Next announcement

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Tet
Denim Demon

Re: Next announcement

Postby Tet » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:52 pm

bloodfiend wrote:they'd lost almost all the atmosphere they had on Nightside and gone for this pompous Manowar meets black metal sound

Ha ha ha. Maybe that's why I prefer it to Nightside, then!
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:36 pm

Tet wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:they'd lost almost all the atmosphere they had on Nightside and gone for this pompous Manowar meets black metal sound

Ha ha ha. Maybe that's why I prefer it to Nightside, then!

Same for me :lol: Not a big black metal fan but do enjoy it when it mixes with other genres (blackened thrash, shoe-gaze, death etc) so would explain why I prefer a less "pure" black metal album.

Just realized that Nails only have about 45 mins of material over their 3 albums, if they really wanted to they could squash 3 albums into their slot :o

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:48 pm

Emperor are certainly subheadliners then, but are Devildriver also?

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:42 am

Black Wizard wrote:Emperor are certainly subheadliners then, but are Devildriver also?

Doesn't say so - just 'a main stage slot' - so presuming not
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:04 am

Bit late to the party on this but yeah, Anthems doesn't even hold a candle to Nightside.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:24 am

Blake_Porter wrote:Bit late to the party on this but yeah, Anthems doesn't even hold a candle to Nightside.

Someone talking sense!

in terms of Emperor releases, order for me goes:

1. Nightside
2. Thorns Vs Emperor
3. Wrath Of The Tyrant
(big gap)
4. Anthems
(HUGE gap)
5. Equilibrium
6. Prometheus

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:27 am

For me I'd say that there are great songs across all the albums, and the best Emperor setlist would be a mix of them all rather than one specific album.

I'd say ITNSE is the best, but even though every track on the album is really good, the last two on the album are unreal. In the same way Loss and Curse of Reverence, With Strength I burn and Thus Spake the Nightspirit are much better than the rest on Anthems, and could fit better in a live set than a few on ITNSE. An Elegy of Icarus, Sworn and Curse You All Men from IX Equilibrium I'd say are certainly among their best songs too.

So the setlist they've been doing with all of Anthems, last two from ITNSE and Curse You All Men is pretty much perfect for me, seeing as, as much as I love it, Cosmic Keys to My Creations and Times wouldn't really work as an encore.

Basically it would be great if they would just do a mixed set of songs from each album again rather than doing a whole album in full, as it just feels like it's lacking a classic or two each time, but I feel like now between having seen the ITNSE and Anthems sets live I've seen them do practically all their best material, but had they not come back with the Anthems set, I would still feel shortchanged by not getting WSIB and TSPTNS in 2014.

At the end of the day though I'll see Emperor no matter the setlist. And I thought Devourment would get me the most excited at Netherlands Death Fest...

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:17 pm

Black Wizard wrote:Emperor are certainly subheadliners then, but are Devildriver also?

I'd very much doubt it, they played 3rd in 2013 and they seemed to have plateaued since then, imagine they'd be 3rd or 4th now.

I'm going to throw a controversial opinion out there, Emperor are the weakest band announced so far for me. Not that they're bad but I'd take the other 5 bands over Emperor in a flash.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:23 pm

houston4044 wrote:

I'd very much doubt it, they played 3rd in 2013 and they seemed to have plateaued since then, imagine they'd be 3rd or 4th now.

I'm going to throw a controversial opinion out there, Emperor are the weakest band announced so far for me. Not that they're bad but I'd take the other 5 bands over Emperor in a flash.

If Emperor were playing Nightside again they'd easily be the best band for me, but doing the Anthems setlist, they're behind Nightwish and Priest in my preferences. The other 3 bands are terrible, so coming in third isn't really much of an achievement right now.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:22 pm

Emperor are well in front for me, followed by Priest.

The others I wouldn't cross the road for. Seriously, I've been offered a freebie to see Gojira previously and stayed in the pub as I couldn't be arsed walking a few hundred yards. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:09 pm

I'm with Gandalf, Emperor are the reason I would buy a ticket at the moment. I love Priest but they're past their best and weren't great the last time I saw them. The other 4 are all shite.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:18 pm

someone else wrote:Doesn't say so - just 'a main stage slot' - so presuming not

houston4044 wrote:I'd very much doubt it, they played 3rd in 2013 and they seemed to have plateaued since then, imagine they'd be 3rd or 4th now.

Fair enough.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:44 am

Now I think about it, still very early days but if Devildriver take 3rd again then it does raise the prospect of BOA repeating WT in 2015, a melodic headliner with a heavy undercard

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:08 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
Blake_Porter wrote:Bit late to the party on this but yeah, Anthems doesn't even hold a candle to Nightside.

Someone talking sense!

in terms of Emperor releases, order for me goes:

1. Nightside
2. Thorns Vs Emperor
3. Wrath Of The Tyrant
(big gap)
4. Anthems
(HUGE gap)
5. Equilibrium
6. Prometheus

Yeah, that is more or less how I would order it as well. Those last two albums are fucking pretentious proggy piles of gash.

zombieman
Consort of the Beast

Postby zombieman » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:17 pm

Well just to buck the trend and show we all have different tastes. Emperor are the one band I have no interest at all in seeing.

Happy with Priest as a headliner and whilst I'll watch the other two headliners not sure they are true headliners (chief supports).

Can't claim Devildriver do much for me and I'll see Nails at Damnation all being well.