posts: 3294
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: Next announcement

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:38 am

cheesemason wrote:Emperor is amazing - thought I'd missed the Anthems shows so made up with this. My favourite black metal album of all time. Now looking for the moon on a stick and hoping they get an hour and fifteen like Avantasia did the other year so they can do their full set with encore that they did last summer.


They don't really need that long, Anthems is less than 44 minutes long, and the festival set was that album, plus an encore of Curse You All Men, In Am The Black Wizards and Inno A Satana. They don't talk to the crowd much, so they can squeeze the full set into an hour. I think they only had an hour at Graspop, and they played the full set.

User avatar
cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers
Posts: 929
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:48 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: Next announcement

Postby cheesemason » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:44 am

bloodfiend wrote:
cheesemason wrote:Emperor is amazing - thought I'd missed the Anthems shows so made up with this. My favourite black metal album of all time. Now looking for the moon on a stick and hoping they get an hour and fifteen like Avantasia did the other year so they can do their full set with encore that they did last summer.


They don't really need that long, Anthems is less than 44 minutes long, and the festival set was that album, plus an encore of Curse You All Men, In Am The Black Wizards and Inno A Satana. They don't talk to the crowd much, so they can squeeze the full set into an hour. I think they only had an hour at Graspop, and they played the full set.


They officially had an hour and fifteen at Graspop but may not have used it. Even without much talking the album would probably be nearer 50 mins live as these things always take a little longer. So maybe not quite hour and fifteen but a little more than an hour I would have thought

bloodfiend
Denim Demon
Posts: 3294
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: Next announcement

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:52 am

cheesemason wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:
cheesemason wrote:Emperor is amazing - thought I'd missed the Anthems shows so made up with this. My favourite black metal album of all time. Now looking for the moon on a stick and hoping they get an hour and fifteen like Avantasia did the other year so they can do their full set with encore that they did last summer.


They don't really need that long, Anthems is less than 44 minutes long, and the festival set was that album, plus an encore of Curse You All Men, In Am The Black Wizards and Inno A Satana. They don't talk to the crowd much, so they can squeeze the full set into an hour. I think they only had an hour at Graspop, and they played the full set.


They officially had an hour and fifteen at Graspop but may not have used it. Even without much talking the album would probably be nearer 50 mins live as these things always take a little longer. So maybe not quite hour and fifteen but a little more than an hour I would have thought


It can't be much over an hour so I'm sure they'll get the full set time, the Anthems album seemed to pass very quickly, they used Alsvartr (The Oath) as an intro tape rather than actually playing it, played The Wanderer joined into end of With Strength I Burn, and were hardly off stage for any time. It may be very slightly over an hour, but definitely wouldn't need 75 mins.

Edit - and Avantasia got an hour and half, not an hour and 15 mins, so essentially a full headline set length/

User avatar
Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2574
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:42 pm
Location: Sheffield
Contact:

Re: Next announcement

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:51 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:I don't think it's a stretch that Emperor could drop to sub, particularly if it was on Friday beneath Priest.


Called it. 8)
Image

Dombag
Warrior of Metal
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: Next announcement

Postby Dombag » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:04 pm

Very happy with Emperor and Nails.

Saw a fair few Nails t-shirts this year, had a feeling they might get booked.
home of metal breakdown http://stbproduction.blogspot.co.uk/

User avatar
Black Wizard
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1424
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:47 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Next announcement

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:49 pm

I'm really happy that Devildriver have been announced. I've been waiting since Download 2007 to see them again! I'll watch Emperor but I'm not all that bothered by them and I have no idea who Nails are but I suspect they're heavier than my usual taste.

User avatar
metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:56 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Next announcement

Postby metaldinosaur » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:00 pm

Indeed, Emperor is an awesome announcement!
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 724
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:21 pm

Re: Next announcement

Postby Jay1993 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:45 pm

Good announcement!

Emperor have been requested a lot and will please black metal fans who didn't get much this year. I enjoyed their show in 2014 and will definitely watch them again. Have they confirmed they're playing Anthems in full? I've never listened to that album but will make sure I do!

Devildriver were due a return. Again, I enjoyed them last time and would watch again.I need to listen to more of their stuff beforehand this time though!

Quite surprised with Nails! I've been interested in seeing them since they pulled out of Damnation last year so I'm glad I'll get the chance to. Will be interesting to see what slot they get.

My predictions were way off the mark :lol:

bloodfiend
Denim Demon
Posts: 3294
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: Next announcement

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:14 am

Jay1993 wrote:Have they confirmed they're playing Anthems in full?


Pretty much, they've said they going to carry on doing the Anthems set next year, I hope they don't though, the first album destroys it and I'd much rather see more of that played.

Now they've done the anniversary playing of Anthems, I wonder if they're going to do the anniversary of XI Equilibrium in 2009? I hope not, it's a terrible album, but no doubt they'll get plenty of money thrown at them to encourage them to do it.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets
Posts: 1836
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:38 am
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Next announcement

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:57 am

Dombag wrote:Saw a fair few Nails t-shirts this year, had a feeling they might get booked.


If that's all it takes then I can't wait for the Iced Earth announcement... :eyes:

User avatar
Soze
Denim Demon
Posts: 7784
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:24 pm
Location: Plymouth
Contact:

Re: Next announcement

Postby Soze » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:05 am

bloodfiend wrote:Pretty much, they've said they going to carry on doing the Anthems set next year, I hope they don't though, the first album destroys it and I'd much rather see more of that played.

Now they've done the anniversary playing of Anthems, I wonder if they're going to do the anniversary of XI Equilibrium in 2009? I hope not, it's a terrible album, but no doubt they'll get plenty of money thrown at them to encourage them to do it.


I don't think there's much difference between Nightside and Anthems personally, they're both fantastic albums. If I were to compile an Emperor compilation I'd probably be about 40/40 split from the 2 albums, possibly 45/45, with the rest from the other two. IX Equilibrium is certainly not terrible but it isn't as good as the first two, I don't think it's held in anywhere near as high esteem to warrant a live album play through. It's the fourth album I pretty much never return to.

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4330
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Next announcement

Postby houston4044 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:18 am

3/3 from that announcement for me

Emperor- I'm surprised they put them on the JP day as I doubt that day will need help shifting tickets but it's a boon nonetheless. I'm not too familiar with Anthems but from what I've listened to so far I'm personally enjoying it more than ITNE

Devildriver- Great band who have always been strong live, would of thought they'd have been on Gojira day but there you go. Hopefully they lean more on the classics than the last album though

Nails- Been a fan ever since last year's album, was gutted I couldn't make the Underworld date in November but now I don't need to worry :D

Solid start so far, 2 headliners I'm 50/50 on but the rest are top notch

Luciam
Powermetal Child
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:23 pm

Re: Next announcement

Postby Luciam » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:31 am

bloodfiend wrote:
Jay1993 wrote:Have they confirmed they're playing Anthems in full?


Pretty much, they've said they going to carry on doing the Anthems set next year, I hope they don't though, the first album destroys it and I'd much rather see more of that played.

Now they've done the anniversary playing of Anthems, I wonder if they're going to do the anniversary of XI Equilibrium in 2009? I hope not, it's a terrible album, but no doubt they'll get plenty of money thrown at them to encourage them to do it.


Confirmed by Ihsahn in the announcement http://www.bloodstock.uk.com/news/emper ... stock-2018

bloodfiend
Denim Demon
Posts: 3294
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: Next announcement

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:16 pm

Soze wrote:I don't think there's much difference between Nightside and Anthems personally, they're both fantastic albums. If I were to compile an Emperor compilation I'd probably be about 40/40 split from the 2 albums, possibly 45/45, with the rest from the other two. IX Equilibrium is certainly not terrible but it isn't as good as the first two, I don't think it's held in anywhere near as high esteem to warrant a live album play through. It's the fourth album I pretty much never return to.


Not meaning to get overly elitist, kvlt or whatever, but for me Emperor's other albums are massively inferior to Nightside. However I will say that I absolutely love the Thorns Vs Emperor split CD; everyone raved about the Thorns album when it came out, but I didn't like much, the T vs E album that preceeded it was fantastic though. Also I like Emperor's early split CDs and demos a lot, as I love the early 90s BM sound.

I got Anthems on the day it came out in 97 and couldn't wait to hear it, but I was so disappointed with, firstly the production was completely unsuited to the music and the vocals were way too low down, secondly they'd lost almost all the atmosphere they had on Nightside and gone for this pompous Manowar meets black metal sound that I hated. Equilibrium was just a bland metal album, and Prometheus was a complete mess and all over the shop; laying the groundwork for Ihsahn's solo stuff, which I've always hated.